K Named Places in Allen County, Indiana

K & K Insurance

Nord Krauskopf was a roofing contractor and local race car driver competing at South Anthony Speedway and Fort Wayne Speedway. There was no insurance for drivers, so he would collect $1 from racers for a benevolent fund in case someone got hurt. After a few crashes, the fund was quickly depleted. Krauskopf had an idea to start selling insurance to race tracks, and in 1952 he contracted through Lloyd's of London and started touring race tracks. In May 2017 The Indiana Racing Memorial Association erected a plaque honoring 65 years in business. Copied from his story in Racing history organization honors K&K's track impact, Company founder was pioneer in insurance and team ownership by Blake Sebring published May 10, 2017 in The News-Sentinel newspaperand Local firm's legacy ensured 1st company to insure racers, tracks gets historical marker by Frank Gray published May 11, 2017 in The Journal Gazette newspaper.

Karpeles Manuscript Museum

Street View photo from Google maps in the former First Church of God building

Opened in late 2008 in the former First Church of God at 3039 Piqua Avenue. The collection included an original draft of the Bill of Rights, a 1503 copy of the Magna Carta and a Thanksgiving proclamation signed by George Washington. Exhibits rotate regularly.

2410 Fairfield Avenue Street View photo from Google Maps

May 1, 2013 opened at 2410 Fairfield Avenue a grand edifice built in 1927, the Christian Scientists used the building until the mid-'80s and was last occupied by the non-denominational Hope Center.

Architectural students should take note of the Karpeles Museum, originally the First Church of Christian Scientists at 2410 Fairfield, built in 1927 and the Emmanuel Missionary Baptist Church circa 1956, next door to the museum, that was the former B’nai Jacob Synagogue. First Baptist Church, across the street, was built in 1949 and the Fairfield Avenue Church of the Nazarene, now Wings of Deliverance, was constructed in 1964. From  Magnificent churches and stately homes stand out in newly designated Beechwood Historic District Jamie Duffy, December 7, 2021 CBS WANE-TV NewsChannel 15.

Welcome to Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum - Fort Wayne, Indiana October 20, 2019 by Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum Ft Wayne on YouTube

The Karpeles Museum in Fort Wayne occupies two buildings. Fairfield Hall at 2410 Fairfield Avenue is a former Church of Christ Scientist building and houses a rotating collection of historical documents, old and ancient ship models, and stone hieroglyphic inscriptions from the time of Moses.Piqua Hall is housed in a domed church at 3039 Piqua Avenue built in 1917 as the First Church of God. It houses a rotating collection of historical maps.

The Fort Wayne location provides an educational outreach program in the form of mini-museum displays that are set up in local schools and maintained by museum staff.

From Karpeles Manuscript Library Museums https://karpelesmanuscriptlibrarymuseums2.weebly.com/

  1. https://www.karpeles.com/
  2. Karpeles Manuscript Library Museums on Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.
  3. “Our primary goal is to share the vast collection of historical documents in Dr. Karpeles' collection and to share the need for documentation retention and historical clarity, no matter how painful,” says Al Brothers III, the Fort Wayne museum’s director. Copied from Item #4 in 5 museums you might not know about in northeast Indiana by Lauren Caggiano on November 7, 2018 in Input Fort Wayne.
  4. No longer online Faded but grand Fort Wayne church about to get new life as museum Karpeles Manuscript Museum plans move to former Fairfield church in May by Kevin Leininger published April 12, 2013 in The News-Sentinel newspaper.
  5. May 25, 2022 Facebook post had a comment by Creager Smith who posted that both Fort Wayne locations in former church buildings had closed and were for sale because Philanthropist David Karpeles, 86, Has Died Known in Santa Barbara for His Extensive Manuscript Museum by Indy Staff published February 10, 2022 at the Santa Barbara Independent.
  6. David Karpeles remembered for legacy, manuscript collection Katherine Zehnder February 11, 2022 Santa Barbara News-Press.
  7. August 6, 2023 post by Packard Area Planning Alliance (PAPA) on Facebook:

    Want to help direct the future of the Karpeles Manuscript Library?

Keenan Hotel

See Hotel Keenan.

Keltsch Pharmacy

Discussed August 13, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook


See our Kekionga page.

Kekionga Ball Grounds 1869-1871

Page 468, FORT WAYNE'S FIRST BASEBALL GROUNDS. Contrary to the general impression, the Kekionga baseball team was not the first to be organized in Fort Wayne. In 1862 — six years before the organization of the Kekiongas by Charles F. Taylor and R. J. Fisher — the Summit City club was formed, with Charles S. Bracken- ridge as president. (See Chapter XXXVIII.) At that time Allen Hamilton donated the use of his vacant grounds, now a crowded business section west of Calhoun street and south of Lewis street. in The pictorial history of Fort Wayne, Indiana : a review of two centuries of occupation of the region about the head of the Maumee River by Griswold, B. J. (Bert Joseph), 1873-1927Taylor, Samuel R., Mrs Publication date 1917 on Archive.org

Page 474, A tract of ground north of Camp Allen, in Nebraska, between the canal and West Main street, was converted into a baseball park for the lively contests which occurred in 1870 and succeeding years. The citizens raised a fund to erect a grandstand, the ornamental central section of which was christened "The Grand Duchess." A monument marking the location of the first professional baseball league game between the Fort Wayne Kekiongas and the Cleveland Forest Citys on May 4, 1871 in Camp Allen Park in Fort Wayne was erected in May 2017. Fort Wayne won 2-0.

See our sections on Baseball, Camp Allen, Fort Wayne Daisies, League Park, Kekionga Baseball Team, Parkview Field, Fort Wayne TinCaps and Fort Wayne Wizards.

  1. Fort Wayne Kekiongas at Project Ball Parks.
  2. Google photos of Kekionga Ball Grounds
  3. Monument at Fort Wayne park marks first-ever baseball game published May 3, 2017 by CBS WANE-TV NewsChannel 15.
  4. Kekionga Ball Grounds (Fort Wayne) by Bill Griggs and Jim Nitz and May 4, 1871: Association Ball: Kekionga vs. Forest City by John Thorn both at Society for American Baseball Research.
  5. Kekionga Base Ball Grounds at Baseball Reference.
  6. Kekionga Ball Grounds at Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia
  7. Photos of both teams see Baseball’s First League Game: May 4, 1871 by John Thorn at Our Game MLBlogs.com.
  8. Photos and discussion April 4, 2018 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.

Dedication of monument marking first pro baseball game May 20, 2017 WANE 15 News on YouTube.

Baseball’s first professional league game, 150 years ago posted Jul 6, 2022 This story originally aired: May. 4, 2021 FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA) - by Daniel Beals on YouTube.
May 4 is a special day in baseball, especially here in 21Country. A monument marks a historic site at Camp Allen Park, alongside the St. Marys River. “You could argue that Fort Wayne was part of the first professional sports league in America, which is kind of cool,” sports historian Blake Sebring told us. Sebring has literally written the book on sports history in Fort Wayne. “The Kekiongas were a club team in Fort Wayne,” he said, “they had a little bit of a reputation in the midwest as being a good team.” In 1871, they were invited to join the National Association of Professional Baseball Players. A city in Ohio was slated to make history that day. But Mother Nature had other plans.

Charlie’s project on Kekionga Ball Grounds, site of the first Major League Baseball game in history posted May 28, 2020 by Wendy Wilsonon YouTube
On May 4, 1871, Fort Wayne hosted the first ever MLB game in baseball

Kekionga Baseball Team

See Fort Wayne Kekionga Baseball Team.

Keystone Grocery

833 Florence Street. 1911 photo and discussion September 24, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.

Killians Fireworks

Was on Goshen Road discussed July 4, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.

Back to top

Martin Luther King Memorial Bridge

MLK Bridge Opening Night

John McGauley photograph MLK Bridge Opening Night posted June 4, 2012 on flickr
Hundreds of pedestrians walk across the Martin Luther King Jr. Bridge in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana, on its opening night in 2012.

Hundreds attend new MLK Bridge ceremony June 4, 2012 by CBS WANE-TV NewsChannel 15YouTube video

Dedicated June 4, 2012, the bridge " includes 25 plaques with quotes from Dr. King, sculptural etchings, decorative paving, a soaring 50-foot high arch, seating midway across the bridge, landscaping that connects to the trail and headwaters park and state-of-the-art lighting, which displays millions of shades of color. Monuments on each end of the bridge feature a four by six cast relief of Dr. King, accepting the Nobel Peace Prize. Bordering the bridge walkways are decorative stainless steel railings, with and words illustrating Dr. King's beliefs laser cut into the railing." From CityofFortWayne.org CITY LANDMARK RECEIVES STATE HONOR MLK Bridge Recognized by Landscape Architects where "The Indiana Chapter of ASLA recently recognized bridge construction partners -- architectural firm DLZ Indiana, the Indiana Department of Transportation and the City of Fort Wayne -- by presenting the Honor Award for Constructed Works." March 11, 2013 Another award for the MLK Bridge - Engineering Excellence Award from Amer. Council of Eng. “Frozen in Time,” a time-lapse photo of the Martin Luther King Jr. Bridge in Fort Wayne, will be on display for the next year in the U.S. Capitol Building, according to a statement issued by the school. From Carroll student to be honored for MLK artwork published May 29, 2013 The Journal Gazette newspaper. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Bridge photos on cityofgortwayne.org.

Kings - Kings A & I

King Trunk and Leather Works, Inc. was founded in 1919 by Morris King. In later years the company was run by brothers Harry H. and Manuel (Manny) K. and then James R. King, Manuel's son. In 1926 King Trunk and Leather Works purchased the Allerding & Ittenbach Co. that had been founded in 1902 and was known as the A & I store. King's later combined the two stores names becoming Kings A & I Leather and Camera Shop. Kings first store was located in the 1100 block of S. Calhoun. They moved to 916 S. Calhoun in 1940. In 1952 they hired local architect A. M. Strauss to remodel 814 S. Calhoun to house both stores. King's A & I remained at this location until closing in 1984. They opened a store at Glenbrook Mall in 1970 and remained there, occupying several locations in the mall, until closing in 1994.. Copied from the Kings A & I Collection with photos courtesy of James R. King on the Allen County Community Album at the ACPL. Randy Harter, Fort Wayne historian and authorworked with James King, the third generation owner of Kings A & I, to scan and catalog 58 images of the family’s downtown fine leather and luggage store(s), the last location of which was on Calhoun (now the site of the Dash-In), along with his stores in Glenbrook Mall. August 5, 2019 Randy posted an image showing the northeast corner of Calhoun and Wayne Streets on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook. You can see the Lincoln Tower rising above and behind the building.

Kintz Diner

August 4, 2019 post by the Indiana Lincoln Highway Association on Facebeook:

Kintz Diner No. 1 - believed to be on Maumee Rd (Lincoln Highway) east side of Fort Wayne, IN - from an original photograph used to make a Dexter Silvercraft postcard:

Grandson posted newpaper ad for Sunshine Diner No. 2 in comments for opening Sunday, April 5, 1936.







Klug Park

Discussed November 27, 2022 on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook.

Knee House

Jacob A. Knee Residence by Randal Relfsnider and Craig Leonard, local historic preservation consultant, at the The Genealogy Center at the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Several newspaper articles were written in 1974 and formerly shared online to Facebook pages no longer available.

Concrete and stucco art decco house begun in 1938, then after 14 years of labor was abandoned in 1951 when Jacob Knee died of a heart attack. Also known as the Cement House, Concrete House, The Rock, or White Mansion was behind the former Mr. Wiggs south of Hanna Street on U.S. 27, near John Street and the old Jewish Cemetery on Decatur Road, is no longer there. Was replaced by duplexes in 1995 from a The News-Sentinel newspaperarticle shared June 17, 2013 in a post on the original Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana page on Facebook.

A digital copy of the Jacob A. Knee Residence newspaper article by Kevin Leininger March 25, 1988 in The News-Sentinel newspaperis in the Allen County Public Library Digital Collections at the Allen County Public Library. It was shared February 14, 2023 on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook.

April 18, 2022 discussion on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook.

Nancy Mullins Swain says: This house was built by my father's cousins, Jake and Wayne Knee. One of the builders lived in the house with his elderly mother until 1961. Legend says that a man built the house for his paralyzed wife and spent no expense to make sure her wheelchair could move freely throughout the house. When the woman died, the man walked away from the house before it could be finished. Over the years the house was destroyed by the elements and the ruins are supposedly haunted by the ghost of his wife. From the June 11, 2008 A Guide to the Ghosts and Legends of Fort Wayne, Indiana as of Janaury 9, 2013. See also Name That Ft. Wayne Landmark with photo and lots of comments in a discussion May 10, 2008 on Fort Wayne Left blog still there in 2022. January 9, 2013 discussion .

Back to top

Koehler House

Corner of Webster and West Rudisill Streets in Street View photo from Google maps

A July 31, 2022 post byHistoric 07 District - Fort Wayne on Facebook.

The home at the corner of Webster and Rudisill is one of the oldest homes on the entire south end of town. Built in the 1880s, it was initially the home of Paul and Mary Koehler, who were married in 1881. Paul operated a brickyard on the property, perhaps one of a handful in Fort Wayne at the time. Paul created a “brickyard neighborhood” bound by Webster, Rudisill, French, and Hoagland, where residences and the brickyard itself existed. This is why if you drive down French Street, you see multiple small but old brick homes. Today’s story is about an Indiana Supreme Court case involving this brickyard.

In 1892, one of Koehler’s employees was delivering a load of bricks with a team of horses. Shortly after, Mose Read, the agent for the Fort Wayne Humane Society, ordered the employee to drive to the store of George Loesch on Barr Street. George was the secretary of the Fort Wayne Humane Society. The two men allegedly started to inspect the horses while also telling the employee that both he (and Koehler as the owner) were treating the horses inhumanely.

At the time, there was a broad legal authority within the State of Indiana for society leaders to prevent animal cruelty. Specifically, the law stated that any society leader “may kill or cause to be killed any animal found neglected or abandoned and which, in the opinion of three reputable citizens, is injured or diseased past recovery, or, by age, has become useless.” The agent and the secretary sought the opinions of three reputable citizens, who all agreed the horses were useless. Upon deciding on this, the agent and secretary shot the horses in front of the employee. Koehler, only finding out later, filed a lawsuit.

The lawsuit went all the way up to the Indiana Supreme Court. At issue in the case was whether the law was even valid, considering it does not require notice or due process when it results in the destruction of one’s property. Ultimately, the Supreme Court held the law invalid and sided with Koehler because this state-initiated property deprivation was without due process.

Koehlinger Security Technology, Inc.

Loss prevention products & services since 1913. 421 East Washington Blvd. Facebook page. Koehlinger Lock and Key Service on one side, and Koehlinger Toy Store on the other side, shared the same building from Local Business a Community Player for 100 Years Eric Olsen video on 21Country at 21AliveNews.com.

Kozma Brothers Grocery

April 10, 2019 post by the Indiana Historical Society on Facebook:

George and Michael Kozma founded Kozma Bros. in Fort Wayne in 1916 at 1333 Lafayette St. A year later, they moved their store to 1402 Hanna St., pictured here in 1934. It remained there until the brothers sold it to Louis Christ in 1938. Christ kept the name and the store was open until 1945.

April 11, 2019 comment by Greg Michell on Facebook to ACGSI April 10, 2019 post sharing the Indiana Historical Society post above:

Ad from Fort Wayne Sentinel, 25 Jan 1918.

Kraeger's Park - Taylor's Dream Playground

For the 5th time, Fort Wayne has been named "Playful City USA"! This is a great testament to our great parks and trails...

Posted by Visit Fort Wayne on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 post by Visit Fort Wayne on Facebook:

For the 5th time, Fort Wayne has been named "Playful City USA"! This is a great testament to our great parks and trails system, as well as all of the hard work of a number of community organizations to make Fort Wayne a great place for kids to play and grow! http://www.visitfortwayne.com/visi.../fort-wayne-trails-2...

Kreager Park - Boundless Playground at City of Fort Wayne Parks & Recreation.

Check out the NEW outdoor fitness equipment at Kreager Park!! There are over 20 different pieces of fitness equipment...

Posted by Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation on Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 post by Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation on Facebook:

Check out the NEW outdoor fitness equipment at Kreager Park!! There are over 20 different pieces of fitness equipment that can be used by all fitness levels including 3 ADA accessible pieces of equipment. The equipment is FREE to the public and is available for those age 14 and older. If you are interested in taking a class at our new Klub Kreager Fitness, check out the following link and complete the survey: Klub Kreager Fitness

Krees Skating Rink

Roller skate photos titled: Sports in Fort Wayne at theVirtual Exhibits at The History Center.

Date:c. 1954; Description:White high top leather shoe bolted to ferrous frame; toe brake of white plastic; sole edge and heel painted orange; marked "PRO-TECK-TOE (On toe brake)".
Used by donor in early 1950s at her fathers (Lester Kreigh) rink, Kree's Roller Skating. The rink operated from 1936 to June 1973. 

August 24, 2021 post by The History Center on Facebook:

Roller Skates used at Kree's Roller Skating Rink from 1936 to early 1950s. The rink was operated from 1936 - June 1973.

Just off Livingston Avenue up the hill from Spy Run, social media commetns say it was struck by lightening in 2001 and burned to the ground. Krees Skating discussed several times on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook. A September 18, 2011 comment shows their Krees Skating label. Mentioned in a comment February 21, 2023 on True Fort Wayne Indiana History on Facebook.

Kresge-Groth Building

Built around 1926, 912 S. Calhoun Street, it originally housed a dimestore. See Kresge-Groth Building history with photos and timeline on midtowncrossing.net. Discussed June 15, 2016 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook.

Kroger Grocery Stores

1950s stores discussed September 10, 2017 on You are positively from Fort Wayne, if you remember... Archived group only visible to existing members on Facebook

Kuehnert Dairy Farm

6532 W. Cook Road, kuehnertdairy.com. The Kuehnert family of Fort Wayne was establish in the 1890s, so the farm is now operated by the fifth and sixth generation of farmers. Looking at the World Through Holstein-Spotted Glasses by by Jackie Barber published June 5, 2013 on Winners Drink Milk American Dairy Assoication of Indiana blog. Kuehnert Dairy Farm & Fall Festival published on Visit Fort Wayne.

June 5, 2013 post by Kuehnert Dairy Farm on Facebook:

January 3, 2023 post by Kuehnert Dairy Farm on Facebook:

It’s a new year, and a new addition to our dairy will open soon! Construction of our state-of-the-art milk house is on schedule. When it opens this summer, we’ll be bottling our products and selling it at our new, on-farm store! Check out artist renderings of the milk house and receive email updates with special offers! https://www.kuehnertdairy.com/kuehnert-milk-house-coming...

May 8, 2023 post by Kuehnert Dairy Farm on Facebook:

This past weekend, we lost this lovely woman we knew as Mom, Grandma, and Great-Grandma, Delores Kuehnert. She has been a leading light to our family and this farm for the past 70 years. We feel so blessed and are so thankful for her life so well lived.

Dolores Mae Kuehnert February 2, 1929 - May 6, 2023, Covington Memorial Funeral Home obituary.

May 15, 2023 post by Kuehnert Dairy Farm on Facebook:

Its been a rough week to say the least. This weekend we also said our goodbyes to the man we all known as Dad, Grandpa and Great-Grandpa, Melvin Kuehnert.

On the other hand, he had an amazing week! He drove his buggy down to the farm for his last stroll, checked on the cows, inspected how we were coming with spring farm machinery maintenance and viewed the construction progress of Kuehnert Milk House. He had the biggest smile on his face, so very proud of his family, their hard work and the legacy he was leaving behind! He was surrounded by his family and friends as he said his farewells to his bride of 73 years.

Melvin was the glue that held us all together. We are all going to miss him so very much. However, his work here on earth was complete, and it was his time to meet his Lord and Savior. We are thankful and blessed for his life so well lived.

Melvin C. Kuehnert, October 14, 1928 - May 14, 2023, Covington Memorial Funeral Home obituary

May 20, 2023 post by Indiana Dairy on Facebook:

Where were you on race day 2021? #VeteranMilkPerson Andrew Kuehnert and #RookieMilkPerson Jill Houin were delivering Whole Milk to winner Simon Pagenaud during the #greatestspecticalinracing. Every #Indy500 since 1956 has had a milk tradition...and this year will be no different because #WinnersDrinkMilk!

May 28, 2023 post by Kuehnert Dairy Farm on Facebook:

Its Race Day! The race-winner drinking milk - the most iconic tradition of the Indianapolis 500 and we were so honored to be part of it!

Part of our involvement included hosting Rutledge Wood and the NBC Sports team at the farm before the race, where we got to milk cheers to the history of our farm and to the history made at every Indy 500 race: Rutledge Wood tours farm where Indy 500 milk is made | Indy 500 | Motorsports on NBC

From all of us here at Kuehnert Dairy Farm, milk cheers to you and good luck drivers!

Rutledge Wood tours farm where Indy 500 milk is made | Indy 500 | Motorsports on NBC May 25, 2019 Motorsports on NBC on YouTube
Join Rutledge Wood as he visits Kuehnert Dairy Farm in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where the milk is made for the winner of the Indianapolis 500.

December 27, 2023 post by Kuehnert Dairy Farm on Facebook:

Our Lely milking robots allow our "Holstein ladies" the freedom to be milked on their own schedule! Producing high-quality milk requires healthy and comfortable cows. The milking robots also allow us to have flexibility in our daily management practices as well as a better work-life balance.

Kuhne house

Charles W. Kuhne House 802-804 West Washington, at entry to West Central Historic District, adjoins the historic Mary Rockhill-Tyler House. From ARCH RESCUES HISTORIC WEST CENTRAL HOMES: SEEKING RESTORATION OWNER by The Waynedale News Staff published October 1, 2008.

Back to top

Page updated: