D Named Places in Allen County, Indiana

Dahm Brothers Roofing

Dahm Brothers Roofing 85th anniversary on January 1, 2013

Dairies of Fort Wayne

Eat More Dairy Products - They Are Your Best Foods

Article from Dec 6, 1922 The Fort Wayne Sentinel (Fort Wayne, Indiana) Dairy, Milk

Eat More Dairy Products - They Are Your Best Foods The Fort Wayne Sentinel, Fort Wayne, Indiana, Wednesday, December 6, 1922, Page 18. Eskay Dairy, Felger Dairy, Fort Wayne Dairy, Furnas Ice Cream, Gable Dairy, Pleasant Hil Dairy, Rosemary Butter, White Cross Butter

1923 - Thousands of Milk Bottles in cellars sheds Property of Daisies Return Promptly

Article from Dec 10, 1923 The Fort Wayne Sentinel (Fort Wayne, Indiana) 1923, Dairies
1923 - Thousands of Milk Bottles in cellars sheds Property of Daisies Return Promptly The Fort Wayne Sentinel, Fort Wayne, Indiana, Monday, December 10, 1923, Page 12
Early dairies newspaper article

A January 12, 1999 The Journal Gazette newspaper article written before Eskay Dairy was torn down discussed early Fort Wayne dairies. In the early years, a lot of the dairies were on farms and they brough the milk into town in 10-gallon cans. They'd dip it out - whatever you wanted, they'd dip into your container. Pleasant Hill Dairy was the first local dairy started in 1862 on the north side of Maysville Road 2 miles from city limits. Anthony Blvd was the city limits then.

3400 Lima Road Prairie Farms aka U.S. 27 showing Street View photo from Google maps

Allen Dairy was on North Clinton just before Coldwater split. In August 2022 the location was Praire Farms. 3651 Clinton Street before North Clinton splits south of Target and Glenbrook Mall into Coldwater Road became Hanchar Industrial Waste Management and I. Jones Recycling. Dairies in Fort Wayne included Allen, Eskay became Meadow Gold, Prairie Farms https://www.prairiefarms.com/, Sealtest, Schenkel, Walmart (2017) and Wayne Cooperative Milk Products. On January 2, 2023 a grandson of the Eskay Dairy owner posted a horse drawn delivery wagon photo receiving many comments about the horse drawn wagons delivering milk to various streets on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook . One comment mentioned Knispel Dairy on the west side of town at Goshen and St. Mary's until sold in 1960, another mentioned Tony Dairy but no details.

  1. Modern Kuehnert Dairy Farm.
  2. January 13, 2020 a photo posted by Foellinger Foundation on Facebook stated: This photo was taken on January 13, 1955, before the demolition of Isaly's Creamery. Soon after, construction began on the existing Fort Wayne Newspaper building, where Helene R. Foellinger was owner and publisher from 1936 to 1980. Berry Cafe and Deluxe Glass are now Henry's Restaurant. #downtownfortwayne #history
  3. From the diary of a dairywoman: The history of Allen Dairy Midge Chambers, Retired General Manager / Prairie Farms, October 29, 2018, on ProgressiveDairy. See photos and more at Story of Allen Dairy: Diary of a Dairy December 1938-December 31, 1993 by Midge Chambers, Retired General Manager Prairie Farms at the The Genealogy Center at the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Blog discussed March 22, 2024 on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook.
  4. June 1, 2020 post by The History Center on Facebook:

    Got Milk! Travel into rural Allen County and one is greeting by the sights of our local farms, including many dairy farms that provide our area with milk. Since 2001, World Milk Day is celebrated every year on June 1st to provide an opportunity to focus attention on milk and raise awareness of dairy’s part in healthy diets, responsible food production, and supporting livelihoods and communities. Many countries choose to do this on the same day lends additional importance to individual national celebrations and shows that milk is a global food. In celebration of World Milk Day, here are some milk related items from our collection. Enjoy a glass of milk today! #sociallyhistory

  5. July 19, 2020 post by The History Center on Facebook:

    As the temperature soars in July, the residents of Allen County look for different ways to beat the heat. One of the tastiest ways is by eating ice cream. Since 1984, on the third Sunday of July, the United States has celebrated National Ice Cream Day. Ice cream is a sweetened frozen food, made from dairy milk or cream and is flavored with a sweetener and any spice, such as cocoa or vanilla. The mixture is stirred to incorporate air spaces and cooled below the freezing point of water to prevent detectable ice crystals from forming. The result is semi-solid smooth foam that is solid at very low temperatures (below 35 °F). Ice cream shops and manufacturers first appeared in the local directories in 1886. Some of the past shops and manufacturers have included Herman’s (Monroeville), Seidel (Fort Wayne), Wayne Dairy (Fort Wayne) and Atz’s (Fort Wayne). These have all called Allen County home and many others continue to be a present industry within our community. Here are some pieces of our community’s ice cream heritage, including several recipes from the early 20th century. Take time today on National Ice Cream Day to enjoy some of your favorite ice cream! #sociallyhistory

  6. January 11, 2023 post by The History Center on Facebook:

    National Milk Day on January 11th commemorates the day many believe that the first milk deliveries in glass bottles began in the United States. In Fort Wayne, what to do with the local dairy farmers milk was a concerning problem well into the 20th century. In the 1930s, K.L. Stickler began dreaming of a mammoth smoke stack lit at night, presiding over a building to receive milk, but a building such as the community had never seen. Beginning in 1934 in a little office on Court Street, an idea was launched. The idea was to make it easier for local farmers to get their milk to quality markets. In the first years they went through several locations: Columbia Street, South Lafayette Street, and Berry Street. In the 1940s the group decided to build a receiving plant. Construction of the new building at 3651 North Clinton, begun in 1946 and was designed by local architect A.M. Strauss. Wayne Co-Operative Milk Products, Incorporated received its first milk in May of 1948. In 1951, the plant expanded with the addition of another receiving room, a powdered milk room, garage and also a modem office. To the fast-growing list of products was added condensed milk, ice cream, cheese and later Reddi-Whip. The company continued to grow with the addition of a retail outlet for their products. Growth continued for the company as they were able to purchase facilities in Antwerp and Cleveland, Ohio and Coldwater, Michigan. In 1978, the name of the company was changed to Milk Marketing, Inc, and ceased operations in 1980. The facility was later used as an industrial waste site, which later caught fire, destroying the Art Deco-Strauss designed building. Today the location has be environmentally cleaned and is the location of CarMax near Glenbrook Mall. Take some time today to celebrate National Milk Day with your favorite milk products. #sociallyhistory

  7. Photos of various delivery vehicles from horse drawn wagon to early truck deliveries posted February 24, 2024 on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook.

Dalman House

Today, we begin our list of the top endangered properties of the Historic 07 District - Fort Wayne. The list will not be in any specific order but hopefully will raise awareness of these incredible properties. 2732 Fairfield Avenue might be one of the oldest homes in the Historic 07 District - Fort Wayne. The house was either moved or built here around 1888 by the Dalman family. John Dalman was a leader in Pleasant Township and later became the County Treasurer. He made inroads with some of the significant leaders of the day, including the Bond family (Packard Piano). John passed away in 1905. John's wife, Louisa, maintained the home for the next 23 years until she passed away in 1928. Recently, their great-granddaughter (who is now 100 years old!) stated this about the home and the Dalmans: "I do remember the house on Fairfield Avenue. I remember a large porch, which ran along the side and front of the house. I even remember the inside a little bit. I do remember that my great grandmother took care of me there occasionally when I was little when my mother and grandmother went shopping downtown. I remember that she wore high-button shoes and long dark dresses. She died of stomach cancer when I was eight years old. I remember her as a very nice person." After 1928, the home was vacant for a portion of the 1930s and has changed hands over the last decades; it is currently vacant and owned by a company. How wonderful would it be to see this home brought back to life? Copied from July 27, 2020 post with photos byHistoric 07 District - Fort Wayne on Facebook.

Davis Pontiac

Discussed April 2, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.

Davisson House

Homer Davisson dean of Indiana artists, died in 1957, had a studio at 331 W. Pontiac Street. See photos on Homer Davisson House blog. History vs. bureaucracy: Which will prevail? Studio of 'dean of Indiana artists' struggles for survival by Kevin Leininger published April 2, 2014 in the The News-Sentinel newspaper.

Dawson's Hot Dog Stand

A small round stand outside the Southern Heights Baptist Church at the corner of south Anthony and Rudisill boulevards for nearly half a century is one of those almost mythical Fort Wayne foods. It closed for good in the early 2000s and since then fans of the dogs have chased the sauce wherever it has popped up. Many people have claimed to have the recipe. None of the several owners actually owned the building. The building and the property it sat on was owned by the church. The late James Dawson Jr. and his wife, Virginia, bought the business in 1951, but they, and the three owners who followed, never had a lease or rent to pay. They just had to donate some of their profits – 7 to 10 percent, depending on who you ask – to the church. Tim Replogle family took over from the Dawsons in 1977. Copied from a longer article with more details called Dawsons giving sauce to city Brothers hope to clear air on recipe variations by Ryan Duvall published October 26, 2018 in The Journal Gazette newspaper. Let's be frank: Memories can be savored even after iconic stand's demise by Kevin Leininger published June 10, 2017 in The News-Sentinel newspaper. Photo and discussion August 18, 2017, several more photos August 25, 2017, Dawson search, and August 15, 2019 a similar Archer Root Beer stand was discussed with a copy of a 1990s Yesterdays column by Nancy Venderly published in the The News-Sentinel newspaperon You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.

Deister Machine Company

Founded in 1912, makes vibrating screens – equipment used to separate different sizes of gravel, sand, stone and coal. Deister co-owner marks 50 years Sherry Slater of The Journal Gazette newspaper October 23, 2012.

Devil's Hollow

See Lillian Lynn. The Story of Devil's Hollow (Vandola Road); Back in the early 50's, a couple in their teens were out on a date and about midnight they were on their way home and decided to take a shortcut down Vandola Rd. As they were driving down the road they heard a big pop sound. Flat tire. He pulled off the road and shaking his head he told her that he did not have a spare. He told her to lock the doors for he had to go for some help and he would be back shortly. An hour went by and he still hadn't come back. The wind was picking up and she kept hearing scratches on the top of the car from the branches. Another hour went by and he still hadn't returned. She opened the door...stepped out and ..he was hanging by his feet from the tree above the car. It was his fingernails scratching the top of the car. Two different conversations with comments July 7, 2012 and March 15, 2013 onthe original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook. The Legend of Devils Hollow Fort Wayne, IN. Authored by The Hollows Tattoo & Art Festival discussion March 13, 2017 and general discussion July 4, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.

Didier Meats

Tim Didier Meats About Us

Diehm Museum

Closed in 2007 was one of The Seven Wonders of Fort Wayne by Michael Summers on Fort Wayne Reader. Legendary Locals of Fort Wayne, by Randolph L. Harter, Craig S. Leonard discussion August 2, 2015 on You know you've lived in Fort Wayne too long when... Private Facebook group. January 17, 2017 discussion with photos on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.

Diffendarfer House

The Diffenderfer House located on DeWald Street near Saint Patrick’s Church was built in 1886. The Queen Anne-style home was designed and built by prominent Fort Wayne architects John F. Wing and Marshall S. Mahurin. Copied from 135-year-old south Fort Wayne home hoping for historic designation from City Council Tuesday published July 5, 2021 on CBS WANE-TV NewsChannel 15. Other buildings in Fort Wayne designed by the firm include John H. Bass Mansion, aka “Brookside,” on the Spring Street campus of the University of Saint Francis and St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1126 S. Barr St. Because of its architectural significance, it meets one of the criteria under the Fort Wayne Historic Preservation and Protection ordinance. William Alcorn Diffenderfer bought the lot in Williams Addition in 1884, but it appears that Benjamin O. and Isabella Diffenderfer were owners of a home on the property in 1887 city directory. The widowed Isabella left the home to her son and he and his family lived there until around 1918. Christian and Ida Schwarze owned the home from around 1919 to 1971, and Steve Black brought the house in 1976 before marrying Yolande. Copied from July 7 - Fort Wayne City Council OKs historic status for house published July 6, 2021 by Greater Fort Wayne Business Weekly.

135-year-old south Fort Wayne home seeking historic designation published July 5, 2021 by CBS WANE-TV NewsChannel 15on YouTube

Dix-Kelly Electric Shop

In April of 1918 Frank J. Dix, Superintendent of the City Light Plant, and Robert E. Kelly, Chairman of the Board of Public Works, formed the company Dix-Kelly Electric Shop, Inc. and made their store and offices at 216 East Berry Street. Newspaper advertisements of the time show their store sold all things electric including vacuum cleaners, washing machines, irons, toasters, light fixtures, sewing machines, and fans. More importantly Dix-Kelly became one of the largest local electric wiring contractors of the era and had photographs taken of over 50 of the larger houses and buildings that they completed during the period of 1919 – 1930. This rare collection of images is courtesy of ARCH, Inc. [ ARCH ( Architecture and Community Heritage)] which has worked to celebrate, protect, and preserve architecture and community heritage in Allen County and Northeast Indiana since 1975. Image research by Randolph L. Harter. Copied from the description of The Dix-Kelly Collection at the Allen County Public Library Digital Collections at the Allen County Public Library.

November 20, 2022 post by ARCH, Inc.on Facebook:

Thank you to ARCH member Randy Harter for scanning these images and making them available to the public through Allen County Public Library Community Album. Indiana Landmarks The History Center Downtown Fort Wayne

Shared the November 30, 2022 post by Randy Harter on Facebook:

I’ve had the pleasure this past month of being allowed to digitize, research and catalog the Dix-Kelly Collection for ARCH and the Allen County Public Library Genealogy Department. Dix-Kelly was one of the largest electrical contractors in Fort Wayne during the pre-depression 1920-1930 era and did the wiring on many of the largest building projects in the city within that period. These included such structures as the Lincoln Bank Tower, North and South Side High Schools, St. Joe Hospital, and Hotel Keenan among 50 others. Dix-Kelly had photographs taken of these buildings as they were completed and it is those that make up this rare collection being permanently shared with the ACPL/Community Album by their owner ARCH, Inc. You can now browse these photographs on the Community Album at: http://contentdm.acpl.lib.in.us/

Dodge Displays

August 21, 2023 post by the Genealogy Center on Facebook:

Do you remember Rice Oldsmobile, Stately Women's Apparel, or Vic's Typewriters? They all had one thing in common - Dodge Displays!💡

After working for the ArtKraft Sign Company in Lima, Ohio, Walter Scott Dodge moved to Fort Wayne in 1926, taking a job with G. H. Sign on Pearl Street. He then started his own company, Dodge Displays, in the early 1930’s and continued in business until his retirement in 1970. Dodge Displays was located at 472 Wiebke, just off the corner of Oxford and Warsaw Streets. Dodge, who specialized in neon signs, designed, constructed and erected signage for businesses primarily in Fort Wayne, but also within a 50 mile radius of the city.

Check out the collection here: Dodge Sign Collection

Do It Best Corporation

(rendering courtesy of RTM Ventures) at WISHTV.com

(rendering courtesy of RTM Ventures) from Do It Best makes Electric Works location official at WISHTV.com. See Google Maps.

Website: https://www.doitbest.com/, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/doitbestcorp/, LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/do-it-best-corp./

In 2022, moved to Electric Works.

  1. Do It Best Makes Electric Works Location Official Wednesday, July 29, 2020 InsideIndianaBusiness
  2. Electric Works anchor tenant Do it Best says the project is already boosting talent attraction, Do it Best is the largest privately held company in Indiana and the future anchor tenant of the Electric Works campus. Kara Hackett, February 17, 2021 Input Fort Wayne.
  3. Do It Best Leverages Housing Industry Expertise To Reinvent Itself And The City Of Fort Wayne, Indiana Jennifer Castenson, Contributor at Forbes.com.
  4. December 5, 2022 was a big day for Do it Best. It’s the first day in 75 years employees reported to work at a location other than the offices on Nelson Road in New Haven. Do it Best is the anchor tenant of Electric Works and moved its corporate headquarters to Building 26 on the Electric Works campus. On Monday, about a quarter of the nearly 500 Do it Best employees arrived. More employees will move in the rest of this week. Do it Best moves into Electric Works Alyssa Ivanson, December 5, 2022 CBS WANE-TV NewsChannel 15.
  5. Dec. 12 - Do it Best Corp moves into Electric Works Mary Anne Gates Greater Fort Wayne Business Weekly December 12, 2022

    January 27, 2023 post by Electric Works on Facebook:

    Our campus sign is installed, and now we are ready to light it! Join us on campus Monday evening as we celebrate the inaugural lighting of the Electric Works and Do it Best sign.

  6. Video: New Do It Best Electric Works sign

  7. The Fort Wayne community took part in history Monday evening with the official lighting of the sign atop the Electric Works campus.

    Posted by WANE 15 on Monday, January 30, 2023

    January 30, 2023 post by WANE 15 on Facebook.

    Electric Works Do it Best sign lights up Fort Wayne sky by Joe Carroll, Clayton McMahan, posted: January 30, 2023 on

    CBS WANE-TV NewsChannel 15. Video: From General Electric to Electric Works.
  8. January 31, 2023 post by Weigand Construction on Facebook.
    What an iconic moment for our community! 💡 It's been quite a while in the making, but the new Do it Best Electric Works sign has officially been lit. If you didn't get the chance to come to the lighting ceremony last night, make sure you ✨look up✨ next time you're on Broadway! #BuildingLandmarks #ElectricWorks #FortWayne

  9. Looking to for ways to improve his customers experience at his hardware store, led Fort Wayne businessman and native...

    Posted by The History Center on Thursday, March 21, 2024

    Thursday, March 21, 2024 post by The History Center on Facebook:

    Looking to for ways to improve his customers experience at his hardware store, led Fort Wayne businessman and native Arnold Gerberding to develop a co-op named Hardware Wholesalers, Inc. (HWI), later to become Do it Best Corp. HWI was began with the investments of 100 independent business owners in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio. Gerberding used the co-op model so HWI members could get better volume pricing from vendors by buying together rather than on their own. Independent hardware stores became members of the cooperative and its sole shareholders as well. The first warehouse facility opened in 1948, and HWI added a private truck delivery system in 1955. When Gerberding retired in 1967, HWI had more than 600 members and had over $35 million in annual sales. Don Wolf succeeded Gerberding and opened HWI's first distribution center outside of Fort Wayne in Cape Girardeau, Missouri. Today, there are eight centers located across the US as well as five regional lumber offices. Mike McClelland succeeded Don Wolf as president in 1992. During his tenure, the co-op expanded internationally, primarily in Central and South America and the Caribbean. Here are some items from our collection from HWI. #sociallyhistory

    This is the 1st of 2 posts on HWI and Do it Best, make sure to watch for the conclusion next Thursday.

  10. Today we share the final part in the story of HWI and Do it Best. Looking to for ways to improve his customers...

    Posted by The History Center on Thursday, March 28, 2024

    Thursday, March 28, 2024 post by The History Center on Facebook:

    Today we share the final part in the story of HWI and Do it Best.

    Looking to for ways to improve his customers experience at his hardware store, led Fort Wayne businessman and native Arnold Gerberding to develop a co-op named Hardware Wholesalers, Inc. (HWI). Throughout the years, the company grew and expanded across the country and internationally. In 1998, HWI combined with Minnesota based regional co-op, Our Own Hardware. This move brought together the two most member co-ops in the hardware business. The histories of these companies are closely intwined as Gerberding talked with George Hall, founder of Our Own Hardware, to get ideas before launching his own hardware co-op. One of the most recognizable changes from their merger was the change of the co-op’s name from HWI to Do it Best Corp. This was done to tie together all of its members, truck fleets, store designs, and advertising. In 2002, Bob Taylor succeeded Mike McClelland as Do it Best Corporation’s President and CEO. Dan Starr became the next leader of the hardware co-op in 2016, a position that he still occupies today. Today, Do it Best Corp., based in Fort Wayne, Indiana, is the only US-based, member-owned comprehensive and fully integrated hardware, lumber, and building materials buying cooperative in the home improvement industry. With annual sales of nearly $5 billion, Do it Best serves thousands of member-owned locations across the United States and in 54 other countries. The hard work and dedication of its 1,800 employees still exemplify the philosophy of its founder Arnold Gerberding almost 80 years later. Here are some items from our collection from Do it Best. #sociallyhistory

Doswell & Kover

We'll be the last to let you down 103rd anniversary on January 1, 2013

Back to top

Drive-in Movie Theaters

During their 1950s peak, there were more than 5,000 drive-in theaters across the country, but according to DriveInMovie.com there are fewer than 230 remaining. Indiana had 128 in 1955 but now has 19 [in 2020]. Allen County's first, the Fort Wayne Drive-in on Bluffton Road, opened in 1947 and was followed by the Lincolndale, the Hillcrest, the East 30 and the Sunset by 1954. The Hillcrest on Tillman Road (1987) and the East 30 (1991) were the last to close. The only area drive-ins remaining are the Auburn-Garrett Drive-In (it opened in 1951), the Huntington Twin Drive-In (1950) and Wabash's 13-24 Drive-In (1951). Copied from Drive-in theaters are facing tough season by Blake Sebring published April 23, 2020 in The Journal Gazette newspaper. Discussion about a 1939 The Drive-in Theater, believed to have been located "somewhere close" to the old Fortmeyer's, near the intersection of 33 & W. Washington Road, by Randy Harter, Fort Wayne historian and authorposted July 26, 2018 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook. Drive-ins were discussed December 14, 2022 on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook.

Driving Park

Driving Park
Fort Wayne Aviation Museum image

In November of 1892 Frederick J. Hayden sold a portion of his property on the northern outskirts of Fort Wayne to a newly formed organization known as The Fort Wayne Driving Association. The 100 acres involved in the sale were originally a portion of the vast land holdings amassed by pioneer entrepreneur Samuel Hanna. The Driving Association included the wealthiest of Fort Wayne residents. On Thursday, October 9, 1902 more than 16,000 were on hand for the festivities which included Fort Wayne’s first auto race. Saturday, October 23, 1910 flying in the air above Driving Park, Miss Blanche Stuart Scott  became the first woman in America to make a solo public flight by airplane. Paraphrased from Fort Wayne Driving Park February 11, 2013 History Center Notes & Queries blog by Mark Meyer and The amazing flying Miss Blanche Scott by RICHARD BATTIN October 19, 1994 in the SUMMIT CITY HISTORY NOTES inCityscapes - People & Places series of articles from the archives of The News-Sentinel newspaper.

  1. AREA 5: DRIVING PARK This area was once a race track and park platted in 1913 by Louis Curdes at Neighborhood Areas at NorthsideNeighborhoods.com.
  2. Discussed September 5, 2017 and closeup of a part of a panorama photo of an August 1910 Fort Wayne Motorcycle Race at Old Driving Park was posted March 31, 2018 and April 27, 2018 a graphic overlayed a current map in You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.
  3. Photo Fort Wayne Public Schools 1st Annual Field Day at The Driving Park Fort Wayne, INone of two Driving Park images in the Allen County Public Library Digital Collections at the Allen County Public Library.
  4. Driving Park Addition/Kensington Blvd Ordinance 609, City Of Fort Wayne. Community Development. 5/13/1913. Eff. 05-13-1913. no plan.. at the The Genealogy Center at the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana
  5. February 25, 2020 post by ARCH, Inc. on Facebook:

    The Driving Park-Seven States Historic District could be the next Fort Wayne neighborhood added to the National Register.

    A proposed historic district is bounded roughly by Vermont Avenue on the south, State Boulevard on the north, Florida Drive and East Drive. Although those streets don't seem correct when looking at a modern map. Copied from KEVIN LEININGER: ‘Driving Park’ deserves to be remembered, and historic status would help published February 25, 2020 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.






  7. December 16, 2022 post with a 1912 photo on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook stated: This is a 1912 aerial photo of the very first racetrack in Fort Wayne called The Driving Park built in the 1890s. Tap on pix to expand it and notice State St. and Randallia Dr. N. Anthony Blvd was not built yet. Plus see the trolley cars that brought citizens from downtown to the grand stands.
  8. Driving Park at SpeedwayandRoadRaceHistory.com.
  9. Driving Park Neighborhood Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/118688011529206

Duck Alley

An interesting look back in time in an article titled The Inhabited Alleys of Fort Wayne--Duck Alley Is a Disgrace to City also on Fold3 on page 9 in the January 25, 1913 Fort Wayne Daily News newspaper is now the Headwaters Park area. It was posted and discussed January 1, 2020 byHistoric 07 District - Fort Wayne on Facebook. It is shown as Duck Street between Clinton Street and South Barr Street on the south side of Headwaters Park on current Google map. Recently Duck Street land strip transferred to Redevelopment Commission by Rosa Salter Rodriguez published August 14, 2019 in The Journal Gazette newspaper. Was also mentioned in a comment May 22, 2022 on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook

Duck Creek

Now Duck Street - A large City Mill was built in 1842 near what is now between Clinton and Barr streets engulfed by the south end of Headwaters Park. Ole Duck Creek by Tom Castaldi published December 1, 2015 History Center Notes & Queries blog.

Duck Race

Weigand Construction Duck Race Raises money for SCAN (Stop Child Abuse & Neglect) formed in 1974. The Duck Race started in 1988 when plastic ducks sponsored by financial donations to raise money are released in June to float down the St. Joseph River with cash prizes for winners crossing the finish line. SCAN’s programs and services, directly affected more than 28,500 children and adults in 2011, reach 19 counties in northeast and north-central Indiana. WANE-TV and WMEE-FM 97.3 were media sponsors for the 2012 year’s race.

Dudlo Company

History of the Dudlo Manufacturing Company - Bates, Roy M 1965 Archive.org. “made Fort Wayne the magnet capital of the world”. George A. Jacobs, its owner, was a native of Dudley, Mass. and, in 1906, a “promising figure at Sherwin Williams”. As the market for the automobile was growing, existing wire was not capable of performing the job needed to help spark and fire engine components. The wire was too thick and the veneer cracked and peeled too easily. Jacobs worked for three years and finally came up with a “liquid mixture which made obsolete the tedious process of winding fine wire with cotton fabric…..The Old Fort News article “Wire Wizards” in the 1970 Vol. 33 No. 1 edition gives a more detailed description of the origins of magnet wire for those who are interested. From the Model T to Spacecraft from The History Center Blog Posted by August 7, 2012.

History of the Dudlo Manufacturing Company by Bates, Roy M; Keller, Kenneth B Publication date 1965 on Archive.org.

January 20, 2024 post byHistoric 07 District - Fort Wayne on Facebook:

Fort Wayne has a unique history of innovation stretching back to its founding. It's incredible, and sometimes missed, that some of that history is captured in the homes throughout our historic neighborhoods. Today is one of those stories, starting with the very foundation of the United States magnet wire industry.

The story begins today on Fairfield, at the corner of Pontiac and the entrance of Beechwood. The home that was once there was originally built in 1919 by John Stillman, with Charles Weatherhogg designing it. During the 1920s and 1930s, though, George Jacobs lived there with his family. The home seated prominently next to one of the most storied homes of the time, the Noll Mansion. George, though, was the main reason Fort Wayne became known as the magnet wire capital of the world.

Like many Fort Wayne innovators, George was brought here to work as a chemist in the GE plant. It was there he met the love of his life, Ethel Mossman. George was born in Dudley, Massachusetts, and found another opportunity with Sherwin Williams in Cleveland while at GE. During these years, George worked day and night to solve a technical but common problem at the time; wire in the early 1900s was incapable of sparking and firing engine components.

Now, you can imagine in the early 1900s, with the automobile being developed, this was a considerable problem. The solution was creating a liquid mixture that made a former process (winding wire with cotton fabric) obsolete and acted as an insulation for the wire. Excitement for what he created spurred George to ask Ethel to be his wife finally. Ethel's father, W.E. Mossman, wishing his family to be nearby, enticed George to return to Fort Wayne by offering him a building for his fledgling company, the Dudlo Company.

The Dudlo Company became a significant supplier for Ford, efforts in World War I, and pretty much any company needing this newly developed magnet wire. The business peaked in the late 1920s, merging with others to create a Fort Wayne headquartered magnet wire powerhouse. Jacobs, unhappy with the new company, started INCA, which eventually became Phelps Dodge, Jacobs' protégé, Victor Rea, started Rea Magnet Wire, and Essex purchased the old Dudlo manufacturing space.

These three companies provide 2/3 of the world's magnet wire, all thanks to the man on Fairfield. While the home is no longer there, I hope you enjoy some of the pictures. I want to thank Nathan Bienz, Kristy Michelle, True Fort Wayne Indiana History, and The History Center for the photos and information.

Picture 1: Home at Fairfield and Pontiac

Picture 2: Dudlo Manufacturing

Picture 3: George Jacobs

Picture 4: Noll Mansion (far left Jacobs' home in picture)

Picture 5: Noll Mansion - Amazing!

Picture 6: Rendering of Jacob's Home and Noll Mansion

Creighton-Home Neighborhood Association

Dulin, Ward & DeWald, Inc.

(DWD) 74th anniversary on January 1, 2013

Dygert Pawn Brokers

A January 22, 2023 post by Indiana Album on Facebook stated:

Fort Wayne, circa 1910 - Owner William W. Dygert (1872-1940), center, poses with employees in front of his Dygert Pawn Brokers at 227 E. Main Street. He moved into the brick building in early 1908 and occupied the space until his death in 1940. Items for sale include jewelry, a trunk, suitcases, a bicycle, rocking chair, and a coat. He also advertised as an optician. To the right is Gust. Schubert's Dyeing and Dry Cleaning establishment. This whole block between Clinton and Barr was razed and is now the site of Freimann Square, a four-acre park. 










Back to top

Page updated: