free genealogy since 1996
Allen County, Indiana Genealogy
E Named Places in Allen County, Indiana
Eagle Marsh Nature Preserve
6801 Engle Road, Fort Wayne, 46804. Eagle Marsh Preservation on Facebook. Bald eagles and sandhill cranes are the stars among a variety of wildlife returning to this restored marsh in the portage area of southwest Allen County maintained by the Little River Wetlands Project. The portage area of southwest Allen County connects the 3 Fort Wayne rivers with the Wabash River that flows southwest to the Ohio River then the Mississippi River. Fort Wayne is called the "Summit City" because it was the highest point on the Wabash & Erie Canal and also near a continental divide so the Maumee River Flows northeast to Lake Erie (one of the Great Lakes) in the opposite direction as the Wabash River. The Fort Wayne Community School Portage Middle School is near and named for this area. Fort Wayne sits along a continental divide discussed in Options narrowed for Eagle Marsh carp plan August 15, 2013 by Dan Stockman of the The Journal Gazette newspaper. Carp-control report released for Eagle Marsh August 15, 2013 statement issued by the Corps of Engineers. Officials to research 2 options for halting carp August 16, 2013 by Dan Stockman of the The Journal Gazette newspaper. PrimeTime - Age of Nature - October 9, 2020 Season 2020 Episode 32 | 27m 33s Age of Nature. Guests - Bob Dispenza and Betsy Yankowiack. This area’s only in-depth, live, weekly news, analysis and cultural update forum, PrimeTime 39 airs Fridays at 7:30pm. This program is hosted by PBS39’s President/General Manager Bruce Haines.
East State Village
The East State Village sign, which Hofer and Davis, Inc. provided some information to Alan Grinsfelder, local architect with Grinsfelder Associates for this archway sign across State Street!was shown in a December 12, 2017 post with the dedicated bricks in the archway in a December 18, 2017 post by Hofer and Davis, Inc. Land Surveyors on Facebook.
East State Village ca. 1960 (with a photo)
By Randy Harter
Fort Wayne Reader
The roughly eight block long East State Village is made up of approximately 20 commercial properties largely developed during the city’s trolley era in the 1920’s. In this circa 1960 image (taken from the roof of today’s Colvin Kitchen & Bath building), two of the pictured businesses are still going strong, PIO Market and the Candlelight Café. Others not in the view, State Grill, the Acme Bar, and the Tecumseh Library (now in a new building) are also still with us.
In the view, just past the circa 1926 Spanish Eclectic style fire station (FW Engine Company #10) is Fort Wayne National Bank, which today houses The Rib Room and Nick’s Martini Bar. It’s interesting in that Nick’s Ribs was in business (since 1957) when this image was taken, but was then located in the first building east of the firehouse (you can just barely see the “N” in Nick’s on the front of the building), and then moved to the old Fort Wayne National Bank building after the bank moved out. Beyond the bank going west was Wayne Camera, Stately Women’s Wear, Roble Shoes, Pio Market, and then the parking lot, which from 1930 until the early 50’s was the site of the State Street Theater. Next, was Klemm’s Candlelight Café, Belmont dime store (now S & V Liquors) followed by a Texaco gas station. Still going west on the north side of the street, across Crescent was Clay Pharmacy on the NW corner, Trend Television & Appliances, Curtis Flowers (now the Acme parking lot), and the Acme Bar “Where Neighbors Meet - Since 1941”.
Jumping across the street south and coming back east, was Peerless Dry Cleaners on the SW corner of State and Kentucky, then across the intersection Noel’s Service Station on the SE corner , Rommel’s Body Shop, Klug Shoe store, Lantz Insurance, Karl’s Barber Shop and State Street Hardware on the SW corner of State and Crescent. Across Crescent going east was Dr. Franke/Phys , Weaver Barber Shop, Dr. Merkel/DDS, Roberts Hair Salon, State Grill, Dr. Rockey/DDS, Huntine Shell (where gas was 29.9 per gallon). Then across California Avenue a Sinclair Service Station, Meyer Bros drugstore and Schwartz Babyland (both were in today’s Colvin Kitchen & Bath building), Scott’s Bakery, Mix Jewelers and finally, State Street Shoe Repair before coming to Alabama Ave.
Crossing the street north to where Abby Brown’s Chocolate’s was most recently located was Millers’s Dairy Store, the Tecumseh Library, Kroger grocery store (now the parking lot east of the library), Buschbaum Drug, Bon Ton Bakery, the U. S. Post Office (now Simply Socks Yarn Company), then crossing California to the then 1960 Nick’s Rib Bar location and once again the fire station. (Image courtesy Bob Baker)
Thanks to Bob Baker for his remembrances of East State Village, and prior research by Creager Smith/City of Fort Wayne Historic Planner and Michael Galbraith/ARCH-Northeast Indiana Regional Partnership.
Randy Harter is a Fort Wayne historian, author and tour guide for Fort Wayne Food Tours.
A local landmark opened July 31, 1956, at 5300 Decatur Road, with the longest clear-span, monochord trusses ever used in any building in the world supporting the roof. The July 1958 Indiana Business Magazine featured Henry J. Eavey's flagship store in Fort Wayne. At 80,761 square feet, with a selling area of 50,250 square feet, it was the largest supermarket in the world at the time. Dan Vance photo caption stated:
1956 - The Eavey's Supermarket on Decatur Road, opening July 31, 1956, has been called the world's largest, with 80,761 square feet. it has a selling area of 50,250 square feet. One of its king-sized features is the 70-foot cornucopia holding the sign at the north end of the building. shown in the photo posted in THIS DAY IN HISTORY: July 27 in photos published July 27, 2018 in The News-Sentinel newspaper. The store was owned by Scott Foods, then bought by Kroger, who closed the store February 14, 2009, which then faced demolition until a new owner bought it in 2013 for warehousing.
- Flickr has a color 1950's era photo shown above.
- Featured in the September 1957 Life magazine photo on Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne.
- See Life Magazine Photo Collection on Google.
- Discussed in Our 40th anniversary: the largest supermarket in the world. by Sandra Cline published March 1 1997 in Indiana Business Magazine.
- Cornucopia is beloved, but not ‘historic' by Kevin Leininger of the News-Sentinel January 22, 2009 newspaper article.
- ARCH ( Architecture and Community Heritage) has color photos of the cornucopia on A Cornucopia of preservation issues.
- Discussion and comments on Save the cornucopia!! January 22, 2009 on the Around Fort Wayne blog.
- The January 21, 2009 Update On The Cornucopia (New Information - 4:30 est) on the Child of the Fort blogalso had a discussion on trying to save the store from closure and demolition.
- Horn of Plenty (of trouble) Preserving the Scott’s cornucopia on Decatur road is problematic by Michael Summers published February 24, 2009 on Fort Wayne Reader.
- January 9, 2013
Businessman Robert Troxel acquired the 58,000-square-foot grocery at 5300 Decatur Road with initial plans for warehousing, but he is reconsidering the best use for the site. Stated in the articleFormer Scott’s on Decatur Road sold by Paul Wyche of The Journal Gazette [January 9, 2013].
- January 9, 2013 color photo of the cornucopia, July 22, 2013, and May 31, 2017 photo discussion onthe original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook.
- See photos and discussion December 2016, Parade magazine photos on January 9, 2017 and March 17, 2017 discussion on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.
1915 West Main
is a grand 1900 Free Classic home owned by Henry E. Eckart, general manager and secretary-treasurer of the Fred Eckart Packing Co., a mammoth meat-processing company deeply woven into the neighborhood’s history. Its plant and stockyards at 1825 W. Main St. – the remaining building lost in a fire in 1998 after changing hands – employed hundreds after the company was founded in 1877 by Henry Eckart’s father, Frederick Eckart, an immigrant from Bavaria, Germany. Copied from A house with a history Meatpacker’s mansion draws dad, daughter June 2, 2013 by Rosa Salter Rodriguez of The Journal Gazette newspaper. See June 13, 2013 photo for home tour by ARCH ( Architecture and Community Heritage)on Facebook.
Eckrich, Peter & Sons Meats
Peter Eckrich, an immigrant from Waldsee, German arrived in America at the age of 17. He launched a meat market in 1894 Fort Wayne. He created and sold sausage varieties
he enjoyed growing up in Germany. By 1907 he was wholesaling meat, then incorporated as Peter Eckrich & Sons in 1925. They ceased retail by 1932, operating exclusively as a wholesale meat vendor.
By 1932, Eckrich meats were nationally recognized for their great taste and supreme quality. Peter died in 1942. In the 1960s-1970s, Peter Eckrich & Sons heavily advertised during local sporting events including high school basketball, baseball, and Komets hockey. Eckrich was sold to publicly owned Beatrice Foods of Chicago in 1972 merged into Swift and Sons in 1986 as Swift-Eckrich. The Fort Wayne plant closed in the mid-1980s. In 1990 they were sold to ConAgra, then October 2, 2006 sold to Smithfield Foods which in 2013 became privately owned by a Chinese company.
- Eckrich Company Collection, Fort Wayne, Indiana at The Genealogy Center
- Information from Ekrich at Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia
- Eckrich Heritage at Eckrich.com
- China firm buys Smithfield Foods $4.72 billion deal largest of its kind May 30, 2013 by Michael Felberbaum of the Associated Press.
- June 26, 2015 discussion and May 29, 2017 photo of May 1963 advertisement in Family Circle magazine November 5, 2017 and Name Search on You know you've lived in Fort Wayne too long when... Private Facebook group.
Back to top
Echo German Mutual Insurance
146th year on January 1, 2013
Economy Glove Company
Wallace and Barr Streets circa 1902-1920. The photo at right of women workers outside the business was posted with the description:
A 1902 edition of on The Indiana Album, Joan Hostetler Collection. The photo was posted and discussed January 26, 2019 on
You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook. One comment said the factory at Barr & Wallace Streets was destroyed by fire February 4, 1920 from an article in the February 5, 1920 The News-Sentinel newspaper.
The American Hatter magazine reported that the business was about to open in Fort Wayne and would employ 50 people. By 1907, they employed 100 women and 5 men. The factory manufactured canvas work gloves, underwear, and mittens, and was in business at least through 1921.
Economy Motor Buggy Company
Built an electric motor buggy.
There were several companies during the early 1900s that used the name 'Economy.' One of the earlier companies to use the name was the Economy Motor Buggy Company of Fort Wayne, Indiana, which produced motor buggy's from 1908 through 1911. Their president was William R. Everett, an individual who had worked on developing an experimental electric roadster as well as a light delivery vehicle. Copied from 1908 Economy Model B at Conceptcarz.com.
The Success Automobile Manufacturing Company was founded in 1906 by John C. Higdon, who had built his first car in 1896; back then for experimental purposes only. While Higdon was open to let people copy his construction back in 1896, and even publicly invited to do so, he became much more aware of patents and royalties when building cars on a commercial schedule. So, he took several competitors to court on this matter; among them the Economy Motor Buggy Company in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Copied from Success Automobile Manufacturing Company at Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.
As the century turned, the auto was arriving in Fort Wayne.
First were the "silent, gliding [p.10]" electrics of the city's leading merchants, according to "The Columbia Street Story," a history of Fort Wayne's first main street written by Roy M. Bates and Kenneth B. Keller for Fort Wayne's bicentennial in 1994.[did she mean the 1976 USA bicentennial? the book was published in 1975 - p. 6]
"Some remember the old battery station, at ... Washington and Broadway, where weird lights flickered all night as batteries for the electrics were charged for the next day's use, [p.2]" they write.
But the 20th century's first decade also saw the arrival of early cars on the city's mostly unpaved streets. Some of the local "horseless carriages" were purchased from Fort Wayne's first Ford dealer, or were made here, however briefly, by the Economy Motor Buggy Co.
Local historian Bob DeVinney found Economy Motor Buggy in the earliest city directories in his extensive collection. He has the company identified in 1908 and part of 1909 in a factory in what was called the Commercial Addition off Taylor Street, although he does not know an exact address.
J. Ferd and Kenneth H. Beuret were the owners.
DeVinney also has an old Cliff Richards column from The Journal Gazette that mentions Economy Motor Buggy, along with the two other makes of cars once built in Fort Wayne, the Wayne and the Huffman.
"But I couldn't find anything about them," he said.
Copied from Horseless carriages paved way into century by Connie Haas Zuber with photo in the 1900-1909: THE ERA OF OPTIMISM inFort Wayne History Stories About Time Periods in I Remember History online tour of Summit City history from the archives of The News-Sentinel newspaper.
- Economy Motor Company and employees are mentioned many times in the 1908 City Directory.
- economy motor buggy fort wayne indiana Google search results
- Rare Early 1908 Economy Motor Buggy Letterhead Ft Wayne Indiana Sig President was for sale on PicClick.com.
Das Unternehmen wurde 1908 in Fort Wayne in Indiana gegründet. William R. Everett war Präsident. Er begann mit der Produktion von Automobilen unter dem Markennamen Economy. Die Success Auto-Buggy Manufacturing Company zog vor Gericht, weil Economy ihre Patente nutzte. Daraufhin zog Economy nach Kankakee in Illinois. Der Mangel an geeigneten Arbeitskräften in dieser Stadt sorgte dafür, dass der Sitz wenig später nach Joliet in Illinois verlegt wurde. Ende 1909 erfolgte die Umfirmierung. Ab 1910 lag der Schwerpunkt auf der Produktion auf Nutzfahrzeugen. 1911 endete die Pkw-Produktion. 1912 kam es zum Konkurs.Economy Motor Car Company on the German version of Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.
- A comment:
GE manufactures the electrical components at their Fort Wayne Indiana factory.Was on the 1914 Timeline of Electric Cars at the Edison Tech Center.
- A 1907 Holsman 10hp No. 3 Runabout Engine no. 170 sold at auction in the United Kingdom by Bonhams.com under Saleroom notices stated:
We are pleased to inform bidders that this High Wheeler is actually a far rarer Economy Model E 22/24hp. The Economy Motor Buggy Company of Fort Wayne, Indiana, produced motor buggy's from 1908 through to 1911.
- An April 22, 2019 comment to Disappearing Indy Auto Landmarks posted by Dennis E. Horvath | Sep 24, 2012 at HistoricIndianapolis.com stated:
Mr. Flowers. Our family owns the building that was the Economy Motor Buggy (later Economy Motor Car Co) of Joliet. I have a lot of information on both the “Economy Motorbuggy Co of Fort Wayne that later became the “Economy Motorcar Co.in Joliet. Mr Everett bought the company after the bankruptcy in order to built electric cars. I would like to exchange information with you and show you my collection of memorabilia. About 8 cars build in both Fort Wayne and Joliet still exist. One is in our local museum. http://story.illinoisstatemuseum.org/content/joliet-economy-motor-buggy.
- Edsall House
the oldest structure in downtown Fort Wayne and the city’s second oldest hospital, was built by William S. Edsall in 1839on the West Central Trail 17 stops on the Heritage Trail by ARCH ( Architecture and Community Heritage).
1970s photo of the William S. Edsall House, 305 West Main Street (Fort Wayne, Ind.) in the Indiana Landmarks Historic Architecture Collection. This photo was discussed January 29, 2023 on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook
1970s Indiana Landmarks Historic Architecture Collection photo
- Edsall House endured many changes by Michael Hawfield published November 2, 1993 in theCityscapes - People & Places series of articles from the archives of The News-Sentinel newspaper.
#2 - WILLIAM EDSALL HOUSE. YEAR CONSTRUCTED: 1839-40. The William Edsall House on W. Main St. is built in the Federal/Greek Rivial style. Its brick construction includes four interior end chimneys. It is the oldest structure in downtown Fort Wayne and hosted grand "Pioneer Balls" that saw the founders of Fort Wayne gather, reminisce and honor the creation of the city on the three rivers. It was converted into the city's second hospital in 1878, but it shuttered two days after it opened due to a clash with the mortgage company. It has housed the offices of the Home Builders Association of Fort Wayne since 1986. (Photo courtesy of The History Center).Copied from
FORT WAYNE FIVE: Oldest city structures on the National Register of Historic Placesby Justin Kenny posted January 4, 2018 at The News-Sentinel newspaper. See our National Register of Historic Places page.
- A December 14, 2017 post by Hofer and Davis, Inc. Land Surveyors on Facebook shared December 14, 2022 on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook stated:
For "Throwback Thursday" we share this article written for the PEOPLE SOUTHWEST through The Journal-Gazette by Tracy Warner on February 11, 1988. Tracy later became Journal-Gazette writer and Editorial Editor, and now works for Indiana and Michigan Power (AEP). We shared pictures before on the McCulloch House on Superior Street, when Tom and Kris Bireley had restored it and we surveyed for them. This article is on the flip side, and mentions one of our long-time clients Bud Hall. It also talks about the City Light property before it became Science Central. BTW....Hofer and Davis, Inc. provided the survey when Science Central took over!It shows an image of the PEOPLE SOUTHWEST a The Journal Gazette newspaper article by Tracy Warner on February 11, 1988 discussing six old buildings he wrote about four years earlier in 1983, four were vital to Fort Wayne heritage, that were wasting away. Two were still empty in 1988. They were the McCulloch House, the Centlivre Brewery site still standing in 1988 but later demolished, The Edsall House, the Baker Street Train Depot, the Hanna School built in 1905, closed in 1977, city bought in 1979, sold in 1984, bought again in 1986 then demolished in 1987 saving only the arched doorways, a gable, the cornerstone and balustrade; and City Light now Science Central. At the end he mentioned car phones a new technology in 1988!
Edsall Grist Mill
- The Electric Works complex is along Broadway Avenue south of downtown containing more than 1.2 million square feet in 18 historic General Electric buildings on 39 acres. Web site fortwayneelectricworks.com, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ElectricWorksFW/.
- For history see our General Electric and Jenney Electric sections.
- A photo of a flag posted July 4, 2019 by Electric Works on Facebook states
once the “Biggest Flag in Indiana.” The photo is of Monument Flag in 1898. “Superintendent Edward Barnes decided that the Fort Wayne Electric Works should display the flag in a striking manner. He constructed a flagpole 120 feet high in the mold of the masts of English racing yachts. ...The pole carried a flag which was 32 feet, 6 inches wide by 54 feet, 6 inches long.
Happy Independence Day, America! Quote from General Electric of Fort Wayne, Indiana, A 110 Year History by Clovis E. Linkous. Published in 1994.Fort Wayne Electric Works Dragon Fan c. 1907 photos shown on 200 @ 200 2016 Bicentennial items at The History Center.
- See Electric Works portfolio with photos and video at Elevatus Architecture posted August 12, 2022 by Saving Our GE Campus - "Innovation Lighting the Way" on Facebook.
- November 2, 2022 post with before and after photos:
Wow! The Union St. Market entrance is really starting to come together. This passage hasn’t seen usage since it was bricked off back in the 1950’s. It had previously been used by General Electric workers who parked their cars on the surface lots located north of the elevated train tracks.By West Central Neighborhood on Facebook.
- Electric Works portfolio on the Elevatus Architecture site has lots of photos including a live 24 hour camera, 360° camera shots and more.
Electric Works is honored to be chosen as Fort Wayne Magazine''s Project of the Year. This recognition is all about the people who brought Electric Works to life, and you can read about some of them in the December issue. Thank you to Fort Wayne Magazine and to the many, many people who have played a role in the project!Copied from a December 2, 2022 post on Facebook. Read the online copy of the December 2022 issue of Fort Wayne Magazine.
After years of planning and fundraising and building and restoring, the former General Electric campus in Fort Wayne is transformed into the new mixed-used development called Electric Works. WANE 15 got exclusive access to the different areas people can experience when they visit – and some of the areas not always open to the general public. Watch the different videosat WANE 15 explores everything Electric Works has to offer by Alyssa Ivanson, posted: Dec 7, 2022 at CBS WANE-TV NewsChannel 15.
- December 14, 2022 general contractor Weigand Construction posted this video on Facebook stating:
Check out the latest on completed spaces over at Electric Works! There's Dynamo Alley, Union Street Market, The Forum, and much more!https://www.weigandconstruction.com/
- January 4, 2023 a photo of the new fence with Electric Works on it by BASTEEL Perimeter Systems posted on Facebook.
- A January 18, 2023 post by Greater Fort Wayne Inc. on Facebook stated:
New signage is up at Electric Works... but don't forget about the classics
- A January 18, 2023 post by Indiana Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology
on Facebook statement:
At today's Historic Preservation Review Board Meeting, eight properties will be considered for listing in the State and National Register of Historic Places: - General Electric Fort Wayne Electric Works Historic District, Allen County - Learn more about these properties and the full meeting agenda here: Indiana Historic Preservation Board Staff Commentswhich includes a link to the 97 page National Register of Historic Places Registration Form. See other National Registered Historic Places.
January 27, 2023 post by Electric Works on Facebook:
Our campus sign is installed, and now we are ready to light it! Join us on campus Monday evening as we celebrate the inaugural lighting of the Electric Works and Do it Best sign.
- Electric Works sign lighting a full circle moment for former GE employee by Alyssa Ivanson posted: Jan 30, 2023 on CBS WANE-TV NewsChannel 15. Discussed January 30, 2023 on Facebook.
Video: Kevin Gilliam tells a story about the Electric Works future phase buildings
Video: Story of When Ronald Reagan visited GE
Video: New Do It Best Electric Works sign
- Electric Works Do it Best sign lights up Fort Wayne sky by Joe Carroll, Clayton McMahan, posted: Jan 30, 2023 on CBS WANE-TV NewsChannel 15. Video: From General Electric to Electric Works. Discussed January 30, 2023 on Facebook.
A January 31, 2013 post by Weigand Construction on Facebook.
What an iconic moment for our community! 💡 It's been quite a while in the making, but the new Do it Best Electric Works sign has officially been lit. If you didn't get the chance to come to the lighting ceremony last night, make sure you ✨look up✨ next time you're on Broadway! #BuildingLandmarks #ElectricWorks #FortWayne
A January 31, 2023 Facebook post by Elevatus Architecture is at Electric Works.
The lighted sign at Electric Works marks an important step in the years-long renovation of the sprawling and crumbling million square foot historic industrial campus in downtown Fort Wayne into a buzzing mixed-use district of innovation, culture and community. 🔆 ➡️ Electric Works flips switch on new sign
A January 31, 2023 post by Mike Durbin on Facebook.
The new signs at Electric Works were officially lit during a ceremony Monday evening.
Februar 15, 2023 post by Electric Works on Facebook:
Did you know that the Union Tunnel at Electric Works was previously used by GE employees? Now, the tunnel that has been closed off for years is being used once again to connect the Electric Works campus to parking on the other side of the tracks.
#ElectricWorks #FortWayne #FWHistory
February 21, 2023 nearly 20 tunnel photos posted on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook
April 13, 2023 post by Hallmark Home Mortgage-NMLS#53441 on Facebook:
On this episode of HHMtv, we take the tour of Fort Wayne's biggest and most ambitious project to date, Electric Works with the help of our friends at Elevatus Architecture! A sprawling 700,000 sq ft campus, the historic GE Campus has been renovated and repurposed, and now is home to incredible things like Union Street Market, Prayerworksfw, and the Amp Lab at Electric Works. Bring the whole family down to the campus, enjoy some great food and drink at the Market, and enjoy the warm weather outside at the Weigand Yard! With more construction and more businesses being added, Electric Works is going to be an incredible asset to Fort Wayne for years to come! Make sure you follow along with HHMtv, so you don't miss an episode! #hhmtv #electricworks #myfortwayne
April 24, 2023 post by Elevatus Architecture on Facebook:
Big news! Electric Works has been designated as a historic districthttps://bit.ly/3oE5kOF
April 24, 2023 post by WANE 15 on Facebook:
The National Parks Service now lists the campus as the “General Electric Fort Wayne Electric Works Historic District”.
Electric Works receives ‘historic district’ designation by Joe Carroll posted: April 24, 2023
See other local National Registered Historic Places.
April 26, 2023 post by Electric Works on Facebook:
Have you heard the news? The Electric Works campus is now on the National Register of Historic Places!
FUN FACT: Parts of our campus date all the way back to 1883, when the Fort Wayne Jenney Electric Light Company was founded. Near the turn of the century, the company was acquired by General Electric, and the rest was history.
Visit our website to learn more about the history (and future) of Electric Works: fortwayneelectricworks.com/about/
#electricworks #historicalbuilding #historicpreservation #fortwaynehistory #history #fortwayne #GeneralElectric #historical #historicalplaces
215 East Berry Street. Designed by Fort Wayne architects John Wing and Marshall Mahurin, it was erected in 1895. Read The Elektron Building by Tom Castaldi published February 13, 2014 on the History Center Notes & Queries blog. The Elektron Building Stop #6 on the Central Downtown Trail 19 stops on the Heritage Trail by ARCH ( Architecture and Community Heritage). The Elektron Building marker photos with Google maps Street View image, and more at The Historical Marker Datatbase HMdb.org. See photos posted February 3, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook. Fort Wayne companies call historic buildings home about the Electron building and Baker Street Station by Dan Vance published January 21, 2019 in InFortWayne.com by KPC Media News Service.
A Brief History Lesson. Ellison Bakery sold to Michigan private equity firm by Dan McGowan, of Inside INdiana Business, published April 27th, 2017 on NE Indiana Regional Parnership.
The Embassy Theatre is an individual listing on the National Register of Historic Places. Designed by Alvin M. Strauss. The Embassy Theatre opened May 14, 1928 as the Emboyd Theatre, was restored in the 1990s recreating the original carpet, lace curtains, and light fixtures. Read more of their history on their About Us web page. See local Theaters such as the Broadway Theatre, Clyde Theatre, Embassy Theatre, Holiday Theater, Jefferson Theatre, Lyric Theatre, Palace Theatre, Paramount Theatre, and Rialto Theatre.
May 24, 2023 post by the Embassy Theatre on Facebook:
Did you know that the Embassy's Grande Page Pipe Organ was built by The Page Pipe Organ Company out of Lima, Ohio? The Page Pipe Organ Company was a manufacturer of small organs, however, they built only four larger organs one of which is housed at the Embassy.
The Embassy's organ has more than 1,300 pipes that range in size from a small pencil to large wooden flues sixteen feet high. Our organ was built to accompany silent movies, as such it has special effects which include bird whistles, police sirens, telephone bells, train whistles and more. We also have one of the few organs in the nation still in its original home!
April 27, 2023 post by the Embassy Theatre on Facebook:
Have you ever noticed the architectural features of our lower lounge bathrooms? This area features pillared arches in a Spanish motif with carvings of the scarab beetle (Scarabaeus sacer, regarded by the ancient Egyptians as sacred and a symbol for new life). We also have false back-lighted windows on one side of the corridor to give an open-air impression even though the hall is below ground level!
- Embassy Theatre channel on YouTube, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fwembassytheatre.
- See a 14 page collection of newspaper pages about the new Emboyd Theater from the May 14, 1928 The Journal Gazette newspaper.
- In the spring of 1929,
an unknown young vaudevillian named Bob Hope spent three weeks there performing as a master of ceremonies. The world-famous comedian, who died in 2003, later credited the theater with giving his career its start. ... In 1978, during a Save the Embassy fundraising campaign Bob Hope left a photo of himself, on which he inscribed,Copied from Nine decades packed with memories published May 19, 2018 in The Journal Gazette newspaper.
To the Embassy Theatre patrons: Don't let it fall. It helped get me started. My Best, Bob Hope.
- The Embassy Theatre by Tom Castaldi posted November 3, 2015 on History Center Notes & Queries blog.
- Embassy Theatre Page Organ Rebuilding, 1988, Fort Wayne, Indiana at the The Genealogy Center.
- Happy 90th, Embassy Historic venue hosts community event, vintage showcase by Corey McMaken published May 17, 2018 in The Journal Gazette newspaper includes the May 14, 1928 The Emboyd Gala Opening special edition pdf.
- See Embassy Theatre Photographs 1988-1978 on the The Genealogy Center web site.
- May 13, 1988
Paul Harvey recorded a custom version of "The Rest of the Story" for WOWO, spotlighting the 60th anniversary of Fort Wayne's Embassy Theatre and one of its most famous performers, followed by a WOWO promo for The Big Broadcast of 1988. Recording courtesy of Jim Cassell from the collection of the late Charlie Willer.Listen to 4 minute audio from the History of WOWO Airchecks page.
- Theatrical variety part of history published August 29, 1994 by Michael Hawfield from the Archives of The News-Sentinel newspaper discusses this and other local theatres.
- The book The Historic Fort Wayne Embassy Theatre by Dyne L. Pfeffenberger, 2009, Quarry Books, Indiana Universtiy Press.
- Photo of ushers from Great Memories and History of Fort Wayneon Facebook.
- The attached Indiana Hotel languished empty for decades returned in 2016 with a two-story ballroom able to seat 300 people, and a roof-top garden and bar overlooking Fort Wayne's revitalized downtown. Read A grand plan for Indiana hotel Embassy project to cost about $10 million by Dan Stockman published December 28, 2012 in The Journal Gazette newspaper.
Fort Wayne is a city where Embassy Theatre’s Grande Page pipe organ is practically a local celebrity and where scores of people drive from church to church just to hear their outstanding pipe organs demonstrated as part of “Follow the Pipes” during the Fort Wayne Newspapers Three Rivers Festival. quote fromthe newspaper article Instrument has many local fans February 7, 2013 by Rosa Salter Rodriguez of The Journal Gazette newspaper.
The Goldstine Foundation is a philanthropic organization established after the death of Realtor and land developer Robert Goldstine in 2001. Goldstine was instrumental in saving Embassy Theatre from demolition in the early 1970s. FromEmbassy project gets $2 million boost Goldstine grant will help restore 4 floors of the Indiana Hotel by Keiara Carr published June 27, 2013 in The Journal Gazette newspaper.
- Discussed July 27, 2013 on Historic movie theaters, Act II on Hoosier History Live internet radio.
- Discussion February 4, 2017 and photos of the Grand Page Organ posted and long discussion May 17, 2017 by Randy Harter, Fort Wayne historian and author and Search other dates on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.
- Do You Believe in the Embassy Theatre Ghost? by Jessica B. posted on October 17, 2017 on Visit Fort Wayne blog.
- Around a dozen photos of the early days as the Emboyd Theatre were posted May 13, 2022 on the 94th birthday on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook.
March 30, 2023 post by the Embassy Theatre on Facebook:
Did you know that the chandeliers hanging inside our theater weigh 500 pounds and are eight feet tall! The draperies behind the chandeliers are hiding more than 1,300 pipes for the Grande Page pipe organ.
#embassytheatre #fwembassy #fwembassytheatre #historictheatre #historicbuildings #downtownfortwayne #fortwayne #1928
April 20, 2023 post by the Embassy Theatre on Facebook:
Built in 1928, the Embassy Theatre is both Indiana’s largest self-sustaining historic theater and home to the magnificent Grande Page pipe organ. Originally known as the Emboyd, with the adjoining seven-story Indiana Hotel, our majestic movie palace and vaudeville theater introduced northern Indiana to the biggest and brightest stars of stage and screen. Faced with the wrecking ball in 1972, a handful of community leaders and volunteers banded together to form the Embassy Theatre Foundation. They rallied the community and saved the theater!
Please consider donating today to help us continue our mission of preserving this historic building. Support our campaign at: https://www.givegreaterallen.com/organiz.../fwembassytheatre
Thank you to those who helped contribute to this video:
Harvey Cocks, Jr - Embassy historian
Connie Haas Zuber - Executive Director, Arch
Fred Hitzemann - Long-time volunteer
Ellsworth Smith - Founder, Embassy Theatre Foundation
Bob Nickerson - Founder, Embassy Theatre Foundation
Bill Zabel - Founder, Embassy Theatre Foundation
Fort Wayne Walk-of-Fame at the Embassy Theatre
Back to top
Engine House No. 3
A Romanesque Revival style fire house designed by the architectural firm of Wing & Mahurin. With arched doorways and stall openings in brick, and a stone belt course above a row of brick dentils on the main façade. In its day, it was the largest and best-equipped fire station in town, also served as a testing site for new equipment and firefighting methods. Last used as a fire station in 1972. It currently houses the Fort Wayne Firefighter’s Museum and the Old No. 3 Firehouse Café.
Became a Meadow Gold dairy- Fairfield at Baker Street in the 1960s, published baby photos in early to mid-20th century newspapers. 1910s photo posted February 24, 2015 on the original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook. February 4, 2017 with January 12, 1999 The Journal Gazette newspaper article posted January 21, 2018 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.
A January 4, 2023 photo posted by the Genealogy Center on Facebook stating:
Wayback Wednesday! Are you dreaming of warm, summer days? Kids would come running when they saw Ralph E. Beard's Eskay Dairy truck as he would pass out ice chips to them on hot summer days in Fort Wayne! This picture from 1956 is courtesy of the Harter collection in our Community Album. Check it out here: Ralph Edward Beard giving out ice chips in the Allen County Public Library Digital Collections at the Allen County Public Library. Shared January 4, 2023 on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook.
A number of business explosions have occured over the years. July 12, 2017, October 26, 2017 discussions on explosion near Glenbrook Mall regarding Hansen Barrels, Hanchar Recycling, Gladiux refinery in the 1980s and Explosion Search on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.
William G. Ewing's house on the northwest corner of Berry and Ewing Streets was built in 1838.
The three-story brick mansion was considered to be one of the finest examples of Greek Revival architecture in Fort Wayne. In April 1948, the home was purchased for $57,000 by the Fort Wayne-Allen County chapter of the American Red Cross from then-owners Dr. and Mrs. Don F. Cameron. The building housed several commercial tenants, and the Red Cross planned to move all its operations and activities, including the community blood center, into the site about a year later. Copied from This Day in History April 12 in photos published April 12, 2018 by The News-Sentinel newspaper. 1854 Initial Construction photos and some information at the Library of Congress Historic American Buildings Survey, Engineering Record, Landscapes Survey. The Library of Congressphotos posted April 6, 2019 on
You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.
Ewing Tavern or Washington Hall
Where the Allen County government started in a log tavern of Alexander Ewing off Columbia Street at the muddy intersection of Columbia and Barr streets in 1824. No longer there, it would now be the backyard of the Fort Wayne Civic Theatre and Fort Wayne Museum of Art. The Ewing Tavern site is at stop #19 The Beginnings of Fort Wayne on the ARCH ( Architecture and Community Heritage) Central Downtown Trail.
Back to top