1142 Lafayette Street building photo was discussed as a former Tinner/Tin Smith in 1909 and Speed Shop over its many years September 11, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
Lafayette Medical Center
Lafayette Medical Center: A 20th Anniversary Retrospective at The Genealogy Center. Has various sections mostly people such as Eugene Butler, Dr. Alfred Stovall, Richard Moake, "Mother" Hampton, Andrea Dortch, Eunice & John Cato, Ed Smith, Oddie Ridley, Juanita Henderson, Rose Squires, Creasie Hill, Synovia & Waymon Brown, Rachael Rogers, Alan McGee, Sam Young, Joyce McGown, Elizabeth Santana, Eugene Butler contd., Shirley Woods, Cozey Baker, Mary Barksdale, Jawad Alzayadi.
January 9, 2013 Lafayette Place Historic District on Fort Wayne’s south side was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Lafayette Place is bounded roughly by Lafayette Street on the east, Calhoun Street on the west, McKinnie Avenue on the north and Pettit Avenue on the south. The Lafayette Place Historic District is significant in architecture, landscape architecture and community planning, the ARCH news release said. Read more Lafayette Place neighborhood named to National Register of Historic Places It was one of three districts nominated by local group ARCH that received listing approval by News-Sentinel staff reports, January 19, 2013.
Lakeside Park locally famous rose gardens and Ice Skating on the pond. January 31, 2017 discussion on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
The only natural lake in Allen County includes Spring Lake Woods and Bog, an ACRES Landtrust preserve, that includes a sphagnum bog with native flora including five foot tall cinnamon ferns giving a lush tropical feel in a northern muckland woods. Not open to the public as of summer 2014.
Lake Shore Hotel
Was located at the intersection of Cass Street and Wells Street just North of the Wells Street Bridge. Photo posted August 8, 2019 by Hofer Davis Surveyors on Facebook.
Lakeside Park with photo collage by Randy Harter, Fort Wayne historian and author, published November 5, 2018 in the Fort Wayne Reader. This article was also discussed November 6, 2018 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
The Landing is Fort Wayne’s and the State of Indiana’s First Historic District.
The Landing Historic District in downtown Fort Wayne was designated in 1965, and it was the city’s first historic district. In fact, The Landing was the first historic district of any kind in the state of Indiana. From item #2 on 10 Things to Know About Historic Preservation in Fort Wayne at City of Fort Wayne. The Landing was home to Fort Wayne's first post office, theatre and hotel. This block of West Columbia Street was called The Landing because it was known as "The Docks" in the Wabash and Erie Canal era, and it was near three basins for canal boats to turn around. It's the oldest commercial area in Fort Wayne. In the 1960s, it became one of the city's first historic preservation projects receiving gas lights, ornamental trees and a new name
The Landing for the Wabash and Erie Canal that was just to the north of the existing buildings. The Landing was known for its fine hotels, such as the Randall, which was being historically restored in 2018 and converted into loft housing.
- How The Landing and Dock Street Got Their Names (It's for the Same Reason) by Shane G.posted on August 10, 2012 on Visit Fort Wayneblog.
- Photo of an 1883 cornerstone origin just off of Harrison (under the RR elevation) between Columbia and West Superior was discussed August 19, 2018 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
- Read more in Can The Landing's luster be restored? Downtown Trust is buying properties there and will seek developer by Kevin Leininger was published March 15, 2014 on The News-Sentinel newspaper
- Things you should know about downtown Fort Wayne by Kara Hackett was published April 17, 2014 in the The Journal Gazette newspaper.
- The Landing and Columbia Street by Tom Castaldi April 11, 2013 on the History Center Notes & Queries blog.
- The Landing is Stop # 15 on the ARCH ( Architecture and Community Heritage) Central Downtown Trail.
- Some interesting history and future plans for the Landing on a new Columbia Street vision by Mac Parker published January 18, 2015 in the The Journal Gazette newspaper.
- Fort Wayne’s District of Columbia: The Landing nears a rebirth with photos and WANE-TV NewsChannel 15video interview with Mayor Tom Henry published February 25, 2016 on Vision 2020 NEIndiana.com.
- Discussed March 5, 2017 onthe original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook.
- Landing on a new Columbia Street vision by Mac Parker published March 16, 2016 in The Journal Gazette newspaperstates:
When Fort Wayne was originally platted in 1829, it was envisioned that Main Street would be the primary location for commerce and business. The Wabash and Erie Canal changed that and made Columbia Street the central hub of the city for more than 100 years. The canal was also the catalyst that changed Fort Wayne from a village of 1,000 people to a city prominent in the whole Midwest – and with one of the longest and most colorful histories west of the Appalachians. When Columbia Street was laid out, it was four blocks long – three blocks lying east of Calhoun Street and one block west of Calhoun. The City-County (now Rousseau) Building, Freimann Square, Arts United Center and the Fort Wayne Museum of Art now occupy where East Columbia Street once was. West Columbia Street still very much exists and has come to be known since canal days as "The Landing." On the west end of Columbia Street was the Orbison Turning Basin, a space wide enough that canal boats could be turned; this was also the main port for Fort Wayne, hence the name, "Landing." The buildings located on the north side of Columbia Street were originally built to face the canal just to the north. After the canal was abandoned and the land sold for railroad right-of-way, these buildings were actually rebuilt so that the front faced south to Columbia Street. The eventual downfall of the canal was when the railroads came – it is ironic that the first locomotive to come to Fort Wayne was actually brought in on a canal boat and offloaded and re-assembled at The Landing. While the canal was in full operation – and for many years after it folded in 1883 – Columbia Street remained the No. 1 location for business in Fort Wayne. It was estimated that more than 2,500 businesses have come and gone from the once four-block-long street, including feed stores, blacksmith shops, grocery stores, theaters, dry good stores, cigar factories, barbershops, a number of hotels and on and on. Baking powder and Pinex cough syrup were two of the many products invented or developed on Columbia Street. A 17-year-old telegraph operator came to work on Columbia Street in 1864 but unfortunately was fired because he was too slow in sending Morse code. That young operator later became the most renowned inventor in the world – Thomas Alva Edison. In the early 1900s, businesses and hotels started to locate to the south, but Columbia Street remained the main artery for business until well into the 20th century.The article continues more information up to the current plans to refurbish The Landing.
- June 2018 started a Twitter Page thelandingfw: twitter.com/thelandingfw
In 1924, on 8 acres of land the Fort Wayne Hospital and Sanitarium, at 1640 Spy Run Avenue was established by Doctor Stamets. See biography of Henry Stamets, M.D. in Indiana, One Hundred and Fifty Years of American Development, Volume 3. The building is now the Shepherd’s House
. Lonnie Cox the executive director of the Shepard's House posted a Comment stating: when it was discussed September 14, 2018 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
The building you're talking about is now the Shepherds House property, a transitional living center primarily for veterans suffering from alcohol/ drug issues many with symptoms from PTSD and some non vets with the same. When we bought the building it was called the Landmark and served as an office building. It was originally built as the "Knight Mansion", a very prominent, in today's dollars, billionaire family. The Knights were the parents of movie star Carole Lombard's mother, in fact somewhere there's an old newspaper article describing the beautiful wedding of her and Carole's father in the parlor, which is now our office. At some point later it was turned into a holistic hospital. I'm not sure of the date but it was eventually bought by contractor J. R. Miller and Nancy ("Honeytree") Miller who upgraded the building to code then sold to Greg Pelosi for office space, which it remained until we bought it. I had heard that at one time there was a horse racetrack where the apartment buildings are next door that extended all the way down to the river. There was a lot of historical action going on around that area in the old days...the old house across the street was the home of Fort Wayne's first mayor, the whole area was the battlegrounds with the early Indian tribe and also many Indian burial grounds throughout.
On Crescent Avenue, now closed, could trace its history in Fort Wayne back to 1854. Before the Allen County Courthouse downtown was built, before the old City Hall building on East Berry Street was even a notion, before the Cathedral was planned and even before Lindenwood Cemetery took in its first grave, there was a florist in Fort Wayne called Lanternier. Word has it that the floral business was started by a family from France, and it was at one point on Calhoun Street. In time, Lanternier bought out a florist named Vesey and eventually it ended up in a little building on Crescent Avenue near State Boulevard. Read the rest of their story Wilting business ends Lanternier’s 158 years by Frank Gray of The Journal Gazette newspaper published September 9, 2012. Lantenier - Vesey Flowers - December 23, 1914 Fort Wayne News Christmas rose newspaper advertisement when Vesey's was at 2602 Thompson Avenue fromthe original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook.
LaSalle Inn, on Facebook, with Sion Bass House - Bed and Breakfast - the historic 1842 home of Fort Wayne’s most celebrated Civil War hero Sion Bass, has been added to the LaSalle B&B Inn. Fort Wayne’s only bed and breakfast. LaSalle Bed & Breadkfast - occupies 2 buildings: The Thomas Snook House and the Sion Bass House. Located side by side in the 500 block of W. Washington Blvd.
Law Enforcement - Firefighters Memorial
1001 N. Wells Street has a video and photos on their Facebook page.
History discussion by Randy Harter, a Fort Wayne historian and author of two books on local history, January 12, 2017, postcard statue photo discussed September 2, 2017and general Lawton Search on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
Was located where Headwaters Park and county jail, formerly Jailhouse Flats, are today between the confluence of the three rivers, Superior and Clinton Streets.
A wooden structure was erected at the park in 1883. Rebuilt several times, the place received a major overhaul in 1908 with new grandstands and a grass infield. After the damage caused by the Great Flood of 1913, additional restoration was required. It was readied as a host park for semi-pro Central League teams, including the Lifers when they moved up to a minor league status. That 1927 exhibition season, League Park’s grandstand was filled with more than 3,000 fans, occupying all sitting and standing room. Enthusiastic Fort Wayne fans streamed in, eager to witness high drama from Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and the other Yankee legends. The fans were not disappointed, as they sensed Babe’s charge into the annals of American history. Copied from Babe Ruth: A Big Hit in Fort Wayne by Tom Castaldi, local historian published August 24, 2016 on
Indiana Historical Bureaublog. The last two of Fort Wayne’s 12 major-league games were played at League Park in 1902. These American League regular-season contests were played in Fort Wayne, Indiana, by the Cleveland Bronchos in order to circumvent the Sunday blue laws in Cleveland. See League Park (Fort Wayne) by Bill Griggs and Jim Nitz published on Society for American Baseball Research. It was discussed April 17, 2017, photos posted August 26, 2017, September 17, 2017 Randy Harter, Fort Wayne historian and author, posted a short history with photo and a photo of the plaque at Headwaters Park was posted April 5, 2019 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
Liberty Bell in Fort Wayne
The Liberty Bell in Fort Wayne by Carmen Doyle published July 9, 2014 on Visit Fort Wayne. WORLD WAR I: 100 YEARS LATER How the Liberty Bell Won the Great War As it entered World War I, the United States was politically torn and financially challenged. An American icon came to the rescue. This article has a photo of the crowd along the railroad tracks in Fort Wayne. Special Report by Stephen Fried published April 2017 in The Smithsonian Magazine.
Built in 1990, 105-117 W. Wayne Street and 904 S. Calhoun Street. The site of the Lillie Building was once home to many well-recognized local establishments including Azar’s restaurant, Greenblatt’s Furs, and M&N Shoe Store. See Lillie Building history with photos and timeline on midtowncrossing.net.
People sometimes wonder why it's called Lima Road, also known as Indiana State Route 3? Looking at a map it shows Lima Road goes north from Fort Wayne through Kendallville to Howe, Indiana. Shortly after 1834 the town was settled in an area known as Mongoquinong by the Potawatomi Indians a name given to the prairie in northeastern Indiana. Sometime after 1834 it became know as Lima, an 1876 atlas map shows the name as Lima, and sometime before 1884 was renamed for John B. Howe a local banker. So Lima Road north out of Fort Wayne used to go to Lima, now it goes to Howe, Indiana.
Lincoln was shot April 14, 1865 by John Wilkes Booth at Ford's Theatre in Washington, D.C., and died the next day. Andrew Johnson becomes 17th president of the U.S. after Lincoln's assassination. Thousands of Lincoln photos, documents and books are online in the Lincoln Collection at the Allen County Public Library which also has speaker presentation videos archived as Lincoln Programs at the Allen County Public Library on Archive.org where the Description states:
This collection showcases library-sponsored programs based around the life and times of Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States. The Allen County Public Library has been documenting Lincoln events at the library since 2010. These video clips are available to authors, scholars, TV producers, educators, students, Lincoln enthusiasts, and the general public. Topics include little-known facts about the Lincoln family, descriptions of life during the American Civil War, details about Lincoln’s assassination and much more. The Friends of Lincoln Collection and highlighted in Fort Wayne collection preserves impressions of Lincoln for the ages by Bob Caylor published April 15, 2015 and stories, videos, photos and more to remember the day Abraham Lincoln was assassinated in Abraham Lincoln: 1809-1865 also published in The News-Sentinel newspaper. There are over 3,500 Lincoln Financial Foundation Collection items on Internet Archive. See a short video on A Touch of Class by
Eric Olson, 21Country Featured Reporterpublished July 19, 2018 on ABC WPTA21.com TV station.
Back to top
The country's first transcontinental road connecting the Atlantic Coast with the Pacific Coast, from Times Square in New York City to Lincoln Park in San Francisco opened in 1913. The Allen County section was dedicated June 21, 1915. The highway was not built with government contracts or even with taxpayer money. The need for better marking of highways, led the federal government to rename it U.S. Route 30.
- The Indiana Lincoln Highway Association has a Map / Directions page, a 1924 Lincoln Highway in Indianaand Indiana’s Lincoln Highway Byway A Turn-by-Turn Road Guide For the 1928 Route on page 12-13 is Fort Wayne and Allen County. They are also on Facebook.
- There is an interactive Offical map of the Lincoln Highway online.
- It goes through Fort Wayne along the old two lane portion of U.S. 30 - see 1915 route map.
- Across the continent by the Lincoln Highway (1915) is an Archive.org.
- Map location of city markers discussed in Lincoln Highway recognition reveals rich legacy - and may benefit economy by Kevin Leininger published May 5, 2009 in The News-Sentinel newspaper. Mayor marks history highway with new signs Route Honoring Lincoln Celebrates Heritage and Invites Tourism by City of Fort Wayne. Lincoln Hwy sign dedication today in Fort Wayne published May 21, 2009 on Lncoln Highway News has a map showing the location of five markers on the 1915 route.
- Former ARCH staffer, president of the Indiana Lincoln Highway Association, Jan Shupert-Arick wrote the book The Lincoln Highway across Indiana and the Community Voice: What happened to the Lincoln Highway arch? published October 20, 2011 in The News-Sentinel newspaper. See colored postcard of the arch posted October 26, 2018 in You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
- The postcard icon from the article shows the arch that stood on Maumee Avenue at Fort Wayne's eastern city limit.
- City's future gets a boost from its past Lincoln 'byway' designation could increase tourism, officials say by Kevin Leininger published October 20, 2011 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.
- The is a Lincoln Highway National Museum & Archives 102 Old Lincoln Way West Galion, Ohio.
- Lincoln Highway Celebrations about the Lincoln Highway Centennial Celebration posted June 12, 2013 by Nancy McCammon-Hansen on History Center Notes & Queries blog.
- Lincoln Highway Association sponsored the 2013 Lincoln Highway 100th Anniversary Tour June 21–30 reported on ABC TV as Lincoln Highway Centennial Road Trip and shows a Google map showing the original and modified routes.
- Tour shows off our part of old Lincoln Highway July 11, 2013 by Frank Gray of The Journal Gazette newspaper.
- The Lincoln Highway is Stop #14 on ARCH ( Architecture and Community Heritage) Central Downtown Trail.
- In 2010, the Indiana Lincoln Highway Association dedicated this interpretive site in New Haven, IN, at the New Haven City Hall, 815 Lincoln Highway E. It includes an original Lincoln Highway concrete post. Posted October 22, 2016 on Indiana Lincoln Highway Association on Facebook.
- Foster Park's Splendid Secret a campground stop on the 1913 Lincoln Highway by Eric Olsen, 21Country Featured Reporter January 26, 2017 on ABC WPTA21.com TV station.
- Several photos posted August 6, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
- An October 31, 2018 post by
The History Centeron Facebook has photos of maps, road construction, archways, Harrison Street Bridge, and more. One comment by Bruce Butgereit on the archway shown here stated:
There were two of these illuminated arches in Fort Wayne. They were erected in 1915. According to newspaper accounts, one was at Maumee and Edsall Ave. (when the Lincoln Highway followed Maumee into town (pre-one way streets) and the other was on Wells just south of State. No record has been found as to how long they existed or what happened to them.November 22, 2021 discussion of color postcard photos of two arches on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebookincludes one comment with a September 15, 1915 Journal Gazette newspaper photo with information.
- ACPL Presents: Lincoln Highway Across Indiana - Show 13700, 54 minute video - November 27, 2018 lecture recorded at by Access Fort Wayne public television at the Allen County Public Library.
- Honest Eats: Celebrating the Rich Food History of Indiana’s Historic Lincoln Highway America’s first coast-to-coast road that passed through Fort Wayne. Authors Laura Weston and Keith Elchert, 2016, M.T. Publishing Company.
Honest Eats by mtpub published May 6, 2016 on YouTube.
Keith Elchert and Laura Weston-Elchert and M.T. Publishing Company, Inc. have joined forces to bring you Honest Eats – Celebrating the Rich Food History of Indiana’s Historic Lincoln Highway. The book spotlights businesses and their owners; their love of history and the highway helps fuel their passion for both food and nostalgia. Packed with more than 200 contemporary and vintage photographs, Honest Eats also highlights featured locations and places from out of the past. This hardbound 9" x 12" publication contains 144 full-color pages with a color dust jacket.
Fort Wayne Government Access - City TV City View Date Created:December 14, 2020 Creator:Patrick Stelte December 2020. Topic this month: Lincoln Highway historical marker and dedication includes news conference and interview with Creager Smith, Historic Preservation Planner.
HISTORIC LINCOLN HIGHWAY MARKER AT VISIT FORT WAYNE the Indiana Lincoln Highway Association Installs Historic Route Marker at Fort Wayne Visitors Center posted Oct. 29, 2020 on Visit Fort Wayne.com. See their DRIVE THE HISTORIC LINCOLN HIGHWAY THROUGH FORT WAYNE, INDIANA by Visitors Center on Oct. 30, 2020. Discussed December 16, 2020 on the Lincoln Highway group on Facebook.
- November 25, 2021 discussion on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook.
Wow. Boy Scouts placing a 1928 concrete marker in Allen County, Indiana. Likely somewhere between Besancon and the Ohio state line.He commented to the photo post about my question whether it could be the same marker in front of Visit Fort Wayne as this photo was that it came from Indianapolis. Their Facebook page has many posts with photos referencing Fort Wayne and Lincoln Highway such as December 16, 2020 and November 1, 2020. A similar marker was posted in October 2020 in front of the Visit Fort Wayne office. It was also shared March 5, 2022 on Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana on Facebook and another share on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebookgenerated several comments with more photos including Creager Smith the Visit Fort Wayne marker coordinator.
The History CenterFacebook photo
Lincoln National Bank and Trust
Was chartered as The German American National Bank in 1905 from GMHFW. Photos and discussion January 1, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
Lincoln National Life Insurance Company
Was headquartered in Fort Wayne until 2008. Lincoln National Bank founded in 1905, received written permission from the late president’s son, Robert Todd Lincoln, to use Lincoln’s image as its logo. The The Journal Gazette newspaper was founded in 1863 to provide an editorial voice in support of Abraham Lincoln and the ideals for which he stood. Abe Lincoln grew up in Spencer County, Indiana from age 7 to 21 from Abe Lincoln's enduring Hoosier legacy at 150 years published April 14, 2015 in The Journal Gazette newspaper. See Lincoln National Life Insurance Company, Home Office Organization, Fort Wayne, Indiana, April 21, 1942 photo at The Genealogy Center. They completed their new building in 1923. The Abraham Lincoln “Hoosier Youth” statue, cast in Belgium, was unveiled in 1932. See early photo posted August 11, 2017 on Fort Wayne Food Tours.
For decades Indiana’s tallest building. Construction of the Lincoln Tower began in October 1929 and was completed in November 1930. At 22 stories and 312 feet tall, it was Indiana’s tallest building.
Lincoln National Bank and Trust was chartered as The German American National Bank in 1905. During World War I, anti-German sentiment was running high and therefore on May 31, 1918, the German American National Bank became Lincoln National Bank. Shortly after Lincoln National Bank and Trust was formed, President Charles Buesching commissioned a skyscraper to serve as headquarters for the new bank. Buesching considered it to be a monument to the German immigrants who settled the Fort Wayne area at the turn of the 20th century and formed the backbone of his investors, depositors, and customers. Buesching himself was a German immigrant. Read more on Wikipedia, Lincoln Tower Rises Above Its Times Resilience in Stone by Connie Haas Zuber on Fort Wayne Monthly. Now occupied by Tower Bank, see their History. See also Indiana Landmarks Where We Live which includes a 2 minute podcast. The Lincoln Tower posted July 11, 2013 by Tom Castaldi on the
History Center Notes & Queries blog. The Lincoln Tower is Stop #5 on the
ARCH ( Architecture and Community Heritage) Central Downtown Trail. A tour of Lincoln Tower: Art deco gem in Fort Wayne bustles with bank, snack shop, offices with photos by Lisa M. Esquivel Long published June 14, 2016 on The News-Sentinel newspaper. Restaurant review: Lincoln Tower Soda Fountain by Laura Weston-Elchert published June 14, 2016 in The News-Sentinel newspaper. See Southeast from Lincoln Tower – 1966 photo and history by Randy Harter, Fort Wayne historian and author, published August 8, 2018 and Lincoln Tower ca. 1970 published March 22, 2017 then posted March 22, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
Little River Wetlands Project
www.lrwp.org restores some the portage wetlands between the 3 rivers that were here when the pioneers first arrived. The portage was the only land barrier on shortest trade route using rivers between Quebec and New Orleans in 18th century North America. "Its project area encompasses 25,000 acres of land once known as the Great Marsh, in Allen and Huntington Counties, Indiana. When settlers first arrived in this area, they found a vast wetland complex teeming with wildlife. LRWP is working to restore what can be saved of this great and valuable ecosystem."
At least eight Lustron houses were built in Fort Wayne. Between the years of 1948 and 1950, the Lustron Corporation produced porcelain- enameled steel, prefabricated houses in response to the post-World War II housing shortage in the United States. Despite being heavily funded by the federal government, inadequate start-up cost estimates, production and construction problems, and design deficiencies eventually resulted in the failure of the Lustron Corporation after producing just 2,680 houses. Approximately 187 of those were built in Indiana. Copied from April 18, 2018 Facebook post by ARCH ( Architecture and Community Heritage).These steel-and-ceramic dwellings still stand, more than 60 years later by Patrick Sisson in Lustrons: Building an American Dream House by Aria Danaparamita at National Trust for Historic Preservation. Lustron Homes, the ‘50s prefabs that were ahead of their time published October 10, 2016 on Curbed.com. Sometimes confused with Sears homes. They came with an assembly manual and a serial number. See Rebuilding a Prefab Home in the Indiana Dunes One family’s journey to resurrecting a mid-century Lustron for their vacation home. Posted on February 28, 2019 by Indiana Landmarks.
There is an August 2, 2010 Indiana MPS Lustron Houses in Indiana 28-page document in the National Archives Catalog for the NRHP National Registry of Historic Places National Park Service. For anyone wondering why Lustron quit making houses, on page 7 of the 28 page document it states:
Standlund had projected the plant could produce 100 houses per day, but even at its best, the plant produced only 26 per day, and 50 per day were needed just to break even. On page 10 it states:
it is estimated that approximately 187 Lustrons were built in Indiana, about 180 of which are still standing. It is known that, according to Lustron shipping records, 142 houses had been shipped to locations in Indiana by December 31,1949. ... The majority of Lustron models built in Indiana were the 2-bedroom, Westchester Deluxe, which is not surprising since this was the best-selling model for the company. ... Two Indiana Lustron homes are individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) [one in Chesterton, another in Indianapolis]. Page 17 shows floor plans and a photo of a
2-bedroom Westchester Deluxe model. Fort Wayne, IN (photo by Jill Downs).
October 18, 2018 had a discussion on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook and April 28, 2022 on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook another discussion of local homes. The HRHP document on page 21, lists nearly 200 known addresses in Indiana. They accessed the Lustron Registry in 2008 at http://www.lustronregistry.org/ that still exists on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. NRHP states the Fort Wayne Lustrons are all Model 02 Westchester two-bedrooms and provides the following addresses from the Lustron Registry. Google Street View maps show photos of each house. The 2008 version of the Lustron Registry list of known houses in Indiana is on the Internet Archive Wayback Machinehttps://web.archive.org/web/20090503193608/http://www.lustronregistry.org/HTML/states/Indiana.htm. There is a 39 page document The illustrious lustron A Guide for the Disassembly and Preservation of America’s Modern Metal Marvel on ncmodernist.org.
- #64 - 316 Fleming Avenue, between Fairfield and Webster, the Lustron registry listed it in 2008 as gray. Google Street View map.
- #65 - 1928 Glenwood Drive, off North Anthony, a photo was posted April 29, 2022 on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook. The Lustron registry listed it in 2008 as gray with a 2 car garage. Google Street View map.
- #66 - 415 West Maple Grove near Fairfield and Hoagland on the south side of the block. The Lustron registry listed it in 2008 as blue-green. Google Street View map
- #67 - 2510 Oakridge Road, Serial Number: 1723, off of State (Brookview Terrace) is listed in the National Register. It's a contributing house in the Brookview--Irvington Park Historic District. From Creager Smith April 29, 2022 comment on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook. The Lustron registry listed it in 2008 as gray with a 1 car garage. Google Street View map.
- #68 - 3214 Parnell Avenue The Lustron registry listed it in 2008 as blue-green. Google Street View map.
- #69 - 1133 Somerset Lane, Serial Number 1721, off Parnell. The Lustron registry listed it in 2008 as gray. Google Street View map.
- #70 - 4105 Webster Street, between W. Rudisill and Lexington. The Lustron registry listed it in 2008 as tan. Google Street View map.
- #206 4127 Rosewood Drive, Serial Number 835, on corner of Aboite Center Road and Rosewood Drive was disassembled for removal to Ohio. Unknown if reassembled. The Lustron registry listed it in 2008 as tan. Google Street View map.
See our Luther Institute page
See Lutheran Foundation History by The Waynedale News Staff published May 12, 2004 on The Waynedale News.com.
Moved to West Jefferson Boulevard in 1992. By March 5, 2001 the last of the old hospital was torn down. Lutheran celebrating 30 years of doing heart transplants by Jennifer L. Boen was published July 13, 2015 in the The News-Sentinel newspaper. Old 1920s Lutheran Hospital was on Fairfield Avenue posted December 25, 2009 on Vintage Fort Wayne closed group on Facebook. Oakdale History: Lutheran Hospital Lutheran Hospital, 1913, Demolished 2000 is a good history with timeline by the Historic Oakdale Neighborhood Association. Photo of 1905 cornerstone posted May 26, 2018 on Facebook by Wunderkammer Company. Another photo of inscription on two sides of cornerstone along with Duemling Clinic discussed May 26, 2018 and the photo Postcard of new Lutheran Hospital, Fort Wayne, Indiana, ca. 1906 at The Indiana Albumwas posted February 16, 2019 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook
Lutheran Hospital - by Randy Harter, Fort Wayne historian and author, who gave permission in 2017 to repost his articles. Posted February 4, 2018 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Private group on Facebook.
This article was written for and is courtesy of Fort Wayne Reader newspaper where it was published February 3, 2018.
The Lutheran Hospital Association was organized by area Lutheran congregations in 1903 under the leadership of its director, the Reverend Philip Wambsganss. The association then purchased the former 21-room brick residence of Judge Lindley Ninde on Fairfield at Wildwood Avenues and remodeled it to accommodate 25 patient beds with the resulting dedication being held on Thanksgiving Day, November 24, 1904. Three months later an addition was already in the planning that would bring the hospital’s size to 75 rooms by 1906. In 1953, the original structure was entirely replaced when a $3-million project allowed for the construction of an entirely new hospital with a capacity of over 300 patients, which was dedicated in 1956. Over the years a number of further facility expansions continued to take place on the hospital’s 12-acre site.
In 1981, the hospital, landlocked on Fairfield Avenue, purchased substantial acreage at I-69 and US 24 with the intention of someday constructing a new hospital at that location. Six years later, in 1987, the announcement was made that the first phase of the new facility’s construction was ready to commence. At a cost of $92million, the new Lutheran Hospital was completed in 1992 and the final move from Fairfield Avenue to 7950 W. Jefferson Blvd took place.
In 1995, Quorum of Brentwood, TN bought Lutheran for $137millon. This sale resulted in the emergence of The Lutheran Foundation , which has invested and grown the proceeds since, thus far disbursing over $162million to faith and health & wellness based activities over a 10 county area in Northeast Indiana. Even with these distributions, in 2016, the Foundation held assets of over $200million.
The sale of Lutheran Hospital to Quorum did not include the hospital’s old 425,000 sq. ft. facilities on Fairfield Avenue, for which the foundation strived to find a new use. Finally, with no buyers in sight, the old hospital was razed in 2000, the grounds landscaped, and then reborn as Lutheran Park and Gardens in 2006. The only building left standing on the former hospital grounds, the original Duemling Clinic (small rectangular building pictured at the southwest corner of Fairfield and Home Avenue) is now The Lutheran Foundation’s offices.
After buying Lutheran, Quorum went on to purchase St. Joe Hospital in 1998. With St. Joe’s purchase came Dupont Medical Center, which had been built in 1990 on the 125 acres at I-69 and Dupont Road that St. Joe had purchased in 1984 for future healthcare expansion. From this site later evolved Dupont Hospital, whose groundbreaking then took place in 2000. Dallas-based Triad Hospitals then acquired Quorum (who owned a number of hospitals and health care facilities in addition to Lutheran/St. Joe/Dupont) in 2001 for $2.4billion. Then in 2007, Community Health Systems (CHS) of Franklin, TN purchased Triad, which included Lutheran Health Network, for $5.1billion, and who as of this writing remains the current owner.
(ca. 1985 Image Courtesy HPC/ACPL) Image is posted on both articles linked above.
Opened October 12, 1908 at 1014 South Calhoun Street as a home to vaudeville acts and movies. By 1929 it was operating as the Riley Theatre a burlesque place. Around 1942 it was renamed Wayne Theatre and was still open in 1955, but had closed by 1956, then was torn down in the 1960s. The downtown Hilton Hotel now stands on the site. From a colored postcard Wayne Theatre 1014 S. Calhoun Street, Fort Wayne, IN 46802 with comments on CinemaTreasures.com and page 26 of the book Fort Wayne by Randolph L. Harter.
Back to top