Bastardy Case News Excerpts, Fort Wayne, Indiana
Allen County Bastardy cases as found in Fort Wayne Daily Gazette unless otherwise noted.
- 27 Feb 1883 A warrant has been issued in a big bastardy case that will create a decided sensation.
- 14 Sep 1883 William Shaughnessy was arrested yesterday for bastardy, the relatrix being Miss Mary A. Tancey. This is the young fellow who was so long and vainly pursued by the authorities.
- 24 Oct 1883 Charley Hartzell of Maysville, the young fellow arrested for bastardy is alleged to have skipped out.
- 24 Oct 1883 John Haiber yesterday furnished $500 bail in the bastardy case alluded to yesterday, his brother becoming surety. The woman in the case is Sarah E. Green, aged 27, while Haiber is but 18.
- 2 Nov 1883 The transcript in relation of Myrtle C. Keefer against Charles A. Hartzell for bastardy was filed yesterday in circuit court.
- 16 Nov 1883 The father of Myrtle Keefer, a damsel under age and the heroine of a bastardy case now pending has issued an order to the county clerk prohibiting him from issuing a marriage license to his daughter.
- 6 Dec 1883 The bastardy case of the state ex rel. Cora Coburn vs. Charles Armstrong will be tried in circuit court Friday. The defendant is in jail.
- 8 Dec 1883 The Coburn-Armstrong bastardy case was dismissed yesterday there not being sufficient evidence to convict him.
- 14 Dec 1883 The matter of the State ex rel. Ellen Ackman vs. Walter Justice, a proceeding in bastardy in Pratt's court was yesterday dismissed the plaintiff showing that ample provisions had been made by Justice for support of the illegitimate production. The parties are from Pleasant Township.