Marion Township Churches

Organized August 1835

 

Bethel Baptist Church and Cemetery

Winchester Road

Organized in 1838. In 1849 a building was erected on Winchester Road just north of the Adams County line. In 1870 a new church was built in Williamsport (Poe). The church no longer exists. See Allen County cemeteries.

Emmanuel Lutheran Church (Soest) and Cemetery

9909 Wayne Trace

Organized December 25, 1845 as St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church of Marion Township near Thompson Road. A new church and cemetery were dedicated in December 1861 at 9909 Wayne Trace. In 1864 merged with St. John congregation in Adams Township on Hartzel Road changing the name in 1871.

Hope United Methodist Church

6608 Hoagland Road, Hoagland, IN 46745 260-639-6340

Organized in 1995 by the merger of Poe United Methodist and Hoagland United Methodist of Madison Township. Contact church regarding records from both churches.

Middletown Methodist Episcopal Church

Corner Franklin and First Streets, Poe, IN

Organized in 1835. The church moved to Hoagland in 1876. See Hoagland Methodist Church, Madison Township.

Poe (Williamsport) Methodist Episcopal Church

Butler Street, Poe, IN

Organized in 1842. Church building was erected in 1864. Merged in 1995 with Hoagland Methodist Churchof Madison Township to form Hope United Methodist Church (see above).

St. John's Lutheran Church and Cemetery

Wayne Trace just south of Maples Road

Organized in 1858. Disbanded after 1880. Records are with Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church, Fort Wayne (see Wayne Township).

St. Joseph - Hessen Cassel Catholic Church and Cemetery

11337 S. U.S. 27, Fort Wayne, IN 46816 260-639-3748

Organized in 1841 by mostly German immigrants from Hessen in the Diocese of Fulda, Germany. A temporary log-cabin chapel was erected in 1851 and was replaced by the present church in 1857. Baptism, marriage and death records exist from 1852. First communion records exist since 1899. Early records are in Latin and German. Records have been microfilmed and photocopied and are available at the Allen County Public Library.

St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery

Log cabin near Thompson Road

Organized December 25, 1845. New church and cemetery dedicated in December 1861 at 9909 Wayne Trace. After 1864 merged with St. John of Adams Township and in 1871 name changed to Emmanuel Lutheran Church and Cemetery.

Back to Top