National Cigar Store
Main Street, Seeing Main Street's colorful past: 1 of 2 former stores to get makeover by Frank Gray published October 6, 2014 in The Journal Gazette newspaper.
National Guard Armory
Completed in 1930 on Clinton Street, besides National Guard activities it held many concerts and other public activities. It was torn down in 1997 to make way for the new Headwaters Park. Hoped to keep it to use for the new park winter activities but needed too many costly repairs to save. Aerial photo taken in July 1997 and discussion March 30, 2018 by Randy Harter, Fort Wayne historian and author, on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
National Register of Historic Places
- National Register of Historic Places information at the National Park Service. National Register Database and Research, National Register of Historic Places and National Historic Landmarks Program Records: Indiana
- List of INDIANA - Allen County on National Register of Historic Places, INDIANA - Allen County - Historic Districts and INDIANA - Allen County - Vacant / Not In Use at
American Dreams Inc., the developers of this web site; nationalregisterofhistoricalplaces.com, is not affiliated in any way with the U.S. Dept. of Interior, the National Park Service, or the National Register of Historic Places.
- See our local Historic Districts in Allen County, Indiana on National Register of Historic Places
- Over 70 places on the National Register of Historic Places listings in Allen County, Indiana by the United States Department of the Interior on Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopediawhich also has links to the application forms for each property too.
- Lafayette Place Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2013 from a May 5, 2022 post by Fort Wayne Neighborhoods on Facebook. Lafayette Place Historic District
is an example of an early “suburban” development in Fort Wayne. It was developed in 1915 with convenient access to roads, streetcars, and even an electric interurban rail line. The neighborhood has a formal “esplanade” inspired by formal French urban design; created by pioneer landscape architect Arthur A. Shurcliff. Wildwood Builders of Fort Wayne developed two other neighborhoods designed by Shurcliff; Wildwood Park, and the Brookview Addition. Lafayette Place has an outstanding collection of historic homes, with a variety of early to mid-twentieth century styles. The neighborhood is located south of downtown Fort Wayne between S. Calhoun Street and S. Lafayette Street, and immediately north of Southgate Shopping Center. The Lafayette Place Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2013.
Wildwood Park - September 18, 2013 from a May 19, 2022 post by Fort Wayne Neighborhoods on Facebook. Wildwood Park
Fort Wayne Neighborhoods photo
south of W. Jefferson Blvd., between Freeman and Ardmore, was a rural suburban village when it was first developed beginning in 1916. It was a location that was outside the city and far beyond other residential developments in Fort Wayne. Promotional literature reads, “Wildwood Park is open to the fields and groves. It is the country dressed up in her best, and brought to town.” Designed as an “automobile suburb,” it was at a location that required travel by automobile to the city (or west to the Country Club). It is one of the three neighborhoods developed by Wildwood Builders and designed by landscape architect Arthur A. Shurcliff. As a large development, Shurcliff had the area to design large lots and wide curving streets that took full advantage of the rolling topography and existing trees. Wildwood Park has a significant collection of home styles, including Craftsman, Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch.
- Lafayette Place Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2013 from a May 5, 2022 post by Fort Wayne Neighborhoods on Facebook. Lafayette Place Historic District
It's been called the most significant road in Indiana history. The National Road, which begins in Cumberland, Md., was a major route through the wilderness that thousands of early settlers used to reach Indiana. The pioneer road, which was completed in rough and rugged form through Indiana in 1834, bisects the Hoosier state east-west from Richmond to Terre Haute. Suggested by none other than George Washington, the National Road was the country's first federal highway project and initially ended in Vandalia, Il., an early state capital of Illinois. Other state capitals â€“ including Indianapolis and Columbus, Ohio, were built on the National Road or in anticipation of its construction. The construction of the road was arduous, an aspect that Nelson will explore with his guest, Ball State University history professor Ron Morris, vice president of the Society of Indiana Pioneers. An expert on in-migration to Indiana, Ron has traveled extensively on the National Road. Beginning in the 1920s, much of the road was designated as U.S. 40, an era that Hoosier History Live explored during a show in 2013. For this show, we will focus on the earliest era of the road, particularly the challenges involved with its construction. During the pioneer era, workers were confronted by tall, towering trees, deep forests and meandering rivers and streams. Copied introduction to The National Road: pioneer highway into Indiana January 29, 2022 on the
Archives of Hoosier History Live podcast on Saturdays, noon to 1 p.m. ET on WICR 88.7 FM.
By the end of December 2012, Navistar International Corp. whittled its local workforce from about 1,400 in 2010 to about 20 from Navistar closing nearly done Workforce of 20 to be left behind by year’s end October 28, 2012 by Sherry Slater of The Journal Gazette newspaper. See our International Harvester section.
Shortly after the Wabash and Erie Canal opened to traffic town came into being. Located at “Gundy’s Deadening”, eight miles east of Fort Wayne in Adams Township, hoped to profit from movement on canal. Town platted by Eben & Henry Burgess. Incorporated in 1866. Eban Burgess sold eight acres to son Henry in 1836 for $1,600, the younger Burgess platted the area and named the fledgling settlement New Haven after the family's hometown in Connecticut.
- Website: newhaven.in.gov
- The City of New Haven Indiana on Facebook posts Fun Facts with photos and historical information on buildings, bridges, events, and more.
- New Haven Centennial, Allen County, Indiana and New Haven Canal Days, 1991, Allen County, Indiana at The Genealogy Center
- New Haven offering 150 good reasons to celebrate all year long by Kevin Leininger published June 21, 2016 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.
- New Haven Petition for Incorporation, 1866 and New Haven Local Census, 1866 on ACGSI.org.
- Get a modern look at An Afternoon in New Haven, Indiana! by Emma C. posted on August 07, 2017 by Visit Fort Wayne.
- New Haven Area Heritage Association, Inc. This corporation is formed for the purpose of promotion, preservation, research, study, and appreciation of the historical heritage of the Greater New Haven, Indiana area and for any other lawful purpose under the laws of the State of Indiana.
See our Newspapers page and our section on The Journal Gazette newspaper and The News-Sentinel below.
Newspaper first published as The Sentinel on July 6, 1833 as a weekly paper, it ceased publication April 23, 2020. In 1918 it merged with the The Fort Wayne Daily News to become The News-Sentinel an afternoon newspaper. A new building was built in 1958 at their former locaion 600 W. Main Street. Knight-Ridder Newspapers purchased The News-Sentinel in 1980, then sold in 2006 to McClatchy Newspapers then Ogden Newspapers of Wheeling, W. Va. They celebrated their 175th anniversary in 2008. Their last print edition was October 7, 2017 and is currently only available online at their website: www.news-sentinel.com. Copied from their About Us page. See Steeped in history The News-Sentinel celebrates 175 years of reporting the news by Chelsea Brune published July 7, 2008 on The News-Sentinel newspaper. See their OUR 175TH YEAR 1833-2008 page with links to newspaper front pages. Has pages like 1922-1923 Timeline.
April 23, 2020 various news sources announced the last day of publication of The News-Sentinel in the print edition of The Journal Gazette newspaper saying their online website would be suspended but still remains online as of September 2022.
Fort Wayne Newspapers is adjusting staffing and features in response to the impacts of the coronavirus pandemic, said President and CEO Scott Stanford. ... Among the changes is that Fort Wayne Newspapers is suspending publication of the News-Sentinel page for now. The page will be evaluated for return as market conditions improve, Stanford said. Longtime News-Sentinel reporter and columnist Kevin Leininger has been furloughed as a result of the suspension. Other employees also have been furloughed and some positions eliminated as Fort Wayne Newspapers makes modest but appropriate adjustments to staff in response to the challenging economic environment, Stanford said. “The global pandemic and resulting shutdown of the northeast Indiana economy has placed downward pressure on many businesses,” Stanford said. “It is our hope that, as businesses are able to reopen, the economy begins to improve and business returns to more normal levels, we will be able to bring back furloughed employees and restore features like the News-Sentinel page.” Copied from Fort Wayne Newspapers adjusts staff, features published April 23, 2020 on www.news-sentinel.com.
Fort Wayne Newspapers President and CEO Scott Stanford told WANE 15 on Thursday that the company was forced to adjust staffing and features in response to the impacts of the coronavirus pandemic, and the News-Sentinel would be shelved. Stanford said the page would be “evaluated for return as market conditions improve.” Kevin Leininger, the paper’s lone reporter and columnist, has been furloughed as a result of the suspension, Stanford said. Fort Wayne Newspapers also furloughed employees in its advertising, production and niche products divisions last week, and eliminated positions within its circulation department, he said. ... In August 2018, it laid off nearly its entire staff, and retained a single reporter to retain its joint operating agreement with the Journal Gazette. From Publication of Fort Wayne News-Sentinel suspended amid virus pandemic published April 23, 2020 in CBS WANE-TV NewsChannel 15.
- The News-Sentinel has dozens of videos on their YouTube channel.
- Search Fort Wayne News-Sentinel Archives on newsbank.com is a pay site that appears with a keyword search to find screen shots and text articles from 1901-2017 actually 1918-2017, 1990-2020, and Journal Gazette 1992-Current including a Browse by date feature. One work around would be use the search feature to find articles, then look up the microfilm in the The Genealogy Center at the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
- News Sentinel Text Archive Search or browse through The News Sentinel newspaper articles from Fort Wayne, IN for 1962-2019 using your Allen County Public Library card online!
- Cityscapes is a series of online articles from The News-Sentinel newspaper archives. There are lots of subcategories under various categories. I am still trying to find all the pages that link to other articles. Here are the ones I found so far:
- Cityscapes - Business
- Cityscapes - General history
- Cityscapes - People & Places
- Cityscapes - Transportation
- 1000 to 1900 Millennium milestones in Fort Wayne
- Path to the past
- Take the portage journey
- Portage points
- Millennium milestones in Fort Wayne
- Settlement born of simple beginnings
- Interactive map of the portage
- Stories from our archives 1940s stories isolated from other 1940 stories
- FORT WAYNE HISTORY, has another subcategory FORT WAYNE HISTORY Stories about time periods from 1000 up to 1999, with 1900s by decade.
- I remember Fort Wayne - online tour of Summit City history with links to articles by author or topic
- Summit City History Notes The early history of Fort Wayne (Originally published as a special Mini-Page edition for young people) by Richard Battin dated October 19, 1993 is a page of paragraphs that act as if linked to longer articles but the links no longer work. There are other pages by Richard Battin labeled Summit City History Notes but I have found no easy way to find them so far other than internet searches or using the links above.
- This Day in History has 10 or more article links per page showing a dozen or more photos from their archive taken over the years on specific dates. Page links to around 100 pages of various articles posted mostly in 2016-2018.
- See The News Sentinel Building by ARCH ( Architecture and Community Heritage).
- The News and Sentinel (Fort Wayne, Ind.;fort Wayne, in) 1921-Current at The Library of Congress.
- In 1950 publisher Helene Foellinger had increased circulation to 67,800 in Foellinger legacy helps children and families published October 7, 2017 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.
- News-Sentinel announces transition to digital format now at Editor & Publisher originally published August 24, 2017 on The News-Sentinel newspaper. Posted August 24, 2017 on their Facebook page.
- The News-Sentinel announces move to digital, ending print edition include photo of headline published August 24, 2017 on Fort Wayne's NBC-33 television station.
- Marking 184 Years in Print: The Final, Commemorative Edition of The News-Sentinel published October 7, 2017 at The News-Sentinel newspaperembeds on their page the October 6, 2017 posting the Commerative Edition of The News-Sentinel newspaperwas posted online at ISSUU.
- Lots of comments when posted August 24, 2017 and again August 24, 2017 including a photo of 1958 building posted September 18, 2017 but removed and comments discussed the removal on August 24, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook. Historian Craig Leonard commented:
There was a great photo spread about the new building in the N-S, 6/26/1926, when it opened. Designed by the Cleveland architects Mead & Hamilton( the latter one of the Fort Wayne Hamiltons) They also did a house for Robert Feustel on Taylor, just off Ardmore. I did the National Register nomination for the Feustel House.
- Neighbors sections took news coverage to the neighborhood and town level The popular sections debuted in 1982. by Kevin Kilbane published October 07, 2017 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.
- News-Sentinel columnist reflects on newspaper's history Betty Stein has lived 100 of The News-Sentinel's 184 years in existence. By Sheryl Kreig published October 7, 2017 in The News-Sentinel newspaper on now on page 6L of the Commemorative edition in item 5 above.
- Slideshow: Historic Fort Wayne photos from The News-Sentinel was published October 11, 2017 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.
- See history of the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel on IndianaHistory.org
- The News-Sentinel on Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.
- Staffing changes at The News-Sentinel won’t change its commitment to the community by News-Sentinel Staff Reports published August 13, 2018 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.
“The News-Sentinel has deep roots in the community and we are steadfast in our commitment to give residents a targeted website that covers the area’s news and events,” said Pete Van Baalen, the general manager for Fort Wayne Newspapers. “We understand the importance of providing residents with news they care about and a voice to the issues that concern them.” The News-Sentinel.com reaches more that 200,000 unique readers each month. The most popular features on the site will continue. The website will continue to be updated with original reporting and timely content.
Nickel Plate Railroad
Several photos in Throwback Thursday: Nickel Plate Railroad elevation construction and dedication by Cory McMaken published April 27, 2017 in The Journal Gazette newspaper. See photo of houses right up to the railroad tracks on pages 5-6 'A brief revisit for "Elevate the Nickel Plate"' by Kelly Lynch, Editor in Short Lines Winter 2015 newsletter by the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society. Discussed downtown depot June 10, 2017, main track June 10, 2017 onthe original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook. See Wikipedia article. The Nickel Plate marker is Stop #18 on the ARCH ( Architecture and Community Heritage) Central Downtown Trail. The Nickel Plate railroad elevation was dedicated October 4, 1955, at the Calhoun Street crossing downtown. Read more in Throwback Thursday: Nickel Plate Railroad elevation construction and dedication by Corey McMaken published April 27, 2017 in The Journal Gazette newspaper. “Let’s Elevate The Nickel Plate” – 1954 by Randy Harter, Fort Wayne historian and author, published August 8, 2018 on Fort Wayne Reader.
Joel Roberts Ninde, Fort Wayne, Indiana’s first female architect, in June of 1900 she was listed in the Mobile, Alabama census and by October 21, 1900 her marriage license was recorded in Indianapolis, then she moved to Fort Wayne. See Unraveling the Past: History and Ancestry of Joel Roberts Ninde: Fort Wayne’s First Female Architect by Corinne Toth published July 6, 2009 on Joel Roberts Ninde blog, An account of Indiana’s first female architect and her amazing legacy of comfortable, artistic and affordable houses. Mentioned in Noble Olds and Theodore Thieme Homes by Tom Castaldi published November 6, 2014 on the History Center Notes & Queries blog. See photos posted March 5, 2018 by The History Centeron Facebook.
13398 U.S. 27 S. - in 1837 the Millers and the Kings opened a primitive tavern on the Piqua Road, now U.S. 27 South which covers part of the Old Piqua Road from Monmouth, Indiana to downtown Fort Wayne. Roads then were little more than one of the numerous Indiana traces or foot paths between main points such as from Fort Recovery, Ohio. In 1839, Miller and King opened a store at the site of the Nine Mile house. The name “Nine Mile” advertised its distance from the Allen County Court House. It is now called the Nine Mile Restaurant & Catering.
A sign in the bar says Nine Mile is the oldest bar in Indiana, established in 1837. From Restaurant review: Nine Mile Restaurant still serves great food, history by Cindy Larson of the News-Sentinel February 5, 2013. See Allen County's Oldest Restaurant by John Beatty published August 22, 2011 on History Center Notes & Queries blog. Their web site used to say: Taverns were necessary for the convenience of pioneers and explorers, especially in those early days. Because settlers were few in number, the opportunity for administering to the wants of the hungry and way worn voyagers through the wilderness of Northern Indiana was meager. As a consequence, taverns were in great demand. Hospitality has always been one of the prime elements of pioneer life, and the hospitality offered by the first settlers in Allen County was no exception. The first roads with which Allen County was traversed were scarcely entitled to the name, being only traces adopted by the Indians from constant usage between notable points. The village of Kekionga (presently Fort Wayne), being a central point, was approached by numerous traces. The principal of these was from Fort Recovery, Ohio: the Piqua Road, U.S. 27 South — just outside our front door — now covers part of the Old Piqua Road from Monmouth, Indiana to downtown Fort Wayne. In 1839, Miller and King opened a store at the site of the Nine Mile house and prospered. The Millers and the Kings also ran a primitive tavern which had been established in 1837. The name “Nine Mile” advertised its distance from the Allen County Court House. You’ve gone the distance……Welcome to Nine Mile! From Nine Mile Restaurant Our Roots on the Internet Archive Wayback Machineand FortWayneNightOut.com.
NOB Brick & Fireplaces
4936 Nob Road, founded in 1954, sells of brick, stone, indoor and outdoor fireplaces, landscape material and related merchandise. See Straight from the hearth Brick, fireplace dealer supplies commercial, residential customers published November 3, 2014 in The Journal Gazette newspaper.
Nobbson Women's Apparel
Photo of clothing box and discussion May 17, 2017 and more photos September 26, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
Back to top
2500 S. Fairfield Avenue.
The marble and stone mansion was built in 1916 and was paid for with money earned from an old cough syrup formula. William H. Noll in 1905 formed the Pinex Co. to market a cough syrup which was sold through his father's drug store. ... William Noll was rich enough by 1916 to erect this sumptuous edifice, which reportedly cost more than $1 million to build. Life at the Noll house was an exercise in luxury. The Nolls were famous for their lavish parties and manicured lawns and garden. The ornately carved rooms and plush furnishings oozed an aura of wealth which soon became an anachronism. The years passed and the Noll house gradually fell into disrepair then outright neglect. ... By 1960, weeds and unmowed grass had replaced the sculptured lawn. ... By the time the old Italianate walls came down in 1974, it was almost a blessing. Today just the old carriage house is left of a manor which once boasted gold fixtures, a ballroom, a fountain and countless other luxuries. Copied from Fort Wayne's Saddest Story by Kevin Leininger a September 5, 1981 story with photo from the archives of The News-Sentinel newspaper and on Fort Wayne Lost (But Not Forgotten) video on PBS39 WFWA Fort Wayne.
- Missing Mansions of Fort Wayne: Hamilton, Hanna and Noll by Anthony McNair Quest Club, Fort Wayne, IN November 8th, 2002 at Allen County Public Library Digital Collections at the Allen County Public Library.
- W. H. Noll Residence several ACPL photos and discussion July 17, 2017 onthe original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook.
- Noll Mansion ca. 1925 by Randy Harter, Fort Wayne historian and author, published November 6, 2017 on Fort Wayne Reader with photo and posted November 10, 2017 and newspaper photos posted November 13, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
- A tale of two houses [Bishop Noll house and the Noll Mansion] [ARCH newsletter spring 1995] by Michael Hawfield posted November 18, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
- Photos from Noll Mansion seearch at Building a Nation: Indiana Limestone Photograph Collection at Image Collections Online at Indiana University discussed December 14, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
- Photo posted and discussed May 24, 2018 on Fort Wayne Food Tours Facebook page.
- Photos of pieces purchased from the 1974 auction before demolishion were posted October 7, 2018 by Randy Harter, Fort Wayne historian and author, on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
North American Van Line
Photo and discussion March 29, 2017 and 1954 Indiana Champions baseball team with names posted May 19, 2017 onthe original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook.
Northcrest Shopping Center
Built in the late 1950s, an aerial photo from a 1958 The News-Sentinel newspaperarticle and lots of comments including aerial map photos of 1957 vs 1964 posted June 28, 2018 and 1960s photo of Montgomery Ward, Howard's S.S. Kresge Co., and Hutner's Paris posted June 6, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
Northeast Indiana Baseball Association - NEIBA
Northeast Indiana Baseball Association (NEIBA) has worked to preserve and promote the heritage of America's National Pastime in Fort Wayne and Northeast Indiana since the 1940's.
The Story of Your House
image on Facebook
North Side Bait & Tackle
95-year-old former building, Earl Knight Filling Station, c. 1926, was removed to build a round-a-bout at Five Points at the the intersection of Goshen Ave., Sherman Blvd. and Lillian Ave., formerly on the historic Lincoln Highway. As of August 2022,
Google map Street View is still showing 2018 viewwith the bait shop still there. The Five Points roundabout was part of a larger plan to polish up a major gateway into Fort Wayne. The city added curbs and gutters, storm sewers, decorative lighting, and landscaping and a sidewalk. Copied from Editorial Roundabout path toward better traffic published September 03, 2017 in The Journal Gazette newspaper. City to build roundabout at Goshen, Sherman, Lillian Intersection by Kaitor Kay posted August 17, 2017 on CBS WANE-TV NewsChannel 15. Several photos were posted and discussed August 17, 2017 and many more on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook. Photo posted August 24, 2017 and updated September 3, 2017 quoting
City Engineer Shan Gunawardena said it was an option to physically move the building to another location on the intersection on The Story of Your House on Facebook. Tackle shop caught in demolition net includes a map and discussion with city officials by KPC Media News Service published November 27, 2018 on INFortWayne.com and discussed November 27, 2018 on their Facebook page. August 8, 2022 a photo of the Barnsdall gas station at Five Points was posted on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook.
Northwest Territory Ordinance
Adoption by the U.S. Congress in 1787 of this ordinance established the Northwest Territory consisting of today's states of Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin.
In the Congressional Record Volume 145, Number 162 (Tuesday, November 16, 1999)] [House] [Pages H12066-H12076] From the Congressional Record Online through the Government Publishing Office [www.gpo.gov] NORTHWEST TERRITORY OF THE GREAT LAKES HERITAGE AREA The SPEAKER pro tempore. Under a previous order of the House, the gentleman from Indiana (Mr. Souder) is recognized for 5 minutes. Mr. SOUDER. Madam Speaker, as a member of the Subcommittee on National Parks and Public Lands, and as a representative of historic Ft. Wayne, Indiana, I rise this evening to introduce a bill to create the Northwest Territory of the Great Lakes Heritage Area.
Back to top