Wayne Township Cemeteries
Organized May 31, 1824
- Poor Farm
- Broadway - McColloch
- Cathedral Crypt
- Cathedral Square
- Lawton - Little Turtle
- Maple Avenue
- Prairie Grove
- Saint Johns
Google maps are slow to load - wait for colored pins to show
View Allen County, Indiana Cemeteries in a larger map
Click on the green township pin to see the name of the cemetery
or click the link above to see all cemeteries. Most city streets have Street Level View
The city of Fort Wayne covers most of this mostly suburban township.
The Allen County Genealogical Society has a name only index to all county cemeteries through the 1980's publishing date. Check the Allen County Lookup page for a volunteer willing to do lookups from the cemetery books, which are published and for sale by the Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana.
The Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter NSDAR, (National Society Daughter's of the American Revolution) Allen County Indiana Cemetery Project contains transcribed names from the DAR readings in 1932 and ACGSI readings in the 1980's and will eventually have photographs of all tombstones in all Allen County, Indiana cemeteries.
Find-A-Grave may have names, dates, similar tombstone photos, some newspaper obituaries and occasionally additional family information. Obituaries can be found in the Genealogy Center Obituary Index where volunteers will find, photocopy and mail the copies when ordered for a small copying fee. Recent obituaries will often be found online on the Funeral Home web sites or within one year of publication on the local Fort Wayne newspapers Legacy.com site.
Some Google maps on main streets and roads will allow street level viewing if you View the Larger Map and click the little orange person icon. It opens in a new window which you close by clicking the X in the upper right of the window to Exit Street View and return to the map.
Township Trustees are responsible for cemetery maintenance. The Allen County, Indiana government web site has a list of Township Trustees and their contact information. Links to Indiana State laws related to county and township cemeteries are found on our Cemetery page.
Was located near the intersection of Brooklyn Avenue and Bluffton Road. No longer exists.
The remains of this old cemetery is now located at or near 1701 Broadway, abutting the General Electric Plant.
Early plat maps indicate two cemeteries; (1) The Public Cemetery and (2) the first burial site of Saint Johannes Lutheran Church. History books indicate that many bodies were removed from the Public Site when Lindenwood Cemetery opened. The only body known to remain is 7th Governor Samuel Bigger whose next of kin could not be contacted for permission to move his body. Broadway Cemetery formerly McCulloch Park - Final Resting Place for Samuel Bigger - Kristina Frazier-Henry Child of the Fort blog
The crypt is located below the Cathedral of Immaculate Conception. The church is located on Cathedral Square which is bordered by Calhoun, Jefferson, Lewis, and Clinton Streets.
The cornerstone laid June 19, 1859, and dedicated December 8, 1860. The persons who have the right to burial in the Crypt are Bishops of the Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese. .
Bounded by Calhoun, Jefferson, Lewis and Clinton Streets.
In 1830-31 Father Stephen Badin assisted Catholics of the area in purchasing a large part of what is now known as Cathedral Square. In 1857, Father Benoit laid plans to build a Cathedral. The Cathedral was built over the site of the Miami Indian burial grounds. Richardville, Chief of the Miami's, DAR marker is located here, facing Calhoun Street. IN DNR Latitude 41.0756 Longitude 85.1367. DAR page says "All of the remains were removed from the Cathedral Square Cemetery and are now located in the Catholic Cemetery, Adams Township. It is not known for sure if Richardville's remains were moved. There is however a tombstone in the Catholic Cemetery in Adams Township. This stone is located in section B of the cemetery."
Shown on early plat maps as being in the area of Wall Street and Swinney Avenue, near the Saint Mary's River. No longer exists. Many removed to Catholic Cemetery on Lake Avenue in 1873.
No longer exists. Was located where the county jail now stands. The burials were removed to Broadway Cemetery. IN DNR Latitude 41.0831 Longitude 85.1414.
No longer exists. Actual location of the Fort Wayne Post Cemetery is unknown. Some evidence indicates that it was located near the intersection of Main and Lafayette Streets where one of the original forts is marked by a Wishing Well Memorial.
A marker was once located on an alley, off Leith Street, between Harrison Street and Hoagland Avenue, with the above name. No information could be found regarding this in 1981. Google map puts near 344 W. Leith Street. If you know anything about this cemetery please let us know.
City cemetery located at 2324 West Main Street, Fort Wayne, Indiana, 260-432-4542, web site
Founded in 1859, dedicated in 1860. Modern cemetery still in use. See 1885 rules. On the U.S. Register of Historic Places added in 1978 - #78000043. The Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center has started a Name Search Index on their web site. ACGSI Cemetery Plat Maps. Internet Archive has the Cemetery Internment Records from January 1918-March 1934 Volume. IN DNR Latitude 41.08 Longitude 85.1758. Grave Book on Facebook has location photos. WFWA local PBS television has documentary video Memorial City: The Lindenwood Chronicles.
Lindenwood cemetery was discussed in Grave secrets Old cemeteries offer history lesson, scenic views July 19, 2009 by Devon Haynie of The Journal Gazette newspaper.
- Lindenwood cemetery, 1864, Includes articles of association, rules & regulations, history and names of lot owners
- Lindenwood cemetery: articles of association, rules and regulations adopted, 1885 .. - Lindenwood Cemetery (Fort Wayne, Ind.)
- Lindenwood Cemetery Records (Volume yr.1896-1917) - Lindenwood Cemetery, Cemetery records from April 1896-December 1917.
The Allen County Community Album has a number of photos of the elaborate gardens that made the cemetery a travel destination 100 years ago. Wikimedia has some information. Political Graveyard lists a number of politicians buried here and Find-A-Grave has over 20 Famous Burial locations and tombstone photos.
Robert Frank Borkenstein, who revolutionized enforcement of drunken driving laws by inventing the Breathalyzer to measure alcohol in the blood, died Saturday August 10, 2002, he was born in Fort Wayne, Indiana, on August 31, 1912. An Indiana University Professor Robert F. Borkenstein began his career with the Indiana State Police in 1936. He invented the Breathalyzer® in 1954 and retired in 1958 as captain in charge of Laboratory Services. Indiana University Archives maintains the "Robert F. Borkenstein papers, 1928-2002, bulk 1940-2002." The National Safety Council issues an annual Robert F. Borkenstein award. A 2022 Indiana University display was called the "Borkenstein and His Monster: The Man Behind the Breathalyzer” — A New Exhibit at the IU Archives." He is buried in Lindenwood Cemetery in Fort Wayne.
Homer Van Meter a member of the John Dillinger Public Enemy #1 bank robber and Samuel Goldstine who died May 19, 1975 are buried here. Another Samuel Goldstein was mistakenly thought to be Dillinger's gang member dying in jail July 22, 1939 in Lima, Allen County, Ohio on the 5th anniversary of Dillinger's death. A distant Van Metre relative has posted the Van Metre Family history online. Grave Book on Facebook has location photos. A Public Enemy’s Life in the Fast Lane National Archives blog with John Dillinger $10,000 FBI Wanted poster.
The History Center blog May 26, 2010 by John Beatty "Lindenwood Cemetery at 150." The Indiana News Center has 2 videos and Megan Trent Lindenwood Cemetery Celebrates 150th Anniversary. See also HISTORIC LINDENWOOD CEMETERY by John Beatty January 4, 2013 on the FGS Conference News blog (Federation of Genealogical Societies).
City location at 634 Lawton Place
Located on Maple Avenue, near the Saint Mary's River. All burials were removed to Saint John Lutheran Cemetery.
City location at 5800 Old Decatur Road, between Paulding and Tillman Roads
Formerly located near the intersection of Paulding and Old Decatur Roads. No longer exists, transferred to Lindenwood and Monroeville I.O.O.F. Cemeteries. DAR has the three names in the 1932 transcription of tombstone names.
Public. Earliest burial August 1834. Still in use. IN DNR Latitude 41.0269 Longitude 85.1711. The Allen County Public Library has an online Burial Index. Call 260-747-4070 Prairie Grove Cemetery Association for additional lot number and burial information, then use the ACGSI online Section Maps of burials to find the exact location.
City location at 2507 Engle Road
Still in use. This is the third cemetery of the Saint John Evangelical Lutheran Congregation according to their history and History and Headstones: Celebrating Memorial Day in the The History Center blog May 22, 2012 posted by Nancy McCammon-Hansen. These forty acres were purchased in August 1872, as a result of court action, closing the second cemetery located on Maple Avenue, near the Saint Mary's River. IN DNR Latitude 41.0433 Longitude 85.1733.