In 1916 the Luther Institute opened with a two-year, basically business school program. The courses offered included typing, shorthand, bookkeeping, domestic science, office machines, office procedures, literature, grammar, spelling, penmanship, composition, correspondence, history, civics, business law and Bible study. Evening classes were held three evenings per week for those who worked during the day. The Lutheran School Society operated the Luther Institute with membership primarily from the Lutheran congregations of Fort Wayne. Nominal membership dues, tuition and gifts supported the school. The initial annual tuition was $114.00. The Luther Institute was located next to St. Paul’s Lutheran Church on Barr Street in Fort Wayne. The Luther Institute was the predecessor of Concordia Lutheran High School. The Luther Institute closed in approximately 1935.
Brenda Blackburn has a picture of the teachers and students in 1926 and is willing to scan the picture for anyone interested in a certain person. Below is a list of the students and teachers in the picture. You can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Martin H. Bertram was born September 21, 1887 in Upper Montere, New Zealand (d. 5 May 1983). He graduated from Concordia Seminary (Saint Louis) in 1911 and served as a pastor at Didsbury and Bismarck, Alberta, Canada. He was an assistant professor at Concordia College (Saint Paul, Minnesota) from 1914 to 1916, principal of Luther Institute (Fort Wayne, Indiana) from 1916 to 1921 and professor at Concordia College (Fort Wayne) beginning in 1921.
Indiana University moved classes from evening classes at Central High School to the building in 1937, and purchased the building in 1940.
Floering, K.H. (teacher)
Foelber, H.J. (teacher)
Gernand, W.J. (teacher)
| Koehlinger, Winston
Werling, Helen Ann
Witte, G.W. (teacher)
Back to top