Marion Township Cemeteries

Organized in August 1835

Google maps are slow to load - wait for colored pins to show


View Allen County, Indiana Cemeteries in a larger map
Click on the red push pin to see the name of the cemetery
or click the link above to see all cemeteries.

Hoagland and Poe are the main towns in rural Marion Township.

Antioch Lutheran Cemetery

Rural cemetery located on the south side near 10000 Hoagland Road, between Brunson and Minnick Roads, or ½ mile west of Hoagland

Earliest date September 21 1852. In use. has 162 internments. IN DNR Latitude 40.9472 Longitude 85.0075.

Back to top

Bethel Baptist Cemetery

Rural cemetery located on the south side near 17240 Winchester Road, approximately ½ mile north of the Marion Center Road

Earliest date November 6, 1836. Not in use. IN DNR Latitude 40.9242 Longitude 85.0622. The Indiana Genealogical Society has an online index.

COLEMAN Family Cemetery

Rural cemetery located on the west side of Marion Center Road, approximately one half mile south of the Maples, Wayne Trace, Adams Center, Marion Center Roads intersection

Earliest date 1852. Not in use. At one time, had 25 to 30 markers. There are two new markers in this cemetery with deaths of 1996 and 1999. IN DNR Latitude 40.9986 Longitude 85.0569.

Emmanuel Lutheran Cemetery - Soest Emmanuel Cemetery

Rural cemetery located at 9909 Wayne Trace at Emanuel Road

Earliest date 1863. In use. Active Church and cemetery. IN DNR Latitude 40.9967 Longitude 85.035.

Back to top

Hall Cemetery

Was located on the Emanuel Road ¼ mile north of the Hoagland Road. Plowed field on the Oscar Werling farm. Tombstones are missing. No longer exists. If you know anything about this cemetery please let us know.

Hessen Cassel Roman Catholic Cemetery

See Saint Joseph Roman Catholic Cemetery

Hitzeman Lutheran Settlement

Was located at the Minnick Road, just north of the Adams County line. (Fore-runner of Saint John's of Adams County). Burials were removed to Saint John, Bingen. Adams Co.

HOLT Family Cemetery

See Antioch Lutheran Cemetery

MORTON Family Cemetery

Rural cemetery located along the east bank of the Saint Mary's River, off the Marion Center Road, Poe, Indiana

Earliest date April 1826 - 1868. No longer in use. 3 Morton family members were buried here - indicated by a wrought iron fenced in area and stone foundation. N DNR Latitude 40.9303 Longitude 85.0567.

Back to top

Poe - Williamsport Cemetery

Rural cemetery located on the east side of Winchester Road, on the south edge of Poe

Earliest date May 13, 1836. In use. The Indiana Genealogical Society has an online Index. IN DNR Latitude 40.9342 Longitude 85.0833. Poe was originally called Williamsport for William Essig who donated the land for the cemetery.

Saint John's Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery

Rural cemetery located on the south side near 9330 Wayne Trace in the woods off the road, ½ mile west of Soest Emmanuel.

The church property was purchased on February 1, 1852 and recorded on February 11, 1852, Allen County Deed Record O, pages 624-625.  The church records also began in 1852, and state that they changed from a Lutheran congregation to a Reformed-Lutheran congregation in 1872, when they split away from Emmanuel Lutheran, Soest, after merging with St. Paul Lutheran, Marion Township, to become Emmanuel Lutheran in 1871.  The last recorded event in the church records was in 1907. Not in use. IN DNR Latitude 41.0006 Longitude 85.0467. Indiana Genealogical Society of Indiana has an online index.

Saint Joseph (Hessen Cassel) Roman Catholic Cemetery

Rural cemetery located near 11400 Decatur Road, old U.S. 27 south, between Thompson and Benzinger Roads, south of I-469, near Bostick Road

Earliest date 1848. In use. IN DNR Latitude 40.9794 Longitude 85.0814.

Back to top

Saint Paul Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery

Rural cemetery located on the south side of Thompson Road, on the south side of US 469. It is at the dead end of Thompson Road a half mile from the intersection of Marion Center Road and Thompson Road, about 500' off the road

Earliest date 1844. Abandoned. IN DNR Latitude 40.9886 Longitude 85.0658. Church moved to 9909 Wayne Trace and name changed to Emmanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery.

Soest Emmanuel Lutheran Cemetery

See Emmanuel Lutheran Cemetery

THOMPSON Family Cemetery

Rural cemetery located on the north side of 4016 Thompson Road, ¼ mile east of U.S. 27, about 500' off the north side of the road in a small wooded area in the middle of a field

Earliest date 1834. Not in use. IN DNR Latitude 40.9908 Longitude 85.0867.

Williamsport Cemetery

See Poe Cemetery, the town and cemetery were originally named for William Essig who is buried here with his family. He donated land for the original church and cemetery. There is a badly eroded concrete memorial that originally contained words probably commemorating the family and their land donations. If anyone knows the original words on the stone or has a photograph please contact Stan Follis

Back to top