Bastardy Case News Excerpts, Fort Wayne, Indiana
Allen County Bastardy cases as found in Fort Wayne Daily Gazette unless otherwise noted.
- 23 May 1891 Yesterday morning a commission of lunacy met to inquire into the mental condition of Miss Lizzie Webber, daughter of Jacob Webber of John Street. She was found insane and will be sent to an eastern hospital. The circumstance surrounding this case are indeed sad. The young woman is about 21 years of age and about two years ago was betrayed by her lover, Charles McCall, a conductor on the Nickel Plate. When her child was born bastardy proceedings were begun. Through a legal technicality the girl was beaten and the case went to circuit court. The shame and disgrace of her position so prayed upon her that insanity is the result. Two years ago she was a happy innocent girl but in an evil hour she fell and her sad fate now serves as a warning to others.
- 8 Oct 1891 Ida M. Brahity against George Noirot on a charge of bastardy.
- 9 Oct 1891 In the case of the state on relation of Ida McBratney against George Noirot, a charge of bastardy, the jury returned a verdict yesterday morning for the plaintiff.
- 8 Dec 1891 The bastardy case against Herman Dnelker (sic) will be tried at 9 o'clock today. Amelia Rumm is the complainant.
- 24 Dec 1891 Henry Harber was acquitted yesterday by Justice Hayes on the charge of bastardy which was sworn out against him by Mary Lauer.