Washington Township Churches
Organized March 1832
8405 Lima Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46818 260-489-3651
Organized in 1837 on the corner of Till and Bethel Roads. The first building was a one-room log church. In 1872 a frame church was built in the village of Wallen. In 1919 a brick church was erected in Wallen and the name was changed to Wallen Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1969 the present church was built. Contact the church for records. September 15, 2013, they celebrated 170 years of continuous Worship. Bethel UMC Celebrates 170 Years Of Worship by Jake Perrone and Rachel Martin September 15, 2013 on Indiana NewsCenter.
Corner of Wallen and Huguenard Roads
Organized in 1873 as the Fort Wayne Free Methodist Church on the corner of Lewis and Harmer Streets. In 1878 relocated to Creighton Avenue. In 1911 a new building erected on Holton Street and renamed Bowser Free Methodist Church. In 1963 building constructed at 4410 Wayne Trace and name changed to Village Green Free Methodist Church. Name was changed again to Lighthouse Free Methodist Church. Now on northwest side, corner of Wallen and Huguenard Roads, construction of a new facility to be completed in 2009.
8669 Auburn Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46825 260-489-3537
Organized in 1846 by French immigrants. The first log church was built in 1846. A second log church was erected sometime between 1846 and 1852. In 1904 a brick church was built on the corner of Auburn and Wallen Roads. In 1968 the present church was erected across the street. Records begin in 1856 for baptism, 1889 for confirmation, 1861 for marriage and 1892 for death and have been microfilmed and are available at the Allen County Public Library. Records since 1887 are also available on microfilm for St. Vincent Orphan Asylum, which was located at 2000 N. Wells Street, Fort Wayne, IN. See Saint Vincent de Paul Historical Society photo on Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Suburban Bethlehem Lutheran Church and Cemetery
6318 W. California Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46808 260-484-7873
Organized in 1882 as the Columbia Road Church and School Association. The present church was built in 1903. Birth, baptism, confirmation, marriage and death records since 1898 have been photocopied and are available at the Allen County Public Library. Early records are in German.