Adams Township Cemeteries
Organized in January 1826, reduced to present size in May 1830
- Adams Family
- Adams Township
- Concordia Gardens
- Concordia Old
- German Evangelical
- St. John's
Google maps are slow to load - wait for colored pins to show
View Allen County, Indiana Cemeteries in a larger map
Click on the red township pins to see the name of the cemetery
or click the link above to see all cemeteries.
Fort Wayne straddles over the western township line as the main city and New Haven is the main town in increasingly suburban Adams Township.
The Allen County Genealogical Society has a name only index to all county cemeteries through the 1980's publishing date. Check the Allen County Lookup page for a volunteer willing to do lookups from the cemetery books, which are published and for sale by the Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana.
The Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter NSDAR, (National Society Daughter's of the American Revolution) Allen County Indiana Cemetery Project contains transcribed names from the DAR readings in 1932 and ACGSI readings in the 1980's and will eventually have photographs of all tombstones in all Allen County, Indiana cemeteries.
Find-A-Grave may have names, dates, similar tombstone photos, some newspaper obituaries and occasionally additional family information. Obituaries can be found in the Genealogy Center Obituary Index where volunteers will find, photocopy and mail the copies when ordered for a small copying fee. Recent obituaries will often be found online on the Funeral Home web sites or within one year of publication on the local Fort Wayne newspapers Legacy.com site.
Some Google maps on main streets and roads will allow street level viewing if you View the Larger Map and click the little orange person icon. It opens in a new window which you close by clicking the X in the upper right of the window to Exit Street View and return to the map.
Township Trustees are responsible for cemetery maintenance. The Allen County, Indiana government web site has a list of Township Trustees and their contact information. Links to Indiana State laws related to county and township cemeteries are found on our Cemetery page.
Town cemetery, on Parrott Road, about two miles west of New Haven.
In August, 1981, at an excavation site on the Parrott Road, about two miles west of New Haven, workers excavating sand to fill ditches for a sewer project, found a graveyard that had not been used for more than 100 years. The Adams Township Trustee said he had no records on a graveyard there. See DAR Information.
Town cemetery, behind the AEP substation west of Estella Avenue, south of Old Maumee Road in New Haven, near the railroad tracks.
The 1898 Atlas shows it in the SouthWest corner of the NorthEast Quarter of Section 9 along the railroad tracks near the railroad tracks, west of Estella Avenue, south of Old Maumee Road. First burial date September 10, 1861. Abandoned. The NSDAR states on their web page: "This cemetery is no longer in use. The cemetery had been abandoned and could not be located when the Allen County Genealogical Society did cemetery readings in the 1980’s. In the fall of 2008 AEP contracted to have the right-away behind the substation cleared and the stones were rediscovered. The cemetery was photographed and transcribed in October of 2008. Since that time it has been reported that the stones have been stolen." The DAR has photos of what's left of Catharine and Joseph Ludwick's tombstones.
City cemetery, 3500 Lake Avenue, Fort Wayne, Indiana 46805-5572, Phone: 260.426.2044, Fax:260.422.7418, web site
Modern cemetery with office on the west side of 175 acre cemetery operated by the Catholic Cemetery Association. The original Catholic Cemetery was on Cathedral Square in downtown Fort Wayne. A larger cemetery was then located on Swinney Avenue. After only 29 years the need arose for another larger location. In 1872, Bishop Dwenger purchased 120 acres, one mile outside the city limits of Fort Wayne. The bodies have been removed from the other twp cemeteries into the present location. The cemetery was then opened for interments in 1873. This is a large modern cemetery. Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center has a Name Search through 1993. ACGSI Cemetery Plat Maps. Friends of Allen County Map of Catholic Cemetery. Grave Book on Facebook has location and a few nuns and priests photos.
City cemetery, 5300 Lake Avenue, Fort Wayne, IN 46815, Phone: (260) 749-9836, web site
City cemetery, 1146 Grant Avenue, Fort Wayne, Indiana
Started by St. Paul's Lutheran Congregation. Earliest date 1834, possibly moved from another location, when this cemetery opened up for internments in 1850. Still in use. Records available at the new cemetery office at 5372 Lake Avenue. IN DNR Latitude 41.0771 Longitude 85.1131.
Was located on Lake Avenue near its intersection with North River Road. No longer exists, no records. Google map shows the general location. If you know where it was located, please let us know.
Southside of Fort Wayne on northwest corner of Hartzell and Paulding Roads
The church property was purchased March 5, 1860 and recorded March 29, 1860 in Allen County Deed Book Y, pages 271-272. Unable to find the deed record when the church abandoned, but they did sell their school property in 1870.
Earliest date June 30, 1866. No known records. Google map shows the general location. If you know more information about what happened to the tombstones or if they are still there, please let us know.
March 2010 the 5 acre wooded lot was sold and the new owner intended to retrieve the buried and lost tombstones and restore this long neglected pioneer cemetery with around 40 graves. By August 2011 the restoration attempt was bogged down "Dawn of the dread: Old cemetery is a source of new conflict - But can Fort Wayne family, bureaucrats bury the hatchet?"
Town cemetery, 1109 Hartzell Road, south of 930, New Haven, Phone: (260) 749-2554
Modern cemetery with an office. Earliest date July 8, 1834. Many burials were removed from older cemeteries of the township. Office caretaker can be hard to catch at times. IN DNR Latitude 41.0656 Longitude 85.0277. Grave Book on Facebook has location photos.
Town cemetery, no longer exists, nor found on the 1898 Atlas. Thought to be located either on the southeast corner of U.S. 30 and Green Road, currently a gas station across from New Haven High School. Or could have been located at the southwest corner, which is why the EACS Administration building is set off to the west of the intersection. Google map shows the general location. If you know what happened to the burials or have a map that shows the cemetery location, please let us know.
Rural cemetery southeast side of Fort Wayne, west of New Haven, south side near 5150 Moeller Road, 500 feet east of Meyer Road, east of the original Martini Lutheran Church which is now the Harvest Church of God.
Rural cemetery, located around 1435 Rose Avenue on the north side, east of New Haven where Green Street T's into Rose Avenue, near the city limits.
South side of Old Maysville Road between Lake Avenue and Reed Road by the apartments, northeast side of Fort Wayne
Find-A-Grave says it is located on the south side of Old Maysville Road between Lake Avenue and Reed Road, just southeast of the current intersection of Lake and Reed. Earliest date 1852. No records. By 1979 only one face down tombstone remained. IN DNR Latitude 41.0901 Longitude 85.0788
Southeast side of Fort Wayne, was located on the H. J. Hoevel land on the east side of Hessen Cassel Road, half way between Hoevel Road, now McKinnie Road, and Paulding Road shown on the 1898 Atlas of Adams Township in the NorthWest corner of the SW Quarter of Section 20 (thanks to Mike Fromholt). 4 tombstones were in German. Earliest date April 24, 1842. No longer exists, no records.
7821 Decatur Road, south side of Fort Wayne, Indiana