Saint Joseph Township Cemeteries
Organized in 1828
- State Hospital
- Highland Park
- Klinger - Riverbend
- Kukuck - Bullerman
- Pierre Settlement
- Saint Peter Lutheran - New
- Saint Peter Lutheran - Old - Goeglein
Google maps are slow to load - wait for colored pins to show
View Allen County, Indiana Cemeteries in a larger map.
Click on the pink township pin to see the name of the cemetery or click the link above to see all cemeteries.
The city of Fort Wayne covers most of this mostly suburban township.
The Allen County Genealogical Society has a name only index to all county cemeteries through the 1980's publishing date. Check the Allen County Lookup page for a volunteer willing to do lookups from the cemetery books, which are published and for sale by the Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana.
The Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter NSDAR, (National Society Daughter's of the American Revolution) Allen County Indiana Cemetery Project contains transcribed names from the DAR readings in 1932 and ACGSI readings in the 1980's and will eventually have photographs of all tombstones in all Allen County, Indiana cemeteries.
Find-A-Grave may have names, dates, similar tombstone photos, some newspaper obituaries and occasionally additional family information. Obituaries can be found in the Genealogy Center Obituary Index where volunteers will find, photocopy and mail the copies when ordered for a small copying fee. Recent obituaries will often be found online on the Funeral Home web sites or within one year of publication on the local Fort Wayne newspapers Legacy.com site.
Some Google maps on main streets and roads will allow street level viewing if you View the Larger Map and click the little orange person icon. It opens in a new window which you close by clicking the X in the upper right of the window to Exit Street View and return to the map.
Township Trustees are responsible for cemetery maintenance. The Allen County, Indiana government web site has a list of Township Trustees and their contact information. Links to Indiana State laws related to county and township cemeteries are found on our Cemetery page.
City cemetery located at 9101 Stelhorn Road, on northeast corner of Stellhorn and Wheelock Roads inside Fort Wayne city limits
Earliest burial December 9, 1830. Still in use. Google map will allow street level viewing if you View the Larger Map and click the little orange person icon. It opens a new window which you can close by clicking the X in the upper right of the window to Exit Street View and return to the map. IN DNR Latitude 41.1214 Longitude 85.0219. Grave Book on Facebook has location photos.
Formerly located on the west side of Wallen Road, east of the Old Auburn Road, where the Crosier House stood. Graves were moved when St. Joseph Hospital sold the land for housing developments. They are now in Section E, at the south-east corner of the Catholic Cemetery on Lake Avenue in Adams Township.
City location on west side of St. Joe Road, between Broyles Drive and St. Joe Road at the north entrance of IPFW - Indiana Universty-Purdue University Fort Wayne campus.
One large memorial stone dated from July 1901 to May 1967. The ACPL Index has 447 names with causes of death. January 11, 2012 a newspaper article "Old State School Cemetery Located On IPFW Grounds " appeared in The IPFW's Student Newspaper The Communicator. The Indiana State Archives mentions the origin of this school in the 1880's. Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne has a photo of the school.
City cemetery located at 2403 East Wallen Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46825, 260-489-5522, web site
City location on the Saint Joseph River near the 13th hole of the Riverbend Golf Course at 7207 Saint Joe Road
Earliest burial about 1834. No longer in use. According to old Plat Records in the Allen County Court House, there was a treaty between the United States and the Indians called "The Treaty of the Wabash" in 1826, giving certain lands to the Indians. The present-day golf course is on the before-mentioned land. Only 3 tombstones remain buried in the ground, one in German language.
No longer exists. Originally located between Reed and Maplecrest Roads, off Trier and Stellhorn Roads. Cemetery was on the Bullerman farm. Removed to Saint Peter Lutheran (Goeglein) Cemetery. Also known as Bullerman and Saint Stephen's Cemetery. Please let us know if you know more about the former location of the cemetery or when it was moved. DAR transcripts show only 2 burials were known, Kukuck was in German language.
City location at 5800 St. Joseph Road on the southeast corner of the Saint Joe and Saint Joe Center Roads
In 1846, Peter and Elizabeth Parker donated two acres for a township cemetery. Earliest date March 13, 1850. Still in use. Some tombstones were relocated and a new sign with fencing added in the mid 2000's to allow widening of the roads and intersection. Several newspaper articles from 1999 to at least 2004. Latitude 41.1331 Longitude 85.0986. The Genealogy Center has a Name Index of burials.
City location on the south side of 7810 Saint Joe Center Road, east of Hazelet Road, directly behind Calvary Baptist Church
Earliest date 1871. Not in use. DAR site states "Named after Michael Pierre, an early French settler from Bettnig France who was interred in this cemetery in 1871. At one time there was also a log cabin that served as a church for the Pierre Settlement on the site, which was known as St. Michael’s."
City location on the north side of State Blvd. at 7710 Maysville Road, between Lahmeyer and Goeglein Roads, across from Saint Peter Lutheran Church
City location on the south side of State Blvd. at 7710 Maysville Road, between Lahmeyer and Goeglein Roads, west side of the Saint Peter Lutheran Church