Canterbury Green Golf Course 9th Hole Johnny Appleseed Memorial
There is a large memorial stone on the 9th hole of the golf course off Stonehedge Blvd. claiming Johnny Appleseed died and was buried there. Johnny Appleseed is most likely buried in Archer Cemetery across the parking lot from the Memorial Coliseum. This is discussed on our Johnny Appleseed page.
Formerly located on the west side of Wallen Road, east of the Old Auburn Road, where the Crosier House stood. Graves were moved when St. Joseph Hospital sold the land for housing developments. They are now in Section E, at the south-east corner of the Catholic Cemetery on Lake Avenue in Adams Township.
Catholic priests and brothers. Earliest date 1942. The Indiana DNR SHARD shows the former location of this cemetery on a PDF file. IN DNR Latitude 41.1606 Longitude 85.1158.
Earliest burial about 1834. No longer in use. According to old Plat Records in the Allen County Court House, there was a treaty between the United States and the Indians called The Treaty of the Wabash in 1826, giving certain lands to the Indians. The present-day golf course is on the before-mentioned land. Only 3 tombstones remain buried in the ground, one in German language.
5800 St. Joseph Road on the southeast corner of the Saint Joe and Saint Joe Center Roads, contact information and maps are in a kiosk on the east side of cemetery.
In 1846, Peter and Elizabeth Parker donated two acres for a township cemetery. Earliest date March 13, 1850. Still in use. 80 tombstones were relocated with a new sign and fencing added in 2004 to allow widening of the roads and intersection. Several newspaper articles from 1999 to at least 2004. Latitude 41.1331 Longitude 85.0986.
See a photo of long ago intersection of St. Joe Rd. and St. Joe Center Rd. with an old building (church?) and possible tombstones in background posted May 22, 2017 on Twitter by Fort Wayne Fact and ACGSI retweet.
Earliest date 1871. Not in use. DAR site states "Named after Michael Pierre, an early French settler from Bettnig, France who was interred in this cemetery in 1871. At one time there was also a log cabin that served as a church for the Pierre Settlement on the site, which was known as St. Michael’s."