Springfield Township Churches

Organized September 1837

First Methodist Episcopal Church

State Road 37, Harlan, IN

Organized in 1843. In 1854 the first church was built near the old cemetery. In 1881 a new church was built and the old building was sold to St. Mark's Lutheran. In 1939 First Methodist Episcopal merged with Methodist Protestant Church to form Harlan Methodist Church (see below).

German Reform Church

Corner of Hurshtown and Bull Rapids Roads

This church was in existence in 1880, but had disbanded by 1927. No additional information available.

Harlan Church of Christ

17108 State Road 37, Harlan, IN 46743 260-657-5147

Organized in 1902 with the help of the West Jefferson Street Church of Christ in Fort Wayne. They first met in the IOOF Hall. Later, worship services were held in the former United Brethren building. The first church building was dedicated in 1906. This building burned in 1928 and the present building was dedicated in 1929. Records on baptism exist. Contact church for information.

Harlan United Brethren Church and Cemetery

Corner of State Road 37 and Spencerville Road, Harlan, IN

Merged with Harlan Methodist in 1968 to form Harlan United Methodist Church (see below)

Harlan United Methodist Church

16434 State Road 37, Harlan, IN 46743 260-657-5364

Organized in 1968 after the merger of Harlan Methodist Church and the United Brethren Church. Early records have been sent to the DePauw University Library, Greencastle, IN. Contact church regarding newer records.

Holy Trinity Lutheran Church

18330 State Road 37, Harlan, IN 46743 260-657-5614

Organized in 1961 by the merger of Bethel Chapel of Maumee Township, St. Mark's Lutheran and Salem Lutheran. The present building was dedicated in 1967. Records from 1961 have been photocopied and are available along with a history of the church at the Allen County Public Library.

Methodist Episcopal Church

Corner of State Road 101 and State Road 37 This area was known as Halls Corner or Georgetown.

This church was in existence in 1880, but had disbanded by 1927. No additional information available.

Methodist Protestant Church

Water Street, Harlan IN

Organized in 1851 in Cuba, Springfield Township. The church moved to Harlan in 1866. In 1939 it merged with First Methodist Episcopal Church to form Harlan Methodist Church (see above).

Methodist Protestant Church

Corner of Hurshtown Road and State Road 101

This church was in existence in 1880, but had disbanded by 1927. No additional information available.

St. Mark's Lutheran Church Harlan

Organized in 1886. The first church building was bought from the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1897 the former United Brethren Church was purchased. In 1921 the Barnett Chapel Lutheran Church of Milan Township merged with St. Mark's. In 1961 St. Mark's merged with Bethel Chapel of Maumee Township and Salem Lutheran to form Holy Trinity Lutheran Church. Church records have been photocopied and are available at the Allen County Public Library.

Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery

Corner of Springfield Center and Spencerville Roads

Organized in 1852 by six families from Mahoning County, Ohio. In 1852 a schoolhouse was built to be used as a church and school. In 1857 the first church was dedicated. In 1947 the church was destroyed by fire and in 1948 the second church was built just south of the old site. In 1963 it merged with Bethel Chapel of Maumee Township and St. Mark's Lutheran (see above) to form Holy Trinity Lutheran Church. Records from 1852 have been photocopied and are available along with a history of the church at the Allen County Public Library.

Walnut Ridge Zion Lutheran Church and Cemetery

Corner of State Road 37 and Springfield Center Road

Organized in 1845 as First English Lutheran School. No additional information available.

Back to Top