Who Am I? Photo Identification Project on FacebookBack to top
Historic Photo Contributions
Fort Wayne and Allen County Photos
- The Genealogy Center at the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana has a 20-page list with information about local photographers in their DIRECTORY OF FORT WAYNE PHOTOGRAPHERS 1843-1930 by John D. Beatty.
- Three photograhers are found in the first 1858 Fort Wayne City Directory. Benham B. H. Photograph and Ambrotype Gallery on page 29. Photos of some early cameras and people were posted February 25, 2019 on Facebook by The History Center.
- 1942 Log Cabins in Allen County, Indiana 31 photos on The Genealogy Center web site.
- 1960s Photos of Fort Wayne by Richard Stamats from a January 18, 2013 Comment onthe original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook.
- Allen County Community Album at the Allen County Public Libraryhas over 64,000 photographs and documents in 110 collections according to their January 31, 2020 Genealogy Gem ezine.
- Allen Co IN Old Photos submitted by researchers on FamilyOldPhotos.com Free Old Photo Archive.
- FOUND: Photo of BAKER Family of Fort Wayne (1880's) a young couple with 3 children posted June 18, 2013 on Indiana Genealogical Society blog.
- Looking Back: Christmas around town in old photos by Corey McMaken published December 4, 2018 online by The Journal Gazette newspaper.
- "Click trip through city changes" by Emma Downs published October 30, 2011 in The Journal Gazette newspapermentions their extensive photograph collection.
- Christopher Crawford: Photography Portfolios - 1994 to the present includes Fort Wayne area photos.
- Community Development Photos in the City of Fort Wayne Documents at The Genealogy Center.
- Daniel A. Baker Photograph Collection includes location map that
consists of hundreds of images of Fort Wayne taken and donated by photographer, Daniel A. Baker. Many of the photographs are from Baker’s collaboration with local historian Randolph L. Harter for the 2018 book, Fort Wayne Through Time, where they were arranged in a “then and now” format with the “then” images dating as far back as the 1890’s.Copied from a longer description at the Allen County Public Library Digital Collections at the Allen County Public Library. Described in the newspaper article Then and now, side by side Pair goes to great heights for updates of historic photos by Rod King published January 6, 2019 in The Journal Gazette newspaper.
- Directory of Fort Wayne Photographers 1843 - 1930by John D. Beatty at The Genealogy Center
- Digital Collections and Indiana State Library Map Collectionat the Indiana State Library.
- The Fort Wayne 1x Project - on tumblr systematically documents the city of Fort Wayne, Indiana.
- Fort Wayne IN Old Photos submitted by researchers on FamilyOldPhotos.com Free Old Photo Archive.
- Fort Wayne IN Trolley Coaches - Indiana Service Corporation (ISC) - Fort Wayne Transit (FWT) on TrolleyBuses.net
- History Center Digital Collections at IPFW - Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne on mastodon Digital Object Network.
- IPFW University Archives Gallery
collection represents a small portion of the history of Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW)on mastodon Digital Object Network includes several image galleries including the History Center Digital Collections.
- The Indiana Album has over 600 images tagged with Allen County and Fort Wayne
- Indiana School for Feeble-Minded Youth photo album on Vintage Fort Wayne closed group on Facebookhas lots of other photo albums.
- Jarrard’s City Studio - An April 13, 2019 post with photo posted on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebooksays
Robison Park postcard with advertising for “Jarrard’s City Studio” on it. Harry Jarrard’s photography studio was located at 86 Calhoun Street Street in Fort Wayne. Harry Jarrard also had a photography studio at Robison Park.
- John Gevers professional site: http://www.johngevers.com/ and flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/newmediabrew/ has excellent detailed photographs of Fort Wayne.
- Journal Gazette's Throwback Thursdays archive photos posted on Twitter
- The Library of Congress has photos of Allen County, Indiana and Fort Wayne, Indiana.
- mDON Collection at the Helmke Library of Purdue Fort Wayne has several collections of photos and documents including:
- Fort Wayne Area Election Returns (80 results)
- Fort Wayne Area Government Information (509 results)
- Fort Wayne Area History Collection (17 results)
- History Center Digital Collections (574 results)
- Miami Indians(152 results)
- Penny Postcards from Indiana for Allen County and Fort Wayne on USGenWeb Archives. CardCow.com has 14 pages (264 cards) January 2013 of Fort Wayne, Indiana post cards and Summit City News Agency postcards of local scenes. Most contain addresses with postage.
- Postcards From Fort Wayne by kristinafh on flickr, also has other Albums with some more local photos
- Postcards of Fort Wayne - 100s of images posted on CardCow.com
- Vintage Aerial has over 1554 rolls of film with flight maps for Allen County with 36 images each roll taken since the 1960s.
- Visit Fort Wayne Media Galleries current photos will open your eyes to whats possible in Fort Wayne or Instagram gallery.
- You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebookphotos, postcards and newspaper clippings posted February 3, 2017, 15 more February 3, 2017, 15 more February 3, 2017, 15 more February 3, 2017, street scene February 4, 2017, 20+ bridges February 4, 2017, 40+ February 4, 2017, 25+ February 4, 2017, many comments on a large 1930s photo of downtown Fort Wayne Printing, Edison/General Electric Lamp and other old buidings February 7, 2017,
Books of Area Photographs
- Photos of everyday life give the 'Allen County Photo Album' a real community feel a sampling from The News-Sentinel's photo book on 100 years in the Fort in honor of its 175th anniversary published November 28, 2008 in The News-Sentinel newspaper. Allen County Photo Album book arrives November 11, 2008 on The News-Sentinel newspaper. Allen County Photo Album 1852-1954 by Brian Tombaugh, Laura Weston-Elchert of The News-Sentinel newspaper
A book of beautiful and historic photographs of Fort Wayne and Allen County, Indiana, from the archives of the News-Sentinel and our readerson Google Books published in 2008. They also have an Allen County Photo Album books Facebook page.
- Allen County Photo Album 1955-59 by Jon Swerens was discussed in New book signing in Bluffton published December 1, 2009 on the Allen County Photo Album blog.
- Allen County Photo Album 1960-1969 - Upcoming book ‘Allen County Photo Album 1960-1969’ offers pictorial look at decade of change in Fort Wayne and Allen County by Kevin Kilbane published July 18, 2018 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.
The Genealogy Center at the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana has several videos posted by Allen County Public Library on YouTube. Here are some titles regarding what to do with photographs.
- Creating Your Family Photo Archive posted Nov 13, 2021.
Do you have a collection of priceless family photographs that you've digitized, but you aren't sure what to do with the digital files? Join senior librarian Elizabeth Hodges on Tuesday, September 28th where she will discuss how she has been working to create her own family's photo archive. Handout: https://static.libnet.info/images/pdfs/acpl/Genealogy/Handout_Creating_Your_Family_Photo_Archive.pdf
- Who, What, Where, When, How to Look at Your Photographs: Analyze, Organize, and Preserve posted Feb 14, 2022.
You know that box of photographs you've been meaning to get to, but it just seems so overwhelming? Well, join us as we sort through some tips, hints, and clues on how to identify, organize, and preserve those family photographs. Presented by Kay Spears.Handout: https://static.libnet.info/images/pdfs/acpl/Genealogy/Miscellaneous_Photography_Websites.pdf
Additional Photograph Information
- Aerial Photographs and Historic Maps from the 1930s to the present at Indiana Archives and Records Administration
- American Museum of Natural History Starts Digitizing, Makes 7,000 Photos Available to the Public by Gannon Burgett published April 29, 2014 in PetaPixel.com brings 145 years worth of its historic photography collection to the computer age.
- Center for Digital Scholarship at IUPUI University Library. Site includes a variety of databases including historic Indiana atlases and maps, War of 1812 Collection, and Indianapolis city directories.
- Collections Search Center at the Smithsonian Institution has 8.6 million cataloged records. Their YouTubeArchives has videos such as Preserve Your Treasures: How To Remove Photos from a Sticky Album uploaded October 21, 2010 and Preserve Your Treasures: How To Store Your Photographs uploaded November 17, 2010.
- DeadFred has over 100,000 images anyone can upload to their site. Genealogy Gems Podcast Episode 74 - An Amazing Story Featuring DeadFred
- Free to Use and Reuse: Presidential Portraits at The Library of Congress.
- GenDisasters - Events That Touched Our Ancestors' Lives has old photos.
- Historical Photographs Digital Collections Harold B. Lee Library at BYU.com Brigham Young University.
- How Google Images can help you research your family history like never before published August 12, 2012 on The Sociable.
- Indiana a collection of electric railroad, interurban, and streetcar photography from many eras on newDavesRailPix.com - railroad and trolley photos.
- Indiana Album has a couple hundred Fort Wayne photosand hundreds of business photos for northeast Indiana from Johnson Brothers Sign Company Collection of South Whitley, Whitley County, Indiana and much more.
- Indiana Historical Society Digital Images at the Indiana Historical Society indianahistory.org.
- Indiana Memory is a collaborative effort to provide access to the wealth of primary sources in Indiana libraries, archives, museums, and other cultural institutions. DPLA Search page to over 45,000 results on Indiana Memory.
- Indiana State Library Digital Collections see blog Indiana State Library’s Oversize Photograph Collection now available online and in-person and Indiana State Library Photograph Collections
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog has over one million digitized images of their 14 million item collection online.
- Life Magazine Photo Collection on Google has photos back to the 1860s organized by decade, including the Eavey Food Market, but not general searches like Fort Wayne or Allen County.
- Lincoln Financial Foundation Collection at the Allen County Public Libraryhas over 3,500 ebooks on Internet Archive
- Moment in a moment Fake vintage, vintage photos are in vogue by Maura Judkis of the Washington Post newspaper published October 30, 2011 in the The Journal Gazette newspaperdiscusses the technique of taking photographs by overlaying historic photos in the same scene and location.
- Penny Postcards from Indiana on USGenWeb Archives.
- Personal Archiving Preserving Your Digital Memories from The Library of Congress.
- Prints and Photographs Online Catalog at the Library of Congress also on Flickr and American Memory Photographs
- Tips for Photographing Gravestones on Genealogy.com
- U. S. History Images by Karen J. Hatzigeorgiou images are all in the public domain and are free for anyone to use in any way with just a couple of exceptions.
- U.S. National Archives photostream on Flickr
- Wabash Valley Visions & Voices Digital Memory Project preserving the past and present for the future. Focuses on the Wabash Valley region in west central Indiana and east central Illinois, includes yearbooks, maps, and court records.
- W.H. BASS PHOTO CO. – INDIANA RAIL TRANSPORTATION IMAGES at Indiana Historical Society.