Saint Joseph Township Churches
Organized in 1828
Parkwood Church of God - October 1959
Trier and Hobson Road
Read the founding pastor's story Pastor eases grip on pulpit after 53 years on the St. Joe Times on fwdailynews.com.
St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church
4916 Trier Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46815, Phone 260.482.2186, website: http://www.stcharlesfortwayne.org/
Established in June 1957 by then-Bishop Leo A. Pursley as the 79th parish founded in the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend. See St. Charles Borromeo is an active, thriving parish by Bonnie Elberson published May 16, 2017 on Today's Catholic News.
St. Joseph United Methodist Church
Formerly: St. Joseph Methodist Episcopal Church
6004 Reed Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46815 260.485.9681, website: https://stjoemin.com/, YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTKelDmxd551Qg-Y_SjM3cw
Originally at the SE then NE corner of St. Joe Road and St. Joe Center Road now the Parker Cemetery
St Joseph UMC 150th Anniversary Video by Hannah Haines uploaded October 8, 2016 on YouTube video
In 1836 a group of people met under a tree on the Saint Joseph River inviting a circuit rider of the Methodist Episcopal Church to be their spiritual leader. A person who often met in these early gatherings was a man named John Chapman, a missionary of the Swedenborgian Faith, who was better known as Johnny Appleseed. Although he was never a member of the congregation, records show that when he died on March 11, 1845, his funeral was conducted by the Methodist circuit rider. In 1863, the Saint Joseph Methodist Episcopal Church was formally chartered with founding pastor Rev. James M. Greer. In the Fall of 1863, the church's first wood-frame building was erected at the southeast corner of the intersection of St. Joe and Papermill Roads (now St. Joe Center Road) where the Parker Cemetery is now located. The lumber for the 34' x 45' frame building came from a nearby sawmill operated by Christian Parker. In 1916 a red brick church was built at the former site and dedicated May 16, 1916. A Tiffany-style stained-glass window of the Good Shepard from this building can still be seen in the current building. In 1957 the present church was built on the northeast corner of St. Joe Center and Reed Roads where they celebrated their centennial in 1963. This information was copied from their 2007 church directory. See many photos in their 19 minute St Joseph UMC 150th Anniversary Video by Hannah Haines uploaded October 8, 2016 on YouTube video. St. Joseph UMC to mark 150 years by Garth Snow was published August 5, 2013 on infortwayne.com but is no longer online. Contact the church regarding records.
St. Jude Catholic Church
2130 Pemberton Drive, Ft. Wayne, IN 46805, 260.484.6609, website: http://www.stjudefw.org/
From 1925 to 1927, Catholic residents of Lakeside and Kensington Addition in Fort Wayne began showing a strong interest in seeing a new parish established. On May 7, 1926, the diocese purchased five acres of land bounded by State Boulevard, Randallia Drive, Forest Avenue and Pemberton Drive. The building project was entrusted to Father Thomas M. Conroy, rector of the cathedral. Bishop Noll dedicated the school and a chapel on March 3, 1929. The next day, the Sisters of Providence opened the doors of the new school to 105 children in four grades. Condensed from a much longer article In My Diocese: Focusing on stewardship: St. Jude Parish by Deb Wagner published May 16, 2017 on Today's Catholic News.
St. Michael's of Pier Catholic Church
Corner of St. Joe Center and Hazelett Roads
Organized in 1869. A church was built in 1870. The congregation disbanded after 1880. Records are available with St. Vincent DePaul Catholic Church, Washington Township records and are on microfilm at the Allen County Public Library.
St. Peter's Lutheran Church and Cemetery
7710 E. State Blvd., Fort Wayne, IN 46815 260.749.5816
Originally at the corner of Maysville Road and State Blvd.
Organized in 1855 by members of St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Fort Wayne who lived in the area. Records on birth, baptism, confirmation, marriage and death from 1855. Records have been photocopied and are available at the Allen County Public Library.
Taylor Chapel United Methodist Church
Formerly: Bowers Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church and Cemetery
10145 Maysville Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46835 260.749.8597
Originally at the corner of Wheelock and Stellhorn Roads
Organized in approximately 1865. First church was erected in the 1870s. In 1893 a larger church was built ¾ mile east on Maysville Road and the name was changed to Taylor Chapel. In 1964 the present church was erected. Records from approximately 1865 include birth, baptism, confirmation, marriage and death. Contact church for information.
An early morning fire December 31, 2012 damaged and turned the sanctuary black with soot and dust. Read the story Faith aglow in church fire’s wake by Archie Ingersoll of The Journal Gazette newspaper January 1, 2013.Back to top