H Named Places in Allen County, Indiana

Haffner Paint Company

Quality paint, great service and knowledgeable sales people! 93 anniversary on January 1, 2013

Hagerman Group

William Hagerman arrived from Germany in the 1890s. The Hagerman Group is a four-generation business since 1908 with offices in downtown Fort Wayne, as well as the Indianapolis and Louisville areas. William Hagerman and brother-in-law Fredrick Buesching co-founded The Buesching-Hagerman Company in Fort Wayne. At inception, the family business provided masonry services throughout Indiana. In 1929, The Hagerman Group helped build Fort Wayne’s Lincoln Tower, the tallest building in Indiana until 1954. The company served as the general contractor for both the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum, as well as Parkview Field, and its latest endeavor in 2018 is the opening phase of the Riverfront Park project being developed downtown on both sides of the St. Mary’s River. This information was copied from their website History page which has a nice timeline with more information and FOCUS 2018: The Hagerman Group has been on full display (and proud of that) for 110 years and counting Tom Davis June 17, 2018 in The News-Sentinel newspaper archived on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.

#ThrowbackThursday! This building, built by Hagerman in the 1930s, stood on the corner of Washington and Calhoun in Fort...

Posted by Hagerman on Thursday, June 6, 2024

Thursday, June 6, 2024 post by Hagerman on Facebook:

#ThrowbackThursday! This building, built by Hagerman in the 1930s, stood on the corner of Washington and Calhoun in Fort Wayne, IN (the Hilton connected to the Grand Wayne Center is there today). With a 116-year history, we have countless photographs of historic buildings that we built throughout Indiana. #BuildingABetterFuture #AConstructionSolutionsProvider

Hall Community Arts Center

Was dedicated in memory of William and Sarah Niezer Hall in 1992. The building was originally built in 1916 as the Western Newspaper Union Building, which printed weekly newspapers and sold newspaper supplies. Major General Anthony Wayne’s fort was constructed on this and adjacent properties in 1794. Read the rest of the story in The Hall Community Arts Center May 2, 2013 by Tom Castaldi on the History Center Notes & Queries blog.

Hall's Family Restaurants

1946 Don Hall’s Drive-In opened at 1502 Bluffton Road, now 11 Fort Wayne-area restaurants and one in Indianapolis from Hall's legacy endures Family, restaurants have prospered for 70 years by Steve Warden published June 12, 2016 in The Journal Gazette newspaper. See their history Our Story on their website. Don Hall is Fort Wayne’s Biggest Name in Dining Visit Fort Wayne blog. A May 15, 2023 post by Don Hall's Restaurants on Facebook: Did you know that we still have one of the last remaining Drive-In restaurants in the entire state? Come on out and bring the whole family to Hall's Hollywood Drive-In for a fun, summer meal that they won't soon forget!

Halls Hot Dog Stand

August 31, 2023 post by Don Hall's Restaurants on Facebook:

We're throwing it back to a simpler time for #ThrowbackThursday... specifically back in 1949! 🌭
Who remembers our old "Hall's Hot Dog Stand" off of Bluffton Road? As the predecessor of our old "Food Factory" right next door to Hall's Original, this location was one of our first experiments of a Drive-Thru restaurant. We had one employee in a stand taking orders from cars with a walkie-talkie to the kitchen. Customers would then drive up to the kitchen window to pay for and receive their food!

Who remembers ordering a round of hot dogs and root beers at this old historic drive-thru?

Hall's Meats   Hall's Prime Rib

March 21, 2023 post by Don Hall's Restaurants on Facebook:

Today is "National Memory Day" and today we're remembering our original location - No, not our Bluffton Road Drive-In, but our original Meat Market on South Wayne Avenue! [ next to Shawnee Branch Library ] Originally owned by Rank Hall, Don Hall's Father, before Don took over the family business in the early/mid 1900's! The store is not still standing to this day, but luckily it is the foundation of the new outdoor patio of Antonuccio's Italian Market! Next time you visit the market for a freshly made deli sandwich, you can walk outside, enjoy the patio, and reflect on the history on some of Fort Wayne's earliest restaurants!

Do you have any stories of the old Meat Market, or any other of the Hall's early locations? Comment below, we'd love to hear your memories!

March 28, 2024 post by Don Hall's Restaurants on Facebook with the same photos:

#ThrowbackThursday to our first ever Hall's location: the ol' Hall's South Wayne Meat Market! This is where it all the magic started back in the early 1900's, run by Don's father, Rank Hall.

Don inherited the meat market around the mid 1940's and had a dream of an original Drive-In restaurant just around the corner on Bluffton Road. In 1946, that dream came true and became Hall's Original.

You can still see and visit the original site, right in-between The Friendly Fox and Antonuccio's Italian Market!

2023 Halls Drive In Restaurant

May 15, 2023 post by Don Hall's Restaurants on Facebook:

It's a beautiful day for a Curbside meal only at the Hollywood! 🎬

Say "Action" to one of the last of the few remaining Drive-In restaurants in the entire state! Bring the whole family out for a meal they won't forget - Just park your car underneath the awning, flash your lights, and one of our rockstar servers will come out and take your order!

Enjoy a classic Big Buster Platter with extra fries - don't forget the milkshake! 🍔🍟

Find us on the corner of Lima and Coliseum in Fort Wayne Indiana, - 4416 Lima Road Fort Wayne, IN 46808.

Whenever this popular restuarant appears on social media a lively conversation remembers the good old days and wonder when and why its not yet open as of 2024.

It sure feels good to get back in the swing of things. 🦢 It's official, Triangle Park is coming back and better than...

Posted by Triangle Park on Thursday, August 25, 2022

Thursday, August 25, 2022 post by Triangle Park on Facebook:

It sure feels good to get back in the swing of things. 🦢 It's official, Triangle Park is coming back and better than ever before! Our peaceful little pond-side restaurant is currently undergoing some major upgrades, some fresh paint, a kitchen renovation, and all-new branding! We missed you all, and we couldn't be more excited to bring this historic place back to life.

Follow this page to stay updated on our official opening date!

Hamilton Hunter Builders

Office at 915 S. Lafayette St, Hamilton W. Hunter founded the business in 1938 as a real estate sales and appraisal business ... has evolved from a real estate business to a home builder to a general contractor focusing on commercial construction, but it’s stayed a family business for 80 years. Business continued by his son, Hamilton Hunter Jr., who served in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II, joined his father in the business in 1951 after returning from the war and graduating from Purdue University with a civil engineering degree. Third-generation owner Holly Hunter, the first and only woman president and board member in the more than 100-year history of the Building Contractors Association of Northeast Indiana. The company is noted for its masonry and specialty masonry projects, she said. Those include the large, Jefferson Boulevard entrance to Parkview Field and the brick addition to North Side High School, she said. Copied from FOCUS 2018: Hamilton Hunter Builders continues family tradition of ownership and craftsmanship by Kevin Kilbane which includes a list of completed company projects published June 17, 2018 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.

Hanna- Creighton Development

June 18, 2015 post by Hofer and Davis, Inc. Land Surveyors on Facebook:

For Throwback Thursday we share this from the H & D Scrapbook, being an article from The Journal Gazette on July 6, 2003. Hofer and Davis, Inc. provided the boundary and topographical surveys for this project, working with the City of Fort Wayne, The Board of Library Trustees, The Fort Wayne Urban League and CANI to pull off a sweet development!

Hannas Ford

March 26, 2024 post with photos on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook.

Hanselmann House - aka Cube House

10220 Circlewood Drive is not visible in Street View photo from Google maps with user submitted photos

Photos of unique archetecture of Hanselmann House (1967-1971) by architect Michael Graves on WTTW PBS. Renamed the Cube House which has a Facebook page.

July 25, 2018 post by Input Fort Wayne on Facebook:

The iconic Hanselmann House designed by the renowned architect Michael Graves is on Airbnb with a new name: The Cube House.

Traveling to Fort Wayne? Book the famous 'Cube House' on Airbnb by Kara Hackett published July 25, 2018 on Input Fort Wayne.

Hanson Aggregates Ardmore Quarry

6100 Ardmore Avenue. The County Commissioners first sold the gravel pit to Charles Fairfield in 1862. The business lasted until the Great Depression and then went into receivership. The local bank that held the mortgage offered to let Bill May run it for a year. If he could show a profit during the year of 1932 then he would be allowed to buy it on a long-term contract. Bill found ways to save through efficiency and quality control and managed to take over the fledgling business. ... The limestone quarry was sold to France Stone of Toledo in 1968 and then to Hanson Aggregates. Today the quarry is 321 feet deep, with plans to go even deeper. Copied from a tour described in HANSON AGGREGATES’ QUARRY IS SPECTACTULAR published November 21, 2007 in The Waynedale News.com.

  1. Hanson Aggregates-Ardmore Quarry.
  2. Mine information is at Mindat.org.
  3. Ardmore Quarry Observation Tower on Facebook.
  4. Amazing view of a limestone quarry in action right here in Fort Wayne. The Hanson Observation Tower is open to the public and safely enclosed with fencing.

    Posted by Visit Fort Wayne on Saturday, February 27, 2016

    February 27, 2016 post by Visit Fort Wayne on Facebook:

    Amazing view of a limestone quarry in action right here in Fort Wayne.

    The Hanson Observation Tower is open to the public and safely enclosed with fencing.

    — at Hanson Observation Tower.

  5. Check out one of Fort Wayne's hidden gems. Hanson Aggregates in Fort Wayne, Ind., maintains an observation tower that allows anyone to view the operations inside the Ardmore Quarry. See more videos from our Focus edition at http://www.journalgazette.net/videos/

    Posted by The Journal Gazette on Friday, June 17, 2016

    June 17, 2016 post by The Journal Gazette on Facebook:

    Check out one of Fort Wayne's hidden gems. Hanson Aggregates in Fort Wayne, Ind., maintains an observation tower that allows anyone to view the operations inside the Ardmore Quarry.

    Quarry tops list of area's hidden gems by Keiara Carr published June 15, 2016 in The Journal Gazette newspaper archived on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.

  6. Hanson Limestone Quarry #1 photos by Christopher Crawford: Documentary Photography.
  7. Fort Wayne Quarry May 2, 2018 by landis entertainment network on YouTube.

Happy Humpty

Fairfield at Packard Avenue Street View photo from Google Maps near Packard Park

Drive-in restaurants located on Fairfield and Packard Avenue, Anthony and Pontiac, and 7720 Bluffton Road, from the late 1940s through at least the 1960s. Home of the Big Guy hamburger, milkshakes, pork tenderloin sandwiches, and ice cream.

April 5, 2019 post by Indiana Archives and Records Administration on Facebook:

We have scores of Fast-Food restaurant trademarks in our collection. These come from the Happy Humpty drive-in restaurant, located in Fort Wayne from the late 1940s through at least the 1960s. We have examples of their cups, customer review cards, and birthday club sign-up cards. These trademarks expired when the Happy Humpty restaurant become the Lucky Steer sometime in the early 1980s. Did you ever visit the Happy Humpty in Fort Wayne? We'd love to hear your stories in the comments. Learn more about our collections: Search Archives Holdings

April 17, 2019 post by Indiana Album on Facebook:

Mystery Solved! These probably adorned the sign for the Happy Humpty Restaurant at Fairfield and Packard in Fort Wayne. (It was a chain, so we can't be certain.)

Mystery signs, circa 1960s - Two egg-shaped cartoon characters eating sandwiches at the Johnson Brothers Sign Company in South Whitley. Does anyone remember a restaurant decorated with these signs? Johnson Brothers made a lot of signs for northeastern Indiana businesses.

October 14, 2020 post byHistoric 07 District - Fort Wayne on Facebook

Today, we continue our list of the top endangered properties in the Historic 07 District. The purpose of this list is to raise awareness of these incredible properties.

At the corner of Fairfield and Packard sits a unique building, and perhaps an even more unique sign. Built in 1928, the Humpty Dumpty Drive-In building still stands, but it is unfortunately in disrepair. The site was initially the Indian Refining Company. Indian Refining patented the first "wax-free" oil under the Havoline brand. To boost sales and advertise the product, they offered to fuel the first plane to fly coast to coast. As of 1937, the site was owned by the Shewmaker Bros as a gasoline and oil service station. Then, by the mid-1940s, the site was vacant.

Soon after, the station was converted into a restaurant by Guy Scheib. “The restaurant, run by Scheib and his sons, was an overnight success in post-WWII Indiana, and they quickly began expanding, changing the name to Happy Humpty along the way, as the Humpty Dumpty trademark was unavailable.” Scheib went on to open other restaurants, as well. For example, “Lucky Steer was launched in partnership with Royce Shafer. At the peak of operations, there were around 23 company-owned restaurants in the two brand chain.”

At some point, Scheib was no longer involved with the business, and the restaurants closed in the 1980s. Scheib lived in Woodhurst but eventually relocated to Florida, where he passed away in 1999. The split in ownership developed another chain, CJ HighMarks, in Ohio by a former employee and District Manager, John Irmscher. There is still one Lucky Steer in existence today, which was purchased by Dwight Axe and his wife Carmen in 1983. The couple met as teenagers in the restaurant. That last restaurant still serves customers to this day in Wapakoneta, OH.

Lucky Steer Restaurant

Fairfield Neighborhood

 

A January 30, 2024 comment to sharing this post October 14, 2020 by the Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana on Facebook expressed interest in restoring this restaurant. Another Message asked how to find the current land owner. The Allen County Recorder's Office website states: The Allen County Recorder’s primary function is to maintain permanent public records of the transactions that convey property from one owner to the next. https://www.allencountyrecorder.us/ Their website is the place to start whether for genealogy research or any reason to find current and previous historical land owners of Allen County, Indiana property. See our Land Records page for more information.

Hardin's Defeat

See Colonel John Hardin and seperate page Hardin's Defeat.

Harlan - Springfield Township

Harlan Centennial, 1853-1953 by Harlan Community Association (Harlan, Ind.) Publication date 1953 on Archive.org.

The "Harlan Centennial, 1853-1953," compiled by the Harlan Community Association, offers a comprehensive reflection on the history and development of Harlan, Indiana. This commemorative book was published in 1953 to mark the 100th anniversary of Harlan's founding. The centennial celebration was a significant community effort, with extensive participation from local residents and detailed planning by various committees. The book includes messages from key figures, a detailed program of the centennial events, and historical narratives highlighting Harlan's growth, notable personalities, and community milestones. It serves not only as a record of the centennial festivities but also as a valuable document preserving the heritage and collective memory of Harlan’s first century. Also available at History of Harlan Indiana, 1853-1953 on AccessGenealogy.com

Harmar's Defeat: 1790 Battle of Kekionga

See seperate page: Harmar's Defeat includes Harmar's Ford.

Harrison Square

Harrison Square is a mixed-use downtown revitalization project in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Includes Parkview Field baseball park, home field to the Fort Wayne TinCaps minor league baseball team. New retail, office, and apartments, a Courtyard by Marriott to serve Grand Wayne Convention Center and Embassy Theatre patrons, and an adjoining park with amphitheater and fountain. See Harrison Square at Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.

The Harrison

Luxury Apartments and Retail, 1021 S. Calhoun Street. https://theharrisonbnd.com/ A business block of Parkview Field containing businesses on the first two floors and apartments the top two floors. The Harrison is on Facebook. Harrison worth the wait After many delays, downtown complex has filled all 43 apartments by Paul Wyche published August 25, 2013 in The Journal Gazette newspaper.

Move in day at the Harrison in downtown Fort Wayne - CBS WANE-TV NewsChannel 15 January 31, 2013 YouTube video
Back to top

919 South Harrison Street

August 25, 2023 post by the Sturges Property Group on Facebook:

It is the FOURTH installation of FUN 👏 FACT 👏 FRIDAY! 👏

We all know and love the beautiful 5-story brick building at the corner of Wayne and Harrison, known as Harrison Place.

But do you know its history? 🤔

Harrison Place was built in 1900, and was originally home to the C.T. Pidgeon Millinery Company and the Fort Wayne Drug Company. 💊

The millinery company employed over 100 seamstresses to make women's hats. 👒 Advertisements for this company were seen everywhere, and one slogan included, "Why not have a hat that is becoming?"

The millinery company lasted until the mid-1920s, when its spot became the Patterson-Fletcher Department Store. 🏬 This department store was special, one of only a few department stores downtown. In fact, it was so popular that in 1930, a group of cracksmen blew open the safe and robbed the place. 💰

Also in the 1930s, the Fort Wayne Drug Company, which remained next door, was sued over Lincoln Tea because it did not have "curative and therapeutic" properties as claimed. 🍵

The 1930s were exciting times!

The Patterson-Fletcher department store and the Fort Wayne Drug Company eventually moved out of Harrison Place around the same time in the mid-70s. Later, Pappas Law Offices and a variety of other businesses occupied the space. ⚖️

After that, Shindigz Party Supply Company 🎉 moved its headquarters into the fourth floor in 2019, but the company unfortunately closed its doors in 2021.

Today, the building houses The FIND FW on the first floor, Bradley Co. on the second floor, and has the third, fourth, and fifth floors available for lease. 📋 You could conduct business on one of Fort Wayne's busiest intersections, home to Big Apple Pizza, JK O'Donnell's Irish Ale House, Creative Women of the World, Visit Fort Wayne Information Center, The Downtown Wellness Spa, Proximo, and more!

To see more details about Harrison Place, see our listing here, and call today!

https://sturgesproperty.com/properties/harrison-place

#fortwayne #fortwaynehistory #sturgespropertygroup #commercialrealestate #dtfw #downtownfortwayne

ARCH, Inc. The History Center Downtown Fort Wayne

Historic image credit to Allen County Public Library. See more here:

Historic Photos

Hartman Brother Heating & Air Conditioning

535 Green St., in New Haven, Hartman Brothers enters digital age Family business keeps up with leaps in heating, air technology by Rod King published December 30, 2013 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.

Hartman Turkey Farm

Was located at 7555 Maysville Road until 1995. Turkey Run Drive in Lake Forrest Extended subdivision, north of Goeglein's Catering, runs through the former farm. The log cabin was moved to Beside Still Waters Log Cabin Retreat in Spencerville, DeKalb County, Indiana. Stan W. Hartman obituary November 15, 2009 says he grew up on the family farm with his parents Walter and Wilhemine Hartman. This was discussed November 6, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.

A. Hattersley & Sons, Inc.

Oldest mechanical contractor in Indiana, A. Hattersley & Sons has persevered through the U.S. Civil War, both World Wars, several depressions, and the addition of twenty-seven states to the Union. The company has endured many challenges, and has successfully adapted to each of these by evolving its social conditions and technical standards for over 160 years. In 1856, Alfred Hattersley, an English immigrant, purchased the plumbing, gas-fitting firm of B. W. Oakley & Son. He relocated the operation onto Main Street, near the present Allen County Courthouse. For photos and more history see Our Story on ahattersley.com.

Hayden Park 1876 - 1986 - John Nuckol's Memorial Park

Located in the block at Jefferson Boulevard, Harmar Street, Maumee Avenue, and King Street, Street View photo at Google maps

1.09 acres, since 1876. Nuckols Park was purchased in 1876 from Fred Hayden for $4,500 and was known as Hayden Park until 1986. The famous statue of General Anthony Wayne resided in Nuckols Park until it was relocated to its current Freimann Square location in 1973. Now, the park features a memorial of its namesake, John Nuckols, the first African-American city councilman. The “East Central” monument now resides in Nuckols Park. This monument was previously located right across the street. A bend in E. Jefferson Blvd. was straightened and the monument was carefully relocated to the corner of Maumee Ave and Jefferson Blvd. Copied from Nuckols Memorial Park at City of Fort Wayne Parks & Recreation.

Hayden Park

Hayden Park in the Allen County Public Library Digital Collections at the Allen County Public Library.

Page 362 in the book The pictorial history of Fort Wayne, Indiana : a review of two centuries of occupation of the region about the head of the Maumee River by Griswold, B. J. (Bert Joseph), 1873-1927; Taylor, Samuel R., Mrs, Publication date 1917 on Archive.org, states: At the sunrise hour of the memorable day, a cannon — a souvenir from one of the British vessels captured in Perry's victory in 1813 — boomed a noisy greeting to the visitors, chief among whom was General Lewis Cass, one of the nation's foremost figures. This cannon, employed on many subsequent occasions, caused the death of one man and seriously injured several others. It was then used as a hitching post in front of the residence of Mrs. Clark Fairbank until 1916, when, upon the sale of the property, it was given to the city to be mounted in Hayden park.

Page 521 in the book The pictorial history of Fort Wayne, Indiana : a review of two centuries of occupation of the region about the head of the Maumee River by Griswold, B. J. (Bert Joseph), 1873-1927; Taylor, Samuel R., Mrs, Publication date 1917 on Archive.org, states: The city in 1886 also secured the site of Hayden park by purchase from II. W. Hanna, S. D. Hanna, Jessie E. Bond and C. H. Hanna (six lots, for $4,500), to which was added one lot by Mrs. Eliza Hanna-Hayden.

1911 Hayden Park fountain and plants
Image clipped from page 10 in Fort Wayne with might and main : Indiana's busiest, happiest city / [compiled and published by Ralph E. Avery] by Avery, Ralph E. (Ralph Emmett), comp, Publication date 1911 on Archive.org found in a Google Hayden Park image search. There is a Hayden Park postcard on flickr.

A Hayden Park search in the Allen County Public Library Digital Collections at the Allen County Public Libraryfinds many interesting photos including several phtotos of the dedication of the General Anthony Wayne statue and mentions in other documents.

Anthony Wayne in Hayden Park - 1951

By Randy Harter

Fort Wayne Reader

2016-08-08

This familiar statue of General Anthony Wayne astride his horse was first located here in Hayden Park on Maumee Avenue at Hayden Street upon its completion by Chicago sculptor George E. Ganiere and dedication in 1918. At that time, travelers coming to Fort Wayne from the east on the Lincoln Highway would have seen the statue as they approached the city where Maumee Avenue and East Washington Boulevard “pinch” together at this small one-and-a-half acre park. These grounds were purchased from Fred Hayden in 1876 and carried his name until the park was renamed Nuckols Memorial Park in 1986 for John Nuckols, the city’s first African-American city councilman who served on council for over 22 years. The statue of Anthony Wayne was removed from its granite plinth and relocated to a smaller base at the newly constructed Freimann Square in 1973. The brass bas-relief plaques of Little Turtle and Tecumseh on either side of the original base were salvaged and now hang in the downtown Allen County Public Libraryjust outside the genealogy department. Hayden/Nuckols park will soon be slightly enlarged as Maumee Avenue is currently undergoing realignment adjacent to the park and Indiana Tech.

Haynes House

3901 North Washington Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46804, Street View photo from Google maps, opened in 1952, John D. Haynes, architect Frank Lloyd Wright, Usonian design, listed on National Register of Historic Places in 2004.

  1. John D. Haynes House on Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.
  2. John D. Haynes House photo gallery on WikiWand.com.
  3. John D. Haynes House by Frank Lloyd Wright aerial photos on VirtualGlobeTrotting.com.
  4. Frank Lloyd Wright Elevation for the John D. Haynes House, Fort Wayne, Indiana, 1950 at Artsy.net.
  5. Project title: John D. Haynes house (Fort Wayne, Indiana). Object title: Working Drawing #1; Plot Plan Drawing number: 5110.001; Repository Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University at ArtStor.org.
  6. Should history trump private property rights? Home's owner wants its historic designation rescinded A column by Kevin Leininger Saturday, July 31, 2010 originally in The News-Sentinel newspapernow on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.
  7. Home's historic label defended by Dave Gong posted April 06, 2016 originally in The Journal Gazette newspaper now on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.
  8. Wright house owner files suit by Rebecca S. Green posted August 30, 2016 originally in The Journal Gazette newspaper now on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.
  9. Herber v. Barranda et al at Indiana Northern District Court Case Filed: Feb 27, 2017; Terminated: Mar 17, 2017
  10. The Joy of Growing Up in a Home Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright Growing up in a Frank Lloyd Wright house in Indiana meant living inside the famed architect’s imagination—an influence that stays with me still. by Thomas French published September 2016 in Indianapolis Monthly.
  11. Hard sell? Wright fans not buying it by Rosa Salter Rodriquez published August 7, 2016 in The Journal Gazette newspaper.
  12. 7 places in Fort Wayne designed by architects who made history by Kara Hackett posted August 15, 2018 on Input Fort Wayne.

Headwaters Park

See our Headwaters Park page.

Hedekin House

In 1834 Michael Hedekin, a native of County Westmeath, Ireland, located at Fort Wayne. In 1843 and 1844 he erected the famous Hedekin house, on Barr street, between Columbia and Berry streets: it was a substantial structure. In 1846 the tavern was opened, with Calvin Anderson as landlord. Includes a portrait from a photograph loaned by a grand-daughter, Miss Katherine Macdougal. From page 310 of The pictorial history of Fort Wayne, Indiana : a review of two centuries of occupation of the region about the head of the Maumee River Volume 1 by Griswold, B. J. (Bert Joseph), 1873-1927; Taylor, Samuel R., Mrs, Publication date: 1917 on Archive.org

It was demolished in 1968-69 after standing 124 years from pages 40-45 of The Columbia Street Story by Roy M. Bates and Kenneth B. Keller published in 1975 by the Fort Wayne Public Library at Archive.org.

Wabash & Erie Canal scene

The Fort Wayne & Erie canal scene of activities about the canal as it existed in early days. The large brick building in the background is still standing & was known as the "Hedekin House", an hotel, or rather a tavern. A very very significant building in early days. On north wall of bank lobby, First Natl. Bank, Fort Wayne, Indiana. (1876- ) Artist Robert Wadsworth Grafton (in who's who), Chicago, Ill. Courtesy of Charles M. Weizer, President First Natl. Bank, Fort Wayne, Indiana (see correspondence) 10/20/28 at the New York Public Library Digital Collections

See the Wabash & Erie Canal and First National Bank.

Hegerfeld Store

Photo of Chr. Hegerfeld store 1930 Broadway posted September 29, 2017 onthe original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook.

Heiny's First Subdivision

Our "Plat of the Week" is HEINY'S FIRST ADDITION. It is in Plat Book 12 page 43 in the Office of the Recorder of Allen...

Posted by Hofer and Davis,Inc. LAND SURVEYORS on Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 post by Hofer and Davis,Inc. LAND SURVEYORS on Facebook.

Our "Plat of the Week" is HEINY'S FIRST ADDITION. It is in Plat Book 12 page 43 in the Office of the Recorder of Allen County. It was prepared by A.K. Hofer and recorded on August 4, 1926. It is on the corner of Cass and State, 1 block East of Wells.

Heiny's Grocery

See Nick Heiny.

1899-1949 Heiny's Grocery Store

1899-1949 Heiny's Grocery Store ad posted March 13, 2022 with around 100 comments on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook.

1970s Heiny's Grocery

1970s Heiny's Grocery from February 9, 2023 post with around 175 comments on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook.

Heller Barbershop

Since 1913 on High Street, by Saint Mary's in the Nebraska Neighborhood. Started by Leonidas Heller who began cutting hair in the 1870s, taught his son, Perry, the trade in the 1890s, who in turn taught his two sons, Max and Bert, to barber in the 1920s. Bert's son Larry. Larry Heller is last of the line – and still going strong after 63 years in business published April 29, 2013 in The News-Sentinel newspaper. Formerly Fort Wayne's 100 Year Old Barber Shop by Eric Olson, 21Country Featured Reporterpublished March 15, 2016. Larry had worked there 69 years as of February 8, 2019 and would turn 88 on February 25, 2019 with photo posted and discussed February 8, 2019 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.

Heritage Trail

  1. Heritage Trail - 4 downtown trails with maps of stops for historical locations created by ARCH ( Architecture and Community Heritage).
  2. Along the Heritage Trail Mark the spot Where history happened by Tom Castaldi published September 2011 in Fort Wayne Monthly mentions a few of the local historical markers.
  3. Fort Wayne’s Heritage Trail Anniversary by Tom Castaldi published October 23, 2014 in the History Center Notes & Queries blog.

Highview Art & Collectibles Shop

929 E. Coliseum Blvd. has vintage and antique Fort Wayne collectibles, particularly advertising displays, from Old Fort Wayne is Highview Art & Collectibles' new niche by Bob Caylor published June 26, 2014 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.

Back to top

Hill's Meat Market

3203 Lower Huntington Road. Website: www.hillsmeatmarket.com, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hillsmeatmarket

The History Center

See our History Center page.

Hitzemann Tailors

Hitzemann Tailors was founded in 1878 by Gottlieb Hitzemann who immigrated from Germany. Their home at 911 Wilt Street was mentioned in a 2005 West Central Home Tour. In the early 1920s, 1101-09 Broadway at W. Jefferson became the permanent location. The business was then passed to one of his 10 children, Frederick, and subsequently to grandson Chester Gottlieb, then to Richard and Donald, and finally to Donald’s son Gary until his untimely early death in the 90s. Around 1963, the family bought the Betty Brite dry cleaning franchise and had about 7 stores in Fort Wayne. All of the offspring took their turn working in this family legacy that endured for over 100 years. Paraphrased from a January 17, 2023 post with photos by a great great granddaughter on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook. A March 17, 2017 comment on the original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook said Chester Hitzeman used to make the suits for Charles Nestel aka Commodore Foote and the Fairy Queen.

Hobby Ranch House

Was a Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise. Dave Thomas founder of Wendy's hamburger worked here.

  1. October 20, 2012 post on the original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook
  2. The Hobby Ranch House Restaurant, Fort Wayne, Indiana, ca. 1955 photo on Indiana Memory.
  3. How the Hobby House launched a fast food empire on Yesterday's America.

April 16, 2018 post by The History Center on Facebook:

Did you know Dave Thomas, the founder of Wendy’s, was a resident of Fort Wayne? In 1947, Dave’s family moved to Fort Wayne. At fifteen, he worked at the local Hobby House restaurant. When his family moved, Dave decided to stay and drop out of school. He lived at the YMCA and worked full-time. In 1950, Dave joined the Army. After his service, Dave returned to Hobby House and helped owner Phil Clauss grow his chain into Kentucky Fried Chicken franchises. He also met his wife, who worked at Hobby House. Dave became a colleague of Clauss and Colonel Sanders through the 1950s. In 1962, Clauss offered Dave an opportunity to revive his franchises in Columbus, Ohio. He did so successfully and became a millionaire when they were sold. This money helped him to found his own chain, Wendy’s. Today Wendy’s has over 6,500 locations. Featured are photos of the Fort Wayne Hobby House locations. The location of the Jefferson Hobby House is now fittingly the home of a Wendy’s. #sociallyhistory

Hofer and Davis, Inc. Land Surveyors

Was on West Wayne Street, founded by A.K. Hofer in 1915, a third generation land surveying firm has surveyed many of the big projects in Fort Wayne such as the Lincoln Tower, the City County Building, the main Allen County Public Library, IPFW, Headwaters Park, Glenbrook Mall, all Parkview hospitals and campus’s, and neighborhoods like Wildwood Park and Foster Park. Read more and watch the video Survey Company Turns 100: Helped Build Much of Fort Wayne by Eric Olsen published March 3, 2015 on 21Country at 21AliveNews.com. See lots of old photos on their Facebook page. On April 6, 2018 they annouced their merger with ForeSight Consulting, LLC. and address change to 1910 St. Joe Center Road, Suite 51 on their Facebook page.

Hoffman Meat Market

Was located at 1026 Maumee Avenue, operated by Henry H. (1867-1941) and Emelie (1875-1947) Hoffman who also lived in the building. A photo with a calendar in the background turned to August 1926 loaned by Nancy Poinsette DeLullo was posted October 24, 2014 by Indiana Album on Facebook.

Holiday Theatre I & II

949 Northcrest Shopping Center, "Opened in 1969 as the single screen Holiday, a second auditorium was carefully added in 1970 so that the building right up its demolition looked like a purpose built-twin. It was located on the grounds of the Northcrest Shopping Center. ... The theater survived into the 1990s and was eventually acquired by the Regal chain which closed it in 1997 or 1998, having built a rather nondescript six-plex (named the Holiday 6) just a few hundred feet away. The Holiday I & II sat vacant and forlorn for about five years, and the building was finally demolished in 2003." Read the rest from Cinema Treasures. See comments on Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana. See local Theaters such as the Broadway Theatre, Clyde Theatre, Embassy Theatre, Holiday Theater, Jefferson Theatre, Lyric Theatre, Majestic Theatre, Palace Theatre, Paramount Theatre, and Rialto Theatre. Theatre versus Theater trivia. Some say the spelling Theatre refers to a focus on live performances while Theater refers to the physical place. Others say it is the British spelling versus American spelling.

Holter's Roost

6623 Lincoln Highway East - Indiana State Road 930, Street View photo from Google maps is actually the backside of the building.

The entrance faces north on 6611 Old Maumee Avenue the old Lincoln Highway shown in this Street View photo from Google maps.
A photo of the name Holter's Roost in stone was shown in the comment to a February 4, 2023 post in True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook.

Listed as item: 14.9 The Castle Automart is on your right but partly obscured today and is a landmark building constructed in 1913, the same year that the original Lincoln Highway opened. It was initially known as Holter’s Roost, named after William Holterman, who owned a chicken and chicken feed empire on the Lincoln Highway here. The area was known as Holterman’s Crossing and trolley service ran just north of here on Maumee Ave. on page 5 in the 18-page document: INDIANA’S LINCOLN HIGHWAY BYWAY A Turn-by-Turn Road Guide For the 1913 Route West From Ohio to Illinois at LincolnHighway.org archived on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Listed as item: 18.6 The Castle Automart on your left is a landmark building erected in 1913, the same year as the beginning of the official Lincoln Highway. It was originally known as Holter’s Roost, named after William Holterman, who owned a chicken and chicken feed empire on the Lincoln Highway here. The area was commonly called Holterman’s Crossing and the trolley service stopped just north of here along Maumee Ave. Note: On the north side of this building is the third short remnant of Maumee Ave which dead ends after going back to the left (west) for about 2 blocks. Turn around and rejoin IN 930 eastbound. on page 14 of the document: INDIANA’S LINCOLN HIGHWAY BYWAY A Turn-by-Turn Road Guide For the 1928 Route East From Illinois to Ohio at LincolnHighway.org archived on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.

Bruce Butgereit posted November 4, 2018 on Indiana Lincoln Highway Association on Facebook.

One hundred and five years ago, [October 31, 1913] New Haven, Fort Wayne, and Churubusco, Indiana celebrated Halloween like never before and probably ever since. The dedication of the Lincoln Highway in this area included bands, motorcycles, and two motorcar parades from New Haven and Churubusco that met in Fort Wayne.

The marketing of the Lincoln Highway was contagious. Ladies, you are going to need a hat!

The building [castle-like Holderman Home] in the one photo, with ghosts and goblins present, still stands at an intersection of the original route of the Lincoln Highway (Old Maumee Rd.) and State Road 930. Today, it is a used car lot today but at the time of the dedication, it was known as Holter's Roost because of the "aristocrat" chickens raised there.

The view with the SUV in the forefront is the same view as the newspaper image. The porch overhand was added later. Recent road construction has created a dead end on Old Maumee requiring travelers to remain on SR 930 before getting back on the old LH.

The dedication image is from the Fort Wayne Sentinel, November 1, 1913. The ad is from the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette, Oct. 31, 1913.

September 17, 2020 post by ARCH, Inc. on Facebook:

Today’s Throwback Thursday building is for the birds; in this case it is chickens. The house on Old Maumee Road toward New Haven, has been referred to as the castle house. Holter’s Roost, named after William Holterman, was home to a chicken and chicken feed empire. At one time Holterman owned 50 acres on the historic Lincoln Highway. His farm had several buildings and enough acreage for his children to build on the land. A bridge that matched the stone from the house was located on the west side of the property. Stones for the house and bridge were gathered from the Maumee River. If you look on the north side of the house you will see “Holter’s Roost,” embedded in stone. Local architect, Henry Meyer, designed the c. 1915 house. It is a one-of-a-kind structure and is a testament to how one man can turn his hobby into a successful business.

February 4, 2023 post by G Dewey Powell on Facebook:

This "home" is located on the east side of Fort Wayne, and Old Maumee Road (Lincoln Highway) ran very near it, right up til the time they needed a railroad overpass. It just so happened that Lincoln Highway was in the way, so it was dead-ended and rerouted. I don't know much about the history of this amazing home, but it's now the office for a used car lot.

Honest Eats book is mentioned in a February 4, 2023 comment then shown in a comment to a February 4, 2023 post in True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook. Another comment stated: Michael Gotta, a German stone mason, immigrated here in the late 1880s, and did the stone work on this house as well as the one on Wells street across from the Edy’s Ice Cream plant. This stone house is item 9 - 3325 Wells Street on the ARCH Announces its Annual List of Endangered Structures by ARCH ( Architecture and Community Heritage) and shown in a photo Abandoned Stone House uploaded June 9. 2019 by Equinox27 on flickr.

Holter's Roost is shown for only a couple seconds around the 0:11 minute in the two-minute video Honest Eats by mtpubMay 6, 2016 on YouTube.
Keith Elchert and Laura Weston-Elchert and M.T. Publishing Company, Inc. have joined forces to bring you Honest Eats – Celebrating the Rich Food History of Indiana’s Historic Lincoln Highway. The book spotlights businesses and their owners; their love of history and the highway helps fuel their passion for both food and nostalgia. Packed with more than 200 contemporary and vintage photographs, Honest Eats also highlights featured locations and places from out of the past. This hardbound 9" x 12" publication contains 144 full-color pages with a color dust jacket. Honest Eats – Celebrating the Rich Food History of Indiana’s Historic Lincoln Highway is available for only $39.95. This limited edition book is a must have for your collection, as well as a wonderful gift for family members, historical societies, and libraries. Order your copies now! www.mtpublishing.com. The page in the book shown in the Facebook comment mentions the architect was Henry Meyer who designed churches, hospitals, schools and commerical buildings around Fort Wayne.

Back to top

Holsum Bread Company

136 Murray Street Street View photo from Google Maps of Calhoun and Murray Streets

The Home

420 West Wayne Street, was the stately residence of Robert C. Bell who built it in 1893.  For the past eighty years it has been occupied by the Klaehn, Fahl & Melton Funeral Home. Read more in LANDMARK ON WEST WAYNE KLAEHN, FAHL AND MELTON by Tom Castaldi, local historianposted by Emily Royer September 8, 2015 on History Center Notes & Queries blog.

Home Juice

Ray Yarman started on Reidmiller Street, until a fire destroyed it. Reopened on Covington Road corner of Freeman. Eventually moved to the Allen Dairy location on Northrop Road from his daughter Debra comment on February 25, 2017 discussion on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.

Home Telephone & Telegraph Company

August 27, 2018 post with photo by Daniel Baker on Facebook states: "The Building Inside—Home Telephone & Telegraph Company: c. 1929 & 2017" The former Home Telephone building sits on the northeast corner of Barr and Berry Streets. It was designed by local architect Charles Weatherhogg, who was responsible for the Anthony and Keenan hotels, North Side High School, and the Journal-Gazette Building among others. Unlike many buildings downtown, this one was fortunately spared from the wrecking ball. However, it came at a price. It lost its ornamental facade and windows; a floor was added and then the entire building veneered over in orange/red brick. If one looks closely, they can see where some of the features of Weatherhogg's original building remain. Since then, the location has been the home of GTE (remember the brown microwave tower that was part of the downtown skyline?) and currently Frontier. (This image is one of eleven completed for the Downtown Improvement District last January. A big thank you to ARCH, INC. for allowing the use of the vintage photograph). Home Telephone became General Telephone in 1956, then GTE, then Verizon, and is now Frontier Communications in 2019, from a comment about the photo Operators of Home Telephone Company, Fort Wayne, Indiana, 1907at The Indiana Album that was discussed February 16, 2019 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook and same photos published July 25, 2019 in Nonprofit interested in your old photos by Corey McMaken in The Journal Gazette newspaper.

Hoosier Stores

1032 Huffman Street at corner of St. Mary's Avenue July 2011 Street View photo from Google Maps

Several local buildings around town still have the Hoosier name plate above their door. Many businesses such as a Hoosier bakery, adverstising service, coal, supply, and paint store existed in the 1920s.

28 Hoosier Stores are listed in the 1924 Home Telephone & Telegraph Co.Telephone directory, Fort Wayne, Indiana on Archive.org.

Hooverville

Hoovervilles popped up around the country during the Great Depression. The largest in Fort Wayne was in the thumb of the 3 rivers now Headwaters Park. It was filled with tar paper shacks, traveling hobos, and misery, as homeless people tried to live through the great depression. By 1939 the last of the shanties had been torn down. Copied from Chapter Three Development in the 20th Century of the book Headwaters Park: Fort Wayne's Lasting Legacy by Geoff Paddock. The area was known as the Jail Flats when the first jail was built on the flat land there in 1825 until the last hanging in 1883. In 1884, a baseball park was built in the Flats with a grandstand to host a “world series” with Chicago playing Providence. A "Hooverville" was a shanty town built during the Great Depression by the homeless in the United States. They were named after Herbert Hoover, who was President of the United States during the onset of the Depression and was widely blamed for it. The term was coined by Charles Michelson, publicity chief of the Democratic National Committee. There were hundreds of Hoovervilles across the country during the 1930s and hundreds of thousands of people lived in these slums. Copied from Hooverville on Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.

Hope Hospital


The pictorial history of Fort Wayne, Indiana : a review of two centuries of occupation of the region about the head of the Maumee River by B. J. Griswold, 1917 on Archive.org

William H. Myers, a widely respected Fort Wayne surgeon, was the major force behind the founding of Fort Wayne City Hospital in 1878 where it opened in the residence of William S. Edsall on southwest corner of Main and Webster Streets. Neighbors forced removal to southwest corner of Hanna and Lewis Streets. In 1893 it moved to former homestead of Oliver S. Hanna at the southwest corner of Barr Street and Washington Boulevard. In 1891 (officially 1900) renamed Hope Hospital after large donations from the Jesse Williams family. In 1917 at West Lewis and Harrison Streets opening in 1918 as Hope Methodist Hospital after Indianapolis Methodist Episcopal Hospital took control, then in 1922 renamed Methodist Hospital. August 12, 1951 ground breaking and opening in 1953 as Parkview Hospital. Last location is now the Foellinger-Freimann Botanical Conservatory. Previous locations were at West Main and Webster Streets, Fort Wayne (1878); Hanna and Lewis Streets (1878–83); Barr Street and Washington Boulevard (1883–1916); 119 West Lewis Street (1917–53); 2200 Randalia Drive (1953– ), copied from Parkview Hospital at IndianaHistory.org.

  1. Photos of City Hospital on corner of Hanna and Lewis Streets and 1917 Hope Hospital on page 56 in the Fort Wayne book by Randolph L. Harter on a Google ebook.
  2. 1910 Hope Hospital photo posted March 29, 2017 onthe original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook.
  3. November 8, 2017 discussion on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.
  4. Parkview Hospital on Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.
  5. On page 480 in the 1917 book, shown above, The pictorial history of Fort Wayne, Indiana : a review of two centuries of occupation of the region about the head of the Maumee River by Griswold, B. J. (Bert Joseph), 1873-1927; Taylor, Samuel R., Mrs discussed the beginning of the three local hospitals in 1868-1869: City Hospital - renamed Hope in 1900, St. Joseph Catholic and Lutheran Hospital.
  6. A business location map was posted February 5, 2019 by Hofer and Davis, Inc. Land Surveyors on Facebookin response to an 1879 Fort Wayne City Hospital photo posted January 30, 2019 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.

Back to top

Horton Manufacturing Company

America's First Washer Builder was founded in 1871 by John Claus Peters and Henry C. Paul. It was located off West Main Street on Osage Street where they manufactured Horton Washing Machines. See Putting a spin on history With washing machines and more by Tom Castaldi, local historianfor Fort Wayne Magazine May 19th, 2017. There was a bad fire June 9, 1917 see Nebraska, IN Horton Manufacturing Co Fire, Jun 1917 from the June 9, 1917 Fort Wayne News newspaper on GenDisasters.com. Nebraska is a neighborhood in Fort Wayne.

  1. January 14, 2021 post by The History Center on Facebook:

    Starting in 1913, the Horton Manufacturing Company began the production of its first mechanical ironing machine and, by 1939, the company purchased the patent for its highly popular mangle. The mangle portable ironer was heavily marketed to American housewives as a way of easing the fatigue of ironing as well as securing more leisure time. Advertising for the mangle followed gender stereotypes of the mid-20th century, such as branding the appliance “the wonderful wife saver,” “work relief for the ladies,” “an aid to beauty,” and other phrasings that appear insensitive today. Even with the success of the mangle and their other products, Horton could not survive the competitive consumer market for laundry appliances after WWII and ceased operations in 1952. #sociallyhistory

  2. January 12, 2021 post by The History Center on Facebook:

    The Horton Manufacturing Company was founded in Bluffton, Indiana in 1871 by Dr. Theodore Horton to make the first mechanical washer for home use. By the early 1880s the small firm needed capital to meet demand for their products. With Fort Wayne investors, lead by John C. Peters, the company was incorporated and moved manufacturing to Fort Wayne in 1883. Over the years the company improved its designs and expanded distribution, making the claim by 1924 that it supplied half the washing machines to a worldwide market. Horton Manufacturing was located on Osage Street and employed between two and three hundred Fort Wayne residents. The company managed to survive the Depression and contributed to the war effort by producing 40 millimeter shell casings during World War II. It did not survive the competitive consumer market for laundry appliances after the war and ceased operations in 1952. #sociallyhistory

  3. 1890 ad for modern washing machine from Horton Manufacturing Company Fort Wayne, Indiana from Time Travelers - come back in time on Facebook and Harter Postcard on the original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook.
  4. Horton Hybrid Washer, Model 32 circa 1920 on 200 @ 200 2016 Bicentennial items at The History Center.
  5. Fort Wayne, IN: Horton Washing Machines October 4, 2017 200 @ 200 2016 Bicentennial items at The History Center.
  6. Putting a spin on history With washing machines and more Tom Castaldi May 19th, 2017 Fort Wayne.com.

Hotel Centlivre

Was located at 118 Baker Street (between South Calhoun and South Harrison). It it was built in 1909 across the street from the Pennsylvania Railroad Station (Baker Street Station) and a block away from the Wabash RR Station.

Hotel Keenan

See our Hotel Keenan page.

Hotel Indiana

See our Hotel Indiana page.

Hotel Rich

In a 1908 photo on Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne. A druggist and amateur botanist, Huxford served as a Fort Wayne City Council member beginning in the 1830s and also served three one-year terms as Fort Wayne mayor from 1846 to 1848, the announcement said.

Alloyus “Lewis” Houser House

Built sometime in the 1840s shown in Family Landmark Gets Permanent Protection posted March 14, 2017 by Indiana Landmarks.

Humane Fort Wayne

June 22, 2023 post by City of Fort Wayne Government on Facebook:

Humane Fort Wayne breaks ground on new facility on Leesburg Road.

Learn more: Humane Fort Wayne Capital Campaign

Humpty Dumpty Drive-In

October 14, 2020 post byHistoric 07 District - Fort Wayne on Facebook:

Today, we continue our list of the top endangered properties in the Historic 07 District. The purpose of this list is to raise awareness of these incredible properties.

At the corner of Fairfield and Packard sits a unique building, and perhaps an even more unique sign. Built in 1928, the Humpty Dumpty Drive-In building still stands, but it is unfortunately in disrepair. The site was initially the Indian Refining Company. Indian Refining patented the first "wax-free" oil under the Havoline brand. To boost sales and advertise the product, they offered to fuel the first plane to fly coast to coast. As of 1937, the site was owned by the Shewmaker Bros as a gasoline and oil service station. Then, by the mid-1940s, the site was vacant.

Soon after, the station was converted into a restaurant by Guy Scheib. “The restaurant, run by Scheib and his sons, was an overnight success in post-WWII Indiana, and they quickly began expanding, changing the name to Happy Humpty along the way, as the Humpty Dumpty trademark was unavailable.” Scheib went on to open other restaurants, as well. For example, “Lucky Steer was launched in partnership with Royce Shafer. At the peak of operations, there were around 23 company-owned restaurants in the two brand chain.”

At some point, Scheib was no longer involved with the business, and the restaurants closed in the 1980s. Scheib lived in Woodhurst but eventually relocated to Florida, where he passed away in 1999. The split in ownership developed another chain, CJ HighMarks, in Ohio by a former employee and District Manager, John Irmscher. There is still one Lucky Steer in existence today, which was purchased by Dwight Axe and his wife Carmen in 1983. The couple met as teenagers in the restaurant. That last restaurant still serves customers to this day in Wapakoneta, OH. Lucky Steer Restaurant. .

Hurshtown Reservoir

September 8, 2017 post by Hofer and Davis, Inc. Land Surveyors on Facebook:

For "Throwback Thursday" we share this from the March 28, 1969 edition of The Fort Wayne Journal-Gazette. I researched this and Hofer and Davis, Inc. DID NOT do any of the surveying! John Dehner of John Dehner, Inc. and Spears-Dehner, Inc. was a valued client over the years, and must be why it is noted "save" by Carl A. Hofer.

Hutner Building

Built in 1990, 924 S. Calhoun Street. The present-day structure replaced an older unsalvageable building once home to Hutner’s Paris fine clothier. See Hutner Building history with photos and timeline on midtowncrossing.net.

Huxford House

520 Tennessee Avenue Street View photo from Google Maps.
Five dates back to October 2007 show overgrown July 2011 through the most recent

Dr. Merchant Huxford House is a Greek Revial style built in the 1850s possibly with timbers still showing signs of whitewash from the last Fort Wayne built in 1815! Huxford was semi-retired when he built the house, dying in 1878. His property once included the land from what is now Lawton Park east to the St. Joseph River. He helped found the local Episcopal Church, the Allen County Agricultural Society and the Allen County Horticulture Society. See our 1852 Old Fort section.

  1. March 9, 2013 post by the Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana on Facebook:

    ARCH, Inc. photos of the Dr. Merchant W. Huxford House "Greek Revival c. 1854 Support beams in the basement are believed to be timbers from the original fort and still show signs of old whitewash."

    March 9, 2013 Dr. Merchant W. Huxford House photo album on ARCH Facebook: Greek Revival c. 1854 Support beams in the basement are believed to be timbers from the original fort and still show signs of old whitewash.Greek Revival c. 1854 Support beams in the basement are believed to be timbers from the original fort and still show signs of old whitewash.

  2. September 11, 2013 post by ARCH, Inc. on Facebook:

    We just agreed to acquire the Merchant-Huxford House at Tennessee and Spy Run Aves. See our newsletter or tomorrows papers for more details!!

  3. Direct Link to Original Fort Wayne Eric Olson February 7, 2014 INCNOW 24/7 News Source now 21AliveNews.com archived on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.

  4. March 5, 2014 post by ARCH, Inc. on Facebook:

    ARCH is happy to share the news that we received a $20,000 Commercial Facade Grant from the City of Fort Wayne - Municipal Government for exterior work at the Dr. Merchant Huxford House, 520 Tennessee Avenue.

    The Huxford House is significant because it was constructed by Fort Wayne's first pharmacist and full-time mayor. It contains timbers reclaimed from the original Fort Wayne structure.

    The Commercial Facade Grant Program has been very successful. Since 2009, nearly $1 million in public grants have brought about more than $3 million private investment, mainly in older buildings.

    Other 2014 grant recipients include the following:
    The 1925 S. Calhoun Building, 1925 & 1927 S. Calhoun St.
    The 2228 S. Calhoun Building, 2228 S. Calhoun St.
    Anthony Wayne Village Shopping Center, 4301-4355 S. Anthony Blvd.
    Coe Heating and Air Conditioning, Lower Huntington Road.
    Broadway Joe’s, 2514 Broadway
    Colony Shops of Waynedale, 6415-6441 Bluffton Road
    Curly’s Village Inn, 4205 Bluffton Rd.
    “New to You” Building, 1542 Sherman Blvd.
    Rialto Theater, 2614 S. Calhoun St.
    Anthony Medical Building, 5717 S. Anthony Blvd.
    TekVenture (former Allen County Sweeper Company), 1800 Broadway
    Waynedale News Building, 2505 Lower Huntington Rd. 

  5. July 26, 2014 post by ARCH, Inc. on Facebook:

    Exterior rehab begins at the c. 1845 Dr. Merchant W. Huxford House. Demo of shed and bad addition, tuck pointing and masonry repair, new sills and lintels. Stay tuned for more throughout the next few weeks. Thanks to City of Fort Wayne, Indiana Landmarks [ September 13, 2013 post ] and individual donors who made this possible!!

  6. July 30, 2014 post by ARCH, Inc. on Facebook:

    The guys from Preston Allen Homes have been working hard at the Merchant Huxford house and have made a lot of progress!

  7. Large, hand-hewn beams used during construction of the Dr. Merchant W. Huxford House reportedly may have come from the blockhouse of the last Fort Wayne, which was built in 1816 and demolished about the time the Huxford House was constructed.

    ARCH has designed the interior for use by a small, nonprofit organization or for professional offices, he said.

    The first floor will contain one large meeting space, a smaller meeting space and an office kitchen, he said. With the large room’s several big windows, the space will have an open, appealing feel.

    The second floor will be remodeled to include two large offices and two small offices, he said. It also will have a full bathroom in case the home’s buyer wants to use the second floor for living space.

    The attic area will be converted into a 20-foot-by-40-foot work space, Galbraith said.

    ARCH has kept an eye on the building for 30 years, he said, including putting it at various times on the organization’s Endangered Structures list. So he doesn’t mind taking a little extra time to restore it properly.

    Work progressing well on historic Huxford House Kevin Kilbane February 13, 2016 with five photos on archived on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.

    February 13, 2016 post by ARCH, Inc. on Facebook:

    A great News Sentinel feature by Kevin Kilbane updates readers on work ARCH is doing at the Merchant Huxford House.

  8. November 10, 2017 video post by ARCH, Inc. on Facebook:

    The Dr. Merchant Huxford House is one of our favorite restoration stories here at ARCH! What are your favorites? Post your pictures in the comments below! #preservation #history #archfw #community

    November 10, 2017 photos by

    ARCH ( Architecture and Community Heritage) on Facebook.
  9. Historic preservation group ARCH buys home with possible link to 1815's Fort Wayne by News-Sentinel staff reports September 12, 2013 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.
  10. History suitable for use ARCH plans new life for 1854 home by Rosa Salter Rodriguez May 11, 2014 in The Journal Gazette newspaper.
  11. The Fort Wayne City Council gave preliminary approval Tuesday night [July 15, 2014] to designating the historic Dr. Merchant W. Huxford House as a local historic district. Fort Wayne City Council gives preliminary approval to designating circa 1854 home as local historic district News-Sentinel staff reports was published July 16, 2014 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.
  12. February 13, 2016 post by The News-Sentinel on Facebook:

    ARCH, Inc. reports restoration work of the historic Huxford House on Tennessee Avenue built in 1854 is ongoing.

    Work progressing well on historic Huxford House by Kevin Kilbane was published February 13, 2016 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.

  13. March 4, 2019 post by ARCH, Inc. on Facebook:

    Researchers analyzed timbers of Merchant Huxford house to see if wood was part of old fort.

    The fort in the doctor’s house: using tree-ring growth patterns to discover historic Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA Christopher Baas, Taylor N. Davis & Darrin L. Rubino Received 14 Jan 2018, Accepted 21 Dec 2018, Published online: 01 Mar 2019 in Journal of Conflict Archaeology on Taylor Francis Online.

    March 11, 2019 ARCH, Inc. Comment:

    Here are the results: Out of the 34 samples taken, White Oak was the most common wood in the house. Some of the tree ring samples dated back to 1544, but most dated to the 1700s. The newest rings on the samples dated back to 1790-1851. Unfortunately, the analysis couldn't conclusively confirm that the timber used in the Merchant Huxford House came from the old fort. But given the dates, it is possible.

Hyde Brothers Books

1428 North Wells Street

Website: https://hydebros.com, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HydeBrosBooks

December 20, 2023 post by Hyde Brothers, Booksellers on Facebook:

Back to top

Page updated: