Home > Churches of Allen County, Indiana
Our pages give a brief overview of early churches with histories that start before 1920 in Allen County, Indiana. Some of these older churches no longer exist, some changed their names, and others merged into other churches. There is a short history on each church, a list of what records the church keeps, and how you may obtain these records. Many churches records have been copied and are available at the Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center. The Church Burial Records Index is at the ACPL Genealogy Center. Please Contact Allen INGenWeb for additions or corrections.
Fort Wayne is often called the City of Churches. Mentioned as early as 1894 in Fort Wayne Up to Date and listed on Wikipedia's City of Churches list. Visit Fort Wayne Twitter tweet on January 24, 2013 said we have over 360 churches. Gallup Politics lists the United States as 70% religious with Indiana as 42.7% very religious for 2012 from Mississippi Maintains Hold as Most Religious U.S. State February 13, 2013. Another description maybe a city of many faiths - One community, many faiths by Cindy Larson of The News-Sentinel newspaper May 6, 2013.
Frontier faith : the story of the pioneer congregations of Fort Wayne, Indiana, 1820-1860 by George Ross Mather ; with illustrations by Kenneth B. Dutton. Fort Wayne, Ind. : Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society, 1992, 341 pages, 277.7274 M42F at the Allen County Public Library.
Many of these churches included their histories in the 2006 publication History of Fort Wayne & Allen County, Indiana 1700-2005 Volume 2 starting on page 122. You can request Lookups from our Volunteers or purchase the $124..95 two volume set.
The first church services where held in 1822 in the fort, and the first church was built in 1831. If the church has a web site the denomination name is the link, or the church name on the township page.
Churches rarely maintain records of births and deaths. Churches often maintain registers of sacrament - baptisms, marriages, confirmations, and burials. Many early church records are coming online and links will be found in the township pages. The Genealogy Center at the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana has an Allen County Congregational Pathfinder discussing local churches and points to their pathfinder Allen County Congregations pdf file.
Many local churches have German origins and had German services in the Fort Wayne area until World War I. Most changed to English services after World War II according to the history of the Indiana District of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.
The Methodists by Tom Castaldi published May 17, 2016 on History Center Notes & Queries blog.
Modern Day Monks Create Biblical Masterpiece video by Indiana NewsCenter. They’re the most valuable books on the planet, illuminated bibles, hand printed, hand decorated by medieval monks 6 to 800 years ago…expressions of faith that are priceless works of art.
- A circuit rider in early Indiana (1954) - Robinson, Reuben D, reprinted from an Indianapolis newspaper, it appeared in the Fort Wayne Sentinel newspaper December 28, 1880
- A mission to the Indians, from the Indian committee of Baltimore Yearly Meeting, to Fort Wayne, in 18O4 - Hopkins, Gerard T; Never offered for sale, but presented to Friends and others interested in Indian affairs. cf. Field, T. W. An essay towards an Indian bibliography. After receiving farming implements from the Friends, Miami Chief Little Turtle and Pottawottamie Chief Five Medals request assistance to teach the Indians farming. This is the account of that mission to Fort Wayne in 1804.
- Consecration and dedication of the Scottish Rite Cathedral, Valley of Fort Wayne, Indiana, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, November 16, 17, 18, 1909
- First annual catalogue and year-book of the Indiana State Conference of the Christian denomination, and of the district conferences in the state of Indiana (1881) - Indiana State Christian Conference, [Formation of the] Indiana State Christian Conference -- Constitution -- Annual conference address -- Union Christian College -- Union Miami Reserve Conference -- Southern Indiana Conference -- Western Indiana Conference -- Eel River Conference -- Eastern Indiana Conference -- North Western Indiana Conference -- Central Indiana Conference -- A list of ministers -- Summing up and remarks / Peter Winebrenner
- Program and directory (1916) - Fort Wayne Ministerial Association
- Religious manuscripts old and new - Grimshaw, Ivan Gerould. "Seventh Annual Spring Exhibit of Religious Books, 1961."
- The Three R's of Researching Roman Catholic Church Records by Lisa Alzo May 14, 2013 on Archives.com.
- Tridentine Mass at Sacred Heart In Fort Wayne August 6, 2009 - Manga1, This is the first half of a Tridentine Latin Mass on the fest day of the transfiguration which is was also my 29 th birthday. Mass is with Father George Gabbet FSSP, At the Saint Mother Thodora Gurrin Latin Mass Society in Fort Wayne Indiana.
FW Churches.com lists current churches.
- Indiana Lutheran Church Records and Histories list at Genealoger.com.
- United States Church Records at FamilySearch