4.5 acres since 1937. In June of 1933 the Park Board purchased from George B. Buist, with the Packard Piano Company the land which is now known as Packard Park. The land was purchased for $12,000. Copied from Packard Park at City of Fort Wayne Parks & Recreation. The Humpty Dumpty drive-in restaurant closed since the 1980s at Fairfield and Packard Avenues is visible in the background.
Packard Piano and Organ Company
Was established in 1871 when the founder Isaac Packard an organ builder in Chicago left after the Chicago fire October 10, 1871 destroyed his buisness.
According to local legend, Packard then boarded a train and told the conductor to let him out when the money ran out. His fare ran out in Fort Wayne. His new company Fort Wayne Organ Company produced Packard Orchestrals. He died in 1873, but his company continued until people could no longer afford pianos during the Great Depression when the company went out of business.
A few years after the company closed, the City of Fort Wayne bought the property, tore down the buildings, and made it into a city park- Packard Park. Copied from Packard Pianos by Carmen Doyle published March 5, 2013 in the History Center Notes & Queries blog.
February 28, 2024 post by the Genealogy Center on Facebook:
It's #waybackwednesday! Take a look at these photos of the Packard Piano Company, showing the exterior of the factory and employees working inside the factory.
It's #waybackwednesday! Take a look at these photos of the Packard Piano Company, showing the exterior of the factory and employees working inside the factory.
The company was located on the Northeast corner of Fairfield and Organ Ave (later Kinsmoor Ave.), the site of present day Packard Park.
View these images and more in our Community Album: Packard Piano search results
Neighborhoods of the 07 posted a Steve Tyler comment November 30, 2019 on Facebook.
Steve Tyler June 28, 2018 Twitter Tweet about the organ.
I WROTE THE MUSIC WHEN I WAS 17 ON A PUMP ORGAN IN SUNAPPEE, NH...WROTE THE LYRICS IN 2 DAYS AT A HOTEL AT BOSTON LOGAN AIRPORT...SANG IT LIVE FOR THE FIRST TIME AT THE SHABOO INN, CT...AND GOT TO SING IT AGAIN TONIGHT...45 YEARS TO THE DAY OF ITS RELEASE... IN MOTOR CITY USA... pic.twitter.com/K7nrFdNiab— Steven Tyler (@IamStevenT) June 28, 2018
Packard Organ and Piano Company ca. 1910
By Randy Harter
Fort Wayne Reader
When Isaac T. Packard’s organ factory in Chicago was destroyed in the horrific fire that leveled over three square miles of that city, he relocated the factory to Fort Wayne in October 1871. With the assistance of a group of prominent local investors that included Charles McCulloch, Steven Bond, John Bass and Judge Lindley Ninde, the Fort Wayne Organ Company was incorporated the next month, and in December the was ground broken for the four-story brick plant on Fairfield Avenue. Four months later, in April 1872, the factory was built and the first of what would come to be thousands elaborate ornate reed organs were completed. Sadly, just two years later in September of 1873, Isaac died, yet, in the hands of Steven Bond, and later his son Albert, the company would continue to flourish, later changing the name to the Packard Organ Company in 1889.
After introducing their first piano in 1893, the company’s line of pianos grew to include a number of upright, player, grand and baby grand models. They produced their last organ in 1914; in order to reflect their reconfigured product line, in 1915 they renamed the growing concern The Packard Piano Company. With over 300 workers, the company could produce between 3,000-4,000 pianos per year, and offered models in Cherry, Maple, Mahogany, and Black Walnut. As the company grew, so too did the development of the South Wayne area, and as part of their expansion Packard had offices in Kansas City, MO; London, England; Hamburg, Germany and Melbourne, Australia. Beginning in 1911, they also began producing pianos under the “Bond” brand as a less expensive alternative to the more elaborate “Packard” models.
Packard later expanded into building wood cabinets for the nascent radio and television manufacturing market. The depression hit in 1930, and, like many other piano manufacturers (as well as the companies Packard made the radio cabinets for), Packard went into receivership, thus ending 59 years in business. The Packard name was revived for a time when piano makers Story & Clark purchased rights to the trademark in 1938; while no longer made in Fort Wayne, they manufactured models using the Packard label into the 1950’s.
In June 1933 the Park Board purchased the former Packard factory grounds, and after removing the buildings and adding improvements, opened it as Packard Park in 1937. Today, the 4.5 acre Packard Park features a modern pavilion, tennis courts, playground equipment, and a baseball diamond.
(Image courtesy Todd Baron Collection)
Randy Harter is a Fort Wayne historian, author, and tour guide for Fort Wayne Food Tours.
The marker is located in the northwest corner of Packard Park, which opened in 1937 where the piano company once stood. In the years after World War II, the park hosted games by the Fort Wayne Daisies of the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League.Copied from COMMEMORATING THE PACKARD PIANO & ORGAN COMPANY July 5, 2019 by The Waynedale News Staff at The Waynedale News.com.
- Illustrated catalogue, Packard organs: Manufactured by the Fort Wayne Organ Co. 15 page booklet at the Indiana State Library Trade Catalogs.
- Oakdale History Presents: The Packard Piano Company by Melissa Hitzemann on Historic Oakdale Neighborhood Association.
December 6, 2011 post by the original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook:
The Packard Piano & Organ Company was originally established in 1871 as Packard Organ Company by Isaac Packard in Fort Wayne, Indiana. In 1879, Albert S. Bond joined the firm. Packard only built organs until 1893, incorporating pianos into their line in about 1894 and changing the name of the company to Packard Piano & Organ Company. They started out offering upright and baby grand pianos, adding player pianos in the first decade of the twentieth century. Packard was known for building very high quality pianos, and they were known for their frequent use of lavish woods and elegant cabinet design styles. In addition to the Packard brand name, the firm built pianos under the names of Bond Piano Company and Elsinger Piano Company. Packard managed to survive the Great Depression, but they were purchased by the larger Story & Clark Piano Company in 1938. Story & Clark continued to build pianos under the Packard name until the middle of the 20th Century
- 100-year-old Packard is a long way from home story about a restored Packard piano posted January 22, 2013 on The Journal Gazette newspaper.
- Packard Company History archived on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.
- A short video with photos and history about the new park plaque was on original Perfect Pitch by Eric Olson, 21Country Featured Reporter posted July 4, 2019 on 21AliveNews.com archived on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.
September 5, 2019 post by The History Center on Facebook:
Music is a major form of entertainment in the United States. One way music is enjoyed is through the piano and Fort Wayne has a connection to the popularity of this magnificent instrument through the Packard Piano Company. After the Great Chicago Fire, Isaac T. Packard relocated to Fort Wayne and established the Fort Wayne Organ Company in 1871, which would become the Packard Piano Company about 1907. Produced at its plant at Packard and Fairfield Avenues, the company’s use of fine woods and elegant cabinet design styles earned them a reputation for producing high quality musical instruments. In addition to the Packard brand name, the firm built pianos under the names of Bond Piano Company and Elsinger Piano Company. One model made was the Bond Player Piano Style 3 (on display at the History Center), last patented on 20 November 1917; the ivory keys can be played by a pianist or operated by foot pedals to pump air through a rotating paper roll which actuated the keys to play a chosen medley. Bond Pianos were a more economical line of pianos produced by Packard for consumers looking for high quality at a lower price. The Packard name managed to survive the Great Depression, but the local factory closed in 1930, ending a 59 year tradition. The property was sold to the city of Fort Wayne in 1937 and was developed as Packard Park. Today we celebrate National Piano Month by sharing some Packard Piano items from our collection. #sociallyhistory
- 150 years: Packard organ maker key legacy for city by Ashley Sloboda published April 4, 2022 in The Journal Gazette newspaper.
- Discussed November 13, 2022 on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook.
126 E. Washington Boulevard, the corner of Clinton Street and Washington Boulevard. April 23, 1957 the building's owners announced it would be razed to make room for a parking lot. The second-oldest theater in the city, it cost $200,000 to build and seated 1,700. It was dedicated January 25, 1915, and at the time was devoted exclusively to vaudeville, then in its heyday. Copied from THIS DAY IN HISTORY: April 23 in photos published April 23, 2018 in The News-Sentinel newspaper. The block is now home to the Civic Center Parking Garage for the Grand Wayne Center and other downtown events from a June 9, 2022 post with photos and information on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook. See Cinema Treasures, comments on Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana, photo and discussion April 17, 2017 by Randy Harter, Fort Wayne historian and authoron You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook. See Photo Record on The Indiana Album and same photo with discussion May 16, 2017 on the original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook. 1957 photo of Civic Theatre sign covering the Palace sign posted May 19, 2017 on DasFort on Facebook. See local Theaters such as the Broadway Theatre, Clyde Theatre, Embassy Theatre, Holiday Theater, Jefferson Theatre, Lyric Theatre, Majestic Theatre, Palace Theatre, Paramount Theatre, and Rialto Theatre. Theatre versus Theater trivia. Some say the spelling Theatre refers to a focus on live performances while Theater refers to the physical place. Others say it is the British spelling versus American spelling.
Richard Stamats 1964 cropped photo from the Lincoln Tower
The image above was posted June 19, 2022 by Randy Harter, Fort Wayne historian and authoron True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook. Randy was discussing the Palace Theater/Civic Theater E. Washington in relation to the corner with Clinton Street. He found this photo showing the Palace Theater (bottom 4th label from left) that Richard Stamats took from the top of the Lincoln Tower in 1964 that shows that block and Randy fiddled around labeling it.
The Richard Stamats video below shows the Palace Theater/Civic Theater E. Washington photo above morphing from his 1964 photo into a 2017 Daniel Baker photo back and forth from 15-seconds to around 50-seconds. Richard Stamats flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/stamats and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/richard.stamats
Designed by Alvin M. Strauss. See ACPL 1950 photo , said to be more luxurious than the Embassy Theatre. See ACPL 1951 interior photo. The wurlitzer organ ended up in a Tacoma, Washington restaurant destroyed by fire August 3, 1999. A special section was published in the October 3, 1930 in The News-Sentinel newspaperwhen it opened at 121 E. Wayne Street. Paramount Theatre 121 E. Wayne Street, had one screen and 2,086 seats from Cinema Treasures has some information and comments. One comment says Paul F. Nachtigall, was the sculptor who created and carved the molds for the bas-releif plasterwork inside the Emboyd (Embassy Theatre) and the Paramount in Fort Wayne from the special section about the Paramount when it opened on October 3, 1930. Several comments mention links like the Allen County Public Library Digital Collections at the Allen County Public Libraryphotos of the 1950 Fire Prevention Week lines outside and the 1951 inside crowd. Also this one to Puget Sound Pipeline Online about the Pizza and Pipes Restaurant in Tacoma, Washington with photos of the
beautiful "Balaban" style Wurlitzer [pipe organ that] was originally installed in 1927 in the Paramount Theatre, Fort Wayne Indiana. It was at the restaurant from 1974-1999 when the restaurant was destroyed August 3, 199 in a fire. It includes links to more photos after the fire and newspaper stories. City's Past Illuminated Through Historic Lighting Fixtures Jim Saxton worked at the Paramount Theatre rescues historic light fixtures by Julia Meek published February 1, 2017 on WBOI.org. Photo posted and discussed September 8, 2017, September 17, 2017, November 18, 2017, lots of photos in Comments of long discussion September 14 2018, May 24, 2019 and Paramount Name Search on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook. Photos and discussion March 30, 2022 on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook. Theatrical variety part of history published August 29, 1994 by Michael Hawfield from the Archives of The News-Sentinel newspaperdiscusses this and other local theatres. See local Theaters such as the Broadway Theatre, Clyde Theatre, Embassy Theatre, Holiday Theater, Jefferson Theatre, Lyric Theatre, Majestic Theatre, Palace Theatre, Paramount Theatre, and Rialto Theatre. Theatre versus Theater trivia. Some say the spelling Theatre refers to a focus on live performances while Theater refers to the physical place. Others say it is the British spelling versus American spelling.
TinCaps baseball stadium named September 11, 2008 opened April 16, 2009 from History of Parkview Field. Come on In A view of Parkview Field special insert published April 15, 2009 and Parkview Field Downtown jewel shines published April 17, 2009 in The Journal Gazette newspaper. An Allen County Public Libraryaccount is needed to read the article online through the ProQuest web site. See Parkview Park – a Fort Wayne Treasure on Visit Fort Wayne blog. Golden Pen – March Downtown magnolia worth saving April 7, 2013 The Journal Gazette newspaper. Video posted April 9, 2017 by Tom Mauger on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook. There are a couple of interesting newspaper opinions on the failure or success of this venture in the May 14, 2007 The Journal Gazette newspaper posted December 17, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook. The millionth non-baseball attendee passed through the gates in 2017 was stated on the Fort Wayne Town Hall by Inside INdiana Business with Gerry Dick broadcast December 17, 2017 on 21AliveNews.com. A preview was posted December 15, 2017 on Inside INdiana Business on Facebook. See Fort Wayne Franchise History posted August 30, 2011 at MILB.com.
See our sections on Baseball, Camp Allen Park, Fort Wayne Daisies, League Park, Kekionga Ball Grounds, Fort Wayne Kekionga Baseball Team, Parkview Field, Fort Wayne TinCaps, and Fort Wayne Wizards.
April 5, 2023 post by Fort Wayne TinCaps on Facebook:
"Regardless of how well the team plays and even beyond the entertainment between innings, the legacy and momentum created by Parkview Field can be felt throughout Downtown."
April 9, 2023 post by Input Fort Wayne is at Parkview Field on Facebook:
Spring has arrived in Fort Wayne. Flowers are blooming; wildlife is reappearing; and parks and trails are slowly filling with people eager to shake off the winter blues.
In Downtown Fort Wayne, a new season is about to begin, too: Baseball season.
The city has a rich history with baseball, home to the first professional game in 1871, and to fabled teams, like the Fort Wayne Daisies, who helped inspire the film “A League of Their Own.” In many ways, the TinCaps at Parkview Field carries on this legacy today, infusing Downtown with energy and spirit that’s undeniably unique.
“It’s more than baseball,” says Kirsten Guthrie, Vice President of Marketing and Communication at Visit Fort Wayne. “It’s the experience that people have at Parkview Field that’s so exceptional.”
Regardless of how well the team plays and even beyond the entertainment between innings, the legacy and momentum created by Parkview Field can be felt throughout Downtown, where businesses, entertainment options, restaurants and retail are blooming because of its existence.
As the Fort Wayne TinCaps return to the field on April 11 for the first of 66 home games slated for the 2023 season, we explore the rich history of baseball in Fort Wayne, the magic that makes Parkview Field so special, and how America’s favorite pastime has shaped our city over the years.
Read it here: https://www.inputfortwayne.com/.../Downtown-ParkviewField...
February 20, 2023 post by Hidden View Photography on Facebook:
#tincaps stadium with skyline during sunset. #fortwayne
Parkview Memorial Hospital Randallia
2200 Randallia Dr, Fort Wayne, IN, www.parkview.com/, www.parkview.com/locations/parkview-hospital-randallia/parkview-hospital-randallia, Street View photo from Google map
Started July 21, 1878 as Fort Wayne City Hospital in the former Purman mansion on the corner of Hanna and Lewis streets. October 19,[31?] 1878 Fort Wayne City Hospital opened briefly in the residence of William S. Edsall on West Main Street, them moved to the corner of Hanna and Lewis Streets for 5 years. 1883 moved to former homestead of Oliver S. Hanna at the southwest corner of Barr Street and Washington Boulevard. 1891 (officially 1900) renamed Hope Hospital after large donations from the Jesse Williams family. 1917 opened at a new location 119 West Lewis Street. 1918 Indianapolis Methodist Episcopal Hospital took control and renamed Hope Methodist. 1922 renamed Methodist Hospital.
November 8, 2022 post by Electric Works on Facebook:
November 8, 1953
Parkview Memorial Hospital was dedicated at Randallia and State. GE and its employees contributed $470,000 toward the total project cost of $3 million to help build this first location of what eventually became Northeast Indiana's largest healthcare network.
November 8, 2022 post by Electric Works on Facebook:
On November 8, 1953, Parkview Memorial Hospital was dedicated at Randallia and State. Of the $3 million project cost, $470,000 was contributed by GE and GE employees to help build this key part of what eventually became Northeast Indiana's biggest healthcare network. #FWEWHistory
#History #FortWayneElectricWorks #ElectricWorks
Moved November 21, 1953 from Methodist Hospital into the new Parkview Memorial Hospital on Randalia Avenue and State Boulevard shown in July 21, 1978 100th Anniversary of Parkview Hospital in the The Journal Gazette newspaper posted September 21, 2017 and additional July 25, 1978 newspaper articles posted October 5, 2017, and October 12, 2017, then March 11, 2007 article posted November 2, 2017 on building the new Parkview North article by Hofer and Davis, Inc. Land Surveyors on Facebook. 1990's removed Memorial from its name. March 2012 Parkview opened its new Regional Medical Center at I-69 and Dupont Road from Parkview opens its modern marvel March 18, 2012 by Steve Penhollow of The Journal Gazette newspaper.
- Parkview's Proud Predecessors 30 plus page article at The Genealogy Center at the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Methodist Hospital - Parkview Hospital early history from 1878 from Indiana Story Tellers on Archive.org Wayback Machine.
Back to top
The following videos are from the The history of Parkview blog at Parkview Health.
October 5, 2017 post by Hofer and Davis, Inc. Land Surveyors on Facebook:
A couple of weeks ago we shared some pictures from the 100 year anniversary for Parkview Hospital on "Throwback Thursday". Here is another page from the July 25, 1978 edition of THE FORT WAYNE JOURNAL - GAZETTE. The picture is of Clyde Cover in 1953 at the dedication of the Parkview Memorial Hospital on Randallia and State at a cost of 3 million. Hofer and Davis, Inc. is proud to provide the surveying services to PARKVIEW HEALTH SYSTEM, INC. for over 60 years in Whitley, LaGrange, Huntington, Noble, Wabash and Allen Counties! Including the 500 million dollar (Yes, half a billion) Parkview Regional Medical Center and the 80 million dollar Cancer Center nearing completion.
October 12, 2017 post by Hofer and Davis, Inc. Land Surveyors on Facebook:
For "Throwback Thursday" we share the Cover of the July 25, 1978 Fort Wayne Journal - Gazette circular celebrating the 100 th Anniversary of Parkview Memorial Hospital. In 2011 Hofer and Davis, Inc. prepared a topographical survey for the "Main Entrance" redesign by Vintage Archonics, which has completely changed it's look today!
Parkview Regional Medical Center
New Vision: The Parkview Regional Medical Center a WFWA TV39 PBS Fort Wayne Special | 57m 47s Learn about the history of Parkview Memorial Hospital in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Aired: 03/14/12 Rating: NR.
Back to top
November 2, 2017 post by Hofer and Davis, Inc. Land Surveyors on Facebook:
For "Throwback Thursday" we share this article from THE FORT WAYNE JOURNAL - GAZETTE on March 11, 2007 regarding the expansion plans at "Parkview North". Hofer and Davis, Inc. kept very busy providing all the surveying services at what is now known as The Parkview Regional Medical Center or PRMC. The Cancer Center is now well on it's way to be completed.
Fort Wayne has nearly 90 parks since the first 1863 Old Fort Park, are physically intertwined with local trail system and the 3 local rivers. Fort Wayne Area Parks on Visit Fort Wayne has a four part series on local parks. List of parks in Fort Wayne, Indiana at Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia
Parrot Packing Company
Started by Francis Joseph Parrot. His family history is on genealogy.com. 1920 photo is on Allen County Public Library Digital Collections at the Allen County Public Library. The 1920 photo and brief discusison on the original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook.
Paula’s On Main
1732 West Main Street Fort Wayne, IN 46808, phone: (260) 424-2300. Two-story restaurant housed in an old factory building. Read more on the VisitFortWayne.com blog - Taking a Tour of Fort Wayne’s Historical Restaurants! posted on January 10, 2013 by Heather.
May 5, 2023 post by Weigand Construction on Facebook:
Could you imagine living and working in this building one day?
After several large, successful concrete pours, the team at The Pearl continues to take the project upwards!
We're starting to see framing for rooms on the first floor go up while work on the parking garage carries on.
There will be great opportunities for businesses, retailers, restaurants, and live music once this build is complete. As with so many of the projects happening in downtown Fort Wayne, we're proud to invest in the growth and innovation taking place in the heart of this city!
#dronevideo #update #thepearlfw
August 22, 2023 post by Weigand Construction on Facebook:
This week, our crew celebrated hitting a new milestone at @thepearlfw!
Having completed the frame of the building, we all got to watch as the final support beam was installed, bringing a successful close to this chapter of the construction phase.
The Pearl will feature residential apartments, live/work storefronts, a coffee shop, an on-site fitness center, and much more.
"It's going to be a further expansion of the downtown and particularly of The Landing." - Chuck Surack, Founder and CEO, Surack Enterprises
With building scheduled to be completed in a year, we can't wait to see what this new addition brings to the downtown skyline!
#thepearl #mixeduse #toppingout
The Pearl Arts
https://pearlarts.org/. A Foundation for Opportunity. Located in the eastern third of the old Perfection Bakery site at Pearl Street and Maiden Lane in downtown Fort Wayne is Pearl Street Arts Center, Northeast Indiana’s new community arts and education destination, scheduled to open in the summer of 2024. Pearl Arts is the vision of local businessman and philanthropist Chuck Surack and a small group of committed volunteers who are creating a one-of-a-kind interactive community arts hub, and a new center for musical life in Fort Wayne and Northeast Indiana.
August 21, 2023 post by Hagerman on Facebook:
Check out the progress at the new fine arts building for Pearl Arts, Inc. This project is an extensive renovation of the original Perfection Bakery building in downtown Fort Wayne, IN. #BuildingABetterFuture #ConstructionSolutionsProvider
February 25, 2023 post by Wabash County Historian on Facebook:
THERE ARE JUST SOME PLACES YOU CAN’T HELP REMEMBERING. This is the very first Penguin Point in the franchise. It started right here in Wabash in 1950 when the Stouder brothers (Wallace and Lloyd) opened their first store at the junction of State Roads 13 and 15 today. Although it has changed there is still one at this location.
They are known throughout northern Indiana for their Tenderloin sandwich, Big Wally, chicken and the best fries in the area made from Idaho potatoes. Anna Easterday says ‘Lord when I come to Indiana this is the first restaurant that we eat at. Love the Big Wally and Fries. Wish I had one right now.”
Carolyn Streby adds this to the story of Penguin Point “Dad (Lloyd Stouder) used their refrigerator payment to have petty cash to open. Mom (Leta Stouder) and Aunt Mary Stouder car hopped. Dad ran the fountain. Uncle Wally the grill. As far as the location at 13&15 it was a corn field. Dad bugged the farmer to the point that he finally caved and sold part of the field at 13&15. Only one problem. The bank wouldn't loan the money without a cosigner. So Grandpa and Grandma Wilber Stouder cosigned. And thus began the adventure of Penguin Point. In 1950 the double decker burger wasn't called "Big Wally" it much much later. It was a called ‘Fad Burger.’
“My father, on his own decided to go to Warsaw and start his own Penguin. Uncle Wally bought out my dad's share. So each owned their own Penguin. Wally Wabash Lloyd Warsaw exclusively. It was 1955, I was a teenager. I started working for mom and dad at 14 washing dishes. At 15, I started car hoping at .35 an hour +tips. Later .50. PP was the. BOMB to go to. My teen years was so much Fun.
“All teens hung out there, driving those beautiful 57 Chevy cars and other customized cars which we named. My car was named "Kitty. Another "Chicken Ship" another "Night Rider" etc. We wrote the name on the back fender. If you wanted to locate a certain teen, head to P.P. 10 to 1 they were there circling the building.”
Judy Garst Schramm says " This is how it looked when I worked there in the summer of 1959. Loved their Big Wallys and breaded tenderloins - oh yes, and fresh strawberry pie!" Beth Rigney has "Memories of this place: Scoop the loop was the weekend and Wed. nights during the summer. This was a way to meet others from other schools for dates. I met my husband there as well." May Lou McCallum adds "Love love this place! Have to stop whenever in Wabash! Remember sitting in our cars watching people and talking to everyone, while having a cherry coke."
Bob Marks recalls "That very first summer, 1950, I was 10 and lived on the South Side. Duke Gidley and I would ride our bikes out there on a then gravel Hale Lane and pick up the trash and junk on the lot! We each got a quarter for this job. Pretty good money for an hours+ work in those days!"
Aaron Proffitt adds "I worked there in 1960. I remember breading tenderloin by the big box full. Also hand squeezed boxes of lemons and made lemonade five gallons at a time in a 5 gallon cream can. My starting wage was $.40 an hour. We called the big burger a Wally 5 x 5."
- A restaurant franchise out of Warsaw, Kosciusko County, only one left of formerly several in the city were discussed August 12, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.
- Penguin Point closes 7 locations across northern Indiana, including Fort Wayne Aaron Organ, Nov 21, 2022 on CBS WANE-TV NewsChannel 15.
- Penguin Point announces closure of Fort Wayne location, 6 others The last Penguin Point location in Fort Wayne has closed its doors for good., Jazlynn Bebout, Nov. 21, 2022 on 21AliveNews.com.
- Penguin Point (restaurant chain) on Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.
Penney, J. C.
The November 7, 1927 The Journal Gazette newspaper showed a drawing of a new store opening at 1208-1210 South Calhoun Street posted December 12, 2018 in You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook. The founder J. C. Penney came to Fort Wayne in 1932 to speak at a meeting with representatives from 19 stores in Indiana, Michigan and Ohio. He had 1,477 stores nationwide with annual sales of $175,000,000. He opened his first store in Kemmerer, Wyoming on an initial investment of $500.
The Pennsy depot was razed in 1966. In its final years it was owned by Grieger Chevrolet; its lot used to store used cars. From The Pennsy Shops by Kevin Leininger from the archives of The News-Sentinel newspaper. See photo and discussion February 13, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook. Photo of the Marching Band and Blacksmiths at the shop posted March 16, 2017 discussion and 1930 photo machine shop workers posted April 20, 2017 discussion on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.
People's Trust Bank
People's Trust and Savings Company,
Fort Wayne, Indiana, circa 1960 -
Joan Hostetler Collection - Indiana Album
- Piece of the past will overlook downtown, new ballpark People's Trust Clock Adds to the Amenities Downtown at City of Fort Wayne.
- People's Trust and Savings Company, Fort Wayne, Indiana, circa 1960 photo in the Joan Hostetler Collection at The Indiana Albumis found on several social media discusions.
- Photos and discussion January 1, 2017, downtown clock February 13, 2017and July 28, 2017 photo of clock at Baker Street Station on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.
- The geodesic dome photo and discussion July 20, 2017by Fort Wayne Food Tours on Facebook. Photos of remaining buildings were posted May 2, 2019 by the Indiana Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology on Facebook with a comment by historian Craig Leonard stating:
The form was used to promote a new product, "pyramid accounts," by the People's Trust and Savings Bank. The engineer was Lev Zettlin, who gave a lecture at Ball State. He also worked on the Sears Tower in Chicago.
- A January 8, 2023 post with the geodesic dome photo generatined over 100 comments on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook stated:
Anyone recall the specific location of The Peoples Trust & Savings/Summit Bank. I think it was on Coliseum… Edit: I’m just asking about this one specifically. I know there are a number of Pyramid banks around the FW area (North Anthony, Tillman, West State) which have mostly been identified. I’m just trying to get more info about this lost gem that’s been replaced with a *checks notes* Panera Bread. A comment by Joan Hostetler shows a 1972 view called the California Road Branch from the Jack Smith Collection.
Opened in 1973 sold equipment like rock band Rush wearing its shirt. Owner Neal Graham died December 23, 2012. Rock n’ roll stories from Fort Wayne’s past Big names. Big events. Brushes with fame… 2011-02-06 by Michael Summers.
Perfection Biscuit Company
503 Ewing Street, 1913 started as Wayne Biscuit Company. Sunbeam bread was started April 26, 1942 with the iconic 1957 rotating Sunbean bread sign . Since 2005 is called Aunt Millies Bakery.
A natural gas explosion at Phelps Dodge on New Haven Avenue happened August 23, 1966 killing 2 and injured 22. A different explosion also occurred in February 1966 on Broadway.
An explosion at the Phelps Dodge gas plant in Fort Wayne kills five and causes $5 million in damage.was stated in the 1960-1969: Timeline from the Fort Wayne History archives of The News-Sentinel newspaper.
- Photo of an Aerial view of the natural gas explosion at Phelps Dodge Wire Company in the office building on New Haven Ave.. Date 08/23/1966 and more Fire Fighter photos from a Phelps Dodge Explosion Search at Allen County Public Library Digital Collections at the Allen County Public Library.
- 4 DIE IN EXPLOSION. STILL SEARCH FOR BODIES AT FORT WAYNE. Fort Wayne, IN Office Building Explosion, Aug 1966 posted June 17th, 2009 by Stu Beitler from the Kokomo Tribune Indiana newspaper 1966-08-24 on GenDisasters.com.
- Photos were posted and discussed August 8, 2017, November 22, 2017, July 10, 2018, May 15, 2019, and Phelps Dodge Explosion Search on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.
- Former police reporter remembers blast that killed two in 1966 by Sheryl Kreig was published October 7, 2017 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.
Philmore on Broadway
2441 Broadway, now closed, formerly philmoreonbroadway.com, and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PhilmoreonBroadway/. The Broadway Theater opened November 5th, 1923, as one of five ‘neighborhood’ theaters in Fort Wayne, and the only one located on Broadway; a major commercial strip at the time. The theater changed names over the years, but ran successfully for almost 60 years. It was renamed Indiana Theater in 1934 which closed November 9, 1969. December 19, 1969 opened as Theatre A, then in the 1970s operated as Cinema Blue, an X-rated theater, agreeing to close in 1985. The building became home to a restaurant in 1998, called the Catablu Gourmet American Grill closing May 29, 2009. It then became a jazz club known as The Philmore on Broadway. Cinema Treasures has several comments - one cites newspaper articles
New Broadway Theater in the November 3, 1923 The News-Sentinel newspaperand
Indiana Theater Closes Nov. 9 by Cindy Pond in the October 27, 1969 The Journal Gazette newspaper. Discussed May 31, 2016 on You know you've lived in Fort Wayne too long when... Private Facebook group.
See telephone booth.
Named for Michael Pierre, an early French settler from Bettnig France who was interred in Pierre Settlement aka Saint Michael's Roman Catholic Cemetery cemetery in 1871 now on Saint Joseph Center Road.
Piggly-Wiggly Stores, J G Saunders mgr, office 124 W Main. from page 814 and another is on page 892 " Justus G (Eppie), mgr Piggly-Wiggly Stores, h[ouse] 621 W Jefferson in the 1922 Fort Wayne City Directory on Archive.org.
Piggly Wiggly®, America’s first true self-service grocery store, was founded in Memphis, Tennessee in 1916 by Clarence Saunders. In grocery stores of that time, shoppers presented their orders to clerks who then gathered the goods from the store shelves. Saunders, a dynamic and innovative man, noticed that this method resulted in wasted time and expense, so he came up with an unheard-of solution that would revolutionize the entire grocery industry: he developed a way for shoppers to serve themselves.
Despite predictions that his novel idea would fail, Saunders’ first store opened on September 6, 1916 at 79 Jefferson Street in Memphis. Operating under the unusual name ‘Piggly Wiggly®’, it was unlike any other contemporary grocery store. There were shopping baskets, open shelves, and no clerks to shop for the customer – all of which were previously unheard of!
Copied from Our History on one of two Piggly Wiggly websites: https://www.pigglywiggly.com/history/ versus: https://www.pigglywigglystores.com/about
Kroger appears to have entered Fort Wayne in the late 1920s by purchasing a chain called Hoosier [Stores]. Piggly Wiggly disappeared from the city at the same time as Hoosier (and one PW also became a Kroger), so perhaps Hoosier was running those stores as well. Copied from Fort Wayne, IN chain grocery/supermarket locations, 1925-87 on Groceteria. Fort Wayne Historical Chain Locations (Groceteria.com) spreadsheet lists local stores shown on Fort Wayne Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1925-2015 Google Map. There is a Piggly Wiggly for Fort Wayne Indiana Change.org petition.
September 3, 2022 post by Smithsonian Magazine" on Facebook:
Piggly Wiggly's founding is one of the stranger stories in the history of retail.
The Bizarre Story of Piggly Wiggly, the First Self-Service Grocery Store What’s in a name? by Kat Eschner posted September 6, 2017 on Smithsonianmag.com.
February 26, 2013 post by the original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook:
1925 - lists eight stores: 126 West Main Street, 1002 Broadway, 2039 Fairfield Avenue, 341 E. Lewis Street, 1902 and 2602 South Calhoun Street, 1406 Columbia Avenue and 1225 State Boulevard.
December 9, 2020 post by Dead Fred's Genealogy Photo Archive on Facebook:
1920′s Interior of a Piggly-Wiggly food store. They were out in front of the modern notion of the shopper picking their own groceries. Earlier, the shopper simply gave their list to the storekeeper who would themselves pull items from the shelves and bag them up.
September 7, 2023 post by ARCH, Inc. on Facebook:
The Miller’s Drug Store Building c. 1910/1968, 2135 Wells Street, is a good example of a nearly unaltered 20th Century Commercial style building. Now home to Moring Floral, it’s not necessarily architecturally notable but is important because it is relatively unaltered and an asset to the community. Few of these neighborhood retail stores are still standing as modern commercial districts and neighborhoods have surrounded them. The building has rectangular massing, variegated yellow brick walls, original wood display windows and 3/4 glazed door. The building has an interesting retail background. In 1927 the building was a Piggly Wiggly Store, but by 1930 the Miller Family had turned it into a drugstore. It remained a drugstore until 2015 and is currently the Moring Florist Shop. ARCH is proud to present this edition of Throwback Thursday, part of its work as the historic preservation organization serving the greater Fort Wayne area, made possible by ARCH members and donors. Thank you.
Back to top
Image from a May 7, 2019 post by The Landing Fort Wayne on Facebook stated:
Pinex cough syrup. Originally made at 123 Columbia Street, street is now called The Landing. William H. Noll started the Pinex Company in 1905. This company manufactured a cough remedy called “Pinex” which, by 1910, could be purchased in nearly any drugstore in the United States. In 1960 Revlon, Inc. while expanding its operations in the proprietary drug field, purchased the Pinex Company. Copied from Pinex Company, Ft. Wayne, IN posted September 5, 2013 by Jessica on Old Main Artifacts has many photos and images of advertising, including a song on a Pinex calendar, Pinex laxative and several dozen comments from relatives and others.
Discussed July 15, 2018 and again July 15, 2018 in a general Pinex Search on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.
In addition to alcohol and oil of pine tar, one of the main ingredients in Pinex was chloroform. This substance has since been banned by the FDA for human consumption, as while unknown at the time it is now considered a probable carcinogen. From an article on our Noll Mansion Places page.
March 5, 2012 photo posted on the original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook.
Today the Pirogue Landing is the intersection of Superior and Lafayette streets near the river bridge. It is mentioned on page 234 as one of 13 times
pirogue is mentioned in the book The pictorial history of Fort Wayne, Indiana : a review of two centuries of occupation of the region about the head of the Maumee River by Griswold, B. J. (Bert Joseph), 1873-1927; Taylor, Samuel R., Mrs, Publication date 1917 on Archive.org.
Pirogue Landing is (Stop #12) on the Central Downtown Trail 19 stops on the Heritage Trail by ARCH ( Architecture and Community Heritage). Google map Street viewshows the location of the Pirogue Landing marker in the lawn near the river and the Old Gas House restaurant parking lot stating:
Terminal point where French-Canadian boats, hollowed from 30-60 foot poplar logs, brought families and cargo up the Maumee River from Toledo and Detroit, and returned furs to Lake Erie in exchange for trader’s supplies from the late 1700s until the canal era of the 1840s. Piroque Landing at The Historical Marker Datatbase HMdb.org. Piroque Landing by Tom Castaldi, local historianpublished January 16, 2014 in the History Center Notes & Queries blog.
Piroque mentions besides the 13 mentions in Griswold's book above include:
- Angeline Chapeteau Peltier-Griswold, born 1790, at age 17 arrived in Fort Wayne in a pirogue from Detroit with her grandparents in 1804.
The trip from Toledo to this place he made in a piroque upon the river as far as the rapids.in the February 24, 1891 obituary of Peter F. Barrand An Old Pioneer of the County Passes to His Eternal Home in the Besancon Chronicles at the Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana.
Pixley Relief Home
George and Sarah Pixley donated their home at 2300 Maumee Avenue to the Relief Union in 1918. In 1920 it was given the name Pixley Relief Home. A full page newspaper article Opening of the Pixley Relief Home Begins the Fifty-fifth Year of Local Union's Endeavor was in the February 2, 1919 The Journal Gazette newspaper shown below on Newspapers.com. See the timeline Origins of Headwaters Counseling for more information. At the time Maumee Avenue was part of the Lincoln Highway and the home was south of Memorial Park. A 1927 photo from Allen County Public Library Digital Collections at the Allen County Public Librarywas posted and discussed April 3, 2018 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook. The home was demolished around 1960 and is the current site of Summit Church built in 1962 at 2320 Maumee Avenue. The Home took in children whose parents couldn't take care of them as shown in the 1923 newspaper ad on the right. There are several Pixley Relief Home articles from 1919 with photos of bedrooms and more similar to the photo below on Newspapers.com. It was also mentioned in Fort Wayne man remembers Wolf & Dessauer's 'orphans' dinners' as a generous holiday gift by Kevin Kilbane published December 17, 2013 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.
A photo of the house in the September 15, 1919 News and Sentinel newspaper article was posted April 23, 2017 on the original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook.
The History page of Headwaters Counseling at 2712 South Calhoun on April 3, 2018 states:
The roots of Headwaters Counseling go back to 1873. First known as The Home for Friendless Women and Homeless Girls, or Home for the Friendless, we evolved into the Pixley Child Welfare Agency. In 1895, the Fort Wayne Associated Charities was formed and later assumed the title of Family Service Bureau. The Bureau was incorporated on January 29, 1924, under the provision of an act of the Indiana General Assembly. Homemaker Service was added to the Bureau’s function in 1938 and terminated in June 1969. In 1946, the Family Service Bureau merged with the Pixley Child Welfare Agency.
Pizza- First Sold in Fort Wayne
In the 1940's at
Tonys at Broadway and Taylor in what was later the gay nineties bar. Later moved out to Bluffton Road across from the drive-in, was called Pizza King but later Tony's Pizza. Discussed June 21, 2018 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.
Pleasant Hill Dairy
Started in 1862 and was 63 years in business from a 1925 telephone book listing discussed in a 1999 The Journal Gazette newspaper article on Eskay Dairy posted January 21, 2018 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.
Discussed March 29, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.
Goshen Avenue, 1910 photo of Ed W. Poinsette Store posted September 29, 2017 on the original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook.
Police Memorial Garden
May 13, 2015 post by Jerry Vandeveer on Facebook:
POLICE MEMORIAL ROSE GARDEN
In honor of Police Week and the Law Enforcement Officers of Fort Wayne and Allen County, we are proud to give you a preview of the new Police Memorial Rose Garden.
Located at the intersection of Baker Street and Fairfield Ave., we originally built it in 2000 as a "Thank You" to the Uniformed & Narcotics Officers and the many others who helped us reclaim our neighborhood.
For the past15 years it has also honored all Fallen Officers within Allen County by displaying their picture during the anniversary of their death.
With the reconstruction of Fairfield, Baker and Ewing, we have decided to give the garden an updated look, as well. As of 5 PM tonight, we have 19 new rose bushes of red, pink and yellow with many more to come. Some have been around for years, along Baker Street and will be transplanted there too.
The theme may be new but the
"THANK YOU TO ALL OUR OFFICERS THROUGHOUT ALLEN COUNTY WILL ALWAYS BE THERE".
July 29, 2022 post by Jerry Vandeveer on Facebook:
FYI-- POLICE MEMORIAL GARDEN
In 2000, Linda and I built this Memorial at the corner of Baker and Fairfield Ave. which we dedicated to the Police Officers who helped us save our neighborhood. Originally it was for Southwest Quadrant and Narcotics Officers but soon included all FWPD , Allen County and State Police Officers too. Over time, they all became involved in fighting the drug houses and removing prostitution from the area. ️
Redevelopment owned the property and allowed us to use it until they had a need for it. 19 years went by without a use for the land and it was sold to the current owner. He is very supportive of police and has allowed us to stay in the same location for the past 3 years. He and his brother (Steven, deceased) owned Affordable Granite on the same property and offered to help us build the new Law Enforcement/Firefighters Memorial (L.E.F.F.M.) on Wells St. They sold us the granite at cost, cut it, polished, engraved every panel and delivered it at no charge, simply because it was for our Police Officers and Firefighters and “It Was The Right Thing To Do”.
I write about this because the property is up for sale and the owner may need to remove or adjust its size to make the property more attractive for a buyer or if it does sell, the new owner may have a use for that corner of this valuable property. They may allow a substantially smaller Plaque to remain but not the large piece of property it occupies currently..
We can be sad that it may go but conversely, we must be thrilled that we were able to keep it here for 22 years, without owning it or paying rent.
We thank Redevelopment and the current owner for allowing us to use this property for all these years.
See Allen County Poor Farm.
Is located on the southwest side of Fort Wayne is a land bridge connecting the three local rivers - Saint Joseph River flows south from Michigan, St. Marys River flows northwest from Ohio, and Maumee River flows northeast through Ohio eventually to Lake Erie at Toledo, with the beginning of the Wabash River in southwest Allen County and northeast Huntington County flowing southwest to the Ohio River. Portage is
a French term for “carrying place,” denotes the route where early travelers carried their canoes from one river over to another, may have been a 9 to 25 miles long overland hike copied from The Beginnings of the Portage to the Wabash River posted June 10, 2013 by Tom Castaldi on the History Center Notes & Queries blog. See Maumee-Wabash Portage Was Once Widely Used By Indians, Traders map from the two page December 28, 1958 article in the The Journal Gazette newspaper at History Center Digital Collection on the mDON mastodon Digital Object Network. Other maps and material are available under Search: Portages--Indiana on Indiana Memory. Read about the Portage and Little River Wetlands Project that has brought bald eagles and more wildlife back to the area in A Little Wabash River and a Little River Wetland by Tom Castaldi, local historian published January 22, 2015 on the History Center Notes & Queries blog.
See the Harter Postcard Collection at the Allen County Public Library Digital Collections at the Allen County Public Library.
- Powers Hamburgers posted January 20, 2012 by Kayleen R. on the Visit Fort Wayne blog.
- The Powers family, four brothers: Leo, Clell, Harold "Jim", and Dale Powers opened their first restaurant in Dearborn, Michigan in 1935. By 1938 Dale Powers had moved to Port Huron, Michigan and opened a second Powers. Leo moved back to Northeast Indiana where the brothers grew up, and in 1940 opened the Fort Wayne location. In 1947, Leo opened a second Fort Wayne store in an industrial area. In 1980, Leo's son Rolin purchased the business, and Rolin opened a third location on a busy commercial strip in 1983. That store closed in 1989, at which time Rolin was diagnosed with cancer. Rolin died in 1990, and in 2004 the second location closed, leaving the iconic downtown restaurant as the only surviving Powers Hamburgers. The business was sold outside the family in 1999 to Mike Hall. Copied from Powers Hamburgers: A Fort Wayne, Indiana, Treasure (Just Like Major Frank Burns) with photos published August 27, 2008 on SeriousEats.com now only on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine .
June 11, 2018 post by Steve Smeltzer on Facebook:
Here's a cartoon I did that is dedicated to all my downtown worker friends in Fort Wayne
And this is our hermetically sealed break room for employees who choose to breing back food from Power's or Coney Island.]
July 5, 2022 post by Indiana Landmarks on Facebook:
We’re often told to “appreciate the little things.” It’s good advice in architecture, too, where even small landmarks offer history worth noting. Join us this month as we explore several places around Indiana where little goes a long way.
This year, George Motz, author of Hamburger America and a filmmaker The New York Times called the “foremost authority on hamburgers,” named Fort Wayne’s Powers Hamburgers as one of his top five places in the country to get a classic hamburger made just as they were a century ago. Locals, who have been flocking to the small Art Deco building on Harrison Street since 1940, would agree.
The Powers brothers—Leo, Clell, Harold, and Dale—started Powers Hamburgers in 1935 in Dearborn, Michigan, eventually expanding their burger dynasty into Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio. Though Fort Wayne once boasted three locations, today only the original 20-seat diner started by Leo Powers remains, the only restaurant from the original enterprise to still carry the Powers name. Diners sit at a small wrap-around counter with padded stools and order slider-style burgers from menu on the wall above.
Originally sold for a nickel apiece, today burgers sold at Powers are still light on the wallet: single burgers cost $1.60, and doubles cost $2.40. “It’s a good quality product at a good quality price,” says owner Michael Hall, who purchased the business from the Powers family in 1999. The ground beef is locally sourced from Fort Wayne’s Tim Didier Meats, and the burgers’ small size encourages most patrons to order three or four. : Lee Lewellen
#indianalandmarks #historicrestaurant #indianapreservation
December 27, 2023 post by 21Alive on Facebook:
After over 80 years of serving up their beloved sliders to customers in downtown Fort Wayne, Powers Hamburgers is up for sale.
Fort Wayne staple, Powers Hamburgers, up for sale
A legendary eatery in The Fort is now up for sale. A listing from NAI Hanning & Bean shows the asking price for Powers Hamburgers is $695,000. For over 80 years, Powers has been serving up their beloved sliders to customers in downtown Fort Wayne who pop in for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The restaurant makes fresh sliders with beef from Tim Didier Meats with grilled onions and cheese on a dinner roll. The diner has been a fan-favorite in downtown Fort Wayne since 1940, located off South Harrison Street. 21Alive’s Julian Teekaram visited the restaurant for a feature back in 2019, you can watch it below.
Powers Hamburgers Owner speaks on the future of the diner Kara Porzuczek December 28, 2023
October 13, 2022 photo posted by ARCH ( Architecture and Community Heritage) stating:
Dr. Carl & Henrietta Proegler House on Fairfield Avenue. This c.1870 Italianate house was the home of a well-known veteran surgeon. Born in Cologne, Germany, Dr. Proegler came to New York City in 1860. When the Civil War broke out, he offered his services. After the war, he went back to his New York practice until the Franco-German War started. He returned to Germany and was a surgeon. After the war he received the Iron Cross from German Emperor, William I. Dr. Proegler moved to Fort Wayne in 1874. He and his wife, Henrietta had eight children. This house is no longer standing. Cityscape Flats occupies the site.Dr. Carl & Henrietta Proegler House on Fairfield Avenue. This c.1870 Italianate house was the home of a well-known veteran surgeon. Born in Cologne, Germany, Dr. Proegler came to New York City in 1860. When the Civil War broke out, he offered his services. After the war, he went back to his New York practice until the Franco-German War started. He returned to Germany and was a surgeon. After the war he received the Iron Cross from German Emperor, William I. Dr. Proegler moved to Fort Wayne in 1874. He and his wife, Henrietta had eight children. This house is no longer standing. Cityscape Flats occupies the site.
August 9, 2019 post by Mayor Tom Henry on Facebook:
It’s a historic day in Fort Wayne.
As Mayor, I’m honored to officially open Promenade Park as part of Riverfront Fort Wayne. Thank you to city officials, contractors, local organizations, donors, and most importantly, our residents, for making this dream become a reality.
August 9, 2019 post by Riverfront Fort Wayne on Facebook:
Thank you to the thousands of people that showed up for opening night of Promenade Park! Our hearts are so full. Join us on Saturday and Sunday for more activities and celebration! What was your favorite part?
Find out more: RiverfrontFW.org
August 9, 2023 post by Hoch Associates on Faceook:
Hello New Park! No better view than seeing the city of Fort Wayne walk through Promenade Park for the first time. Phase 1 of the Riverfront Development Project took years of planning, dreaming, sketching and countless hours of time designing and today it all became a reality. We are so proud to have worked with the Riverworks Design Group and on the Tree Canopy Trail especially. Cheers to all who have been a part of this crazy, beautiful process. We did it! Come enjoy Promenade Park during it’s grand opening going on now through this Sunday. #FortWayneFuture #Powerfulideas #cityoffortwayne #promenadepark #hellonewpark @ Fort Wayne, Indiana
202 W. Superior Street, corner of West Superior and North Harrison Street on the St. Marys River. The first phase of Riverfront Fort Wayne Project opened in 2019. See Promenade Park at City of Fort Wayne Parks & Recreation. Over 100 photos of the August 2019 Grand Opening were posted by Riverfront Fort Wayne on Facebook.
- Google photos for Promenade Park
- TAKE TIME TO EXPLORE PROMENADE PARK 202 W SUPERIOR STREET at Riverfront Fort Wayne.
- Promenade Park by Design Collaborative
- The Riverfront at Promenade Park Luxury Apartments Facebook, Sturges Property Group.
Promenade Park video below is from Visit Fort Wayne.
January 1, 2023 post by Steve Winans on Facebook:
Here is a photograph of the Downtown Skyline, from inside the historical & FABULOUS Wells Street Bridge, Promenade Park, Downtown Fort Wayne... I took this on August 7, 2022 at approximately 11:45p.m.
Looking SE, towards the City, down Wells Street, to where it ends at Superior Street....
It was a beautiful, crystal clear night, & the bridge was lit up with red & blue lights!! The outside of the Bridge looked of blue, red, & purple... the inside mainly was purple in hue....
This ONE OF A KIND Bridge was built in 1884, & closed in 1982, & placed on the National Register of Historic Places on September15, 1988.... It's been refurbished, & used as a pedestrian Bridge for years... The Wells Street Bridge is now located in, & a part of Promenade Park, in Downtown Fort Wayne....
What a great view!!
Purdue Fort Wayne
For history see IPFW Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne.
- Purdue University Fort Wayne History THIS IS OUR STORY.
- Purdue University Fort Wayne on Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.
- Omnibus Lecture Series, GREAT SPEAKERS SINCE 1995 list no links. Omnibus Lecture Series Past Speakers videos on the Helmke Library on YouTube.
- The Parker-Cole Crossing bridge Bridge slated to open in summer PFW, Ivy Tech link was set for 2018, March 10, 2020 The Journal Gazette newspaper
October 24, 2014 post by Purdue University Fort Wayne on Facebook:
This beauty shot of the Willis Family Bridge was taken by #IPFW student Olivia Ulch at INprint Urban Photography, a local startup that shares its love of the city one photo at a time.
[246 foot long structure spans across Crescent Avenue completed in 2003]
July 6, 2023 post by Purdue University Fort Wayne on Facebook:
Did you know that the Fort Wayne Trails Rivergreenway runs through campus? In addition to our Native Trees River Walk, you can cross the Ron Venderly Family Bridge and head north to Shoaff Park—or follow the trail south to Downtown Fort Wayne!
- IPFW BREAKS GROUND FOR NEW PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE July 9, 2008 at The Waynedale News.com
- Ron Venderly Family Bridge album with construction photos August 19, 2009 at Purdue University Fort Wayne
- The Ron Venderly Family Pedestrian Bridge 2009 at American Galvanizers Association
Project Factoids Mastodons roamed northeastern Indiana 10,000 to 13,000 years ago. IPFW geology students helped excavate a mastodon skeleton near Angola, Indiana, in 1968. A 3-ton bronze mastodon on IPFW campus was dedicated September 14, 2004. Mastodons on Parade commemorates the 40th anniversary of Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne.
102 Mastodons on Parade Gallery art project in 2004 on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine for the 40th Anniversary of IPFW.
Where have IPFW's sculpted mastodons gone? The Dons of a decade past still adorn Fort Wayne by Jonathan Robison published January 8, 2017 in The News-Sentinel newspapernow on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.
Over 500 comments to an October 6, 2023 request on Facebook for where are the mastodons now. Photos posted there and at fortwayne_mastodons on Instagram.
March 10, 2016 post by The History Center on Facebook:
Finally, #TBT to 2005 when Linda Booher, Rose Lantz, Carol Linton, Aaron Nagy, and descendants of Chief Richardville created Mini Don for Mastodons on Parade!
October 17, 2019 post by Hofer and Davis, Inc. Land Surveyors on Facebook:
For "Throwback Thursday" we share a Mastodon from Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne's (IPFW) celebration of their 40th Anniversary in 2004. There are still a lot of these Mastodons around town. This is "East Coast Don" at the Penn Station sandwich shop on Coliseum and Clinton. BTW...Mr. Hofer graduated from the Purdue side of IPFW.
October 31, 2019 post by Hofer and Davis, Inc. Land Surveyors on Facebook:
For "Throwback Thursday" we share another Mastodon found! This is at Buesching's Peat Moss on the Cook Road. In 2004 IPFW celebrated their 40th Anniversary and local businesses painted these Don's in tribute. BTW...it was at Bueschings they unearthed a Mastodon!
December 19, 2019 post by Hofer and Davis, Inc. Land Surveyors on Facebook:
For "Throwback Thursday" we share this picture of "Dental Don" all decked out as Santa Claus! In 2004 to celebrate Indiana - Purdue Fort Wayne's 40th Anniversary, several businesses and others decorated these Mastodons, many of which are scattered about town and we are featuring on "Throwback Thursday"!
January 9, 2020 post by Hofer and Davis, Inc. Land Surveyors on Facebook:
For "Throwback Thursday" we share another Mastodon picture. In 2004 to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of IPFW, many businesses and organizations painted these Mastodons On Parade and many are scattered about Fort Wayne til this day. Here is Science Central Don!
November 16, 2022 post by Environmental Resources Center at Purdue University Fort Wayne on Facebook:
We've got quite a bit to be thankful for being discussed in this month's ERC News Brief. The first planting for the ERC landscaping project has made it in the ground, The Nature Network's first speaker on sea turtle research is November 17th, an update on Dr. Paladino's lab, and some thought provoking ideas on the Clean Water Act.
Give it a scroll! Click the link below!
ERC November News Brief - Mailchimp ERC November 2022 News Brief [Email Campaign Archive]
August 24, 2023 post by Purdue Fort Wayne Library on Facebook:
Have you mastered where everything is on campus yet? It would have been a bit more straightforward in 1973 when this aerial view of our campus was taken! For more historical pictures of PFW, check out our University Archives Gallery in mDON: mDON mastodon Digital Object Network #ThrowbackThursday
November 10, 2023 post by Laura Stine Gardens on Facebook:
Completed in late summer, we are proud of Phase 2 of the Sustainable Landscape Master plan at Environmental Resources Center at Purdue University Fort Wayne.
It’s best to stop by in the pouring rain 😉 to see how the runoff from the building is being channeled into the landscape where it flows through the roots of the native plants and is cleaned on its way to the St. Joseph River which runs nearby.
A mix of straight-species native perennials and shrubs along with some native cultivars will grow into a landscape that illustrates methods to improve the functionality and environmental benefits of any landscape. Note the sedge plugs that will grow together to resemble a ‘lawn’ that looks great but requires less care than a traditional lawn.
Thanks to the many good people associated with PFW and the ERC who helped with the preparation, execution, and funding of this project!
Were Osage Oranges mastodon food?
Osage Oranges, Maclura pomifera, hedge apples, was sometimes used as living fences before barb wire became popular in the 1870s. Is native to the south-central states of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana. early French explorers referred to the species as bois d’arc or “wood for a bow”. Sometimes mentioned in early history books.
November 11, 2023 post by the Penn State Extension Master Gardeners of Chester County on Facebook:
Pictured here is the fruit of Maclura pomifera (a.k.a., Osage Orange), a species in the mulberry family (Moraceae) considered native to the south-central United States (Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Texas) that has become naturalized in parts of the eastern United States.* The inedible fruit–which only resembles an orange–is “a syncarp of drupes covered with a rind and when opened oozes a latex sap.”* In other words, “Osage oranges are pome fruit or fruit that has a core of seeds inside an edible fleshy casing. Better known examples of pome fruit include apples and pears.”** As Master Gardener Linda Sedar writes in a Penn State Extension article, these fruit in Pennsylvania are often referred to as “monkey balls.”***
As the “fruit is far too large to be consumed by wildlife species roaming our landscape today but not those of the past,” writes Emily Swihart for Illinois Extension, “[i]t seems that Osage oranges are anachronistic fruit, meaning they belong to another time. Scientists hypothesize that the Osage orange belongs to the Age of Great Mammals, also known as the Pleistocene, when herbivores far larger than any that remain today roamed North America. Fossil records tell of megafauna roaming the North American landscape including mammoths, mastodons, ground sloths, and glyptodon.”**
To learn more about this fascinating species, check out the articles cited below!
* “Maclura pomifera,” North Carolina Extension Gardener Plant Toolbox, North Carolina State Extension (accessed Nov. 10, 2023) (https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/maclura-pomifera/).
** “Massive fruit, myths, and mastodons: Osage orange,” Emily Swihart (Horticulture Educator), Illinois Extension, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (Nov. 11, 2022) (https://extension.illinois.edu/.../2022-11-11-massive...). [article states: The superior wood strength of the species was appreciated by native tribes and used for tools, especially bows for hunting. People would travel hundreds of miles to harvest trees suitable for crafting the weapon to the extent that early French explorers referred to the species as bois d’arc or “wood for a bow”. ... Osage oranges are anachronistic fruit, meaning they belong to another time. Scientists hypothesize that the Osage orange belongs to the Age of Great Mammals, also known as the Pleistocene, when herbivores far larger than any that remain today roamed North America. Fossil records tell of megafauna roaming the North American landscape including mammoths, mastodons, ground sloths, and glyptodon. similar to mammals of today, these megafaunas would have dispersed seeds of vegetation they consumed. The Osage orange, perhaps, developed large fruit for these prehistoric megafaunas.]
*** “The Osage Orange: Useless or Useful?” Linda Sedar (Master Gardener, Beaver County), Penn State Extension (updated July 5, 2023) (https://extension.psu.edu/the-osage-orange-useless-or-useful).
We hunt the oldest Bois d’Arc trees in the richest hunting grounds of northeast Texas along the RedRiver. Here’s a handful of the oldest lowland Bois d’Arc giants, the oldest 350-400 years old . We have located numerous 300 year old and currently working with land owners to preserve the landmarks trees for future generation. was posted November 23, 2023 by Bois DArc Kingdom on Big Tree Seekers on Facebook with photos.
January 31, 2024 post by Purdue University Fort Wayne on Facebook:
In 1969, students voted in favor of the mastodon as our school mascot. The partial skeleton that inspired that decision, found by a local farmer, was displayed in Kettler Hall from 1984–2016. Thanks to a coordinated effort by students and faculty, “Donna” is set to return this spring.
“There has always been an awareness within the student body of mastodon bones, but it’s always just been considered folklore among us,” said recently graduated SGA Vice President Lynn Herbst-Acevedo. B.A. ‘23. “We wanted the true mascot and spirit of the mastodon to be on display. It wasn’t just about us and the legacy we left behind, but the true spirit of the mastodon.”
Original mastodon bones returning for campus display Blake Sebring January 30, 2024
Back to top
February 2, 2024 post by Fort Wayne Business Weekly on Facebook:
Welcome back, Donna.
Ben Dattilo Purdue University Fort Wayne #burpeemuseum #naturalhistorymuseum #naturalhistory #museum #indiana #northeastindiana #dinosaur #fossils #science #history #biology #paleontology #geology #destination #animal #midwest
Feb. 2 - Original mastodon bones returning for Purdue Fort Wayne campus display