Marion Township Churches
Organized in August 1835
Bethel Baptist Church and Cemetery
Organized in 1838. In 1849 a building was erected on Winchester Road just north of the Adams County line. In 1870 a new church was built in Williamsport (Poe). The church no longer exists. See Allen County cemeteries.
9909 Wayne Trace, Facebook
Organized December 25, 1845 as St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church of Marion Township near Thompson Road. A new church and cemetery were dedicated in December 1861 at 9909 Wayne Trace. In 1864 merged with St. John congregation in Adams Township on Hartzel Road changing the name in 1871.
6608 Hoagland Road, Hoagland, IN 46745 260.639.6340
Organized in 1995 by the merger of Poe United Methodist and Hoagland United Methodist of Madison Township. Contact church regarding records from both churches.
Middletown Methodist Episcopal Church
Corner Franklin and First Streets, Poe, IN
Organized in 1835. The church moved to Hoagland in 1876. See Hoagland Methodist Church, Madison Township.
Poe (Williamsport) Methodist Episcopal Church
Butler Street, Poe, IN
St. John's Lutheran Church and Cemetery
Wayne Trace just south of Maples Road
Organized in 1858. Disbanded after 1880. Records are with Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church, Fort Wayne (see Wayne Township).
St. Joseph - Hessen Cassel Catholic Church and Cemetery
11337 Old U.S. 27 S., Fort Wayne, IN 46816 260.639.3748, website: www.stjoehc.org
Organized in 1841 by mostly German immigrants from Hessen Cassel in the diocese of Fulda, Germany. A temporary log-cabin chapel was erected in 1851 and was replaced by the present church in 1857. Baptism, marriage and death records exist from 1852. First communion records exist since 1899. Early records are in Latin and German. Records have been microfilmed and photocopied and are available at the Allen County Public Library. St. Joseph Hessen Cassel stands as a beacon for 175 years by Bonnie Elberson in Today's Catholic.
St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery
Log cabin near Thompson Road
Organized December 25, 1845. New church and cemetery dedicated in December 1861 at 9909 Wayne Trace. After 1864 merged with St. John of Adams Township and in 1871 name changed to Emmanuel Lutheran Church and Cemetery.Back to top