free genealogy since 1996
Allen County, Indiana Genealogy
V Named Places in Allen County, Indiana
Vandolah Nature Preserve
James and Rebecca Vandolah moved to the area in 1837, raising a large family on the homestead. The property remained in the family for four generations before the Vandolahs’ great-grandson, (Charles) Byron “Barney” Stellhorn, gifted the land to ACRES. Copied from Vandolah Nature Preserve at ACRES Land Trust. See Vandolah Family. An October 25, 2022 discussion on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook. Vandolah Nature Preserve at the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.
VA, Veterans Hospital
More than 5,000 people came out for dedication ceremonies May 14, 1950, for the Veterans Administration Hospital at the corner of Lake Avenue and Randallia Drive. Speakers at the event included Maj. Gen. Carl R. Gray Jr., administrator of veterans affairs in Washington, D.C. “It is an abiding obligation that we must never lose sight of, that this hospital shall ever be devoted to the service of those men and women who offered themselves to the nation in her time of distress,” he said in his address, according to a story in The Journal Gazette the next day.VA Hospital dedicated in 1950 by Corey McMaken published March 31, 2022 in The Journal Gazette newspaper.
Van Orman Hotel
January 13, 1974 demolition profiled with images in Death of a Landmark in the February 1, 1974 the Dispatch on Wayne High School News in the ACPL Digital Collections, crowd photo and discussion posted March 12, 2014 on Vintage Fort Wayne closed group on Facebook, then shared December 13, 2017 and the Dispatch discussed April 18, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook. 1974: Explosive demolitions of Van Orman, Keenan hotels by Corey McMaken published July 25, 2019 in The Journal Gazette newspaper.
August 18, 2009 IPFW Dedicates New Pedestrian Bridge on IPFW.edu. See photos of The Ron Venderly Family Pedestrian Bridge by American Galvanizers Association.
Was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on December 6, 2005 and nominated December 12, 2004 for Indiana Register of Historic Places with its history on the nomation request. Built in 1839 by Jesse and Maria Vermilyea, deemed the most luxurious in the township and the center of social life in the settlement. It was an inn to canal travelers and a post office with Jesse Vermilyea as postmaster. An extensive history of the house and area begins on page 12 of the Vermilyea Family Places document by Carl Paker Vermilyea written in 2009. The Vermilyea Inn Historic District on Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopediahad the links to most of this information. The Vermilyea House web site, see Vermilyea House a return to splendor 25 page booklet by Thomas E. Castalidi published May 21, 2004 by ARCH ( Architecture and Community Heritage).
Founded in Fort Wayne in 1982 makes handbags, purses, totes, luggage, stationary and accessories. www.verabradley.com, Facebook. Has a popular multil-day every April Vera Bradley Annual Sale from Visit Fort Wayne.
Co-founder Barbara Bradley Baekgaard collaboratively designed The Bradley Hotel with Vera Bradley and Provenance, known for its collection of award-winning boutique hotels.
Visit Fort Wayne
The Fort Wayne/Allen County Convention and Visitors Bureau, is the nonprofit organization whose purpose is to expand Fort Wayne's economy by attracting convention and leisure visitors. Has many blog posts about things to do in Fort Wayne.
927 South Harrison Street
Fort Wayne, Indiana 46802
Phone: (260) 424-3700
Toll-free: (800) 767-7752
Torn down after Vodermark Addition was built in the Pittsburg and Dubois area from May 24, 2013 post formerly onthe original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook.
Back to top