Aboite Township Cemeteries
Township Organized in May 1836
Google maps are slow to load - wait for colored pins to show
View Allen County, Indiana Cemeteries in a larger map
Click on blue Aboite Township pin to see name of cemetery
or click link above to see all cemeteries in a new window.
The city of Fort Wayne straddles the eastern township line in the increasingly suburban Aboite Township.
The Allen County Genealogical Society has a name only index to all county cemeteries through the 1980's publishing date. Check the Allen County Lookup page for a volunteer willing to do lookups from the cemetery books, which are published and for sale by the Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana.
The Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter NSDAR, (National Society Daughter's of the American Revolution) Allen County Indiana Cemetery Project contains transcribed names from the DAR readings in 1932 and ACGSI readings in the 1980's and will eventually have photographs of all tombstones in all Allen County, Indiana cemeteries.
Find-A-Grave may have names, dates, similar tombstone photos, some newspaper obituaries and occasionally additional family information. Obituaries can be found in the Genealogy Center Obituary Index where volunteers will find, photocopy and mail the copies when ordered for a small copying fee. Recent obituaries will often be found online on the Funeral Home web sites or within one year of publication on the local Fort Wayne newspapers Legacy.com site.
Some Google maps on main streets and roads will allow street level viewing if you View the Larger Map and click the little orange person icon. It opens in a new window which you close by clicking the X in the upper right of the window to Exit Street View and return to the map.
Township Trustees are responsible for cemetery maintenance. The Allen County, Indiana government web site has a list of Township Trustees and their contact information. Links to Indiana State laws related to county and township cemeteries are found on our Cemetery page.
Rural cemetery south side of Lower Huntington Road, 0.2 mile East of Branstrator Road
Earliest date is March 17, 1837. No longer in use. Indiana DNR (Department of Natural Resources) lists it in Lafayette Township. NSDAR photo and Find-A-Grave photos show only a few pieces of tombstones remain. IN DNR Latitude 41.0028 Longitude 85.2481 is slightly different from Google map Latitude 41.049211 and Longitude -85.232878.
City cemetery, 3801 Sleepy Hollow Lane, on East side of West Jefferson Boulevard near Aboite Center Road
City cemetery, 8408 Covington Road, Fort Wayne, Indiana,46804, phone: (260) 432-2508, web site
City cemetery, 6600 Covington Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46804, phone: 260-432-3914, web site
Modern public cemetery with office, earliest date is 1932. West of Time Corners, which so many incorrectly call Times Corner including Google maps. Time Corners was named for one clock at a gas station which used to be at the multi road / corners intersection. Records and maps available at the cemetery office.
No longer exists. Was located on Aboite Center Road. The rural family cemetery was transferred March 12, 1895 to Lindenwood Cemetery from the family farm according to the Klaehn Mortuary records. Earliest date was 1867. Indiana DNR location lists in Section 17, Township 30N, and Range 11E.
City location is now the Bittersweet Moors housing development.
No stones remain. Mr. Turner's settlement was known as the Maryland Settlement. Earliest date was 1834. This burial ground is now the Bittersweet Moors housing development shown on Google map around Bittersweet Lake.
Indiana DNR location lists in Section 28, Township 30N, Range 11E. If you know what happened to the tombstones please let us know.
Formerly located on the Aboite Road, west of Scott Road. Could not locate in 1981 for the tombstone readings. Indiana DNR location lists as Section 10, Township 30N, Range 11E. If you know anything about the location of this cemetery please let us know.
No longer exists, was transferred to Lindenwood Cemetery, formerly located on Redding Drive and Aboite Road, near U.S. 24 South. Was near a lock on the Wabash and Erie Canal. The Vermilyea House is an Indiana Historic District shown on our Google map. Earliest date was 1833.