Was located on Parrott Road about two miles west of New Haven.
In August 1981 at an excavation site on the Parrott Road, about two miles west of New Haven, workers excavating sand to fill ditches for a sewer project found a graveyard that had not been used for more than 100 years. The Adams Township Trustee said he had no records on a graveyard there.
This abandoned cemetery is behind the AEP substation west of Estella Avenue, south of Old Maumee Road in New Haven, near the railroad tracks.
The 1898 Atlas shows it in the southwest corner of the northeast quarter of section 9 along the railroad tracks near the railroad tracks, west of Estella Avenue, south of Old Maumee Road. First burial date is September 10, 1861. The NSDAR states on their web page: This cemetery is no longer in use. The cemetery had been abandoned and could not be located when the Allen County Genealogical Society did cemetery readings in the 1980’s. In the fall of 2008 AEP contracted to have the right-away behind the substation cleared and the stones were rediscovered. The cemetery was photographed and transcribed in October of 2008. Since that time it has been reported that the stones have been stolen.
3500 Lake Avenue, Fort Wayne, Indiana 46805-5572 Phone: 260.426.2044, Fax: 260.422.7418, their web site
Traditionally called the Campo Santo, God's Acre, and the Reliquary of Saints. Modern cemetery office on west side of 175 acre cemetery operated by the Catholic Cemetery Association. There were around 29,000 graves in 2008. The original Catholic Cemetery was on Cathedral Square in downtown Fort Wayne. A larger cemetery was then located on Swinney Avenue and Wall Street. After only 29 years the need arose for another larger location. In 1872, Bishop Joseph Dwenger purchased 120 acres, on Maysville Road one mile outside the city limits of Fort Wayne. Today it is called Lake Avenue. The bodies were removed from the other township cemeteries into the present location. The cemetery was then opened for interments in 1873. The Old Catholic Cemetery with maps is discussed on our ACGSI.org site. It includes a newspaper article titled Bones discovered under Superior Essex parking lot.
This is a large modern cemetery. The Resurrection Masusoleum, dedicated by Bishop Herman J. Alerding on All Souls' Day in 1918 is the oldest Catholic mausoleum in the United States and was designed by noted Fort Wayne architect Charles Weatherhogg. Notable burials included Miami Indian Chief John B. Richardville; Fort Wayne founding father Francis A. Comparet; Red Carrington, Fort Wayne's Mr. Baseball; sports promoter Gunner Elliott; Walter Rommel, mechanic to Germany's Red Baron; and Don Hall, founder of the city's restaurant chain.
The Cemetery staff also takes care of Saint Leo Catholic Cemetery in Leo, Indiana, and Saint Michael Catholic Cemetery at Pierr Settlement off St. Joe Center Road in the far Northeast corner of Fort Wayne. From the Catholic Cemetery History page.
The old Catholic cemetery was in service from about 1849 until 1873 on land that is now Swinney Addition. See maps and newspaper articles, including a 2002 newspaper article when bones were found under the Superior Essex parking lot on the Old Catholic Cemetery Fort Wayne, Indiana page on the ACGSIweb site.
That was our home about Steve Butler who grew up in a home where the mausoleum now stands by Rosa Salter Rodriquez published October 30, 2008 in The Journal Gazette newspaper. An Allen County Public Library account is needed to read this article online through the ProQuest web site.
Started by St. Paul's Lutheran Congregation. Earliest date is 1834, possibly moved from another location when this cemetery opened up for internments in 1850. Still in use. IN DNR Latitude 41.0771 Longitude 85.1131.
Was located on Lake Avenue near its intersection with North River Road. No longer exists, no records. Google map shows the general location. If you know where it was located or have any other information, please Contact Allen INGenWeb.
German Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery
aka St. Peter Evangelical Lutheran
Southside of Fort Wayne on northwest corner of Hartzell and Paulding Roads, Ohio Synod
The church property was purchased March 5, 1860 and recorded March 29, 1860 in Allen County Deed Book Y, pages 271-272. Unknown when the church was abandoned, but they did sell their school property in 1870.
From Allen Franz of rural Monroeville in an August 30, 2009 email
Cemetery, no longer exists, nor found on the 1898 Atlas. Thought to be located either on the southeast corner of U.S. 30 and Green Road, currently a gas station across from New Haven High School. Or could have been located at the southwest corner, which is why the EACS Administration building is set off to the west of the intersection. Google map shows the general location. If you know what happened to the burials or have a map that shows the cemetery location, please Contact Allen INGenWeb.
Rural cemetery southeast side of Fort Wayne, west of New Haven, south side near 5150 Moeller Road, 500 feet east of Meyer Road, east of the original Martini Lutheran Church which is now the Harvest Church of God.
Still in use. Early German settlers established in 1853. IN DNR Latitude 41.0537 Longitude 85.0727.
South side of Old Maysville Road between Lake Avenue and Reed Road by the apartments, northeast side of Fort Wayne
Earliest date 1852. No longer used and no records. By 1979 only one tombstone of the eight known burials, from the 1932 DAR cemetery reading, remains for Margaret and Nathan Tilbury. IN DNR Latitude 41.0901 Longitude 85.0788.
In the March 2013 Allen County Lines newsletter of the Allen County Genealogical Society of Indianaon page 65-66, Kathryn Bloom researched Nathan's family discovering he was a Civil War veteran with several children in his family. John Tilbury owned a 110 acre farm purchased in 1833. The Tilbury Farm at 1928 Reed Road in 1996 was designated by ARCH ( Architecture and Community Heritage)a Fort Wayne Local Historic District.
Southeast side of Fort Wayne, was located on the H. J. Hoevel land on the east side of Hessen Cassel Road, half way between Hoevel Road, now McKinnie Road, and Paulding Road shown on the 1898 Atlas of Adams Township in the NW corner of the SW Quarter of Section 20 (thanks to Mike Fromholt). 4 tombstones were in German. Earliest date April 24, 1842. No longer exists, no records.