Lake Township Churches

Organized in May 1837

Arcola United Methodist Church

11311 Arcola Road, Arcola, IN 46704 260-625-4103

The parish began in 1845, when church services were held in the home of Victor Munier. In 1862 the parish was officially established and overseen by its first pastor, Father P.J. Jadden. In 1868 the first church and priest’s residence were built on church grounds; Calvary Cemetery was established that same year. Just 12 years later Father Bartholomew Hartman helped to establish the parish’s first school building.Records exist, call or write to the church for information. Copied from St. Patrick, Arcola: Dedicated to the Catholic faith, parish and community by Ron Busch published April 11, 2017 on Today's Catholic News.

Baptist Church

North side of Yellow River Road, ½ mile from Bass Road

Organized in 1835. Church no longer exists. Cemetery across the street may be connected with the church (see Hadley Cemetery).

Free Will Baptist Church

Butt Road, Fort Wayne, IN

Organized in 1852. Erected a church in 1852. Congregation disbanded and sold building to Lake Chapel United Methodist Church about 1865.

Lake Chapel United Methodist Church and Cemetery

8205 Butt Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46818 260-625-5330

Organized in 1850. Bought church from Free Will Baptist Church in 1865. Records include baptism, confirmation, marriage and death from 1850.

St. John's Lutheran Church of Lake Township

7914 W. Cook Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46818 260-489-5031

Organized in 1877 by members of St. John's Lutheran Church in Fort Wayne. In 1882 the church was built at the intersection of Cook and O'Day Roads. Records include baptism, confirmation, marriage and death and have been photocopied and are available along with a history of the church at the Allen County Public Library.

St. Patrick's Catholic Church of Arcola and Cemetery

12305 Arcola Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46818 260-625-4151

Organized in 1867. Present church was built in 1867. Records begun in 1873, but not complete. Baptism, first communion, marriage and death from 1873-1892 are available on microfilm at the Allen County Public Library. Check with the church for additional information.

Back to top

Page updated: April 13, 2017