2110 McConnel Drive, New Haven, IN 46774, (260) 493-6585. O.G. “Bud” Steinman founded AAA Auction Service in 1972 and passed away in 2000. AAA Auction Service conducts estate and commercial/industrial auctions and appraisals in the greater Fort Wayne area and throughout the Midwest. Copied from web site History. See Facebook page.
Near the corner of what is now Edsall and Raymond Avenues, once sat a popular place of healing: the Abbott Magnetic Mineral Well. Hobbyist historian Mark Linehan spent months compiling obscure information after discovering the topic, during his research on the gas boom in Indiana. “In 1888, William T. Abbott… he owned al this land here,” Linehan said, gesturing to large acreage southeast of downtown Fort Wayne. “All the locales wanted to strike a natural gas well, because that’s essentially free power.” Nine deep bore wells were drilled, though no gas was found. But Abbott wasn’t close to giving up. “He was spending a lot of money and time and had experts come out. At one point, the newspapers started to kind of make fun of him for going so deep, and not finding gas,” he added. “Finally at about 1900 feet down — that’s pretty deep — he found a well of artisan water.” Is the first two lines for the video and of the article 21Country: The Abbott Magnetic Mineral Well Fort Wayne’s healing spa between 1888-1913 by Daniel Beale at ABC WPTA21.com TV station. The complete research of Mark Linehan, including maps, illustrations, photos and and more is Abbott Magnetic Mineral Well, Fort Wayne, Indiana (1888-1913) files at The Genealogy Center at the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Page 3 references the 26-page REPORT UPON THE GEOLOGY OF ALLEN COUNTY. by CHARLES R. DRYER, M. D available online at IUScholarWorks.iu.edu.
Adair - E. Ross Adair Federal Building and United States Courthouse, formerly Fort Wayne Federal Building
Walpole Colerick, Congressman from Fort Wayne pressured the Indiana legislature to appeal to Congress for a federal courthouse and post office in 1873. Funding by 1882 eventually led to a building opening in 1903. On June 30, 1999, the Fort Wayne Federal Building was renamed to honor E. Ross Adair who served twenty years as Indiana’s Fourth District Congressman and Ambassador to Ethiopia. The name was officially changed to the E. Ross Adair Federal Building and United States Courthouse. A ceremony was held on October 27, 2000 to commemorate the renaming of the Fort Wayne Federal Building . Read more of the history in A Fort Wayne Architectural Landmark by Tom Castaldi published August 27, 2014 in
History Center Notes & Queries blog.
Saturday, April 28, 1951, 11 people were killed when a United Airlines DC-3, Flight 129, departed Cleveland, Ohio heading for Chicago, crashed on approach to Baer Field, killing 8 passengers and a crew of 3. There was a severe thuderstorm in the area, when the aircraft was east of the airport the wind increased to 60-65 miles per hour with gusts to 85 miles per hour and a heavy rainfall began, accompanied by lightning and severe static. See Accident Description on AviationSafety.net.
In the late 1950's, Lt. Art Ivan, from Leo, crashed an Air Guard jet but bailed out and survived. No information was found online.
Was on Bluffton Road in 1917 across from what is now Quimby Village. The Genealogy Center blog St. Vincent Villa Sources Online posted February 09, 2015 says The records of the Allen County Children's Home were “lost” many years ago and their Remembering the Flood of 1913 blog by Dawne posted March 22, 2013 mentions children drowning from the home also mentioned below including sources of information. Some of the Bricks were used to build Waynedale United Methodist Church. The barn was then used to house a riding stable, there is a crossing built into the river you can still make out so they could take the horses over to Foster Park and ride the Bridle Trail (now the hiking trail that runs along the rivers edge). It's where the seats pavilion is now. You can still see the carriage house there. March 26, 1913 it was flooded, 60 children were stranded, with 3 drowning during rescue attempts to evacuate the building. See May 29, 1913 Fort Wayne News newspaper article. Read more in Flood of the century A Look Back At The Flood of 1913 And How It Changed Fort Wayne - Part 1 by Cindy Larson of The News-Sentinel newspaper. From the archives: Headstone, service memorialize orphans The girls died in the flood of 1913 by Darnell J. Compton of The News-Sentinel newspaperMarch 20, 2013 shows photo. Originally published July 12, 1999 the story is about Girl Scout Cadet Troop 199 conducting a memorial service at Lindenwood Cemetery and dedicating a headstone at the graves of Alice Mannen and Kittie Wise, two girls who died trying to flee the Allen County Orphan's Home during Fort Wayne's flood of 1913. The Orphan's Home was on the southwest corner of Webster and Wayne, with Bernard Rekers, Director in the 1858 Fort Wayne City Directory.
Is is one of two National Historic Landmarks in Allen County. April 18, 2022The History Centerposted 8 photos on Facebook. Stating: The first Allen County Courthouse, built in 1831, was deemed to be a safety hazard and was ordered to be replaced by county officers. In response county officials received plans in 1840 for a new courthouse. This building was to be in the Greek Revival style and be comprised of a central building with wings on either side. On the first floor were an entry hall and a large public meeting room in the middle and two offices in each wing. The second floor was comprised on two more offices in each wing and the courtroom. Though county court officials abandoned the building in 1841, officials decided to not use these plans and instead use temporary quarters, until the completion of a differently designed courthouse in 1847.
The current building opened in 1902 and is credited as one of the best Beaux Arts courthouses in the nation. The Courthouse Green, a one acre plaza on the east side of the Allen County Courthouse was dedicated on October 15, 1999. It was created when the block of buildings along Court Street were torn down. See Courthouse Green at FortWayneParks.org.
The current courthouse exterior is impressive, inside gets national recognition. More than 15,000-square feet of scagliola, or faux marble made from plaster, adorns columns, walls, pilasters and moldings. Read World-Class County Courthouse with photos back to late 1800s published February 20, 2014 and June 19, 2014 with a couple different photos both by Tom Castaldi on History Center Notes & Queries blog.
Restoration Celebration Saluting 100 years of justice at the Allen County Courthouse was a 16-page special insert with photos, history, and stories in the September 22, 2002 The Journal Gazette newspaper.
Go on a History Center Tour with a trained docent or self-guided tour. Tour lasts approximately one hour and a donation of $2 per person is recommended. To schedule a tour, contact the Allen County Courthouse Preservation Trust office at (260) 449.4246 or email.
Little courthouse upkeep Scaffolding goes up for repairs on murals, stained-glass windows - From 1995 to 2002, the county spent $8.6 million, most of it from private donors, restoring the Allen County Courthouse... by Frank Gray published January 17, 2017 in The Journal Gazette newspaper.
Primetime39 - May 19, 2017 Season 2017 Episode 1418 | 27m 33s Topic - Allen County Courthouse Preservation Trust Guests - Robyn Zimmerman, Executive Director, Allen County Courthouse Preservation Trust; Don Oxsee, Board Member, Allen County Courthouse Preservation Trust
PrimeTime39 - August 9, 2019 Season 2019 Episode 26 | 26m 52s History of the Allen County Bar and Courts. Guests - Rachel Blakeman, Donald Doxsee, and Jack Lawson. This area’s only in-depth, live, weekly news, analysis and cultural update forum, PrimeTime 39 airs Fridays at 7:30pm. This program is hosted by PBS39’s President/General Manager Bruce Haines.
Allen County Fairgrounds
Built on Carroll Road in 1989, website http://allencountyfairgroundsin.com/, Facebook. The Allen County Fair started in the 1940s at the old Fort Wayne Speedway, then bounced between Huntertown and Woodburn, until they found a home in the Coliseum, until it expanded and moved to Carroll Road. The Allen County Fair is the only county that does not receive state funding for the fair, as funding is entirely from one week of fair each July.
In 1847, the first Allen County Jail, constructed out of logs, was destructed by fire and no official action was taken to replace it. On April 7, 1849, exactly 173 years ago today, city council ordered the mayor to procure a building to be used as a jail. Subsequently a committee had a jail constructed for $270 on the northeast corner of Harrison and Berry Streets, while plans for a more permanent structure were considered. The new jail and sheriff’s residence was finally completed in 1852 at the cost of $4,955.34 and was located on Calhoun Street across from the current jail. Though there were several escapes from this new jail, it served the people of Allen County for 20 years until its successor was completed in 1872. Copied from April 8, 2022 Facebook post with photos by The History Center. Built in the 1850s, the previous brick jail served from the 1850s until early 1981, when the first section of the current jail opened across the street. The building was razed soon thereafter, and its long history includes being the site of perhaps the county's most notorious public hanging.An estimated 15,000 people watched Samuel McDonald die in the jail's courtyard on Oct. 9, 1883, after being convicted of murdering Louis Laurent. Because the fall did not break his neck, it took McDonald 17 minutes to die of strangulation. The noose used to hang McDonald and the hatchet he used on Laurent are in the collection of the History Center, as is an iron door from one of the old jail's cells. Copied from Site of old county jail, infamous hanging could be used for downtown development by Kevin Leininger published February 10, 2017 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.
Formed in 1943, in 1947 opens Hanna Homestead School, in 1962 buyrs property at 2722 Fairfield Avenue, in 1985 relocates to current location at 3320 North Clinton Street. In 1998 officially renamed Turnstone Center for Disabled Children and Adults. See their History page for more information.
Allen County Sweeper
Photo of building at 1800 Broadway, corner of Swinney Avenue, was discussed May 12, 2019 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook. Culled from the comments it was built around 1950 as Brouwer's Firestone and Texaco in the (late) Art Moderne style. It was a combination of tire store, filling station, service garage, and a small hardware-type retail store. The Brouwer family operated on the site prior to construction of the 1950 building, in a smaller Texaco filling station. Until 1965 was Brouwers Tire and Battery where Ray Ditton was the sales manager for Firestone tires. In the 1960s and 1970s it was a Goodyear tire and GE appliance store. TEKVenture maker lab moved to the block in 2014, then in 2017 moved to 1550 Griffin. There is tax sale information for Swinney Avenue Partners LLC 1800 BROADWAY.
Designed by Alvin M. Strauss. Ground was broken for Allen County War Memorial Coliseum on January 24, 1950. There was nothing but farms in the area. The $3 million project took more than two years to complete and was dedicated on September 28, 1952, shown in a short video by Access Fort Wayne public television at the Allen County Public Library, in a ceremony that drew 10,000 people to the Coliseum to hear National Commander Lewis K. Gough of the American Legion talk about winning peace through strength in the Korean War. See a photo of the dedication ceremony posted September 28, 2018 by the Memorial Coliseum courtesy of The Journal Gazette newspaperon Twitter. See May 1951 photos taken during construction posted May 15, 2019 by Allen County War Memorial Coliseum on Facebook. See a historical photo of the Memorial Coliseum, taken on August 18, 1950! Taken two years before the facility opened its doors, this photo shows the building in the midst of construction. Look at all that farm land and natural vegetation! Coped from an August 19, 2019 post on their Facebook page.
The Komets have played at the Coliseum since 1952, and the Zollner Pistons played five seasons there before moving to Detroit. It is currently the home of the Mad Ants as well as the venue for a variety of events including concerts, expos and the Vera Bradley Outlet Sale. Copied from Throwback Thursday: Memorial Coliseum published September 28, 2017 on The Journal Gazette newspaper.
The coliseum was intentionally built on the north side in the country to draw development to the north side of the river. Trains on the railroad tracks along the rivers on the north side of Fort Wayne often blocked northbound traffic preventing north side development. In 1947 Mayor Harry Baals proposed elevating the Nickel Plate railroad tracks along the old Wabash & Erie canal in Fort Wayne. Elevation started in 1953 and finished in 1956. North side development started in the 1950s and has never stopped. Mayor Harry Baals legacy is the decades of north side development, but instead became world famous in 2011 when comedian Jimmy Kimmell played a sketch video joking about the pronounciation of the mayors name. Scotty Moore has an interesting history of the early coliseum, especially Evil Presley's 1957 concert with newspaper articles.
105 East Lewis Street, taped August 11, 1976 American Legion Lincoln Post --Fort Wayne, Indiana
published November 11, 2016 by the Allen County Public Library on
YouTube. This clip is a short piece that is part of a longer series of Fort Wayne landmarks documented on open reel video tape in the 1970s. The series was made possible by the Fort Wayne Public Library, now the Allen County Public Library. This segment was recorded August 11, 1976 at 105 East Lewis in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Camera and Editing by Steve Fortriede.
75th anniversary was on January 1, 2013. Inception in 1938, is a sales/service distributor in the weighing equipment business with sales and service capabilities. Headquarters in Fort Wayne with branch offices in both South Bend and Toledo Ohio serve customers within a 75 mile radius of either location. Web site: http://www.antibus.com/
The nine-story, 263-rooms opened in Februry 1908 at 128 West Berry corner of Harrison Street. In 1947 leased to F. Harold Van Orman, president of Fort Wayne Daisies women's baseball team, along with Ernie Berg and Ramon Perry, was the original backer/owner of the newly formed (1952) Fort Wayne Komets. Hotel rebranded as the Van Orman until 1968, rebranded the Anthony and imploded January 13, 1974. See history and discussion posted November 7, 2016 by Randy Harter, Fort Wayne historian and author, and postcard discussion October 7, 2017 and several ACPL photos March 13, 2019 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
On West Wayne Street, 1917-1933 was a co-ed business school. During the Great Depression it served as local headquarters of the WPA, the Works Progress Administration, which provided jobs to depression era unemployed who compiled useful genealogy records of births, marriages, and deaths found on the shelves of the The Genealogy Center, and would build the runways at Fort Wayne’s Smith Field, and the pavilions at Foster Park. It was torn down in 2014 to build the Asher Brokerage world headquarters. No longer online in Doomed Building Played Major Role in City History by Eric Olson March 28, 2014 of Indiana NewsCenter.
Anthony Wayne Motor Company
The former 'Anthony Wayne Motor Company' dealership was built in the mid-1920s at the SE corner of Lafayette Street and E Washington Boulevard, along the Lincoln Highway. It was home to the Ford and Lincoln brands. After having sat vacant for a number of years, it was demolished (along with the old 412 Club behind it) in September 2017 to make way for the Fort Wayne Rescue Mission. Fort Wayne, Indiana. Copied from August 25, 2018 photo taken August 7, 2016 posted by Dan Baker on Facebook.
There is a 200+ year old Centennial Tree with a 1797-1987 plaque on Baker Street in downtown Fort Wayne.
XVL--The Miami Apple-tree At the junction of the St. Mary and St. Joseph rivers, where they form the Maumee River, or Miami of the Lakes, in Indiana, is a rich plain — so rich that Indian corn has been raised upon the same field for a hundred consecutive years without exhausting the soil. It is oppo- site the city of Fort Wayne, that stands upon the site of the Indian village of Ke-ki-on-ga. There was once one of the most noted villages of the Miami tribe of Indians ; and there Afish- i-ki-nak-iva, or Little Turtle, the famous Miami chief, was born and lived until late in life. He and his people have long since passed away, and only a single living thing remains with which they were associated. It is a venerable Apple Tree, still bearing fruit when I visited it late in September, 1860. It is from a seed doubtless dropped by some French priest or trader in early times. It was a fruit-bearing tree a hundred years ago, when Pc-she-wa (Wild Cat) or Rich- ardville, the successor of Little Turtle, was born under it; and it exhibits now — with a trunk more than twenty feet in diameter, seamed and scarred by age and the elements — remarkable vigor. Glimpses of the city of Fort Wayne may be seen from the old Apple-Tree ; and around it are clustered memories of stirring scenes near the close of the last century, when American A short distance from Little Turtle's village, in another direction, lies a beautiful and fertile plain, between the St. Mary and St. Joseph, op- posite Fort Wayne. There, in a garden, near an apple-orchard planted by Captain Wells, the white brother-in-law of Little Turtle (who was killed at Chicago in 1812), is the grave of the chief. That orchard is the oldest in Northern Indiana, having been planted in 1804. Little Turtle commanded the Miamis at the defeat of St. Clair, in the autumn of 1791. He was also in command in the battle with Wayne, at the Fallen Timbers, in 1794. He was not a chief by birth, but by election, on account of personal merits. He died in 1812, when Co-is-see, his nephew, pronounced a funeral oration at his grave. Volney, the eminent French traveler and philosopher, became acquainted with Little Turtle in Philadelphia, in 1797, two years after he led his people in making the final treaty of peace with Wayne, at Greenville. By his assistance Volney made a vocabulary of the Miami language. While in Philadelphia Little Turtle sat for his portrait, and alternated with an Irish gentleman. They were both fond of joking, and sometimes pushed each other pretty hard. On one occasion, when they met at the artist's studio, the chief was very sedate, and said but little. The Irish gentleman told him that he was defeated in badinage, and did not wish to talk. (They talked through an interpreter.) Little Turtle replied, "He mistakes; I was just thinking of proposing to this man to paint us both on one board, and then I would stand face to face with him, and blackguard him to all eternity !"
Patriarch of Fort Wayne's Apple Trees on page 154 of Pamphlets Volume 8 by the Public Library of Fort Wayne and Allen County, Publication date 1954, an Archive.org
On page 11 of the book: The patriarch of Fort Wayne's apple trees was bearing fruit long before General Wayne appeared on the scene. When Chief Richardville of the Miami Indians was born in a hut near the tree in 1761, the apple tree stood in the midst of the Miami village, Kekionga. The city grew and prospered; late in the nineteenth century the venerable tree perished at an estimated age of one hundred and fifty years. Although the exact location is unknown, it stood in the Lakeside residential district of Fort Wayne. An article in the May, 1862, issue of HARPER'S NEW MONTHLY MAGAZINE reveals that the trunk of the ancient tree measured twenty feet in diameter in I860.
The History Centerblog at the beginning of this section on the apple tree discusses is how popular it was in the literature of the time. My first encounter was in the 1990s when I (Stan Follis) read about this large apple tree on page 616 in the book Genealogical records of the Royer family in America published in 1928. There seems to be some question about the correct parents and age of George Royer and conflicts whether his age was 90 or almost 100 from different newspaper obituaries raising the question whether this appletree story was even true, and if not why was it in the book at all? As
The History Centerblog An Old Apple Tree of Fort Wayne Lore indicates this appletree was a popular topic of folklore for the time indicating that perhaps George Royer was a story teller and maybe why it was included in this Royer family history book.
Genealogical records of the Royer family in America or more especially those of Sebastian Royer's family : Based on original records of Michael Zug by Francis, Jay Gottwals, 1870-, Publication date 1928, an Archive.org.
A large apple tree, perhaps the largest in Indiana, stood about half a mile out from Fort Wayne. One day Wayne from the fort noticed an Indian climb up into the apple tree. He said to George Royer: “Go bring my little pocket piece and I will drop that red d — out of that apple tree.” The pocket piece was brought, Wayne aimed, and the Indian was seen to drop out.
Website: www.archfw.org - Architecture and Community Heritage since 1975. ARCH Endangered Structure List of 2012’s most endangered structures, with the number decreasing from 10 to eight since last year. Topping the list is the Merchant-Huxford House at 520 Tennessee Ave., the home of one of Fort Wayne’s earliest mayors. According to legend, the house contains timbers from the last fort in the city. The list also included the S.F. Bowser building on Creighton Avenue vacated by the Fort Wayne Police Department, then torn down in 2016. From ARCH endangered-structure list dips to 8 by Sarah Janssen of The Journal Gazette newspaper November 16, 2012. Taking Stock of Our Treasures, One Historic Building at a Time by Eric Olson published January 2, 2014 as
ABC WPTA21.com TV station21Country video.
At 1415 West Washington Boulevard. In 1994 it was included on the "Fort Wayne Bicentennial Heritage Trail" as one of the outstanding homes in the celebrated West Central Neighborhood. From An Archbishop’s Home by Tom Castaldi, local historian published January 29, 2015 in the
History Center Notes & Queries blog.
List of public art in Fort Wayne, Indiana at
Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. This list applies only to works of public art accessible in an outdoor public space. For example, this does not include artwork visible inside a museum. Most of the works mentioned are sculptures.
Arts United Center
In 1961, the architect Louis I. Kahn was commissioned by the Fine Arts Foundation to design and develop a large arts complex. ... By the summer of 1970, Kahn’s office had completed the working drawings for the theatre, and construction proceeded shortly after. In the end, only the Theatre of Performing Arts was completed out of the nine proposed buildings for the Fine Arts Center of Fort Wayne. The theatre was officially inaugurated in 1973, a year before Kahn’s death in 1974. See Fort Wayne AD Classics: Arts United Center / Louis Kahn by Evan Pavka published April 16, 2018 on ArchDaily.com. The path of Kahn Famed architect's imprint on Arts United Center unmistakable with several photos by Miriam Morgan published December 09, 2018 in The Journal Gazette newspaper.
535 W. Wayne Street, founded in 1974, founder Tim Borne and president Tom Borne still maintain highly visible roles even after they sold the business to a holding company based out of Tennessee a few years ago. Website: asheragency.com
Aspy's BestOne Tire & Auto Care
14808 Minnich Road, Hoagland, New Haven area, 58th anniversary on January 1, 2013, website: www.aspytire.com