Adams Township Churches

Organized January 1826, reduced to present size May 1830

Emanuel Lutheran Church and Cemetery

800 Green Street, New Haven, IN 46774 260-749-2126, cemetery is in Jefferson Township, web site

Organized in 1858 by families of German descent, the first church building was dedicated in 1859. In 1882 their second church was build at the corner of Bell and Henry Streets. In 1960 the present church building was dedicated. Birth, baptism, confirmation, marriage and death records since 1858 have been photocopied and are available along with a history of the church at the Allen County Public Library.

Martini Lutheran Church and Cemetery

333 E. Moeller Road, New Haven, IN 46774 260-749-0014

Organized in 1853 by members of St. Paul's Lutheran, Fort Wayne, living in the New Haven area. Members erected a log school near the intersection of Wayne Trace and Moeller Roads. The building was used both as a church and school until 1854 when a new log building at the same site was built. In 1870 a new church was erected. The present church building was dedicated in 1967.

Records on birth, baptism, confirmation, marriage and death from 1854-1971 have been microfilmed and records from 1854-1965 have been photocopied and are available along with a history of the church at the Allen County Public Library.

New Haven Methodist Episcopal Church

Organized in 1861. The church was built in 1866 on Railroad St. in New Haven. In 1939 the name was changed to Grace Methodist after the merger of the Episcopal and Protestant Methodist Churches. In 1942 Grace Methodist merged with Calvary Methodist to form New Haven United Methodist Church.

New Haven Methodist Protestant Church

Organized about 1838. Erected first church building in 1857/58 on present day Middle Street in New Haven. In 1902 a new church was built. In 1939 the name was changed to Calvary Methodist after the merger of the Episcopal and Protestant Methodist Churches. In 1942 Calvary and Grace Methodist merged to form New Haven United Methodist Church.

New Haven United Methodist Church

630 E. Lincoln Highway, New Haven, IN 46774 260-749-9565

Organized in 1942 by the merger of Grace and Calvary Methodist Churches. Both buildings were used until 1955 when the present church was built.

Records include baptisms from 1868, confirmations (partial) and marriages (partial) from 1883 and deaths from 1895. Contact church about records. A history of the church is available at the Allen County Public Library.

St. Andrew's Catholic Church

2610 New Haven Avenue, Fort Wayne, IN 46803 260-422-0380

Organized in 1909 when it was deemed necessary to provide a parish for families living in the eastern portion of Fort Wayne. The present church building was dedicated in 1912.

Records on birth, baptism, confirmation, marriage and death have been microfilmed and are available at the Allen County Public Library.

St. John the Baptist Catholic Church and Cemetery

943 Powers Avenue, New Haven, IN 46774 260-493-4553

Organized in 1861. Prior to 1861, missionaries served the area from St. Vincent's Catholic Church. The present church was built in 1877.

Records for births and baptisms since 1861, confirmations since 1878, marriages since 1861 and deaths since 1863 have been microfilmed and are available at the Allen County Public Library, along with a history of the church.

St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery

Corner of Hartzell and Paulding Roads

Organized about 1857. Little is known about this congregation. In 1871 they merged with St. Paul's of Marion Township to form Emmanuel Lutheran Church of Soest (see Marion Township). Cemetery is listed as German Evangelical Lutheran, Ohio Synod Cemetery.

St. Paul Methodist Church

1406 Lumbard Street, Fort Wayne, IN

Organized in 1887, the congregation first met in a little brick schoolhouse on Wayne Trace. In 1889/90 a frame church was erected on Walton Avenue (now South Anthony Boulevard). In 1934 a new church was built on Lumbard Street. This church disbanded in April 2000. Records will be sent to the DePauw University Library, Greencastle, IN.

A history of the church is available at the Allen County Public Library.

Trier Ridge Community Church (formerly First Church of God)

7501 Hessen Cassel Road Fort Wayne, IN 46816 260-447-1994

Organized in 1907. Records from 1907 include baptisms, marriages, membership dates, and death. Available at the pastor's discretion.

Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery

7812 Decatur Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46816 260-447-2411

Organized in 1846 as a Christian day school by members of St. Paul's Lutheran Church. The congregation organized in 1853 and built a frame church building. In 1904 the present church building was dedicated.

Records on birth, baptism, confirmation, marriage and death from 1854 have been photocopied and are available along with a history of the church at the Allen County Public Library.

Village Green Free Methodist Church

4410 Wayne Trace, Fort Wayne, IN 46806 260-447-4123

Organized in 1873 as the Fort Wayne Free Methodist Church on the corner of Lewis and Harmer Streets. In 1878 the church was relocated to Creighton Avenue. In 1911 a new church was erected on Holton Street and renamed Bower Free Methodist Church. In 1963 the present church was constructed on Wayne Trace and the name was again changed to Village Green Free Methodist Church.

Write or phone for information on records. A history of the church is available at the Allen County Public Library.

Back to Top