Earliest date was 1867. No longer exists. Was located on Aboite Center Road. The rural family cemetery was transferred March 12, 1895 to Lindenwood Cemetery from the family farm according to the Klaehn Mortuary records. Indiana DNR location lists in Section 17, Township 30N, and Range 11E.
Turner Family Cemetery
Earliest date was 1834.
Only one stone is visible, one shared by Richard and Caleb Clark shown laying on the ground in the photo by Glenn Rogers on the right. This first cemetery of Aboite is on land donated in 1834 by Enoch Turner and the space alloted for internment was nearly all occupied according to the second to last paragraph on page 145 of the History of Allen County, Indiana published in 1880, Chicago; Kingman Brothers shown below. The first white settlers, names like Andrew, Clark, Gouty, Kelley, and Turner, originated from the state of Maryland. This area of Aboite, once the land of the Miami Indians, was therefore deemed the Maryland Settlement which is discussed on page 284 in Valley of the upper Maumee River, with historical account of Allen County and the city of Fort Wayne, Indiana published in 1889. In 1842, these settlers erected a log building to serve the double purpose of Aboite's first church and schoolhouse. This structure, called the Friendship Church and School was built on land next to the cemetery.
The burial ground is now located in the Bittersweet Moors housing development. The Indiana DNR SHAARD Cemetery Registry lists the cemetery location as 11780 Indigo Drive in Section 28, Township 30N, Range 11E, with GPS Latitude: 41.0230, Longitude: 85.2965 which describes the 160-acre parcel that Enoch Turner purchased from the General Land Office of the United States on 2 September 1834.
If you know what happened to the tombstones please let us know.