Eva Nellie Holden Hunter Shuler Long

Eva Long portrait
Photo of Eva Long of Troy Ohio on Long Surname Ancestry.com Message Board - February 9, 2013


1873 July 17 Born in Findlay, Ohio to Pearson B. & Flora A. (Barnhill) Holden Certified birth record IGI 1875 Aug 9 Sister, Sarah Jane born, Findlay, Ohio, age 2 1877 Sep 30 Brother, William Reed born, Findlay, Ohio, age 1878-1883 Father sued for bad debts to numerous persons in Findlay, OH 1880 Census, Hancock County, Liberty Twp, Findlay, age 6 Father not supporting family, mother forced to depend on the charity of friends 1887 May Parents divorced, father cannot be located, thought to be out state, Eva 14 years old 1891 Dec 31 Married James Boyd Hunter, age 18 1893 Jan 3 Flora Jane born, Chicago, IL, age 20 1896 Feb Frederick born, Chicago, IL, age 23 1897 Nov Hamilton Wellington born, Chicago, IL, age 24 1900 206 Gladys Ave., Chicago, IL, age 26 1900 Feb 17 Husband died in Chicago, IL, age 27 549 San Francisco, LaPorte, IN Scipio Township 1900 June 19 James Boyd born, Chicago, IL, age 27 1903 April 14 Mother died Riverside Village, Chicago, IL, age 30 1904 Mar 18 Frederick died, Valparaiso, IN, 8 years, peritonitis, age 31 Sold encyclopedias in Valparaiso, IN 1905 Moved to Fort Wayne, IN, age 32 1908 Chicago City Directory Hunter, Eva N Mrs. solcr 804 106 Lasalle h Valparaiso Ind 1910 Census, Shuler Allen County, IN 1910 Oct 11 Married Charles W. Shuler, 2627 Holton Ave., Fort Wayne, IN, age 37 1911 Aug 2 Lillian Florence born, Holton Ave., Fort Wayne, IN, age 38 1911-1914 Jennie living home teaching school 1914 Moved to 2545 Maple Place, Fort Wayne, IN, age 41 1915 Dec 2 William Reed born, 2545 Maple Place, age 42 1916 Hamilton, clerk at Bowser's, James clerk at Wayne Stamp, age 43 1917 Apr 3 Father died, Albuquerque, NM, age 44 1920 Census, 2545 Maple Place with Charles Shuler, Lillian, William, Hamilton (not James) & roomer, Clarissa Gillingham, age 47 1920-1921 Divorced Charles W. Shuler, age 47 1924 Saleslady at Hilgeman & Schaaf, age 50 1928 Personal & Poll Tax, Allen County, IN F 57  46 30 Perry 1931 Married Willard Long, Fort Wayne, IN, age 58 1933 Lived 926 Colerick, sold real estate, age 60 1933 June 20 Died of heart disease in Fort Wayne, IN, Certificate of Death Buried from Klaehn Funeral Home Fort Wayne, IN in Rosehill Cemetery, Chicago, IL

Descendants of Eva Nellie * HOLDEN Generation No. 1 1.  EVA NELLIE *4 HOLDEN  (PEARSON BUNYAN *3, PEARSON * BUNYAN REV2, BENJAMIN *1) was born 17 July 1873 in Findlay, Hancock County, Ohio, and died 20 June 1933 in Fort Wayne, Allen County,  Indiana.  She married (1) JAMES BOYD * HUNTER 31 December 1891 in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, son of HAMILTON HUNTER and SARAH MULLIGAN.  She married (2) CHARLES WESLEY SHULER 11 October 1910 in Fort Wayne, Allen County, Wayne Township, Indiana.  She married (3) WILLARD C. LONG 1931 in Fort Wayne, Allen County, Wayne Township, Indiana. Children of EVA HOLDEN and JAMES HUNTER are: i. FLORA JANE "JANE"5 HUNTER, b. 03 January 1893, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois; d. 01 July 1980, Kansas City, Clay County, Missouri; m. ARTHUR LAUDEL, 20 May 1914. ii. FREDERICK HUNTER, b. February 1896, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois; d. 18 March 1904, Valparaiso, Porter County, Indiana. iii. HAMILTON WELLINGTON HUNTER, b. 21 November 1897, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois; d. August 1987, Naples, Collier County, Florida; m. (1) DENNA BERNICE BOCKMAN, 05 August 1920; m. (2) VIRGINIA ELIZABETH GARR, 1941. iv. JAMES BOYD * HUNTER, b. 19 June 1900, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois; d. 31 October 1954, Fort Wayne, Allen County, Indiana; m. LILLIAN THEODOSIA "DOAD" * MCKEEMAN, 01 November 1925, Fort Wayne, Allen County, Indiana. Children of EVA HOLDEN and CHARLES SHULER are: v. LILLIAN FLORENCE5 SHULER, b. 02 August 1911, Fort Wayne, Allen County, Wayne Township, Indiana; m. (1) JOHN PUTMAN; m. (2) VIRGIL LESTER KELLOGG; m. (3) JOHN SILLAWAY. vi. WILLIAM REED SHULER, b. 02 December 1915, Fort Wayne, Allen County, Wayne Township, Indiana; d. 13 November 1995, Fort Wayne, Allen County, Indiana.

NARRATIVE BY JANE HUNTER HODGSON This account of the life of Eva Nellie Holden was written in 1991 by her granddaughter, Jane Anne Hunter Hodgson, daughter of James Boyd Hunter. Sources were birth and death certificates as well as first hand accounts from Eva's daughter, Lillian Shuler Sillaway, Eva's daughter-in-law, Theodosia McKeeman Hunter, and Paul Cottrell who knew the family in Woodburn, Indiana. The actual occurrences described are facts.  Eva's crying as she put on her bridal gown was related to Lillian by Eva herself, as well as the love she eventually kindled for James.  Theodosia and Paul both told of her working at the Barnhill Sanatarium. Some of the connecting ideas were fabricated according to the explanations given to the author by the witnesses. Jane Anne Hunter Hodgson I was born on the 23rd of August in the year 1873 in Findlay, Ohio.  I was the first of three children born to my parents, Pearson Benjamin Holden and Flora Anne Barnhill.  My father operated a grist mill in Findlay, and he had come from the neighboring county, Putnam county, to marry my mother whose family had lived in Findlay for a number of years. My mother and daddy had just lived through the traumatic years of the Civil War as they were growing up.  Father's father had died in 1867.  Grandad was a rather well-known personage in this part of Ohio.  His name was also Pearson Benjamin Holden.  He was a preacher in the United Brethren Church. Having been born in Virginia he took a pro-slavery stance against his church body. My mother and father were married, and about a year later I was born.  I soon had a brother, William Reed, and a sister, Jennie.  We grew up and went to school in Findlay.  We went to the Presbyterian Church where the Barnhills attended for years. In 1887 my parents were divorced.  My mother was having a very hard time holding the family together since my father was down in Georgia and not sending any money for the family's expenses. When I was about 18 years old, a man came through our town.  His name was James Boyd Hunter.  He was a furniture manufacturer in Chicago.  He talked about so many far away places like Chicago, the big city with all of its modern conveniences.  He talked about Canada where he was born in a city called London.  I was fascinated with all that he had to say, and I think he thought that I was very pretty.  He started courting me.  Because he was almost 20 years older than me, my mother tried to put a stop to his bringing me flowers. That made me want to see him even more.  My mama said that if his intentions were honorable, he should marry me, and so it happened just all very fast.  On New Years Eve, 1891, we were married. I cried as I was putting on my bridal gown.  I think I was suddenly afraid to leave the comfort and love of my family to go with this "stranger" to the huge city of Chicago.  I was not even sure as I started down the aisle that I really loved him, and I feared that I was making a terrible mistake.  but it was too late for second thoughts.  I took the plunge and soon we were headed off on my first ride away from all that I had ever known. Chicago was such a big city.  I loved the excitement! We lived just a few blocks from Jim's business.  He owned the furniture business with another man named McCue.  I soon had a new friend, Mrs. McCue.  I was very thankful for her friendship, especially a few months later when I began feeling ill every morning.  I suspected that maybe I would have a child.  Mrs. McCue helped me through the days when I felt so poorly, and to my joy and Jim's joy, Flora Jane Hunter was born on the 3rd of January 1893. My days were filled with the fun of watching Janie grow.  Jim went off to the facctory every day and also traveled around on the trains to neighboring states looking for outlets for the furniture.  I was busy shopping and cooking and minding the house every day.  When I went to bed at night, I was exhausted.  I would fall asleep listening to the clop of horses hoofs on the streets outside. It seemed that in Chicago, someone was always coming or going, even in the middle of the night. In 1895 my mother moved to Chicago to be with me and I was thankful to have her with me. My sister moved over too and Sarah Jane married a Mr. Bates. They lived in Riverside village. Mama would spend part of her time with me and part with Jennie. On the 25th of February, 1896, we again had to call out the doctor in the middle of the night to come  to the house.  Our second child, a boy named Frederick was born.  Now when I walked down to the butcher shop or the fruit store, I had Janie in tow and little Fred in the baby buggy.  A picnic in the park was sometimes a treat in those days.  It was not long before those familiar symptoms returned, and on the 21st of November, 1897, Hamilton Wellington was born.  We named him for my husband's father who had been the superintendent of schools in Toronto and London, Ontario.  (He was born in Ireland and came to Canada with his parents as a young boy.) In October of 1899, I told my loving husband that I suspected that child number 4 was on the way.  He was delighted as always.  He was a great support to me and a wonderful father to his children.  I had grown to love him very much.  We had such a beautiful Christmas that year, with just the perfect toy for Jane and Fred and Ham. Mama met a nice man here in Chicago named Wellington Bennett, and I was very happy for her when they decided to marry. I will never forget that day in February, 1900.  It had snowed, and I was stuck in the house with the children.  I was already getting my very rounded figure back with five months of baby proceeding as expected.  When the officer came onto the doorstep, I couldn't imagine why he would come to my house. He tried to soften the blow with his words, but the shock could have killed me when he said that Jim had been found dead on a Michigan Central train here in Chicago at about noon.  He was taken off to a hospital, and the policeman said that the doctors would have a report later on about what had happened. Things had never appeared so bleak as they did on that day in 1900.  What wasI to do?  I did send word to some good friends who had moved just over the Indiana line into LaPorte.  They came over and helped me through those days.  We took his body to the Congregational Church, and buried him in Rosehill Cemetery.  I wondered where I could go and what I could do next. My doctor said I must take good care of myself or risk losing the baby that I carried inside me.  I know Jim would not have wanted anything to happen to his child, so I waited out the next four months there in our rented house in Chicago. On the 19th of June, 1900, James Boyd Hunter was born, named for the father who would never see him grow and mature.  I now had my hands full, and felt overwhelmed with the prospects of living without a man in the city.  My friend who had moved to Indiana was now in a small town called Valporaiso.  She wrote and encouraged me to come there.  So, as soon as I got back on my feet after the birth, I began to pack up all that I owned for the move by horse and buggy to Valporaiso, Indiana. It was not easy.  The money that the McCues sent helped but I knew that I could not raise four children on that money.  I began to look for some kind of work.  One day I met a man who was selling encyclopedias, door to door.  He told me how he got his job and put me in touch with the people who offered me a job selling.  It was a struggle to balance caring for the family and working. But Jane was now ten years old, so she could help with the younger ones while I went off to bring in some money. I tried my hand at a variety of jobs in those days.  It was always the most difficult to hold a job when the children were sick.  They, of course, had their share of childhood sicknesses.  It was always a concern when the little ones were ill.  I loved my children more than anything else in the world. On the 14th of April I received word that my Mama had died in Riverside Village. She had only three years of happiness with her new husband. In 1904, little Fred came down with a horrible stomachache one day.  By the middle of the night, I knew it was serious.  The town doctor came over early in the morning to see him.  He told us what to do.  Jane and I nursed him round the clock.  All of the children gathered around and tried to comfort him, but when he began to burn with fever and his speech became the ramblings of delirium, we were so frightened.  Our beloved little Fred passed away that day. It was like losing a part of my own heart.  We were irreconcilable. In 1907 we moved to Woodburn, Indiana.  My mother's brother was a physician in Laotto and Woodburn.  He had a sanitarium there, the Barnhill Sanatarium. I felt that if we moved there, I could work at the Sanatarium, and things would ease up financially for the raising of my children.  It was becoming more and more difficult, and the doctor said that he would pay for my two boys to go to Howe Military School if I came to work for him.  I felt this would be such a wonderful opportunity for Ham and Jim that I eagerly accepted the offer. The move was made, and the two boys were sent off to school.  I was put to work selling insurance so that people who bacame ill could be cared for in my uncle's sanatarium.  The years passed so quickly, and the children grew up so fast. In 1908, I met a man named Charles Wesley Shuler.  We began to fall in love, and I realized that he wanted to marry me.  It had seemed out of the question in the past that I could marry again since I had always put my children's needs first, but it now seemed to be the proper thing, and I was ready to get on with my own life. We were married in 1910.  On the 2nd of August, 1911, Lillian Florence was born into our family.  By now Jane was a grown up young lady.  I had saved the money to send her to finishing school.  We were now living on Holton Avenue in Fort Wayne, Indiana.  Ham was attending high school.  Jim was just eleven years old. My marriage to Charles was rocky, but on the 2nd of December 1915, our son William was born.  Charles was not around much to help me with the children. But I was used to managing on my own, so that was not a new challenge for me. I could see that our marriage would not work out.  Eventually, we were divorced.  I now had Jim still at home and the two little ones.  I loved my children very much so continued to work and to care for them. Jim was in Fort Wayne High School when the war broke out in 1914.  He went off to the Navy in 1917, and Ham did too.  Those were long years until he returned from the war.  Lillian and Bill and I were so overjoyed to see them return. In the early 1920's we moved to a house on Maple Place.  When Jim married Theodosia McKeeman, they bought a little house on the same little court across the street from us.  I saw my first grandchildren born.  Jane married Arthur Laudel, and they moved to Kansas City. There in Fort Wayne in those years of my life, I was introduced by a friend to the Christian Science religion.  I knew when I learned the principles of this new found religion that God had really helped me through all of the rough spots in my life and that he was really in charge of my life and health and mind.  It was with jubilation that I embraced these teachings and passed them on to Lillian.  I told Lillian that when Jane was younger, I was able to send her to finishing school.  I could not do that for Lillian, but I believe I gave her a better gift, and that was in the promises of God to his people.  It filled me with happiness to see Lillian grow and mature in her faith. In 1931 I was married to Willard Long.  Now that all of my children were grown, this seemed an ideal time for finding some new happiness in my life. Note: On June 20, 1933, Eva Nellie died in Fort Wayne of a myocardial failure. She was buried per her own wish at the side of her first husband, James Boyd Hunter in Chicago, Illinois.

HISTORY OF THE DESCENDANTS OF JOHN HOTTEL. by W.D. Huddle P.723 EVA N. HOLDEN, b. at Findlay, O., July 17, 1873; m. first, Dec. 31, 1891, JAMES B. HUNTER, b. Mar. 8, 1853; d. Feb. 23, 1900.  He was a manufacturer at Chicago, Ill. where the children were born.  Second, m. Oct. 11, 1910, CHARLES W. SHULER, b. at Troy, O., May 17, 1871, a salesman, Ft. Wayne, Ind.

Her daughter, Lillian says she would probably like to be remembered for her love for all of her children.  She also says that her mother laughed most every day. Eva Nellie found Christian Science and passed her religion on to Lillian, a "gift from God."  Lillian says that this has been her life, and that though her mother could not afford to send her to a finishing school as she did Jane, she gave her a greater gift.

FORT WAYNE CITY DIRECTORY 1913, Shuler, Charles W (Eva N), landscape architect, h 2629 Holton av. 1914, Shuler, Charles W (Eva N), landscape architect, h 2545 Maple pl. 1917, Shuler, Charles W (Eva), h 2545 Maple Pl. 1918, Shuler, Charles W (Eva), stock seller, h 2545 Maple pl. 1919, Shuler, Charles W (Eva), slsmn, h 2545 Maple Place 1922, Shuler, Mrs. Eva N. h 2545 Maple pl. 1924, Shuler, Mrs. Eva N. slslady Hilgeman & Schaaf, h 2545 Maple pl.

1880 FEDERAL CENSUS, HANCOCK COUNTY, LIBERTY TOWNSHIP, OHIO Holden, Pearson W M 38 Runs grist mill OH VA VA Flora A.       W F 24 Keeps house     OH OH OH Eva N.         W F  6 At home        OH OH OH                  (age 6) Sarah J.       W F  4 At home        OH OH OH William R.     W M  2 At home        OH OH OH

1900 FEDERAL CENSUS, COOK COUNTY, CHICAGO    (age 27) 206 Gladys Ave. Hunter,  Eva U       26 July 1873 OH                   (age 27) Flora J.      7 Jan 1893  IL Frederick A. 4 Feb 1896  IL Hamilton      2 Nov 1897  IL Siddall, Mary I.     44 Mar 1856  OH  (Eva's aunt, daughter of Jos. Barnhill)


1920 FEDERAL CENSUS, FORT WAYNE, WAYNE TOWNSHIP, ALLEN COUNTY, INDIANA 2545 Maple Place SHULER, Charles Head 48 OH PA OH Traveling Salesman Business College Eva     Wife 45 OH OH OH                       (age 47) Lillian Dtr   8 IN OH OH William Son   4 IN OH OH HUNTER, Hamilton Step-son IL CAN OH Traveling Agent Business College GILLINGHAM, Clarissa Roomer 70 IL MD PA

OBITUARY                        (Age 60) JOURNAL GAZETTE, FORT WAYNE, IN June 20, 1933 2:4 Long Mrs. Eva Nellie Long, 59, died at 12:35 o'clock Tuesday morning at the residence at 926 Colerick street, after a six months illness of heart disease. The deceased had been a resident of this city for the past 28 years, and was a member of First Church of Christ Scientist. Survivors include the husband, W.O. Long, five children, James B. Hunter, Hamilton Hunter and William Shuler, all of this city; Mrs. Lester Kellogg of Columbia City and Mrs. Arthur Laudell of Kansas City, Mo., one sister, Mrs. Jennie Waltenberger of Hicksville, O.; one brother W.R. Holden of Detroit, Mich., and seven grandchildren. The body was removed to Klaehn & Sons funeral home where funeral services will be held at a time to be announced later.

Jane Hunter Hodgson Tucson, Arizona

Back to top