Active cemeteries still accepting burials usually have an office or sign near an entrance with a contact phone number. Most cemeteries originally had a sexton who kept the records for burials, maintained the cemetery, and lived close by. A local funeral home may know if original burial records exist for inactive cemeteries. Church cemetery records may be with the church if still active or its successor. Rural cemetery burial records are sometimes kept by a longtime local business nearby such as lawn tractor business or barber shop.
The Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter NSDAR Allen County Indiana Cemetery Project made cemetery readings in 1932 that may contain information available no where else. In 1982 the Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana updated the cemetery readings that revealed many tombstones from 1932 were missing. The results were published in Cemetery Township books available on their www.acgsi.org website and at the The Genealogy Center at the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The NSDAR starting taking photographs in 2008 of every existing tombstone at over 147 cemeteries in twenty townships over several years and published them on their website stating: "there are over 165,000 photos on this web site. And transcriptions for over 219,000 people." "Member volunteers visited each cemetery and photographed each tombstone. The tombstones were then transcribed exactly as they were written. There is no other information on any person other than what is listed." They have a Master Name Index.
All known Indiana cemeteries have been surveyed by SHAARD Indiana State Historic Architectural and Archaeological Research Database (SHAARD) and whatever information was found sometimes including history, maps, and photos is on their website.
Earliest date about 1844. Scherer & Maxfield, 14520 State Road 1, south of the old cemetery and across from the New Leo cemetery has the sextant burial records. Revolutionary War Veteran William Berry is buried here. The SHAARD tombstone photo shows the DAR plague, the October 2008 NSDAR photo shows only his tombstone. The Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter NSDAR has his William Berry biography.
Earliest date March 28, 1831. No longer used. Out of sight off the road on private property. IN DNR Latitude 41.1817 Longitude 85.0472.
A stone marker for a child named Aaron D. Rinehart, died October 1, 1864, aged 2 months, 5 days, son of Andrew and Mary Rinehart was found in a city backyard. The stone had a carving of a lamb and two little footprints. The story is told in Vandals’ moving of markers hinders cemetery project by Frank Gray April 5, 2012 in The Journal Gazette newspaper article.
East bank of the Saint Joseph River, 0.3 mile south ( or is it north? see below) of Wheelock Road
No longer visible - two tombstones: 1857, 1861. Recorded directions are 0.3 mile south of Wheelock Road, Google map indicates it would be 0.2 mile north of Wheelock Road in order to be along the east bank of St. Joseph River near a large tree. In 2008 the NSDAR could not locate anything to take photos. Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana1980s reading said the markers were on the St. Joseph River bank beside a very large and old tree. If you know where the two Rhodes tombstones are located please let us know.
The name first applied to the congregation was St. Bonifacius, but this has long been changed for "St. Leo's." The church edifice at Leo was built by Fathers Benoit and Faller, in 1856, and the pastoral residence by Father Zumbuelte in 1870. Cemetery grounds were donated in 1863 by Peter Sullivan.
Earliest date October 30, 1873. There is supposed to be a large plaque in the Leo Memorial Cemetery. DAR transcriptions and photos will be included with that cemetery. Google map shows the former location on the east side of Saint Joseph River by Schwartz Road. IN DNR Latitude 41.2203 Longitude 85.0078. Area now looks like the beginning of Riverside Gardens Park with walking trails.
In January 2012 David Hiatt of Schnelker Engineering supplied these photos of the memorial stone for Graves Moved From Apostolic Christian Church Cemetery on Schwartz Road that lists 43 names. Only 2 names on the memorial have tombstones in the New Leo Memorial Cemetery. Since the road and the names in his photo are Schwartz, one would assume that is also be the correct spelling of the cemetery?
Mr. Viberg and wife are both consistent members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. The sacred edifice wherein they worship is situated on one corner of Mr. Yiberg’s farm. The lot it occupies, and cemetery grounds adjacent, he donated the society; also contributed very largely toward the building of their house of worship. He has always given liberally in support of the organization, and has continuously served as one of its officers.