815 W. Creighton has been a home to a "giant" in Fort Wayne history and a home to "little people" who were internationally renowned on the stage. Captain Asa Fairfield came to Fort Wayne from Maine in 1833 with a princely sum of $30,000. He would eventually purchase the land and build this house. In 1880, Charles Nestel purchased the home. His son Charles and daughter Eliza, who were little people, traveled the United States and Europe as "Commodore Foote" and the "Fairy Queen".
Once home to wealth and fame, it had been marked for demolition. A column by Kevin Leininger published May 5, 2007 in The News-Sentinel newspaperreprinted on the web page Colorful past wins house a reprieve. on the website Munson, Underwood, Horn, Fairfield and Allied Families.
Will third time prove the charm for efforts to save colorfully historic house? Creighton Avenue house was once home to canal captain, world-famous dwarfs by Kevin Leininger published April 16, 2013 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.
Great Depression-era memories recall another use of Fairfield-Nestel House It served for about 10 years as a hospital for the ill, elderly and disabled. 815 W. Creighton Ave. — it served from about 1923 to 1933 as Anthony Wayne Hospital for Old People and Invalids. The research findings also provide a glimpse of what appeared to have been a difficult life for the hospital's matron, Anna F. Lepper. Much more in the article with no author listed, published July 20, 2017 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.
19 photos and some history of the home were posted July 11, 2018 by Dan Baker on Facebook.
Fairfield Manor Image 1927.
This article was written for and is courtesy of Fort Wayne Reader newspaper.
Olaf Nikolaus Guldlin, the president of the Fairfield Manor Realty Co., had been the founder in 1888 of the successful Western Gas Construction Company on Winter Street in Fort Wayne. Western Gas manufactured and constructed large gas producing plants for cities throughout the country that did not yet have natural gas piped to them. Guldlin and his investors sold Western Gas to the Koppers Corp. of Pittsburgh, PA in January of 1921.
Eleven months later, in December of 1921, his announcement of the proposed construction of the city’s first suburban high-rise luxury apartment building, at a cost of $750,000., was heralded in The Fort Wayne Sentinel. However, it would be another seven years before the building at 2301 Fairfield at Creighton Avenues would actually be completed in January of 1928. Part of the reason for this was that the area surrounding the project was an upper class neighborhood of opulent homes and there was significant opposition from nearby residents to the building. Interestingly, the Guldlin’s own grand residence was across the street (southwest corner) at 2306 Fairfield. A Speedway gas station now sits on part of the property that was his former home.
Utilizing a combination of Craftsman and Classic elements, Fairfield Manor was designed by at that time, the city’s most prominent architect, Charles R. Weatherhogg. Today, nearly 90 years later, the well maintained seven story building remains much the same and has 70 studio, one, two bedroom and larger custom apartments. At the time the building was completed, the rents were as follows: three-room apartment, $77.50; four-room, $105.00; and five-room at $124.00 per month. The apartments included gas ranges, electric refrigerators, and each was furnished with a “Murphy” bed that pivoted out of the wall.
The ground floor included a ladies reception room, lounge and card room, café-tea room, banquet room, large main kitchen, and a beauty shop. The building was originally to have a roof-top garden, and a putting green south of the parking lot, however in the end neither were incorporated. The building’s primary entrance still today features the original elaborate bronze and glass portico, and the interior public area showcases 1928’s marble baseboards, mixed mosaic and terrazzo floors, walnut wood panels and trim.
For most in Fort Wayne today, the name Guldlin isn’t associated with Olaf Guldlin, Western Gas Construction Co., or even the Fairfield Manor, but rather his wife Addie Guldlin. Mrs. Guldlin was an early civic activist and an advocate of safe playgrounds for children. Addie raised funds for the city’s first public playground, which under her direction was elaborately constructed with separate boys’ and girls’ swings, see-saws, sandboxes and wading pools on a six-acre site on Van Buren at the St. Mary’s River. Dedicated in 1911, the park was named in her honor. Sadly, two years later during Fort Wayne’s infamous 1913 Flood, much of the playground was washed away and is today an empty field, still called Guldlin Park.
Formerly Berghoff Brewing at 1019 Grant Avenue. Fort Wayne operations started on April 12, 1954, when Falstaff bought the Berghoff Brewing Company. The corporation also brewed in St. Louis, New Orleans, Galveston, El Paso, Omaha, San Jose, San Antonio and San Francisco. The Falstaff Corporation was bought by Paul Kalmanovitz's brewing conglomerate, General Brewing, in 1975. At that time it made 1.2 million barrels annually at the Fort Wayne plant. Headquarters was moved to Fort Wayne in 1977. After the 1990 closing of the last Falstaff brewery in Fort Wayne, the brand name became a licensed property of Pabst, which continued to produce Falstaff Beer through other breweries. Having sold only 1468 barrels of the brand in 2004, Pabst discontinued production of the Falstaff label in May 2005. Copied from A look into Fort Wayne beer history by Jaclyn Goldsborough published December 26, 2013 in The News-Sentinel newspaper. Storage tanks were eventually sold to a brewery in China. Falstaff Brewery Closing In Ft. Wayne published November 09, 1989 in the Chicago Tribune.
Farnsworth TV and Radio Corporation
Opened for business on March 14, 1939 as Capehart-Farnsworth in Fort Wayne. The company produced radios, phonographs, and television equipment. See extensive information on Philo T. Farnsworth.
Old Federal Building
Located at the southeast corner of Berry and Clinton Streets which housed the Post Office and Federal Courtroom. Built in 1889 and razed in 1938, it was replaced by the new Federal Building on Harrison Street in 1932. A Fort Wayne Through Time Leftovers: The book, Fort Wayne Through Time, that photographer Dan Baker posted May 25, 2018 on his Facebook page and Randy Harter, Fort Wayne historian and author, posted May 24, 2018 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
Founded: 1882, Location: East Berry Street, Fort Wayne (1882– ); 23 East Columbia Street (1887); 125 Calhoun Street (1893, 1899); 1005 Clinton Street ( –1903); 1007 Calhoun Street (1903– 6); 130-132 West Columbia Street (1906–14); 118–122 West Columbia Street (1914– ); 4115 Paper Place (1971, 1995); 4415 Hartman Road (1996– ) In 1882 Samuel S. Fisher purchased the interest of Meyer L. Graff in the Webb & Graff paper firm in Fort Wayne. Samuel was the son of Isaac Fisher, a German-Jewish immigrant butcher, and he worked in his father’s meat market as a young man. After his initial investment, Samuel Fisher rapidly assumed control of Webb & Graff. In March 1882 he bought out A. M. Webb and less than two months later purchased the interest of Harry Graff. Samuel’s brother Max B. Fisher then joined him in the business, which was located on East Berry Street. Read more on Fisher Bros. Paper Company on IndianaHistory.org.
Five way intersection at Sherman and Goshen Roads south of the Children's Zoo. Discussed March 16, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook. Two 1920s service stations at the Five Points intersection on the Lincoln Highway were discussed in Historic Filling Stations Find New Life The well-designed filling stations of the early twentieth century prove ideal for adaptive reuse, while still reminding us of our automotive past posted August 16, 2018 by Indiana Landmarks. The stations are a 1926 Colonial Revival-style station 2624 Sherman Street used as a bait shop and 1927 Tudor Revival-style filling station used as a real estate office. The bait shop was razed May 29, 2019 so the intersection can be re-engineered into a round-about intersection. See demolition photo in the article Goodbye, North Side Bait and Tackle by Lisa Esquivel Long published May 29, 2019 on FWBusiness.com. 1934 photo posted May 4 2019 by Indiana Lincoln Highway Association on Facebook.
The Flick House was built in 1897 in what is now the Broad River Neighborhood Association - Fort Wayne. The Flick family made their living as florists in the area. The family operated multiple locations including one in Broad River and one downtown. The building downtown was purchased in 1923 for $210,000 which was a huge sum at the time. The location eventually became the Ash Skyline Plaza owned by Ash Brokerage. This information was copied from photos posted June 21, 2020 in a Facebook post by Historic 07 District - Fort Wayne with additional photos in the comments by a Flick descendant on a Shared post of the orginal Facebook post.
Flood of 1982
Brought President Ronald Reagan to Fort Wayne where he threw a couple of sand bags for national photo ops. See 1982 Timeline.
Hope Methodist Hospital was located on the corner of Lewis and Harrison Streets from 1917-1953 on the south side of the conservatory block. The conservatory opened in 1983, was named in honor of News-Sentinel publisher Helene Foellinger and Frank Freimann, president of Magnavox. "Surround yourself with nature at the Foellinger-Freimann Botanical Conservatory ~ an oasis in the heart of downtown Fort Wayne Indiana. Visit the Showcase Garden with its lush seasonal displays, wander through the Tropical Garden where orchids and palms thrive in the shadows of a cascading waterfall, or retreat to the quiet beauty of the Desert Garden." Fort Wayne’s Botanical Conservatory a Breath of Fresh Air on Visit Fort Wayne blog.
Buildings of the Fort Wayne Campus by FW Alumni Center published June 16, 2014 on YouTube This video is review of the Buildings of the Fort Wayne Campus of Fort Wayne Bible Training School/Fort Wayne Bible Institute/Fort Wayne Bible College/Summit Christian College and Taylor University Fort Wayne-five names for one institution. The dates given with the images are when the buildings were occupied, not when building was started.
The former box company built in 1904 was located on the northwest corner of Superior and Calhoun Streets. It produced cardboard art and business calendars, wood and glass souvenirs, leather goods, signs, and novelties. In 1910 the company bought out the Fort Wayne Engraving Company and moved its operations into the building. Graphic Packaging was the last owner to utilize the building before closing it in 2010. It is currently being converted into apartments called the Superior Lofts. Copied from Superior Lofts History and an overlayed photo ca. 1913 and 2017 posted September 19, 2018 by Daniel Baker on Facebook.
Designed by Alvin M. Strauss. Ca. 1975 discussed May 26, 2017 by Randy Harter, Fort Wayne historian and author, on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook. A 40-year-old landmark in downtown Fort Wayne officially starts an important new mission with a new name. The City-County Building served as the home for the administrative offices of City and County governments for the past 40 years. Edwin J. Rousseau spent 40 years in Allen County and Fort Wayne politics, including terms on the Fort Wayne City Council, Allen County Council and the County Board of Commissioners. He passed away in 2009 at the age of 76. After many of those offices moved to Citizens Square last year, the building was renovated to serve as headquarters for City and County police and the City fire department. Several County government offices will remain in the Rousseau Centre — including the assessor, auditor, recorder, treasurer and veterans services. Paraphrased from City-County Building Officially Becomes Rousseau Centre created April 23, 2012 on Allen County Government.
Aka Indiana School for Feeble Minded Youth. Indiana’s second oldest mental health facility opened in 1879 at Knightstown. It was relocated to Fort Wayne in 1890. The first patient admitted that year was an eleven year old boy from Ossian, Wells County. It served mentally retarded children from throughout Indiana until 1939, when its service area was reduced to the northern half of the state. Its mission was expanded to include patients of all ages with other developmental disabilities. Before closure in 2007 the facility had admitted 12162 patients. The center’s admission registers, card index, and a nearly complete set of medical records on microfilm, are at the Indiana State Archives. Copied from Other Indiana Hospitals for the Mentally Ill and Developmentally Disabled at the Indiana Archives.
At Richmond, between 1887 and 1890, three of the completed buildings were occupied by "The School for Feeble Minded Youth." In 1890, these patients were transferred to what is now known as the "Fort Wayne Developmental Center." The buildings were refurbished and the hospital formally opened on July 29, 1890, with the first patient admitted on August 4, 1890. copied from Family and Social Services Administration on IN.gov.
Jerry Henry, son of social worker Jerome Henry, who lived in an old farm house on the school property in the 1950s-60s recalls growing up near the school and the cemetery that existed at that time. Research shows more than 200 graves existed, possibly more. The History Center was hoping to team with PFW archaeology students in the summer of 2020 before the COVID-19 Pandemic started to identify the boundaries of the cemetery. The AWS Foundation and the History Center as part of a project to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the American with Disabilities Act are researching and documenting the history of the school and center to show how far society has progressed when it comes to people with disabilities. They are hoping to collect stories to used in a documentary by WFWA-TV PBS Fort Wayne.
In addition, the History Center will have a temporary exhibit the fall of 2020 that focuses on the center, how the region has understood the people at the school and artifacts from the school.
Read more in Days of a forgotten school Stories sought about memories of state center by Terri Richardson publilshed March 08, 2020 in The Journal Gazette newspaper .
1892 Samuel Hanna sold 100 acres to the driving association formed by some of the city's wealthiest men. 1902 was Fort Wayne's first fair. Auto races were on a one-mile oval and by 1910 airplanes appeared. In 1913 the land was sold to developer Louis F. Curdes, developer of Forest Park Boulevard. It became Forest Hill through the 1940s. From Lost track fades from memory by Rosa Salter Rodriguez published July 07, 2013 in The News-Sentinel newspaper. See also Fort Wayne Driving Park by Mark Meyer posted February 11, 2013 on the History Center Notes & Queries blog.
The officers of the new company, the Fort Wayne Electric Works, organized in May, 1899, were: Henry C. Paul, president; S. D. Green, vice-president; M. F. Westover, secretary, and Fred S. Hunting, treasurer and sales manager, while Mr. Wood continued his services as factory manager and chief electrician. From Fort Wayne Electric Works on VintageMachinery.org. The Fort Wayne lamp works of the Edison Lamp Works of General Electric was opened in September 1906. Several photos and a brief history on Fort Wayne on LampTech.com/uk. A Fort Wayne 12" Antique Desk Fan is discussed at Vintage Fans.com made by General Electric for FWEW . Photo and discussion September 29, 2017 onthe original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook. See General Electric.
Full Circle: Women in the Fort Wayne Fire Department
WFWA PBS39 2013 promotional documentary project about women in the Fort Wayne Fire Department featuring Fort Wayne's first female Fire Chief Amy Biggs and Fort Wayne's first female firefighter, Genois Wilson. From Pbs39 Productions on Facebook May 23, 2013.
In the era of gas lighting, Fort Wayne Gas Works, located on the site of today’s Hall’s Gas House restaurant on Superior Street between Barr and Lafayette streets, was the central public utilities operation in Fort Wayne. Copied from Under the Gas Lights by Tom Castaldi published May 23, 2013 on the History Center Notes & Queries blog. For more see Old Gas House.
Fort Wayne Medical College and the Fort Wayne College of Medicine
Both opened in the 1870's, leading to a sharp increase in body snatching and public outcry against the practice. Eventually, seven people associated with Fort Wayne Medical College were arrested in connection with these illegal activities. Finally, in 1879, the General Assembly of Indiana passed the Anatomical Act of 1879 which provided a lawful means by which medical schools could obtain bodies. Copied from an Apil 18, 2017 post by Indiana Historical Bureau on Facebook.
The Allen County Public Library Digital Collections at the Allen County Public Libraryphoto on the right - Municipal Beach, Fort Wayne: now city utilities, showing swimmers, 1930s, west of St. Joseph River dam, with dam and utilities building in background is one of four photos in their collection. The beach was on the St. Joseph River at Johnny Appleseed Park across the parking lot from the current Allen County War Memorial Coliseum. It was popular from the 1920's through the late 1940's polio scare. A newspapert article Brown: Coliseum keeps adapting Booking acts gets more difficult as other venues open by Rosa Salter Rodriquez published December 4, 2017 in The Journal Gazette newspapersays that when the coliseum opened in 1953 there was a planned Phase 2 with a giant swimming pool and Phase 3 with a 3,500-seat auditorium. An educated guess is the pool was probably meant to replace the municipal beach that closed a few years before the coliseum opened. Various public pools in city parks and a few housing subdivisions opened in the 1960s likely negated the success of a giant swimming pool at the coliseum. This video and more discussed December 4, 2017 onthe original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook.
Ca. 1911, 114 W. Washington Blvd. was added to the National Historic Register in 1988 and to the Local Historic Register in 1989. See Fort Wayne Printing Building history with photos and timeline on midtowncrossing.net.
The Top Ten of Fort Wayne Sports History Photo Story published July 20, 2014 by Chris Treft on YouTube
A top ten list of things Fort Wayne Sports History has produced all time. This is in the form of a photo story with all pictures taken by myself, Chris Treft. This project was completed for my photo journalism class at IPFW.
1993-2008 the Kenosha Twins baseball team relocated to Fort Wayne with their first game April 10, 1993 in a new 6,500 seat Memorial Stadium near the Memorial Coliseum as the Wizards in the Midwest League. Last game was September 1, 2008 lost 0-3 against the Great Lakes Loons. October 2, 2008 Wizards name ended becoming the Fort Wayne Tincaps playing a new stadium Parkview Field in downtown Fort Wayne. Some informaiont from Fort Wayne Wizards on FunWhileItLasted.net. See
Memorial Stadium / Fort Wayne Wizards By Kevin Reichard on November 3, 2008 on ballparkdigest.com.
Ship ID-3786 - was a 6245 gross ton (12,260 tons displacement) freighter, built in 1918 by Baltimore Drydock and Shipbuilding Co., Baltimore, Maryland; acquired by the Navy 27 December 1918 the last year of World War I; and commissioned as USS Fort Wayne (ID # 3786) the same day, Lieutenant Commander S. C. Fenn, USNRF, in command. After the war it became the SS Fort Wayne and scrapped in Japan in 1934. See photos and information on S.S. Fort Wayne (American Freighter, 1918)
Served as USS Fort Wayne (ID # 3786) in 1918-1919 on the Naval Historical Center web site, and USS Fort Wayne (ID-3786) on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
A nature preserve started around 1975 in the Allen County Parks Department. The 600-acre park contains the largest contiguous forest in the county and a 40-foot-high glacial sand dune which could give visitors some idea what the area looked like when explorers and pioneer settlers came to this area. Sol Fest is held every May since the 25th anniversary in 2000 in celebration of nature education at Fox Island with a mix of music and get outdoor oriented activities. See Rediscover outdoors at Sol Fest Annual event at Fox Island benefits county park efforts by Keiara Carr published May 2, 2014 in The Journal Gazette newspaper.
200 E. Main St., Fort Wayne, IN 46802. Since 1971, 4.6 acres. Designed by Alvin M. Strauss. History: Freimann Square was funded in large part by the posthumous donation of Frank Freimann, the former president of Magnavox Company. In 1971, Mr. Freimann's gift was used for actual park development while a federal grant provided the land for this downtown oasis. Copied from Freimann Square at Fort Wayne Parks.org. this park located in the center of the city provides space for many of the local festivals and events. Visitors can enjoy the colorful fountain, majestic statue of General Anthony Wayne, and the beautiful foliage on the square. Copied from Freimann Square at Visit Fort Wayne. Photo of the 200 block of Columbia Street downtown at Main and Clinton Street prior to when it was razed in 1970 to build the park is shown on the right, posted May 28, 2019 by The Landing Fort Wayne on Facebook. See old and new photos and discussion August 31, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook. See Freimann Square Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
The refrigerator "Frigidaire was founded as the Guardian Frigerator Company in Fort Wayne, Indiana and developed the first self-contained refrigerator (invented by Nathaniel B. Wales and Alfred Mellowes) in 1916." copied from Frigidaire on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Our History Frigidaire on Frigidaire-la.com. "Two of the first home refrigerators both appeared in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where, in 1911, General Electric company unveiled a unit invented by a French monk. In 1915 the first "Guardian" refrigerator - a predecessor of the Frigidaire - was assembled in a wash house in a Fort Wayne backyard" copied from The Story of the Refrigerator formerly on the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers www.aham.org website. A father of the refrigerator in City was home for many inventions by Michael Hawfield from the archives of The News-Sentinel newspaperpublished December 13, 1993. There is also a YouTubeRefrigerator Marketing: "The Proof Parade" 1937 Frigidaire published March 27, 2013.