Wayne Township Cemeteries

Wayne Township was organized May 31, 1824

The city of Fort Wayne covers most of this mostly suburban township.

Google maps are slow to load - wait for colored pins to show
View Allen County, Indiana Cemeteries in a larger map
Click on the green dot Wayne Township pin to see cemetery names.
Most city streets have Street Level View

Allen County Poor Farm Site

Was located near the intersection of Brooklyn Avenue and Bluffton Road. No longer exists.

Go to: Google map

Back to top

Broadway Cemetery
Now McColloch Park

Near 1701 Broadway, next to the former General Electric Complex

DAR Broadway Cemetery photo
Go to Mary Penrose DAR photos

Early plat maps indicate two cemeteries; (1) The Public Cemetery and (2) the first burial site of Saint Johannes Lutheran Church. History books indicate many bodies were removed from the Public Site when Lindenwood Cemetery opened in 1860.

The only body marked and thought to remain was Samuel Bigger the 7th Governor of Indiana, from 1840 to 1843. He died September 9, 1845 and his next of kin could not be contacted for permission to move his body.

In 2016 for the Indiana Bicentennial, the local DAR and Indiana Bicentennial Commission Legacy Project added a marker for William Polke. Headstone dedicated to IN delegate from 1816 with video by WANE staff reports published November 12, 2016 on WANE-TV NewsChannel 15. State founder gets marker Burial site of man that signed Indiana Constitution located in McCulloch Park by Sherry Slater with photos published November 13, 2016 in The Journal Gazette newspaper.

This was discussed February 9, 2016 on the ACGSI Facebook page.

In 2016, State Archivist Jim Corridan confirmed William Polke, born in 1775 Virginia, died in 1843 Fort Wayne, one of 43 men who wrote the Indiana State Constitution in 1816, remains are also buried here, even though other remains were moved in 1860. A public memorial event for the Indiana Bicentennial on June 27, 2016 had a keynote address by Indiana Senate President Pro-Term David Long honoring his service founding Indiana. See Bicentennial salute for early bigwig published June 13, 2016 in The Journal Gazette newspaper.

McCulloch Park’s past It used to be Broadway Cemetary by Tom Castaldi, local historian, published April 14, 2017 in Fort Wayne.com.

Several mausoleum stones were put into the river to shore up the bank after they were demolished when bodies were moved from what is now McCulloch Park to the then newly opened Lindenwood Cemetery, according to Sweet Breeze canal boat tour guide Dan Wire. Copied from Canal boat offers up-close view of pre-developed riverfront by Lisa Esquivel Long published July 23, 2017 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.

Go to: Broadway Cemetery formerly McCulloch Park - Final Resting Place for Samuel Bigger on Child of the Fort blog, DAR tombstone photos, Find-A-Grave, or Google map

Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception Crypt

Located below the Cathedral of Immaculate Conception on Cathedral Square at Calhoun, Jefferson, Lewis, and Clinton Streets.

DAR Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception Crypt photo
Go to Mary Penrose DAR photos

The cornerstone laid June 19, 1859, and dedicated December 8, 1860. The persons who have the right to burial in the Crypt are Bishops of the Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese.

Go to: DAR crypt transcriptions

Discussed August 8, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Closed group on Facebook

Back to top

Cathedral Square Cemetery

Bounded by Calhoun, Jefferson, Lewis and Clinton Streets.

DAR Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception Crypt photo
Go to Mary Penrose DAR photos

In 1830-31 Father Stephen Badin assisted Catholics of the area in purchasing a large part of what is now known as Cathedral Square. In 1857, Father Benoit laid plans to build a Cathedral. The Cathedral was built over the site of the Miami Indian burial grounds. Richardville, Chief of the Miami Indian's, DAR marker is located here facing Calhoun Street. IN DNR Latitude 41.0756 Longitude 85.1367.

DAR page says All of the remains were removed from the Cathedral Square Cemetery and are now located in the Catholic Cemetery, Adams Township. It is not known for sure if Richardville's remains were moved. There is however a tombstone in the Catholic Cemetery in Adams Township. This stone is located in section B of the cemetery.

Go to: DAR photosor Google map

Back to top Back to top

Fort Wayne Military Post Cemetery

DAR page says no longer exists. Actual location of the Fort Wayne Post Cemetery is unknown. Some evidence indicates that it was located near the intersection of Main and Lafayette Streets where one of the original forts is marked by a Wishing Well Memorial.

Go to: Google map

Hertwig (Hartwig) Cemetery

DAR says a marker was once located on an alley, off Leith Street, between Harrison Street and Hoagland Avenue, with the above name. No information could be found regarding this in 1981. Google map puts near 344 W. Leith Street. If you know anything about this cemetery please Contact Allen INGenWeb.

Go to: Google map

Back to top

Indian Graves

Indian bones West Wayne Street
November 23, 1899 Fort Wayne News newspaper

We have a section on Indian Burial Grounds discussing this newspaper article.

These Indian Graves were discussed April 2, 2013 on the original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook., but the discussion moved or was deleted?

Lindenwood Cemetery

2324 West Main Street, Fort Wayne, Indiana, 260.432.4542, cemetery web site

Lindenwood Cemetery ca. 1920 is used with permission by Randy Harter, Fort Wayne historian, author, and the history/architecture guide for FortWayneFoodTours.com published February 21, 2017 with photo in Fort Wayne Reader.

The city fathers determined in 1859 that the Broadway or “City” Cemetery which had been developed in 1837 was too small to continue serving the growing community’s needs and that a larger non-sectarian cemetery was required for our city of then 10,000 people. As a result, twelve leading citizens purchased the initial 152 acres of virgin forest, marsh, and scrub and named it Lindenwood Cemetery due to all the Linden trees that then occupied the property.

When the development of Lindenwood was ready to commence, John H. Dowsell was appointed the superintendent and supervising landscape architect. He designed the cemetery in the style of the 18th century English “picturesque” tradition with rolling hills, sunken gardens, water features, grottos, and expansive vistas giving the cemetery an idealized picture like quality.

The first burial took place in 1860 and also beginning that year, and ending in 1886, the deceased from the old Broadway cemetery were disinterred and reburied at Lindenwood except the remains of the state’s seventh governor, Samual Bigger as no family members we available to approve the move. In addition, as no one was sure where his grave was located, William Polke, one of the 43 delegates from the Indiana Territory to the 1816 Indiana Constitutional Convention was also left behind, and was finally rediscovered and given a headstone as part of Allen County’s Indiana Bicentennial activities last year. In 1886 the old Broadway Cemetery was then donated to the city by Hugh and Susan McCulloch for use as a public park, and thus became McCulloch Park. It’s considered likely that in additional remains still lie below the grassy park surface in unmarked graves.

Until the late 1870’s the Wabash & Erie Canal ran parallel and along the south side of the section of West Main that is across from the cemetery. This necessitated a swing bridge being constructed across the canal east of the cemetery to allow access for funerals and visitors from the city.

A walk through Lindenwood today is to see a list of familiar city streets and parks as the interred include such last names as those of Capt. Asa Fairfield, William Pettit, Jr., Laura Suttenfield, David Foster, John Franke, Samuel Hanna, Pliny Hoagland, William Pettit, Henry Rudisill, William Rockhill, Col. Thomas Swinney, Theodore Thieme, Judge William Vesey, Jesse Williams, David Colerick, Joseph Nuttman, Samuel Edsall, Col. George Ewing, Joseph Brackenridge, Fred Eckart, Olaf Guldlin, and Allen Hamilton among the over 72,000 other interred deceased.

The Lindenwood office offers a free book The Lindenwood Story about the history and famous people buried there shown below on the Internet Archive. It has many photos and details such as the antique wrought iron fence was erected in 1884 from the main office along Main Street to the west. The original fence contract was let to Seward and Company, Bloomington, Indiana, calling for 1,711 linear feet, costing $2,566. Another 704 linear feet was added in 1933 along Lindenwood Avenue, costing $1,091, and it was built by Bass Foundry & Machine Company.

The Lindenwood Story - Originally published in book form in 1979, and previously in Old Fort news, v. 24, no. 3 (1979) on Internet Archive.

Lindenwood Cemetery Records from April 1896-December 1917; Contributor Lindenwood Cemetery and Fort Wayne Genealogical Society; scanning by the Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana for Internet Archive.

Lindenwood Cemetery Internment Records Volume January 1918-March 1934
Publication date 1918; Collection allencountygenealogicalsocietyofindiana

Back to top

Lindenwood Cemetery photo
Go to Mary Penrose DAR photos

Founded in 1859 - see IndianaHistory.org article, dedicated in 1860. Modern cemetery still in use. IN DNR Latitude 41.08 Longitude 85.1758.

Go to: ACPL Name Index, DAR tombstone photos, Find-A-Grave, Google map, Grave Book on Facebook has location photos, or Internet Archive January 1918-March 1934 Cemetery Internment Records Volume.

  1. Lindenwood cemetery, 1864, Includes articles of association, rules & regulations, history and names of lot owners an Archive.org ebook.
  2. Lindenwood cemetery: articles of association, rules and regulations adopted, 1885 .. - Lindenwood Cemetery (Fort Wayne, Ind.) an Archive.org ebook.
  3. Lindenwood Cemetery Crematorium built in 1895, first cremation in 1897 from The Lindenwood Story: 1860-1979 reprinted 1995, by Arthur M. Paulison, history posted October 19, 2014 by Daniel Baker - Photographer on Facebook with a 2014 photo.
    1. The Lindenwood Crematory, Circa 1898 and 2018: The modern cremation movement had a slow start in the United States in the 1870s. It took several Fort Wayne businessmen five years to persuade the Lindenwood Cemetery association that a crematory was not only beneficial, but would put the city in the prestigious company of larger metropolises like Chicago and Boston. In 1895, architectural firm Wing & Mahurin was tasked with designing the limestone Romanesque building. The contract was signed in August and Indiana’s first crematory was completed three months later. On July 1, 1897, John Powers became the first person in Indiana to be cremated. Despite the success, cremation would not be widely accepted until the late 20th Century. In 1974, the crematory was renamed the Chapel of the Woods after an extensive remodeling. Over the following years, cremations were transitioned to more modern facilities offsite and, today, the old crematory serves only as a chapel. Copied from an October 21, 2018 post by Daniel Baker with 1898 and 2018 photos on his new book Fort Wayne Through Time co-authored with Randy Harter, Fort Wayne historian, author, and the history/architecture guide for FortWayneFoodTours.com on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Closed group on Facebook.
  4. Lindenwood Cemetery Records (Volume yr.1896-1917) - Lindenwood Cemetery, Cemetery records from April 1896-December 1917 an Archive.org ebook.
  5. A Walk in the Park by Eric Olson, 21Country Featured Reporterpublished May 9, 2017.
  6. Photo of a Memorial Day Parade entering Lindenwood Cemetery, c. 1900 posted May 25, 2015 by Visit Fort Wayne on Facebook.
  7. Legends of Lindenwood published in the May 17-19, 2002 The Journal Gazette newspaper Weekender discussed the Dearly Departed tour.
  8. Dearly Departed 2013 - cemetery tour sponsored by ARCH and The History Center see photos on Facebook.
  9. Dearly Departed 2014 discusses the 15 men on the October 4, 2014 ARCH ( Architecture and Community Heritage)cemetery tour by Nancy McCammon-Hansen published October 2, 2014 in History Center Notes & Queries blog.
  10. History of Lindenwood by owner Dignity Memorial.
  11. Our Infamous Burials page includes Homer Van Meter the driver for John Dillinger the bank robber buried here in Lindenwood.
  12. U.S. Register of Historic Places added in 1978 - #78000043. See photo of February 17, 1978 plaque on Dearly Departed 2013 tour above.
  13. Pioneers Resting in Historic Lindenwood a 62 page Internet Archive ebook, shown below, was written in 1973 by Fred J. Reynolds Head Librarian at the Allen County Public Library.
  14. Memorial City the Lindenwood chronicles PBS 39 TV 2001 documentary at the Allen County Public Library.
  15. Grave secrets Old cemeteries offer history lesson, scenic views July 19, 2009 by Devon Haynie of The Journal Gazette newspaper.
  16. Lindenwood Cemetery at 150 May 26, 2010 by John Beatty on the History Center Notes & Queries blog.
  17. HISTORIC LINDENWOOD CEMETERY January 4, 2013 by John Beatty on the FGS Conference News blog (Federation of Genealogical Societies).
  18. Allen County Community Album has a number of photos of the elaborate gardens that made the cemetery a travel destination 100 years ago.
  19. 20 Famous Burial locations and tombstone photos from Find-A-Grave
  20. Politicians buried here from Political Graveyard.
  21. Wikimedia has some information.
  22. February 22, 2017 1920 photo and discussion by Randy Harter, Fort Wayne historian, author, and the history/architecture guide for FortWayneFoodTours.comon You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Closed group on Facebook.

Videos

Historic Cemetery Turns 150 This Month 2 minute video by Eric Olson published January 18, 2010 of WPTA21 ABC TV station

Lindenwood Cemetery Celebrates 150th Anniversary 2 minute video by Megan Trent published June 18, 2010 of WPTA21 ABC TV station

Back to top

The Lindenwood Cemetery rules, regulations, etc., Fort Wayne, Indiana - 1914 on Internet Archive.

Lindenwood cemetery: articles of association, rules and regulations adopted, 1885 .. on Internet Archive.

This is the 172 page Pioneers resting in historic Lindenwood 1989 edition by Paulison, Arthur Marion, 1905-1989, there is also his 58 page 1973 edition on Internet Archive.

Back to top

Lawton Place
aka Little Turtle Site

634 Lawton Place in the Spy Run Neighborhood near the St. Joe River

DAR Little Turtle Cemetery photo
Go to Mary Penrose DAR photos

Burial date 1812. Wikipedia has information on Little Turtle Chief of the Miami Indians. IN DNR Latitude 41.0914 Longitude 85.1323.

Go to: DAR tombstone photos, Find-A-Grave, or Google map

The local Historical Society placed two plaques at the site when it was made into a small park in 1959/60. See Little Turtle Memorial at City of Fort Wayne Parks & Recreation. Local WFFT TV posted UPDATE: Little Turtle Memorial Park August 13, 2014 on vandalism and maintenance issues.

Back to top

Fort Wayne Jewish
aka Orthodox Jewish Cemetery

5800 Old Decatur Road, between Paulding and Tillman Roads

Private. Founded 1912. Mostly Russian Jews. There is a section of Lindenwood Cemetery that has a Jewish section, mostly German Jews. IN DNR Latitude 41.0261 Longitude 85.1233.

Fort Wayne Jewish Cemetery vandalized 55 gravestones knocked over by Ellie Bogue published February 2, 2016 on The News-Sentinel newspaper. Jewish Cemetery struck by vandals Sixty tombstones knocked over. One broken in half and destroyed. Several others severely damaged.  by Jeff Wiehe published February 3, 2016 in The Journal Gazette newspaper. Services donated to reset headstones vandalized at Fort Wayne Jewish Cemetery by News-Sentinel Staff published April 13, 2016 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.

Go to: DAR tombstone photos, Find-A-Grave, or Google map

Back to top

Prairie Grove Cemetery

6312 Old Trail Road, near the intersection of the Bluffton Road next to the Prairie Grove Chapel. 260.747.4070

Prairie Grove Cemetery photo
Go to Mary Penrose DAR photos

Public. Earliest burial August 1834. Still in use. IN DNR Latitude 41.0269 Longitude 85.1711.

260-747-4070 is the phone number for the Prairie Grove Cemetery Association for additional lot number and burial information. The association was organized April 11, 1907 according to the Prarie Grove Church and Cemetery by Ed Noble published February 18, 2004 in the Looking Back at Waynedale History in theWaynedale News.com.

  1. Waynedale Cemetery, Kensington Boulevard area seeking ‘historic’ designations by Kevin Leininger published January 29, 2019 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.
  2. theWaynedale News.com has several online articles some with photos on this chapel and cemetery.
  3. CHRISTMAS SERVICES AT PRAIRIE GROVE CHAPEL published December 8, 2017.
  4. FIND YOUR NICHE IN PRAIRIE GROVE CEMETERY published November 22, 2013.
  5. PRAIRIE GROVE CHAPEL published July 22, 2009.
  6. PRAIRIE GROVE CHAPEL published December 3, 2008.
  7. PRAIRIE GROVE CHAPEL SEEKS HISTORIC DESIGNATION by Alex Cornwell published March 1, 2019

Go to: ACGSI Section Maps to find the exact location, ACPL Index, DAR tombstone photos, Find-A-Grave, or Google map

Saint John Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery

2507 Engle Road, 260.426.5751

DAR Saint Johns Lutheran Cemetery photo
Go to Mary Penrose DAR photos

Still in use. Forty acres purchased in August 1872, as a result of court action, closing the second cemetery located on Maple Avenue, near the Saint Mary's River. This is the third cemetery of the Saint John Evangelical Lutheran Congregation according to their St. John Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery history WordPress blog and History and Headstones: Celebrating Memorial Day in the May 22, 2012 History Center Notes & Queries blog. IN DNR Latitude 41.0433 Longitude 85.1733. They list over 3,885 names in their online Cemetery Directory.

Go to: ACPL Index, DAR tombstone photos, Find-A-Grave, or Google map

Back to top

Page updated: March 9, 2019