The Search box on the top of each page will quickly find names and search terms on our pages. If you can supply biographical material on more people please Contact Allen INGenWeb.
- Lawrence Overmire from his Memorial page on Find A Grave.
History remembers only the celebrated, genealogy remembers them all
History isn't about dates and places and wars. It's about the people who filled the spaces between them. - Jodi Picoult posted October 18, 2017 by Amy Johnson Crow on Facebook.
- ACGSI Records page has a growing list of indexed records for Allen County, Indiana.
- Cityscapes - People & Places is on the archives of The News-Sentinel newspaper.
- Family Web Sites of Allen County, Indiana is our list of local family web sites as well as how to find web sites that no longer exist via the Wayback Machine using automatic browser extensions to find those archived web pages.
- Historical Record Lists has over 400 names of people who served such as ministers, mayors, state representaives and more prior to 1900 in Allen County and other counties in Indiana at OurFamilyTree.com.
- April 8, 2017 and August 11, 2017 general discussion of people from Fort Wayne were on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Closed group on Facebook.
We have a Surname Queries page where you can post names on our Submit a Surname Query page, or search already submitted names on our Query Index page.
The Genealogy Center at the Allen County Public Library has a web page called Life Stories Your Story, Our History, Told By You that has links to interview information and a growing collection of online video Interviews recorded, preserved and presented at the library. Current video interview pages include:
- Allen County Public Library Interviews
- Community Interviews
- Family Resources growing collection of material submitted to The Genealogy Center at the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Indiana Artists
More than 1,000 entries compiled from the "Indiana Artists" clipping folder of the Indiana Collection Vertical File (which no longer exists).
- Lasting Lawyer Legacy Project currently has the most videos of local attorneys. Information not in the history books was one heading in the article Allen County Bar Association project collects oral histories from the legal community by Marilyn Odendahl published August 9, 2017 on The Indiana Lawyer.com.
- "My Life Indiana" Stories
- Surname File
Lists other researchers searching same surname w/ contact information
- 1875 State Legislators - INGenWeb pdf - name Index
- 1860 Lawyers from Livingston's United States Law Register published in the December 5, 1894 Fort Wayne Weekly Sentinel newspaper on Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana on Facebook.
- 1879 State Legislators on Internet Archive
- 108 year old resident: Irene Alma Steiss Burgoon Mensalvas died September 11, 2012. She lived on Ferguson Road farm that became part of Fort Wayne International Airport, lived in Hawaii, several states, a couple other countries before returning to Fort Wayne. From her Fort Wayne Newspapers Legacy.com obituary.
- A Brief History of Brewing in Fort Wayne, Indiana on the Wayback Machine formerly IndianaBeer.com.
- Dialects and 4 part
tongue in cheekYouTube video How To Speak Hoosier video links discussed August 10, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Closed group on Facebook. Some of the video comments indicate some of these dialects are fading away and not state wide.
- Finding Indiana Records a pdf by the Indiana Historical Society
- First Name Abbreviations
From Genealogy In Time archived on the Wayback Machine.
In many historic documents, first names were abbreviated. For example, old street directories and city directories always abbreviated common first names. Parish records often abbreviated familiar Christian names. This was done to save space and paper.
- Historical Databases of over 18,000 19th-20th Century Indiana Physicians and over 9,000 Union Civil War Surgeons at Ruth Lilly Medical Library at Indiana University of Medicine. 14 Doctors of Allen County search results.
- Hoosiers: The Story of Indianafour-part video series explores Indiana’s 200-year history. Based on the definitive history of Indiana, Hoosiers: A New History of Indiana, by James Madison. Produced by WFYI Public Media.
- The book Legendary Locals of Fort Wayne by Randy Harter and Craig Hartman is about 182 well known Fort Wayne locals released August 31, 2015 and nnounced July 16, 2015 on You know you've lived in Fort Wayne too long when...a Closed Group on Facebook.
- Fort Wayne researcher on quest to find 'One Hundred Leading Hoosiers 1816-1916'
Fort Wayne woman is trying to track down all of the people profiled in the 1916 newspaper series “One Hundred Leading Hoosiers 1816-1916,” which highlighted people who made major contributions to the state.by Kevin Kilbane published February 4, 2016 in The News-Sentinel newspaper .
- Legends of Fort Wayne. Over 400 comments December 28, 2017 on I grew up in Fort Wayne, Indiana on Facebook.
- Linkpendium has links to over 9 million surnames worldwide including 160,000 recently added free online biographies according to their November 21, 2015 Facebook post.
- List of people from Fort Wayne, Indiana on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- List of people from Indiana on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Little-known women influenced city by Michael Hawfield in Cityscapes from the archives of The News-Sentinel newspaper.
- Miss Fort Wayne Scholarship Organization - list of names from beginning in the 1940s to present on FreeWebs.com
- Most Popular People Born In "Fort Wayne/ Indiana/ USA" lists over 120 people with some
claim to famewith Fort Wayne connections on IMDb.com.
- Old Settlers and pioneers in Indiana by Indiana Division Librarian Andrea Glenn published December 6, 2017 on Indiana State Library blog.
- Fort Wayne media personalities discussed August 16, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Closed group on Facebook.
spellings were often based on what the writer heard, rather than standard English grammar and spelling.Discussed in this blog North American Dialects and Fonetik Speling by Michael J. Leclerc's Genealogy News May 9, 2013 on the Wayback Machine for Mocavo about the North American English Dialects, Based on Pronunciation Patterns Rick Aschmann outlines eight dialects in North America. Discussed again as Where to Find the Best Collections of Regional Dialects and Local Accents by Nick Douglas September 7, 2017 on lifehacker.com.
- Top 5 Names In Each Of The Last 100 Yearsfemale and male names 1917 through the last year on Social Security.gov
- A common myth is some of our ancestors changed the spelling of their name at Ellis Island. Read: Ellis Island -- Names were NOT changed! A very persistent myth perpetuated in our genealogical world ... on the July 10, 2013 National Genealogical Society blog.
- USGenWeb has a list of Common Nicknames.
- People from Fort Wayne and Allen County on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
- Portraits in the Grand Staircase - portraits of Sam Hanna, Samuel Foster, and Major-General Henry Lawton by Carmen Doyle published September 24, 2014 in the History Center Notes & Queries blog.
- Social Security Administration Top 10 Baby Names have look up by decade and state.
- Why is HE so important? (A brief reason why some things in Fort Wayne were named that) (The dead guys with streets and places named after them) by Carmen Doyle published December 24, 2013 in the History Center Notes & Queries blog.
- Writing Her Story annually since 2013 by the Indiana Commission for Women.
In 1966, the famous “Blue Light Special” was invented by a Kmart manager in Fort Wayne, Indiana, who was seeking a way to make it easier for his customers to find the Christmas wrapping paper that he was clearing; the Blue Light Special went on to be adopted chainwide and become an American icon. Copied from Kmart Corporation on Encyclopdia.com.
From The Journal Gazette newspaper
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/journalgazette/videos
On Vimeo over 4,000 videos in 2016: https://vimeo.com/thejournalgazette
From The News-Sentinel newspaper
News-Sentinel.com videos: http://www.news-sentinel.com/videos/
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thenewssentinel/videos